Does time really exist?

mark noble

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:03 am
@xris,
xris;165262 wrote:
If you see the rings of a tree, do you see time or the product of time. Time is a result of an event, without an event we have no time. What really surprises me is that we cant imagine an existence without experiencing time.

If time is relevant to other forces why should time be dependent on us experiencing it. If other forces change and change time, why is our ability to alter time, so difficult.

Hi Xris,

I posted you a rather long post yesterday, guess what? (page cannot be displayed)! When I look at the rings of a tree, I see a material process of expansion. It is not time or the product of, but it is measurable by.
Time is not the result of an event, but a human concept that regulates order in events, so we can assosciate with them in a sentient fashion.
Time originated in the human mind Xris, like all measurements. We don't experience it - We apply it, it is ours, and ours alone. It is not relevant to other forces, it is only used to recognise and measure those other forces.
We can't alter time, or events.

Remember Xris, this is only my opinion, so don't let it frustrate you. You see time as a thing, and I see it as an idea. That is the only conflict of interest.

Thank you Xris, great to interact with you again! Prosper magnificently, sir.

Mark...
xris

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:10 am
@mark noble,
mark noble;165269 wrote:
Hi Xris,

I posted you a rather long post yesterday, guess what? (page cannot be displayed)! When I look at the rings of a tree, I see a material process of expansion. It is not time or the product of, but it is measurable by.
Time is not the result of an event, but a human concept that regulates order in events, so we can assosciate with them in a sentient fashion.
Time originated in the human mind Xris, like all measurements. We don't experience it - We apply it, it is ours, and ours alone. It is not relevant to other forces, it is only used to recognise and measure those other forces.
We can't alter time, or events.

Remember Xris, this is only my opinion, so don't let it frustrate you. You see time as a thing, and I see it as an idea. That is the only conflict of interest.

Thank you Xris, great to interact with you again! Prosper magnificently, sir.

Mark...
But without the time for those rings to grow, expand, we would not see them. I appreciate we only ever have memory of the past and an expectation of the future. This is how we experience time, the NOW is the human concept, not the idea of time. We never have this now but time flows and we observes its movement by watching events, thats time. thanks xris...
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:30 am
@Diogenes phil,
Here, i would like to slip in.

A few thoughts, all of which is not mine alone.

Please consider;
1) Time is movement of thoughts

2) Time means difference between two points, which is also distance.

3) Time is a kind of a process

4) Time is change

5) Time is also constant

6) Time is Life (which is of course common sense)
xris

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 08:54 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
time is not constant, im afraid.
Fido

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:18 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;165266 wrote:
what the hell is a "hypothetical world"? There are possible worlds, and there is a technical meaning associated with it. Our world fits the bill of a possible world. What i am doing here is engaging in counterfactual reasoning. If we are in a different possible worlds( not this world), what would it be like, and in all cases, it would be the same as if we are not.

No turing...Our world is a real world, and fantasy worlds are fictions... These imaginary worlds teach us nothing about the world in fact, and they teach us nothing about our morality... We live and die in this world, and though we may all have a different subjective version of this single reality in our consciousness, it is a pointless exercise to think that by creating a fictive world that we can make it produce some objective fact... Reason on the world you have, and not on the world you have not...Trust me please: reason is all based upon physical reality... Once a world is created out of imagination, it no longer is a physical world, but a moral world following moral logic which compared to physical logic is not logic at all...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:29 am
@Fido,
Fido;165314 wrote:
No turing...Our world is a real world, and fantasy worlds are fictions... These imaginary worlds teach us nothing about the world in fact, and they teach us nothing about our morality... We live and die in this world, and though we may all have a different subjective version of this single reality in our consciousness, it is a pointless exercise to think that by creating a fictive world that we can make it produce some objective fact... Reason on the world you have, and not on the world you have not...Trust me please: reason is all based upon physical reality... Once a world is created out of imagination, it no longer is a physical world, but a moral world following moral logic which compared to physical logic is not logic at all...

This is a really pathetic piece of reasoning. You tell me to "trust you". Why the hell would i do that? "Possibles worlds" has a technical meaning. It means all logically possible worlds. Our world is obviously logically possible, since we exist, and so our world is one of many possible worlds. Now, most, if not all modern philosophers deals with in one way or another with possible worlds, because it is a nice tool used in modern philosophy. Don` t doubt it, because it is just a fact. You can verified it by reading academic papers. Some minority of people actual think that all logically possible worlds exist, and this is known as modal realism. I happen to believe that. Next time, don ` t tell me what i can, or cannot think. It is insulting to me, and the spirit of philosophical debate.
mark noble

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:36 am
@xris,
xris;165271 wrote:
we observes its movement by watching events, thats time. thanks xris...

Hi Xris,

Is it too unreasonable to suggest - We observe the events' (not time) movements and apply time, in relation to them? Not watch time, but the event?

Thank you Xris, see you soon, and prosper wonderfully.

Mark...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:35 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;165321 wrote:
This is a really pathetic piece of reasoning. You tell me to "trust you". Why the hell would i do that? "Possibles worlds" has a technical meaning. It means all logically possible worlds. Our world is obviously logically possible, since we exist, and so our world is one of many possible worlds. Now, most, if not all modern philosophers deals with in one way or another with possible worlds, because it is a nice tool used in modern philosophy. Don` t doubt it, because it is just a fact. You can verified it by reading academic papers. Some minority of people actual think that all logically possible worlds exist, and this is known as modal realism. I happen to believe that. Next time, don ` t tell me what i can, or cannot think. It is insulting to me, and the spirit of philosophical debate.

I tell you to trust me because your reasoning on the basis of some possible world is faulty and untrustworthy... But other than that: have a nice day...In your real world and not impossible world... keep all that techical meaning... It is nonsense and you should know it, because if we cannot understand the most basic elements of the real world we cannot begin to define the elements of a possible world... Logic is based upon a certain reality, and it is in gross... Cause and effect, this event leading to that, does not take into acount all the causes that do not threashold an event, every event that does not become a cause... And in the microscopic and atomic level we can speak with no certainty, which does not disallow cause and effect in the least, but forces everyone on their guard... And you want to talk about possible worlds following some other logic when you cannot speak to the logic of this world... It is bad enough when people apply physical logic to the moral world, and push their logic too far from the known into the unknown, but you are doing something far beyond that...So trust me...We have people here talking about the matrix for gosh sakes as though we could draw some rational conclusions out of fictions... We may as well talk about politics in heaven...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:46 am
@Fido,
Fido;165356 wrote:
I tell you to trust me because your reasoning on the basis of some possible world is faulty and untrustworthy... But other than that: have a nice day...In your real world and not impossible world... keep all that techical meaning... It is nonsense and you should know it, because if we cannot understand the most basic elements of the real world we cannot begin to define the elements of a possible world... Logic is based upon a certain reality, and it is in gross... cause and effect this event leading to that does not take into acount all the causes that do not threashold an event, every event that does not become a cause... And in the microscopic and atomic level we can speak with no certainty, which does not disallow cause and effect in the least, but forces everyone on their guard... And you want to talk about possible world following some other logic when you cannot speak to the logic of this world... It is bad enough when people apply physical logic to the moral world, and push their logic to far from the known into the unknown, but you are doing something far beyond that...So trust me...

I say this before, and i am going to say it again. "possible worlds" means "logically possible worlds". Anything that is not logically contradictory is logically possible.One does not have to commit to the actual existence of these worlds. You can see it as a tool. I don` t.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:58 am
@xris,
xris;165301 wrote:
time is not constant, im afraid.

Thanks for pointing that out. I shall explain which 'time' is constant.

Nevertheless, i am glad on my presumption to know that you probably agree with the rest.

Now, on which 'time' is constant. 'Time' the concept which we bear in our minds - in its various form (a few variation can be seen in this thread itself), also needs to be seen in two approaches. The confusion among all, lies in the fact that time has two realms. The aspects of mental phenomenon, and that of physical phenomenon. When you say 'time' is not constant, you are actually saying two things.
a) the interpretation of the concept of 'time' is in variance.
b) the measure or measurability of physical time varies.

In both cases, it is demonstrated by experiments that 'time' does vary in relative sense. But please consider, at least theoretically there is an absolute sense of time too. All calculations, mathematics, and dynamics works on the axiom that time is constant.

There can't be any worthwhile predictions or sum ups which can take place without the a priori principle of 'time' being constant.

This theoretical assumption makes 'time' an absolute. It works in cases within our human paradigm, and our knowledge systems
Fido

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 12:02 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;165358 wrote:
I say this before, and i am going to say it again. "possible worlds" means "logically possible worlds". Anything that is not logically contradictory is logically possible.One does not have to commit to the actual existence of these worlds. You can see it as a tool. I don` t.

Logic tell what happens and suggests what is likely as well as possible... It is a chain that can hold a great deal, but it cannot be pushed anywhere...And you want to push logic into a whole other fantasy world... You are not doing philosophy...You are engaged is pointless speculation...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 12:10 pm
@Fido,
Fido;165362 wrote:
Logic tell what happens and suggests what is likely as well as possible... It is a chain that can hold a great deal, but it cannot be pushed anywhere...And you want to push logic into a whole other fantasy world... You are not doing philosophy...You are engaged is pointless speculation...

Whatever i am doing, the whole of modern analytic philosophy is behind me, and not you. It is not entirely "fantasy" if you consider "logically possibility" a fantasy.
Fido

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 12:22 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;165363 wrote:
Whatever i am doing, the whole of modern analytic philosophy is behind me, and not you. It is not entirely "fantasy" if you consider "logically possibility" a fantasy.

You cannot begin to tell the logic behind a fraction of the events on this earth, and you think with your logic to construct a logically possible world from what you know...I would not try to bake a cake with as little knowledge as you actually have and it is upon knowledge that people reason, but be my guest in your own fantasy castle...But don't leave out a single element necessary for your fantasy survival, or too late you might find your world falling into your navel...
TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:46 pm
@Fido,
Fido;165366 wrote:
You cannot begin to tell the logic behind a fraction of the events on this earth, and you think with your logic to construct a logically possible world from what you know...I would not try to bake a cake with as little knowledge as you actually have and it is upon knowledge that people reason, but be my guest in your own fantasy castle...But don't leave out a single element necessary for your fantasy survival, or too late you might find your world falling into your navel...

I suppose English is not your first language. To read you takes me a bit of decoding. I plead no knowledge of what other "worlds" might be, but whatever they are, they are surely logically possible. This is true, because whatever they are, they cannot be logically contradictory.
Fido

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:51 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;165491 wrote:
I suppose English is not your first language. To read you takes me a bit of decoding. I plead no knowledge of what other "worlds" might be, but whatever they are, they are surely logically possible. This is true, because whatever they are, they cannot be logically contradictory.

That is the same sort of rubbish people used to say of God, that he was bound by the laws of logic and unable to contradict reason...Lincoln said God could not be both for and against... Who knows...But the notion that we have, that anything would follow logic without those people who consider logic as an essential organizing fact of all experience is false... We make reality what it is... We discover what is logical and what is not... We cannot deny that all the physical forces might be everywhere present requiring reaction.... But what we consider as logical is logical because it always behaves in the same fashion...The example of Leibniz of gravity exerting equal force on each side of a scale is what we have come to know... Without us, who knows what is logical??? Logic is a certain method of understanding, among others... If there is no one to understand, as in a fantasy land, then there is no one to determine logic, or what might be in contradiction...Logic in one sense is what nature teaches to us, but in another sense is what we subject nature to in the form of laws... Well, without a cop there is no law, and we are all the cops of logic...

What is your answer to the question that arises out of Kant's transendental Idealism: "By what right can physical laws be presupposed a'priori if they are not given to us empiracally???"

Nature teaches us the laws which govern the behavior of matter...Are you projecting people into your imaginary worlds to experience reality empiracally to learn there what is logical??? It is not real, so it is not a physical reality but a moral reality, not real at all, only meaning without being...
I am question

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 10:58 pm
@Fido,
Sounds like a thread I would start...When we say things like "my bicycle wheel is twenty-six inches wide" or "our class was fifty minutes long", we are applying human conventions of measurements to things that are in themselves not broken up into bits of space or time. We can draw a distinction between objective time, the sort of time we measure with a clock, and subjective time, the time we actually feel passing.(Philosophy 101). A boring lecture may seem to last forever, but when its fun we alter time subjectively and we feel time passing fast, this cannot not be recorded in the external world of time of course. Every single one of these post where questions and thoughts that have ran through my mind trying to understand time. It came down to the meaning of words as ones have stated earlier in this thread. But if your asking if time exist in the external world without being measured then no. Same goes for distance although you can see some distances you cant grab it. But then we come down to the argument of perception. We can sense time, you feel tired from being up all night long, but is that an effect of time itself, or the loss of energy in our body? Can we sense time objectively without looking at a watch or clock? If not then next we need to define existence. Wouldn't the baby still come out regardless of the pregnancy being recorded as nine months? Yes. Why should we interlink time with motion? Without time being recorded, would you still be able to reach the entrance to the walmart. Are we now saying that time is a spatial dimension? If so, how can we fathom this extra dimension? Its like we need an extra tool to see this dimension, like the 3-d glasses to see an object in 3-d from a two dimensional plane.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:02 am
@Fido,
Fido;165524 wrote:
..Logic in one sense is what nature teaches to us, but in another sense is what we subject nature to in the form of laws... Well, without a cop there is no law, and we are all the cops of logic...

What is your answer to the question that arises out of Kant's transendental Idealism: "By what right can physical laws be presupposed a'priori if they are not given to us empiracally???"

Nature teaches us the laws which govern the behavior of matter...Are you projecting people into your imaginary worlds to experience reality empiracally to learn there what is logical??? It is not real, so it is not a physical reality but a moral reality, not real at all, only meaning without being...

I don` t you think you know what "logically possible" mean. Can you tell me what it is?
xris

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:26 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;165360 wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I shall explain which 'time' is constant.

Nevertheless, i am glad on my presumption to know that you probably agree with the rest.

Now, on which 'time' is constant. 'Time' the concept which we bear in our minds - in its various form (a few variation can be seen in this thread itself), also needs to be seen in two approaches. The confusion among all, lies in the fact that time has two realms. The aspects of mental phenomenon, and that of physical phenomenon. When you say 'time' is not constant, you are actually saying two things.
a) the interpretation of the concept of 'time' is in variance.
b) the measure or measurability of physical time varies.

In both cases, it is demonstrated by experiments that 'time' does vary in relative sense. But please consider, at least theoretically there is an absolute sense of time too. All calculations, mathematics, and dynamics works on the axiom that time is constant.

There can't be any worthwhile predictions or sum ups which can take place without the a priori principle of 'time' being constant.

This theoretical assumption makes 'time' an absolute. It works in cases within our human paradigm, and our knowledge systems
Time is relative but it is not constant. When you consider time at the centre of the earth is slower than at the surface how would you calculate anything with any certainty. This gives us questions about our relationship to time and our experience of it. If time can alter relative to other time frames could we consider a condition where it is not relevant.

We look at layers in rocks and imagine millions of years of its creation. Can we be sure that the time was the same then as it is now? We look at historic events and time appears twisted in a bizarre sense, as if it never actually happened but just recorded for us to observe. Last week to us is as far as the Trojan wars , past is past and never to return.
Fido

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:28 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;165620 wrote:
I don` t you think you know what "logically possible" mean. Can you tell me what it is?

No!! I do not know what logically means; and I do not know what possible means... But I do understand the question in regard to Kant, and since I asked first, how do you presuppose physical laws a priori not given empirically... If you are not in your fictive world whether you presume it logically possible following the laws of logic, how do you KNOW it to be logical in fact??? The Matrix has been mentioned in regard to this question, and as a fiction, it is fantasy with no one governed by physical laws who was once aware of their existence in a world of fiction...Is fiction freedom??? Is it logical to expect that humanity can only be free in our imaginations???

For Kant; if I can believe the Book: Critiique of Scientific Reason by Kurt Hubner; Physics remained, at least in terms of its form, the single justifyable way viewing the external world...

From an operationalist point of view; physics, (Your logically possible world) is neither true or false; but rather, rests on a priori precepts and ideal constructions which are imposed upon natuure only to the end of providing a schema for its mastery...No claim is made that these construction delienate the constituent structure of nature itself...

I read that as meaning we only understand enough of reason to beat the life out of nature, which is not enough to say what is reasonable when projected onto fictive worlds...Nature teaches us reason... We do not teach nature reason, and we cannot say all that is reasonable... We may suppose that all of infinite existence is exactly as this existence, following universal laws... We know even from our subjective experience of time that the human element, perception, ego consciousness, all play a huge part in what we think of as logical...

I say: no cop, no law because we cannot take ourselves out of the picture and presume anything is logically possible... Ultimately even physics is a moral form... Truth is a moral form... and logic is a moral form... These concepts exist because of us, and not without us...
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:54 am
@xris,
xris;165667 wrote:
Time is relative but it is not constant. When you consider time at the centre of the earth is slower than at the surface how would you calculate anything with any certainty. This gives us questions about our relationship to time and our experience of it. If time can alter relative to other time frames could we consider a condition where it is not relevant.

We look at layers in rocks and imagine millions of years of its creation. Can we be sure that the time was the same then as it is now? We look at historic events and time appears twisted in a bizarre sense, as if it never actually happened but just recorded for us to observe. Last week to us is as far as the Trojan wars , past is past and never to return.

If you read my passage, slowly and carefully, i had already said in the relative sense time does varies, which means it appears to be not constant when observed. Thats quite easy to understand.

Time as a concept and a factor is taken as a constant for all practical purposes on earth or beyond. If I travel from Paris to Istanbul in summer, the time taken for me to reach back to Paris in winter or next summer will remain the same if the conditions remain the same. The railway route planner need not factor 'time' but can factor conditions like snow, rain etc, but not 'time'. Thanks

Let me try and explain the issue of Trojan wars and last week. The memory is what makes you think (memorisation) about the past. last week is nearer than Trojan wars, which you had nothing to do with. The things played out during last week is in your RAM of your memory hard disk. Trojan wars are only in the pages of history. The concept of past has nothing to do with 'Time'.

Time is, what is. In other words 'is' is Time.