xris

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167441 wrote:
But we saved your bacon in 1917, 1940's, and then again with the Marshall Plan. Speaking of gratitude. Next time, we'll pull the plug and let the island sink.
Who said I was ungrateful ? its you that has made that remark not I.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:55 pm
@xris,
xris;167721 wrote:
Who said I was ungrateful ? its you that has made that remark not I.

I just think we'll pull the plug anyway! Not enough of you voted Tory,
xris

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167735 wrote:
Not that many fools, not yet.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167735 wrote:

Well, if the tories hadn't made a leader of the biggest berk in Britian they'd probably be enjoying a healthy majority right now. It's one thing being a sensibly centre-right party, but another to fight a presidential style campaign centred round a drivelling social retard heir and attempting to have him relate to a society in recession.

Still, it's resulted in this sort of part whig thing, which is interesting.
Khethil

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:59 pm
@Dave Allen,
I've been following this story too and find it just another example of a group trying to emphasize that which they think is important and dumping what they feel isn't. It's no better or worse than any other type of cherry-picking from history.

The problem with history is its enormity and complexity. Depending on where you're coming from (value-wise), you can construct an entire curriculum filled with legitimate historical examples to spin it your way. We tend to think in a linear fashion, as if history is comprised of dots on a line all in sequence. The truth is, many events and prominent figures were simultaneously making their way into history at the same time, for any time in question; stacking, weaving and branching off. Choose any one person, say quotes (for example) and you'll find as many consistencies as contradictions. Choose any historical event, and you'll find others interacting with it, influencing it, while a myriad of others were happening (starting, beginning, etc.) concurrently. Discuss *this* one and you'll get a distinctly different "intonation" than if you just discuss *that* one - and you can't discuss or teach it all.

So no, I wouldn't call it "re-writing history" - history's already written. They're just wanting to change what is being taught to jive with their values. And no, I don't like it at all; but its been done before and it'll be done again depending on who's holding the pen.

Thanks
kennethamy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:23 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;167753 wrote:

So no, I wouldn't call it "re-writing history" - history's already written. They're just wanting to change what is being taught to jive with their values. And no, I don't like it at all; but its been done before and it'll be done again depending on who's holding the pen.

Thanks

"Jive" is just great! But I think you want, "jibe".
Khethil

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:48 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167783 wrote:
"Jive" is just great! But I think you want, "jibe".

No, "jive" is the word I wanted. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have the meaning I thought it did, and tend to use it for. I suppose "coincide" is probably more proper.

Thanks
xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:00 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;168531 wrote:
No, "jive" is the word I wanted. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have the meaning I thought it did, and tend to use it for. I suppose "coincide" is probably more proper.

Thanks
I thought it a very apt and descriptive word, Khethil...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:05 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;168531 wrote:

Thanks

I still think you wanted "jibe". Look it up.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 09:05 AM ----------

xris;168537 wrote:
I thought it a very apt and descriptive word, Khethil...

Any particular reason for that?
xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:14 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168538 wrote:

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 09:05 AM ----------

Any particular reason for that?
To dance wildly with their values,jive... not to taunt,gibe .....and really just to make exception to your pedantic nature.
Khethil

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:16 am
@kennethamy,
Ah, I love a nice, long sail off topic now and then Smile

kennethamy;168538 wrote:

Don't need to, I know what it means.

... and although that definition fits; No - that's not what I wanted. Somehow, along the way (likely through some association), I got the wrong meaning of the word "jive" in my head. Hell, I've been using it that way for years,"This just doesn't jive for me" (i.e., make sense) or "These taxes don't jive with what City Council's doing" (i.e., to represent a disparate condition).

I think I got that one from Dad. He was into all that Jive :sarcastic:
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:15 am
@xris,
xris;168543 wrote:
To dance wildly with their values,jive... not to taunt,gibe .....and really just to make exception to your pedantic nature.

What would that meaning of "jive" have to do with it? Anything?
Khethil

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:22 am
@qualia,
I'm going to change my title to "Jive Talker"
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 09:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168565 wrote:
What would that meaning of "jive" have to do with it? Anything?
The wild bit..Its not the point, someone bothers to reply and you don't comment on the content but make inconsequential remarks about a particular word. You could have read through it or made your own assumptions. We are not as perfect as you remember.
jack phil

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:22 pm
@qualia,
qualia;166228 wrote:
This Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns | World news | The Guardian is an interesting article from the UK's national newspaper, The Guardian.

The article raises the concern of some in America who believe that there is "a clutch of Christian evangelists and social conservatives who have grasped control of the [Texan] state's education board" with the intention of "indoctrinating children by promoting rightwing views on religion, economics and guns while diminishing the science of evolution, the civil rights movement and the horrors of slavery."

Clearly, to assume that there is only the possibility of a given narrative is as erroneous as to assume that a given map is the only one possible. Histories are not innocent stories but always ideologial constructs.

So, in that light, I was wondering if anyone had their own ideas or opinions about what is happening in the States?

Is this a growing sign of sections of American culture recovering from or reacting against the effect of the Enlightenment's project? Or, again, do you understand this "rewriting of history" as something of a positive change or, as some writers are suggesting, a degeneration of U.S education which is becoming the laughing stock of the more 'enlightened' world etc, etc?

What do you think is going on here? :detective:

US History has already been changed numerous times. This is just icing on the cake.

Some rhetorical questions:

Were we not founded on a National Bank under the Legislative Branch?

Why is Alexander Hamilton not considered an economist in any 'respectable' anthology?

Why are British economists glorified in American History?

Why does the Federal Reserve exist, considering it is unconstitutional?

Where is the 'for the people, by the people' in this country?

Why is Ayn Rand and 'Free' Trade still touted as rational when the biggest transfer of wealth in the history of man has taken place in the last decade?

Why are Robber Barons called Leaders of Industry?

Why are religious people always the badguys and sexual deviants heroes?

Why is this country being 'evolved' into a service industry?

Why did I cease seeking a degree in journalism? (philosophy)

etc.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:13 pm
@xris,
xris;168584 wrote:
The wild bit..Its not the point, someone bothers to reply and you don't comment on the content but make inconsequential remarks about a particular word. You could have read through it or made your own assumptions. We are not as perfect as you remember.

I wonder what any of this means. Coherent English spoken on this Forum.
xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168679 wrote:
I wonder what any of this means. Coherent English spoken on this Forum.
What dont you understand ?
kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:27 pm
@xris,
xris;168685 wrote:
What dont you understand ?

All of it. And what your point (if any) is.
xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168692 wrote:
All of it. And what your point (if any) is.

Just another one of your silly replies. Ive grown used to them.
Jebediah

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:24 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;168531 wrote:

I think jibe means something like "coincide".

I've always said jive instead of jibe, it's an entertaining mistake if you look at the definitions though.
0 Replies