Doesn't darwinian theory fall apart on ontological grounds?

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:49 am
@memester,
memester;108132 wrote:
Are you claiming, by any chance, that learned behaviours cannot have scientific results showing cause/effect, independant of genes ?

I think social factors are probably more important - but you can't rule out the influence of genes.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:52 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;108300 wrote:
One of my favourite cartoons is of a man pursuing his head across a meadow, with a buttefly net. (I would post it, but we can't post pics any more.)

Anyway, at this point, this thread reminds me of that cartoon.

A recap from my point of view: OP raised the question, how does Darwinian theory account for the 'facts of being' from the human viewpiont? Isn't it trying to usurp the place of traditional philosophy in this respect? Various discussions of science vs religion, purpose vs no-purpose, whether nature is intentional or everything happens by accident etc. Interesting but rather technical discussion on the implications of mimicry.

So perhaps a brief recap of what you think the implication of the latter part of the discussion on the question Darwinian theory as a 'philosophy of existence'.
The various branches of the discussion are all to show purpose and layers of higher levels, of purpose.

The purposes are evidenced by behaviours. These behaviours can be seen on levels as diverse as a beaver building a dam, to immune system behaviours, feeback loops and homeostasis-seeking behaviours. These contain recognized behaviours, recognized as behaviours in the fields that study them, but they are not recognized system-to-system in science.

When talking about "behaviours", in Evolutionary Biology discussion, it's not really acceptable to call all these "behaviours" any more. They need to focus on the ridiculousness aspect of imagining a giraffe neck growing generation to generation through muscular exertion of the forebears.

....so everything is Genetics, even if it's me learning a tune to sing for my supper.

and yes, Neo Darwinian cultism has obscured the approach to understanding the meaning of the signs, that philosophers need to distinguish.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:35 am
@memester,
memester;108299 wrote:
Well, quickly said : the situation regarding claims of science on "the way it is" on Butterfly is now surely and justifiably turned to denial that those kinds of claims can be made at this time.
Those kinds of Bed-time Stories are not believable now.

... whoa there ... it can certainly be said that science misclassified the Viceroy/Monarch/predator co-evolution as a case of mimicry as opposed to co-mimicry ... I don't see how that can be said to render mimicry nor co-mimicry theories invalid ... and as for the (co-)mimics/predators class of co-evolution, yes - it's all about behavior (in this case, (co-)mimicry affects the behavior of the predators, no?) ... but maybe I'm missing what you're arguing against ... are you arguing against specific classes of evolution? ...

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 07:42 AM ----------

memester;108303 wrote:
When talking about "behaviours", in Evolutionary Biology discussion, it's not really acceptable to call all these "behaviours" any more. They need to focus on the ridiculousness aspect of imagining a giraffe neck growing generation to generation through muscular exertion of the forebears.

... but that's Lamarckian evolution, not Darwinian ... behaviors play a part iin both, the difference being behaviors learned during the lifetime of the parent are passed on in Lamarkian evolution (your giraffe example), whereas in Darwinian evolution they are not ...
Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:14 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;108292 wrote:
but what about ontology? What about the nature of human beings, as distinct from butterflies? I know the answer that almost everyone on this forum will now offer, when asked how we came to be: We evolved.
No. We diverged, from common ancestry. That's different. Diverge is the operative word, and evolution is simply an extrapolation from that. Eels and penguins share the exact same phylogenetic relationship with butterflies that we do. We were not butterflies that evolved into humans.

That's not really ontology, though, at least along the lines of evolutionary biology. What is ontology is what precedes evolution.

jeeprs;108300 wrote:
So perhaps a brief recap of what you think the implication of the latter part of the discussion on the question Darwinian theory as a 'philosophy of existence'.
As I've said earlier on in this thread and others, evolution is NOT a theory of how life came into existence. It's a theory of how life diversified, and how biological innovations developed -- and this can take for granted how the first cells appeared, be it by the hand of god or in the primordial soup.

I also need to remonstrate you a little bit about continuing to call it "Darwinian evolution". The poor guy died 126 years ago. Evolutionary theory is a hell of a lot more than Darwin's hypothesis.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:26 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108320 wrote:
... whoa there ... it can certainly be said that science misclassified the Viceroy/Monarch/predator co-evolution as a case of mimicry as opposed to co-mimicry .
No, it can't be said. Basically, we have blabber. The blabber cannot actually be confirmed or denied at this point.

Quote:

.. I don't see how that can be said to render mimicry nor co-mimicry theories invalid ...
It doesn't.

Quote:

and as for the (co-)mimics/predators class of co-evolution, yes - it's all about behavior (in this case, (co-)mimicry affects the behavior of the predators, no?) ... but maybe I'm missing what you're arguing against ... are you arguing against specific classes of evolution?
No

Quote:
.. but that's Lamarckian evolution, not Darwinian ...
Whatever label you use to identify the thinking as resembling this or that concept which is familiar to you, that is up to you.
Quote:

behaviors play a part iin both, the difference being behaviors learned during the lifetime of the parent are passed on in Lamarkian evolution (your giraffe example), whereas in Darwinian evolution they are not ...
Well, Lamarck has been presented under the giraffe-neck lamp, shall we say ? History written by the Victor.

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 02:29 PM ----------

Aedes;108338 wrote:

I also need to remonstrate you a little bit about continuing to call it "Darwinian evolution". The poor guy died 126 years ago. Evolutionary theory is a hell of a lot more than Darwin's hypothesis.
if only QED was "less is more".
Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:48 pm
@memester,
memester;108396 wrote:
if only QED was "less is more".
This still applies. It's the explanation that has to be parsimonious. The aggregate of data reinforces a parsimonious explanation if it all fits.
memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:16 pm
@Aedes,
it's 'bout properly discerning and distinguishing proximate and ultimate causes. philosophy.

Look at the example of Dawkins talking about morals. When the question is about why can't it be said, that some people get their morals or values from religion, he switches from proximate to ultimate, unjustifiably and without warning.

He then clouds the issue by looking at the frontal interior of his skull and making pronouncements on The Zeitgeist, and it's Evolution. Instead of talking about Church or Boy Scouts or Mom and Pop.

When I ask where you got that apple, you tell me which store, or if we are in the store, you point to the table. If you live on a farm, you point to the tree itself.

When asked where the DATA, DNA, or other information for that apple making came from, a different answer is required.

You might then talk about the founding trees for that orchard, or talk about apple trees from the wild, and their ancestral lines...or talk about Monsanto, or whatever.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:25 pm
@richard mcnair,
And that's why people who say that science is a branch of philosophy are wrong, certainly since science entered the domain of structured empirical observation.

This is because science does not and cannot address ultimate causes. And science doesn't really deal in causes at all, it deals in descriptions, correlations, and relationships and only secondarily infers proximate cause.

Parenthetically, I prefer Tolstoy's definition of philosophy: "The main task of philosophy has been always, in all ages, to find the necessary connection existing between personal and general interests."
memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:28 pm
@Aedes,
Yes, the Neo Darwinian cult has mugged the schoolchildren for their lunch money, for a couple o' generations, now.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:36 pm
@richard mcnair,
People should just stick to the science and all will be well. 99% of the arguments about evolution on this forum would be nullified if people actually familiarized themselves with the state of the science. Rejecting evolution is arbitrary unless you reject all non-evolutionary biology, which in the end uses the same tools and thought processes.
memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 03:35 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108413 wrote:
People should just stick to the science and all will be well. 99% of the arguments about evolution on this forum would be nullified if people actually familiarized themselves with the state of the science. Rejecting evolution is arbitrary unless you reject all non-evolutionary biology, which in the end uses the same tools and thought processes.
But the Ultimate Causes and Conditions are used to say "Why", and this is important to Science:

"It's 'because' ".

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 05:11 PM ----------

paulhanke;108320 wrote:
... whoa there ... it can certainly be said that science misclassified the Viceroy/Monarch/predator co-evolution as a case of mimicry as opposed to co-mimicry ... I don't see how that can be said to render mimicry nor co-mimicry theories invalid ... and as for the (co-)mimics/predators class of co-evolution, yes - it's all about behavior (in this case, (co-)mimicry affects the behavior of the predators, no?) ... but maybe I'm missing what you're arguing against ... are you arguing against specific classes of evolution? ...

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 07:42 AM ----------

... but that's Lamarckian evolution, not Darwinian ... behaviors play a part iin both, the difference being behaviors learned during the lifetime of the parent are passed on in Lamarkian evolution (your giraffe example), whereas in Darwinian evolution they are not ...
the Grants demonstrate a clearly learn-ed behaviour - the song sung - being "passed on". Ensuing possible speciation process before our very eyes. The song is to be sung with foreign accent and error in grammar and so on.

THE EVOLUTION LIST: A New Species of Finch may have Evolved in the Galapagos

Every item in the furthering of the phenome of this hybrid strain, is now correlated to the singing of the song. Perhaps we can then say that it also is tied in some way to how energetically and persistently the males vocalize with purpose ?

sorry, couldn't find a latino speaking romantic, singing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4s__QO9kG0
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:31 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108413 wrote:

Yes, but then it would be Science Forums, would it not? People come to a philosophy forum to ask philosophical questions, which science may, or may not, have answers to.

I still think, very naively, that while evolutionary science gives an empirically verifiable account of how evolution occurred, there is still plenty of scope to ask why it has developed along the lines that it has. I think that area is as still wide open for philosophers as it always was.
paulhanke

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:52 pm
@memester,
memester;108396 wrote:
Well, Lamarck has been presented under the giraffe-neck lamp, shall we say ? History written by the Victor.

... but does science ever have a "victor"? ... yes, Lamarckian evolution (transmission of acquired traits) is simply a poorer model of the evolution of giraffe necks than is Darwinian evolution (descent with modification) ... on the other hand, when it comes to the inheritance that is passed from mothers to newborns through mother's milk, or the inheritance that is passed to all of us through culture, Lamarckian evolution is a better model than Darwinian evolution ...

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 05:08 PM ----------

memester;108430 wrote:
sorry, couldn't find a latino speaking romantic, singing it.

... even better Smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSx52IEGBBY

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 05:20 PM ----------

jeeprs;108440 wrote:
I still think, very naively, that while evolutionary science gives an empirically verifiable account of how evolution occurred, there is still plenty of scope to ask why it has developed along the lines that it has. I think that area is as still wide open for philosophers as it always was.

... I don't think that's a naive thought at all Smile ... I think there is not only plenty of scope for asking why, but also for asking what the implications are for human being, to what practical uses such scientific accounts should (and should not) be put, and on and on ...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;108440 wrote:
Yes, but then it would be Science Forums, would it not? People come to a philosophy forum to ask philosophical questions, which science may, or may not, have answers to.Yes, but then it would be Science Forums, would it not? People come to a philosophy forum to ask philosophical questions, which science may, or may not, have answers to.
An awful lot of these philosophical conversations are predicated on abjectly erroneous views of 1) the attitude in science, 2) the process of science, 3) the state of scientific discovery.

So sure, it's a philosophy forum. But let's be organized here. Is the problem one of scientific discovery? If so, that is a SCIENTIFIC discussion. Is the problem that biology does not touch ontology in an ultimate sense, or that evolutionary biology is largely inferential and retrospective? If so, that is an EPISTEMOLOGICAL discussion. If your problem is the science, you need to debate science. And if your problem is the epistemology, then you've got to throw out medical science, ecology, cell biology, chemistry, geology, climatology, embryology, physics, etc, because they all use the same epistemic structure and the same empiric tools as evolutionary science.

jeeprs;108440 wrote:
How is that a philosophical question and not a purely scientific one? If your question is something like "why didn't multicellular life develop among prokaryotes", or "why didn't unikonts have a plastid endosymbiosis", or "why do vertebrates typically have 5 digits per appendage (at least embryologically)" these are not really food for philosophical speculation. The answers (whether complete or partial) lie in the science.
paulhanke

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:15 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108453 wrote:
How is that a philosophical question and not a purely scientific one?

... actually it's probably both Smile ... I think philosophical "whys" and scientific "whys" may be as different as philosophical "theories" and scientific "theories" ...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:45 pm
@richard mcnair,
It's true, but when the variables being discussed are the state of scientific discovery, this is not something that logic and reason and metaphysics will conquer. Being of philosophical interest is different than being philosophy.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:50 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;108440 wrote:
Yes, but then it would be Science Forums, would it not? People come to a philosophy forum to ask philosophical questions, which science may, or may not, have answers to.

True, that is why this thread and our postinga, are to Philosophy of Science, not Science.

---------- Post added 12-05-2009 at 11:30 PM ----------

paulhanke;108441 wrote:
... but does science ever have a "victor"?
Your question, rephrased to reflect my statement : "Was history written by the Victor?", can be answered with this , starting at 0:50. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Br6UsENtk
paulhanke

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 11:01 pm
@memester,
memester;108460 wrote:
Your question, rephrased to reflect my statement : "Was history written by the Victor?", can be answered with this , starting at 0:50.

... so with each new scientific observation, who is it who is the "victor", and how are they "writing history", as opposed to reading (even if it be a case of misreading, as in luminiferous aether) it? ...
jeeprs

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 12:05 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;108453 wrote:
How is that a philosophical question and not a purely scientific one? If your question is something like "why didn't multicellular life develop among prokaryotes", or "why didn't unikonts have a plastid endosymbiosis", or "why do vertebrates typically have 5 digits per appendage (at least embryologically)" these are not really food for philosophical speculation. The answers (whether complete or partial) lie in the science.

But your questions might include 'does life evolve towards higher and higher states of intelligence because this is an underlying aim or telos of the evolutionary process', or 'apart from the evolution of the species of homo sapiens, does the consciousness of individual humans and of the species as a whole continue to evolve?'

Do you think these are scientific questions?
memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:38 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108467 wrote:
... so with each new scientific observation, who is it who is the "victor", and how are they "writing history", as opposed to reading (even if it be a case of misreading, as in luminiferous aether) it? ...
paulhanke, even though we can say that theories are in competition, and that one wins over the other, as being "better", that's rather irrelevant.

Those who claim victory, I would say, are those able to spread their word and sell it effectively, afterward.
LIke Dawkins. Selling effectively. Standing proud on "Darwin's Ground" , ZamZam water for sale, flowing from his fingertips.

pg 31. Changes the meaning of "gene", to be able to say that a single gene, yes a single gene is responsible for all the mimicness, by saying that many genes acting together are doing "whatever we're talking about" - thus it's a single gene ( through his fallacious equivocation ).

Noted, his assertions on mimicry, and use of the classical butterfly tales, because they're it.

How the expressed function of many genes acting together, is now a single gene.

The selfish gene - Google Books

and criticism of this fallacious and deceptive equivocation, comes from a scientist supporter of Dawkins, who gets rubbed the wrong way on that issue.

Sandwalk: The Richard Dawkins Definition of a Gene Is Seriously Flawed
Quote:
He defines his genetic replicators in terms of alleles which means that they don't exist unless there is variation in the genome.
Dawkins will call 'whatever is happening", "genetics/genotype/gene". Even the environmental inputs ( which he includes in "phenotype" which is dependant on genotype), thus are included in his fabrication of that single selfish gene, which once conjugated into being, does "whatever is happening"

Googlage of "mimicry animals" pops up this for me.
The Arts of Deception - MIMICRY AND CAMOUFLAGE in the Rainforest

and it gives interesting signs to look for in the Muellerian mimicry, which is sharing of risk, and deterrent value ( of bad taste).

With Monarch and Viceroy they have bad taste, if we believe the small literature saying that.

Having a deterrent is not mimicry though. Taking unearned advantage of that deterrent value, getting undue enrichment, is the "deceitful" purpose of mimicry then. It's a Protestant thing. Like writing a novel was deceit, in Dickens' time. Like taking a "head shot" was cheating the early movie-goer.

However, sharing of risk is accomplished through looking alike, orienting alike, moving alike...as with some kinds of groups of fish; look alike, and turn this way or that alike, and the predator cannot easily differentiate the target. The "how" is by Behaviours. The "why" is by Will. All sing the same song, same page, and the song continues

To put it into perpective, our children are being taught what they are, in large part because of Dawkins' Ministry, which all stems from his need to fight his childhood nightmares stirred by Lord Tennyson's works.

But when you let your fears dictate what you think, and you start selling your fears and the remedy, you sometimes might forget that plagiarism is copying, but mimicry is not copying.

A comic might mimic, but he will not be infringing on the rights of the mimicked. He is not unduly enriching himself through copywronging. :bigsmile:

Then Dawkins needs to say that genes are the cause of actual copying behaviour...the "gene" including the expression regulators and all else, including any signalling from the environment.

Still, though, a comic might mimic, but he will not be infringing on the rights of the mimicked. He is not unduly enriching himself through copywronging. :bigsmile:

A tree frog is not copying a leaf when he folds himself into the crevice, nor can we say the purpose of the action is to copy a leaf.

On another note; if you say his act is a fooling of predators, then we would have to assume that he knows the stats on frogs picked when fooling vs. frogs picked when not fooling, and then chooses the wiser action.