What happen to Philosophyforum.com?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Was that his right to take the money so it is tough luck for everyone who got hurt, to all of the stakeholders who got wiped out

as a number of us discovered when the NYT shut down Abuzz, it really was a case of tough luck. The only stakeholders that really matter, bottom line, are the ones with a financial interest.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:58 am
My take is that it was regrettable that Philforum had to close but I guess it never found any kind of sustainable revenue model. This kind of thing happens all the time in 'the New Media' and on a much larger scale than this. I guess the guy who started it thought that maybe it could be monetized but never figured out how, I presume the party who bought it thought the same, but couldn't make anything happen. I suppose the only thing I would have liked to have done differently, had I known what was going to happen, would have been I would have been prepared to pay a sub to have kept the place afloat. It was a really excellent format and was one of the slickest apps I have ever used. The video gallery was great, in particular.

But, hey, if you can't be philosophical about it, then what the...? Philosophy is a performance art, and I have learned a ton of stuff from just interacting with people, and really having to know where I stand on issues, and having to think things through. So all in all, I wouldn't change a thing, I have been posting to online forums since Jan 09, and it is the thing I like best about the internet. So I'm grateful the merge happened, it could have been getting up one morning to a Domain Not Found error, which would have been a lot worse.
dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 04:08 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Was that his right to take the money so it is tough luck for everyone who got hurt, to all of the stakeholders who got wiped out

as a number of us discovered when the NYT shut down Abuzz, it really was a case of tough luck. The only stakeholders that really matter, bottom line, are the ones with a financial interest.

And only those with a LOT of that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 04:09 am
@jeeprs,
Yes.

In the case of the forum many of us met at, and still recall with great fondness, it was a horrid, slow death...with removal of any financial support, moderation and maintenance, and a descent into a kind of cyber madness.

Quite Heart of Darkness-ish!

0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:33 am
@platorepublic,
Hi ! See U are here too. How have U been ? PepI <0>
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:42 am
@Krumple,
Hi Krumble ! Takes a while to get used to the new forum; still have a prefab atavar ! No chat, no kitchen... a bit meager merger
\PepI ud Jisp
dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:46 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Hi Krumble ! Takes a while to get used to the new forum; still have a prefab atavar ! No chat, no kitchen... a bit meager merger
\PepI ud Jisp

You can upload an avatar at gravatar.com.
0 Replies