Doesn't darwinian theory fall apart on ontological grounds?

jeeprs

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:26 pm
@richard mcnair,
Thanks Dave - I understand that and think yours is a very reasonable stance - if everyone shared it there would be less contention about the issue. (Although I must admit I do enjoy the cut and thrust of debate with those of a more materialist outlook, and I also think that writers such as Monod do very much overstep the bounds of their discipline.)
0 Replies

richard mcnair

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:49 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;105335 wrote:

You can look at it whatever way you want. I haven't been stopping you, as far as I can see no one has.

In fact, as far as I can see, I have been engaging with you.

The reason I have not bothered to answer your original question is that I struggle to see it's relevence given that scientific enquiry takes as read that the phenomenal world can be the subject of greater understanding through observation.

If it doesn't make that foundational step - a line of enquiry is not science.

So choosing a particular branch of science and suggesting it take such a line of enquiry is rather bewildering to me.

What you are doing is conflating the theory of evolution with a sort of philosophical materialism that states all we can potentially about the material universe is all there is to know.

Evolution - changes in allele frequency leading to a theory regarding the relatedness of all organisms on earth.

Is not...

Philosophical materialism - there is nothing supernatural.

They are two rather different things, and whilst philosophical materialists might often cite evolution because it provides answers to questions such as "how did we get here" and "why are we the way we are".

Using evolution in that way is certainly fraught with problems, because a scientific theory is being applied to a natural history we aren't certain of.

I myself would tend toward philosophical materialism - but I am careful to distinguish between the fact of evolution and its possible (highly plausible in my opinion) application to natural history.

But philosophical materialism is not evolution in and of itself - it certainly is not "Darwinian" because he never stated that it had any bearing on the supernatural. His own disavowel of a loving god came as a result of questions such as "why is there suffering" based on the death of his daughter - and he never stated he was an atheist or disbeliever in the supernatural. He stopped being a practising Christian - yes - but that in itself is not proof of a worldview.

So to sum up, the reasons I'm not interested in your question:

1) It's based on a false premise (evolution doesn't state that it is "All there is" even if some proponents of evolution do, like Richard Dawkins - a self-proclaimed philosophical materialist).
2) It fails to understand the theory (evolution does not teach that we came from ameoba).
3) Even if it did why would that be anathema to religious belief unless you wish to adhere to a literal reading of a particular creation myth (many proponents of evolution happily supplement it with or to their religious beliefs - see Ken Miller again, a practising Catholic, see what the last two Popes said about the theory).

Well you havent been stopping me, but rather than answer my question you have been trying to simply dismiss it.

My point is this (i'll state it again). When we carry out scientific investigations into the phenomenal world, the most reliable deductions we can make are ones that have the qualities of demonstrability, and repeatability, for instance if you make the statement that the average rate of gravity on earth is around 9.1 m/s/s, you can take a stopwatch and a tennisball, go outside and try it out. Now, we can also do things like try to work out the rate of gravity on mars. This is not demonstrable and repeatable in the same way - ie I can not take a tennis ball, and stopwatch and try it out. BUT, we are able to work it out, and it is mathematically demonstrable, if we take certain ASSUMPTIONS. For instance that somehow the laws of physics dont just break down once we travel a certain distance outside our planet.

Now the further we go away from things which are immediately demonstrable and repeatable, the more ASSUMPTIONS we have to take. Therefore it is very acceptable for someone to question a theory VERY FAR from being immediately demonstrable and repeatable on the assumptions it is based on alone.

I am not, nor would I ever not take into account any evidence,and I am not now. Many times, I have one hundred percent stated I one hundred percent agree with evolution, and the transmutation of species. The ONLY thing I am questioning is the statement made in many quarters that ALL life on this planet started from a common ancestor, and even 'abiologically', and that was all there was, on the simple ground that this treats time space, and substance as kantian 'things in themselves', and that these were there before any conscious being. The statement I am making is that this is irreconcilable to many philosophic positions regarding the nature of copnsciousness, time space, and substance.

Can we then agree on this point then? If kantian idealism is correct, along with various ideas relating to the copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, and that 'conscousness expresses itself as matter' as davd bohm put it, and that we are indeed co-creators of our relaity, then this refutes the richard dawkins traditional picture of the beginnings of life on this palnet?

Quote:

You asked(I paraphrase) what observable facts back up the theory of evolution - hence my list of observable facts.

So it's not to counter any sort of dispute that I give them, but why ask for observables to back it up and then claim you have no dispute?
No.

I have never once even questioned the theory of evolution (for the millionth time), as I quite clearly state in my OP. None of your points prove anything about what I am attacking - ie that ALL life on earth can be explained with the 'common ancestor' explaination.
ACB

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:50 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;105139 wrote:
Once agian NO-ONE is answering my ACTUAL question. How does something evolve in time and space, before there was 'mind' to create time and space. If we are co-creators of own reality, how did we evolve in this reality? Time and space do not exist as things in themselves.

Would anyone like to comment on this specific question, which is central to this thread? It implies an idealistic worldview.
richard mcnair

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:57 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;105483 wrote:
Evolutionary biology is not interested in this question, so it doesn't fall apart any moreso than any other science. Whether we hatched from the cosmic egg or we emerged from the Big Bang is immaterial to evolutionary theory -- at least at a level that distinguishes evolution from anything else in physical existence.

Evolutionary biology may not be interested in such questions, nevertheless it is practice for a large number of people to try to answer questions with evolutionary biology, that can only be answered with some reference to such questions, and they don't - this is what I am attacking.
Aedes

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:00 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;105505 wrote:
Evolutionary biology may not be interested in such questions, nevertheless it is practice for a large number of people to try to answer questions with evolutionary biology, that can only be answered with some reference to such questions, and they don't - this is what I am attacking.
Then you've expressed no concerns whatsoever with evolutionary theory itself. You're attacking people who are using a roadmap to find their keys -- they're asking the wrong question. That's not the roadmap's fault, though.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:04 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair wrote:
once again NO-ONE is answering my ACTUAL question. How does something evolve in time and space, before there was 'mind' to create time and space. If we are co-creators of own reality, how did we evolve in this reality? Time and space do not exist as things in themselves.

Why does time and space need to be created? Not to mention, why does there need to be 'mind' to create these things? "Co-creators of our own reality" implies that there is something besides us that creates our reality. What is this so-called co-creator? I can see how time does not exist as a thing in itself, because I assume you are talking about space-time, but why does space not exist as a thing in itself. It seems that space may be the only thing that truly exists as a thing in itself. Everything else seems to be dependent on something else, but empty space just is.
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:10 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;105503 wrote:
Well you havent been stopping me, but rather than answer my question you have been trying to simply dismiss it.

There has been an honest desire on my part to understand precisely what you mean, and demonstrate why I was having trouble.

Anyway, you have now rephrased in a way I understand.

Quote:
If kantian idealism is correct, along with various ideas relating to the copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, and that 'conscousness expresses itself as matter' as davd bohm put it, and that we are indeed co-creators of our relaity, then this refutes the richard dawkins traditional picture of the beginnings of life on this palnet?

Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - yes, but it invalidates the scientific method, not just (the popular perception of) Richard Dawkins' application of it (which I feel is based on a subtle misunderstanding anyway, as I explained to jeeprs).

Whilst I agree that IF Kant et al are right the scientific method is invalid, I don't see what the assumptions of the likes of Kant have over those of the likes of Darwin.

Further, the Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum is the one that states matter must be observed in order to behave the way it does, is that right?

But many of those advocating the theory also cede that an 'observation' need be nothing more than being hit by a photon - no need for consciousness (itself notoriously difficult to define).
jeeprs

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 08:15 pm
@ACB,
ACB;105504 wrote:
Would anyone like to comment on this specific question, which is central to this thread? It implies an idealistic worldview.

There is a link over on another thread about shortcomings of Darwinian theory, that addresses this issue. My take on it is this: DNA actually carries information. So it is a code, rather than a pattern. Patterns and codes are fundamentally differernt, for the reason that codes convey information whereas patterns don't. I suppose this is where the 'meta' of 'metaphysic' comes in. Illustration: the meaning of a sentence can be translated into various languages or media, and will mean the same thing - the meaning is different to, and independent from, the media. For that reason, I don't think you can explain or reduce information itself to material substances.

This topic has come up a lot here on the forum, in various guises, another one being the difficulties presented by theory of maths (i.e. do numbers exist if there is nobody to count them? But they are also not a function of the mind of the person counting. So - how do numbers exist? You would think this is a simple question, but you would be wrong.)

Anyway take a look at that other thread. There are some interesting outlinks on it.

---------- Post added 11-24-2009 at 01:54 PM ----------

I also don't know if science has that much to fear from any of this either. The biggest effect is on the philosophy of science, rather than science itself. I think if scientists are reasonably circumspect about the claims they are making, instead of trying to apply them to life the universe and everything, there is an enormous amount still to be discovered and no end to how much there is to know. Worthy case in point is Bernard D'Espagnet, who won the Templeton Prize for 2009. No doubting his scientific credentials, but he is not one of the hard-line 'science conquers all' thinkers.

Quote:
In a statement prepared for the news conference, [announcing his selection] d'Espagnat pointed out that since science cannot tell us anything certain about the nature of being, clearly it cannot tell us with certainty what it is not. "Mystery is not something negative that has to be eliminated," he said. "On the contrary, it is one of the constitutive elements of being."
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:33 am
@richard mcnair,
Hey! I'll have what he's having.....
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:40 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105475 wrote:
'The God Delusion' R. Dawkins.

So you say. Cite an example in that book where philosophical materialism/naturalism is derived from biological evolution.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:33 am
@richard mcnair,
Well, he does say that up until the theory of evolution came along, there might have been quite good reasons to suppose that Paley's 'Argument from Design' was a good argument for the existence of Deity. Now, however, the variety of all of the species can be attributed to natural selection alone and at last we are free from any compelling reason to believe in a God.

I don't have the page number, as I don't own the book. But it is in there.
Krumple

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:05 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105314 wrote:
Well there are 10,000,000 (10 million) combinations available for 9 digits. My maths is pretty poor, but this is an exponential equation, is it not? So the difference between all possible 9-digit numbers and all possible 18-digit numbers is not arithmetical but exponential. But what if there are 90 digits? or 900? Again, I can't 'do the math' but I think the numbers quickly become completely unimaginable.

Yeah but my point wasn't really about the amount of possibilities. It is simply to say that given enough time, you would get the correct number. To continue the cleched line, "It's all just a matter of time..."

Time is irrelevant to the process and one thing the universe is abundant in is time.

But some of you might object, "Wo wait a minute Krumple, don't be too hasty now, the universe has only been around for fourteen billion years give or take. (sorry I wrote it this way so I could use that pun)

So am I saying that it required a billion years for rna to finally form? No, because I actually think the potential for rna to form is much higher than the likelihood of guessing a seven digit phone number.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:27 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105560 wrote:
Well, he does say that up until the theory of evolution came along, there might have been quite good reasons to suppose that Paley's 'Argument from Design' was a good argument for the existence of Deity. Now, however, the variety of all of the species can be attributed to natural selection alone and at last we are free from any compelling reason to believe in a God.

Not entirely Correct. I recall that passage. Any other examples?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 12:59 pm
@richard mcnair,
Well, the title of the book. It is not called 'Delusions about God' or 'Mistakes that Can Occur due to the Pernicious Ideas caused by Incorrect Religious Views'. The whole Dawkins movement is aimed at showing that the basis of religion has been exposed as false by science. Hence name of book 'The God Delusion'.
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:06 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105636 wrote:
Well, the title of the book. It is not called 'Delusions about God' or 'Mistakes that Can Occur due to the Pernicious Ideas caused by Incorrect Religious Views'.

Neither is it called "here's how evolution proves atheism" or "science says God is wrong".

The book's a collection of arguments against theism - not all of them based on science whatsoever. Those that mention science don't claim science demonstrates atheism - just that science provides answers to questions some (many) theists claim belong to theology alone.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:21 pm
@richard mcnair,
Yes indeed. As the famous bus advertisement said, there is 'probably' no God, so in that case, there is 'probably' no need to fear loosing your immortal soul, either. I should probably be relieved by that, but the stakes are high, are they not? Anyway, we digress, I think the real issue in this thread is the analysis of causality - to put it in traditional terms, whether there are final and formal causes of being, in addition to the material and efficient causes which you can examine 'in the field' and through the microscope.
l0ck

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:01 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105560 wrote:

I fail to see how natural selection is at all present with human existence of today. We have self-created ways of dissolving this idea within our own species, even with the animals we love and care for, often now, the strongest do not survive, whereas the weakest often do. It is apart of the process of realizing and thus becoming aware of our absolute and true self-creative nature. Survival is changing from that of physical survival to that of spiritual survival, thus creative transcendence, and the environment now begins to reflect that as it decays and loses finite cohesion at a ever increasing exponential rate (entropia), whereas our minds gain all that cohesion in the form of infinite quality - it is being transferred.

You can graph these curves, they actually intersect at some point.. within the next 30 years.. it is safe to say within the next 30 years, finite syllogism and physical science will release all energy from all mass.. However, as cohesion is lost in the environment, it is gained, as mentioned earlier, within our minds which are of infinite capacity. Awareness of our creative nature grows through our creativity, to the point where these curves cross...
ACB

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:06 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105681 wrote:
I think the real issue in this thread is the analysis of causality - to put it in traditional terms, whether there are final and formal causes of being, in addition to the material and efficient causes which you can examine 'in the field' and through the microscope.

The OP assumes the truth of Kantian idealism, and argues that evolutionary theory is incompatible with this and hence false.
Theaetetus (post #46) gives a counter-argument on this specific point.

The view that evolution is true, but that it needs to be supplemented by some metaphysical theory, is a different argument altogether.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:31 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;105636 wrote:
Well, the title of the book. It is not called 'Delusions about God' or 'Mistakes that Can Occur due to the Pernicious Ideas caused by Incorrect Religious Views'. The whole Dawkins movement is aimed at showing that the basis of religion has been exposed as false by science. Hence name of book 'The God Delusion'.

Nothing of this has anything to do with philosophical materialism/naturalism following from biological evolution.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 07:22 pm
@richard mcnair,
Suggest any alternative readings, then?
0 Replies