Athiests do not exist?

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:00 am
@awareness,
awareness;153341 wrote:
if an atheist is kept alive (artificially) forever and tortured (everything he/she wanted, thought, or felt the opposite occurred) forever at some point in time it will want God or something like a God (beyond it) to save it? Right?

Would you believe in a God to stop continuous torture/pain?
If you can't stop it yourself or any other way wouldn't you resort to asking for someone or something else beyond you to?

Not that doing so would be successful, but that any living thing would have to ask because it is in it's own self interest to.

an atheist is torturing himself, he is living away from god the fullness itself which means he is living away towards nothingness, he is nearing away from pleasure towards pain.
wayne

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:15 pm
@Kylyssa,
Kylyssa;153995 wrote:
The link goes to a list of charities, not a single group as you imply.

Yes, atheist charities are pretty new, not many existed before the 20th century. I just wanted to point out that Atheist Centre of India is huge and has been around since 1948.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is also huge and is probably the only organization looking for a cure for malaria. They have spent billions in Africa.

There are thousands of atheist run charities but only a few use the word atheist in their titles for several reasons. Some people will not donate to atheist charities. Others will not accept help from them. Atheist charities also seek to protect themselves from terrorist attacks and harassment.

If individuals suffer from being recognized as atheists (job discrimination, harassment, vandalism, and abuse) in first world countries it seems like it would be wise to conceal an atheist identity in a charity. Their aim is to help people and being "out" as atheists would hinder that.

Think about the bibles and electronic bibles sent to Haiti instead of food or medical supplies or the Christian charities providing relief efforts in Haiti that refuse to help non-Christians before asserting atheist charities, unlike religious charities, would have an ulterior motive.

I hadn't thought about atheists as being the victims of persecution until you mentioned it, I think thats sad.
I disagree with a lot of what religions do, but I can see that they do some good.

I think it comes down to personal responsibility. I am not religious but am a believer in god, I hope I never persecute anyone who chooses to believe differently.

I would also like to know more about these charities refusing to help non christians, any documentation of that?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:31 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;153999 wrote:
an atheist is torturing himself, he is living away from god the fullness itself which means he is living away towards nothingness, he is nearing away from pleasure towards pain.

The funny thing is, I see it just the opposite. I think especially with Christianity, it tries to demean the individual. Make them feel they are not worthy of living. I know for most Catholics they have a negative connotation towards people in general. I wouldn't be surprised if all the abrahamic religions had similar self loathing attitudes.

I don't hold myself back, I don't demean myself. My life is full of pleasure and happiness. I don't require any god to make myself happy. If it turns out that I was wrong, and I find myself in a place of torment and torture, I can guarantee you this. I'll have a smile on my face for eternity because I did as my heart suggested, if this being wishes me tortured because of that then by all means, they are not worthy of me defining them as a god.
William

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:09 am
@awareness,
Perhaps when both labels cease to exist we will all know what humanity is all about. This finger pointing on both sides really drains the blood out of every body...............literally.

William
Krumple

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:23 am
@William,
William;154337 wrote:
Perhaps when both labels cease to exist we will all know what humanity is all about. This finger pointing on both sides really drains the blood out of every body...............literally.

William

You might think of me as a finger pointed, but really all I am doing is requesting that someone who is a believer, not to hold their moral values up to me and say, obey these. That is my only problem and I will continue to create conflict because I feel it is wrong to place moral values that come from nothing more than an empty belief onto people. The day when religious people stop imposing their theocracy onto society is the day I will shut up.
wayne

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:50 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;154343 wrote:
You might think of me as a finger pointed, but really all I am doing is requesting that someone who is a believer, not to hold their moral values up to me and say, obey these. That is my only problem and I will continue to create conflict because I feel it is wrong to place moral values that come from nothing more than an empty belief onto people. The day when religious people stop imposing their theocracy onto society is the day I will shut up.

I am curious about this moral values idea. Do not atheists have moral values of some kind? Do moral values only come from god belief or religion?

I also cannot understand why you continue to call other peoples beliefs empty, since you cannot possibly know any more than they do, only that you find god belief to be not plausible. Aren't you doing exactly the same intolerant thing as the religious people you decry?
Reconstructo

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:57 am
@awareness,
I was talking to God last night and I told him that quite a few humans down here didn't believe he existed. He said "atheists? What are those?" I explained it to him. He said I must be hearing voices or something.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:59 am
@wayne,
wayne;154353 wrote:
I am curious about this moral values idea. Do not atheists have moral values of some kind? Do moral values only come from god belief or religion?

I only have 3 rules.

1. Respect everyone's life. (you do not have the right to take someone else life from them.)

2. Respect everyone's property. (you do not have the right to damage or steal what is not yours to damage or take.)

3. Respect everyone's freedom to do the same as above. (you do not have the right to impose or prevent someone from doing what they wish.)

You might think I am contradicting myself with my third rule, but I am not. Imposing your moral values onto society you are limiting their freedom to do as they want. So you are in violation of the third rule.

Why should my rules be everyone's rules? Well I doubt anyone would accept and live by these rules. But I say the world would never need another rule other than these three. They are universal and useful in every single situation. There is not a single law anywhere that does not touch one or more of these three, therefore they are the basis for what everyone can accept.

Does this answer your question with a long response?
wayne

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:09 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;154358 wrote:
I only have 3 rules.

1. Respect everyone's life. (you do not have the right to take someone else life from them.)

2. Respect everyone's property. (you do not have the right to damage or steal what is not yours to damage or take.)

3. Respect everyone's freedom to do the same as above. (you do not have the right to impose or prevent someone from doing what they wish.)

You might think I am contradicting myself with my third rule, but I am not. Imposing your moral values onto society you are limiting their freedom to do as they want. So you are in violation of the third rule.

Why should my rules be everyone's rules? Well I doubt anyone would accept and live by these rules. But I say the world would never need another rule other than these three. They are universal and useful in every single situation. There is not a single law anywhere that does not touch one or more of these three, therefore they are the basis for what everyone can accept.

Does this answer your question with a long response?

Those all sound like pretty good rules to me.
Although the third rule doesn't tell us how to deal with persons that don't choose to live by the rules.
Krumple

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:18 am
@wayne,
wayne;154362 wrote:
Those all sound like pretty good rules to me.
Although the third rule doesn't tell us how to deal with persons that don't choose to live by the rules.

True, but no one asked about what to do for those whom break these rules. I believe in a fair system. They would be brought to trial by jury and depending on which rule they broke would determine the resultant punishment if found guilty.

I do not support the death penalty, so those who are guilty of murder would not be sentenced to death. But I think if they are sentenced they should be held to it and not left off for any reason. If you are given a ten year sentence it should be a ten year sentence.

People would not be put in jail for using or selling drugs. People would not be put into jail for soliciting prostitution or for purchasing sex. To me these do not cause harm in any way. If a person is willing to purchase drugs they have already decided what harm might come for taking them. You can't slight the seller as being the catalyst for drug use. Otherwise McDonald's should be held responsible for people getting diabetes or heart disease.

Sorry to make another long explanation. Punishment really comes down to how severe the rule was broken and which rule was broken. I believe in being fair to the crime and no double punishments for crimes. I believe under my system there would be fewer people in jails that don't need to be there so we have plenty of room for the ones who really do belong there.
wayne

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:26 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;154363 wrote:
True, but no one asked about what to do for those whom break these rules. I believe in a fair system. They would be brought to trial by jury and depending on which rule they broke would determine the resultant punishment if found guilty.

I do not support the death penalty, so those who are guilty of murder would not be sentenced to death. But I think if they are sentenced they should be held to it and not left off for any reason. If you are given a ten year sentence it should be a ten year sentence.

People would not be put in jail for using or selling drugs. People would not be put into jail for soliciting prostitution or for purchasing sex. To me these do not cause harm in any way. If a person is willing to purchase drugs they have already decided what harm might come for taking them. You can't slight the seller as being the catalyst for drug use. Otherwise McDonald's should be held responsible for people getting diabetes or heart disease.

Sorry to make another long explanation. Punishment really comes down to how severe the rule was broken and which rule was broken. I believe in being fair to the crime and no double punishments for crimes. I believe under my system there would be fewer people in jails that don't need to be there so we have plenty of room for the ones who really do belong there.

I don't mind a long explanation. I am in agreement with your ideas here, i think that our money and time would be better spent on drug education than chasing after some pot smoking hippies. Smile

I agree that religions were responsible for the origin of a lot of these rules, although we have now reached a point where so much profit is involved in the prison system that it has gone well beyond that.
Krumple

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:35 am
@wayne,
wayne;154364 wrote:
I don't mind a long explanation. I am in agreement with your ideas here, i think that our money and time would be better spent on drug education than chasing after some pot smoking hippies. Smile

Exactly. I feel the same, that if you were to legalize drug use, you would actually create an environment where people who wanted to find help for their addictions could. I have read stories where undercover police officers would visit NA meetings. They would listen to the stories of these addicts and try and befriend them. Once they gained their trust they would try to pry information about their old drug contacts so they could turn around and bust the dealers. This to me is an massive abuse of the system and it is no wonder why many are hesitant to seek help for their addictions. They might be afraid of prosecution if they do.

wayne;154364 wrote:

I agree that religions were responsible for the origin of a lot of these rules, although we have now reached a point where so much profit is involved in the prison system that it has gone well beyond that.

Yeah I can see this as a problem. Where there is profit, many who are involved will be hesitant to change it. It all comes down to education again. When people realize that keeping these things illegal actually causes more evil in the world, they might start to realize change is necessary.
wayne

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:48 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;154367 wrote:
Exactly. I feel the same, that if you were to legalize drug use, you would actually create an environment where people who wanted to find help for their addictions could. I have read stories where undercover police officers would visit NA meetings. They would listen to the stories of these addicts and try and befriend them. Once they gained their trust they would try to pry information about their old drug contacts so they could turn around and bust the dealers. This to me is an massive abuse of the system and it is no wonder why many are hesitant to seek help for their addictions. They might be afraid of prosecution if they do.

That's pretty scary stuff if it's true. It wouldn't surprise me at all. I totally disagree with the idea that it's ok for law enforcement to lie and deceive in order to acheive an end. Once you cross that kind of line you are over the line, there's no such thing as a reliable liar in my book.

Krumple;154367 wrote:
Yeah I can see this as a problem. Where there is profit, many who are involved will be hesitant to change it. It all comes down to education again. When people realize that keeping these things illegal actually causes more evil in the world, they might start to realize change is necessary.

Yeah, I keep arriving at the education solution with a lot of things. So much of it will take so long to effect any change that I think education is the only real hope.
0 Replies

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:30 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;154317 wrote:

if this being wishes me tortured because of that then by all means, they are not worthy of me defining them as a god.

he did not wish for it, you are the one who is living away from him, humanity needs god, you are leaving away from your needs.
Krumple

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:38 am
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;154397 wrote:
he did not wish for it, you are the one who is living away from him, humanity needs god, you are leaving away from your needs.

You think that. I hear this often but it actually is not logical. For one there would have to be a method. If by my choices it causes the method to result in something then by all means that god would have created the method. Otherwise no matter what I did, there would be no way to "move away from".

Just like in programming. You have to define the perimeters of a function. If you don't nothing happens. It is when the perimeters are defined does the function have a result. Therefore if my actions result in my moving away from this so called god, then that god would have to have designed the perimeters for what actions will result in moving away. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense which actions would result in moving closer and which actions would result in moving away. There has to be a distinction, and that distinction would have to have been set by that god.

So in conclusion those distinctions are dictated by that god, and if my values do not coincide with that god then it is not my fault because that god has not made it absolutely clear to me what I should be doing. Sure I hear a bunch of hearsay but there is nothing definitive. In fact in Buddhism, the Buddha suggest not adopting anything unless it suits you. So if I adopt this frame of mind and you insist that it is moving me further away from (god) then by what criteria have you made that assessment?

What one person thinks is proper another will find objection to it. Therefore since no one can agree on what exactly this so called god wants, it leads me to the conclusion that it is completely and utterly made up.
0 Replies

William

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:05 am
@William,
William;153509 wrote:

Hello Sun, they cause problems for us all. It could be said that they in their misunderstanding of God, is what created erroneous theist thought. Yea, they cause problems for everyone. That's what we are here for to help each other solve those problems.

Krumple;153513 wrote:

I say just the opposite. I see theists causing more problems than any atheist has ever.

They both cause problems K. But I think you will find the theists use the word "hate" far less than others. I was merely responding to the title of the thread. Perhaps when both learn what it is to be human, then neither will exist and stop hiding behind those labels.

Krumple;153513 wrote:
By hating drug use, they have forced governments to ban drug sales which not only created more evil but a black market allowing people who shouldn't really have a lot of money at their disposal but it gives them plenty of outlet for more violence. This would not have happened if drug sales were not banned.

Hating drug use? I think it would do you well to do a little browsing here as to all the really great and wonderful the consequences are of such drug use? Your incessant blaming of all man's problems on those of faith is a bit tired.

Why people use drugs is the issue and it is a serious problem. At times it seems to me the whole world is walking on crutches. Legalizing them is not going to help the situation. Eliminating the demand will.

Everyone "hates" drug use! All of us have those natural drugs that kick in when the circumstances warrant. Unfortunately those circumstances are rare in today's reality and why so many find alternatives.

In another thread, just yesterday, a member imagined how, in a perfect, peaceful world, one of discontent could "spoil" that world. That's impossible. He noted and I agreed love comes from within and if so many were offering the love they had in themselves, that discontented one would have no choice but to surrender and join that world.

You want to feel "those" natural drugs kick in, give it a shot! When we take alternatives we only care about ourselves and how they make us feel. You don't have to be an atheist or a theist for that to happen.

Your reference to prostitution is just as tired. Why women would sell themselves is what must be address and why men pay when both have natural alternatives. We all know how to take the situation in hand, ha without involving others when the circumstances arise; no pun intended. We just need to create a reality in which those circumstances don't arise so often. Lessen the temptation, so to speak. Now I know that sounded like a theist talking. No! It's simply the truth.

Get off the blame game K, no one is that innocent that could point a finger at anyone. Like I said.........

William;154337 wrote:

William
Krumple

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:23 am
@William,
William;154422 wrote:
They both cause problems K. But I think you will find the theists use the word "hate" far less than others. I was merely responding to the title of the thread. Perhaps when both learn what it is to be human, then neither will exist and stop hiding behind those labels.

I find this hard to believe. Theists use hate far less than others? Not from what I observe. How many atheists do you see opposing gay rights? Or holding signs that say, atheists hate gays? Or atheist leaders saying the reason 911 happened was due to the US supporting gay rights? How many atheist leaders claimed the Haiti earthquake was a result of the people making a deal with evil?

William;154422 wrote:

Hating drug use? I think it would do you well to do a little browsing here as to all the really great and wonderful the consequences are of such drug use? Your incessant blaming of all man's problems on those of faith is a bit tired.

There are even worse problems produced by forcing it to be illegal.

William;154422 wrote:

Why people use drugs is the issue and it is a serious problem. At times it seems to me the whole world is walking on crutches. Legalizing them is not going to help the situation. Eliminating the demand will.

You will NEVER be able to eliminate the demand for drug use.

William;154422 wrote:

Everyone "hates" drug use! All of us have those natural drugs that kick in when the circumstances warrant. Unfortunately those circumstances are rare in today's reality and why so many find alternatives.

Everyone hates drug use? Now you are making generalizations again. If that were true, no one would use drugs. Clearly not everyone hates drugs. Come back to reality for a second. Natural drugs eh? If these natural drugs were so much better, no one would use the other drugs. (what ever you mean by natural anyways)

William;154422 wrote:

In another thread, just yesterday, a member imagined how, in a perfect, peaceful world, one of discontent could "spoil" that world. That's impossible. He noted and I agreed love comes from within and if so many were offering the love they had in themselves, that discontented one would have no choice but to surrender and join that world.

Yeah I read that post and thought, it is a fantasy. The only way you can get such a case to happen is if every person was exactly the same person. People are different, with different personalities and different mentalities. You won't get everyone to play nice because they have different agendas. Not everyone wants the same thing. Just like you might not like fighting, but there are people in the world who enjoy fighting. Unless you plan on taking away peoples desire completely, there is absolutely no way you can ever get even remotely close to a "perfect peaceful world".

William;154422 wrote:

You want to feel "those" natural drugs kick in, give it a shot! When we take alternatives we only care about ourselves and how they make us feel. You don't have to be an atheist or a theist for that to happen.

Well like I said before, if these "natural" drugs were so much better than the ones you despise, then why isn't everyone abandoning the ones you hate for these so called natural ones?

William;154422 wrote:

Your reference to prostitution is just as tired. Why women would sell themselves is what must be address and why men pay when both have natural alternatives. We all know how to take the situation in hand, ha without involving others when the circumstances arise; no pun intended. We just need to create a reality in which those circumstances don't arise so often. Lessen the temptation, so to speak. Now I know that sounded like a theist talking. No! It's simply the truth.

Natural alternatives? What are these natural alternatives? Could you be any more vague with a solution?

William;154422 wrote:

Get off the blame game K, no one is that innocent that could point a finger at anyone. Like I said.........

I am not trying to make a perfect world. I am only trying to advocate a tolerant one. Where people can freely exercise their desires as long as it does not prevent anyone else from enjoying theirs. As long as no one is being killed, what would you have to object about?

To me, a good person would not be challenged by a world where any desire is legal. They would naturally abandon these things. But religious people don't see themselves that clearly. They insist that you must force people to adopt their moral standards to live by through the threat of imprisonment or worse. A law which scares people into being good, does not make the people good people. If you really want to find good people in the world, legalize everything. I will point out who they really are because they will be clear as day.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:27 am
@awareness,
awareness;153341 wrote:
Would you believe in a Superman or The Green Lantern to stop continuous torture/pain?

Only if the torture/pain actually stopped. Unfortunately prayer is useless so you will scream your head off for a savior and receive nothing.
sometime sun

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:38 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;154433 wrote:
Only if the torture/pain actually stopped. Unfortunately prayer is useless so you will scream your head off for a savior and receive nothing.

At least when they scream their paryers they can still hear the word of God.
To be able to comfort your self in this life when all who you meet want to hurt you is not useless.

Just so we are clear, do you think prayer everywhere in all cases is useless or just prayer under pain of death?
0 Replies

William

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:21 pm
@awareness,
Krumple I didn't arrive at this forum assuming all would agree with what I was offering. I knew that would not be the case and why I don't argue. Some will and some won't and I don't change my mind. Some are so steadfastly entrenched in a self defensive structure, no one can penetrate those defenses. I don't try. Those walls will come tumbling down on their own just as mine did.

William
0 Replies