Doesn't darwinian theory fall apart on ontological grounds?

memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:50 am
@memester,
[INDENT]A Selfish Gene At Work
Dawkins[quote]Genes Still Central[/quote]
Quote:
: David Sloan Wilson's lifelong quest to redefine "group selection" in such a way as to sow maximum confusion--and even to confuse the normally wise and sensible Edward O. Wilson into joining him--is of no more scientific interest than semantic double talk ever is. What goes beyond semantics, however, is his statement (it is safe to assume that E.O. Wilson is blameless) that "Both Williams and Dawkins eventually acknowledged their error [that the replicator concept provides an argument against group selection]...I cannot speak for George Williams but, as far as I am concerned, the statement is false: not a semantic confusion; not an exaggeration of a half-truth; not a distortion of a quarter truth; but a total, unmitigated, barefaced lie. Like many scientists, I am delighted to acknowledge occasions when I have changed my mind, but this is not one of them. D.S. Wilson should apologize. E.O. Wilson, being the gentleman that he is, probably will.
DS
Quote:
Gracious! What a hierarchical guy! Dawkins acts as if he is the No. 2 monkey, kowtowing to the No. 1 monkey (Ed) while dishing it out to the No. 3 monkey (me)! As Ed commented to me after reading Dawkins' comment, "What does he think--that you slipped me a Mickey?
Dawkins
Quote:
DS Wilson
Quote:
This passage has all the earmarks of fundamentalist rhetoric, including appropriating the deity (Darwin) for one's own cause. Never mind that Darwin was the first group selectionist. Moreover, unlike The Selfish Gene, The Extended Phenotype was written by Dawkins for his scientific peers, not for a popular audience!
Darwin
Quote:
It must not be forgotten that although a high standard of morality gives but a slight or no advantage to each individual man and his children over the other men of the same tribe, yet an increase in the number of well-endowed men and an advancement in the standard of morality will certainly give an immense advantage to one tribe over another. A tribe including many members who, from possessing [a high degree of] the spirit of patriotism, fidelity, obedience, courage and sympathy, were always ready to aid one another, and to sacrifice themselves for the common good, would be victorious over most other tribes; and this would be natural selection (p. 203)
Dawkins
Quote:
...until we finally regained Darwin's ground, the position that I am characterizing by the label
" 'ZamZam'. And From This Well is Drawn Water for Ye Who Thirst "
[/INDENT]
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:02 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;108472 wrote:
But your questions might include 'does life evolve towards higher and higher states of intelligence because this is an underlying aim or telos of the evolutionary process', or 'apart from the evolution of the species of homo sapiens, does the consciousness of individual humans and of the species as a whole continue to evolve?'

Do you think these are scientific questions?
The first question would be outwardly rejected as completely incompatible with science. Not simply that very very few species have evolved towards "higher states of intelligence", so this question would imply "superiority" and "inferiority" based on intelligence (and this is a nonscientific value judgment) -- but rather the fact that teleology is altogether incompatible with everything we understand about natural processes.

The second question IS a scientific one. Of course the answer can only be ascertained up until the present moment, and the real question is over what timescale are you interested. There is ZERO reason to believe that humans are any more intelligent in 2009 than they were in 5000 BC, which is an utterly insignificant trifle in evolutionary time (with some notable exceptions for major selective sweeps). We make spaceships now and made only crude tools back then, but this is also because technology builds on itself and there weren't sedentary societies with nearly as much industry then.

Of course one can say that there is no evidence that spruce trees, rosebushes, mushrooms, paramecia, yeasts, amoebae, bacteria, coral, scorpions, cartilaginous fish, salamanders, or beavers are getting any more intelligent with time -- so intelligence MUST be seen as an advantageous survival strategy for a huge minority of species.

And one can even speculate that there is a serious selective disadvantage to intelligence at our level, because it has led to rapid overpopulation, pollution, and efficient killing methods -- so the human species might actually thrive better (i.e. be more evolutionarily advantaged) if the median intelligence were considerably lower.
memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:48 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;108525 wrote:
The first question would be outwardly rejected as completely incompatible with science. Not simply that very very few species have evolved towards "higher states of intelligence", so this question would imply "superiority" and "inferiority" based on intelligence (and this is a nonscientific value judgment) -- but rather the fact that teleology is altogether incompatible with everything we understand about natural processes.

how about a question like
Quote:
Did the subject show evolution toward higher states of intelligence, during it's ontogeny ?
or even
Quote:
Did the subject show evolution toward higher states of fat depositon in certain cells compared to other cells , during it's ontogeny ?
Just trying to determine where the Science Forum is, the one populated with Measurers.

How about
Quote:
Is Intelligence heritable ?
paulhanke

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 11:01 am
@memester,
memester;108500 wrote:
paulhanke, even though we can say that theories are in competition, and that one wins over the other, as being "better", that's rather irrelevant.

... not from a philosophy of science perspective - from that perspective, it is precisely what is relevant ... for example, it is relevant that Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene" hypotheses about the priority of genes and how individual genes exclusively produce phenotypic traits is viewed as outdated in light of the discovery of the relatively small number of genes (with respect to the information needed for human development), the discovery of gene regulation networks, group selection being taken more seriously, etc. ... what is not relevant here is Dawkins' aggressive self promotion and his societal opinions on how scientific knowledge should be disseminated ...

memester;108500 wrote:
A tree frog is not copying a leaf when he folds himself into the crevice, nor can we say the purpose of the action is to copy a leaf.

On another note; if you say his act is a fooling of predators, then we would have to assume that he knows the stats on frogs picked when fooling vs. frogs picked when not fooling, and then chooses the wiser action.

... agreed - an individual tree frog does not know it is fooling a predator ... my thought is more along the lines of what is the tree frog species doing when it evolves the species toward such camouflage ... given that there is "memory" and inter-species cooperation/competition within an ecology involved, can a species be said to "know" (at some rudimentary level) what it is doing? ... from an AI perspective, evolutionary algorithms are considered intelligent algorithms - but the term "intelligence" as it is technically used in AI has changed radically as AI has learned more about what it is to be intelligent (for example, ant colonies are considered to be intelligent systems) ... a question then is how complex an intelligent system has to be before it can be said to "know" ... is "knowing" gradually accumulated as intelligence is gradually increased?; or is it a punctuated phase change that occurs when the dynamics of intelligence reach a point of self-organized criticality? ...

---------- Post added 12-06-2009 at 10:30 AM ----------

Aedes;108525 wrote:
The second question IS a scientific one. Of course the answer can only be ascertained up until the present moment, and the real question is over what timescale are you interested. There is ZERO reason to believe that humans are any more intelligent in 2009 than they were in 5000 BC, which is an utterly insignificant trifle in evolutionary time (with some notable exceptions for major selective sweeps). We make spaceships now and made only crude tools back then, but this is also because technology builds on itself and there weren't sedentary societies with nearly as much industry then.

... but if the scientific answer is strictly biological, then doesn't the question remain a philosophical one? ... that is, even if our biological being hasn't changed in 7,000 years, I think it can be said that a person that acquires advanced technologies for thinking (logic, math, etc.) is more intelligent than one that is not ... and as we continue to improve our technologies for thinking, I think it can be said that human intelligence continues to evolve ... can the same be said of consciousness? ...
Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 12:00 pm
@memester,
paulhanke;108543 wrote:
I think it can be said that a person that acquires advanced technologies for thinking (logic, math, etc.) is more intelligent than one that is not ... and as we continue to improve our technologies for thinking, I think it can be said that human intelligence continues to evolve
And I disagree. If you take 1000 cro-magnon children, teleport them to the future, raise them in 2009, send them to prep school, send them to Yale, there is every reason to believe that they would function identically to modern children.

memester;108533 wrote:
how about a question like: Did the subject show evolution toward higher states of intelligence, during it's ontogeny ?
I can't really address this question as posed -- you use the terms "subject", "evolution", "higher states", "intelligence", and "ontogeny" in ways that make it unclear what you're actually asking.

memester;108533 wrote:
How about: Did the subject show evolution toward higher states of fat depositon in certain cells compared to other cells , during it's ontogeny ?
Again, what is your subject? Is it a frog? Is it a cross-sectional look at one population at one point in time? Or is it a longitudinal look at a population over many generations?

What is a "higher state"? Do you mean quantitatively more?

What is "ontogeny" in this scenario? Are you referring back to the origin of life? To the origin of the universe? Or to the divergence of two evolutionary lines?
paulhanke

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 01:06 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108545 wrote:
And I disagree. If you take 1000 cro-magnon children, teleport them to the future, raise them in 2009, send them to prep school, send them to Yale, there is every reason to believe that they would function identically to modern children.

... and vice versa, which is precisely the point of the philosophical question - viewed as an "intelligent system", human intelligence doesn't appear to be purely biological, but rather a composition of the biological and the technological ... and so it appears that the intelligent system as a whole continues to evolve as technology evolves ...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 01:26 pm
@richard mcnair,
Intelligence when formally defined usually refers to biological potential. This isn't solely genetic, because acquired events (like fetal alcohol syndrome or near-asphyxia) can obviously impair intelligence, and it's known that cultural factors and being in an intellectually nurturing environment can alter scores on intelligence tests.

That said, inherited technology is never regarded as intelligence to my knowledge in any system, setting, or discussion I've ever seen.

Were humans "dumber" during the dark ages than they had been during the time of Greece and Rome before and the Renaissance after? After all, they had lost technology, they had lost continuity with a technologically (and intellectually) greater time. No, they were no less intelligent. They were just less developed.
memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:32 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108543 wrote:
... not from a philosophy of science perspective - from that perspective, it is precisely what is relevant ... for example, it is relevant that Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene" hypotheses about the priority of genes and how individual genes exclusively produce phenotypic traits is viewed as outdated in light of the discovery of the relatively small number of genes (with respect to the information needed for human development), the discovery of gene regulation networks, group selection being taken more seriously, etc. ... what is not relevant here is Dawkins' aggressive self promotion and his societal opinions on how scientific knowledge should be disseminated ...
Yes, well, you took my words out of context. Your question being
Quote:
so with each new scientific observation, who is it who is the "victor"
and as I had not addresed "Victors with each new observation", I turned it into a question reflecting what I had said. Which is again, not what you are talking about now. I attempted to show a powerful figure in our society, claiming victory for his side, and writing his own version of what happened. There were these "Victors" who have claimed the area as theirs
Quote:
Neo Darwinian cultism has obscured the approach to understanding the meaning of the signs, that philosophers need to distinguish.
Quote:

... agreed - an individual tree frog does not know it is fooling a predator ... my thought is more along the lines of what is the tree frog species doing when it evolves the species toward such camouflage ... given that there is "memory" and inter-species cooperation/competition within an ecology involved, can a species be said to "know" (at some rudimentary level) what it is doing? ... from an AI perspective, evolutionary algorithms are considered intelligent algorithms - but the term "intelligence" as it is technically used in AI has changed radically as AI has learned more about what it is to be intelligent (for example, ant colonies are considered to be intelligent systems) ... a question then is how complex an intelligent system has to be before it can be said to "know" ... is "knowing" gradually accumulated as intelligence is gradually increased?; or is it a punctuated phase change that occurs when the dynamics of intelligence reach a point of self-organized criticality? ..
Right. I think that the difference you are gettting at is the difference between data based intelliegence
and meaning based intelligence. We display both kinds. Machines display data based intelligence that can be seen to be growing, during their development over the years.
Quote:

... but if the scientific answer is strictly biological, then doesn't the question remain a philosophical one? ... that is, even if our biological being hasn't changed in 7,000 years, I think it can be said that a person that acquires advanced technologies for thinking (logic, math, etc.) is more intelligent than one that is not ... and as we continue to improve our technologies for thinking, I think it can be said that human intelligence continues to evolve ... can the same be said of consciousness? ...
I don't think it's about tech, as peoples that until recently were fairly isolated, can quickly learn to pick up a cell phone, drive a car to a mall, use GPS, and so on.

---------- Post added 12-06-2009 at 04:57 PM ----------

Aedes;108564 wrote:
Intelligence when formally defined usually refers to biological potential. This isn't solely genetic, because acquired events (like fetal alcohol syndrome or near-asphyxia) can obviously impair intelligence, and it's known that cultural factors and being in an intellectually nurturing environment can alter scores on intelligence tests.

That said, inherited technology is never regarded as intelligence to my knowledge in any system, setting, or discussion I've ever seen.

Were humans "dumber" during the dark ages than they had been during the time of Greece and Rome before and the Renaissance after? After all, they had lost technology, they had lost continuity with a technologically (and intellectually) greater time. No, they were no less intelligent. They were just less developed.
We have terms such as "heritability" used in population genetics, "inherited" , which can be used in more than one way, "genetic", which is used in more than one field, and so on.

When I say is intelligence "heritable", it is used in the sense used in population genetics.

Results in numbers, percentages.

"Inherited" is in that case, meaning something that IS "passed down", in all cases of normal offspring...although possibly different situation on that between sexes, as one example of problem areas to be dealt with ( as in heritability of height; everyone has it, to varying degrees, potential from genes and environmental inputs making it, but then also males showing difference from females ).

Now how do we categorize something that is "passed on", but in such a way as a bird's song is passed on ..through offspring learning it from father ? Family skills, trades ( e.g. weaponry, brewing, ceramics ), or recipes ( sausages, apple pie), customs ( e.g. cannibalism ) which distinguish a bloodline and contribute to survivaility of lineage ?
jeeprs

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108525 wrote:

Which goes exactly to the point that science simply does recognise some of the most important questions in philosophy. The question of the 'inner development' of the human has been of supreme importance to many schools of philosophy since civilization began, but it goes right under the radar as far as science is concerned.

Aedes;108525 wrote:

Of course one can say that there is no evidence that spruce trees, rosebushes, mushrooms, paramecia, yeasts, amoebae, bacteria, coral, scorpions, cartilaginous fish, salamanders, or beavers are getting any more intelligent with time -- so intelligence MUST be seen as an advantageous survival strategy for a huge minority of species.

And one can even speculate that there is a serious selective disadvantage to intelligence at our level, because it has led to rapid overpopulation, pollution, and efficient killing methods -- so the human species might actually thrive better (i.e. be more evolutionarily advantaged) if the median intelligence were considerably lower.

I didn't refer to the intelligence level. The question was about the level of consciousness. I suppose this is a very vague idea. Let's sharpen it a little by observing the difference between cultures that kill, rape, pillage, destroy - say the Huns and the Vikings - and those that cultivate a civlized ethos honouring ethical commitment, social ties, art and literacy - Greek, Indian and Chinese classical culture, for example.

Do you think these kinds of tendencies illustrate different points in the scale of the evolution - or maybe development would be a better word - of consicousness? Given that h. sapiens is genetically identical now with 30,000 BC the enormous diversity of people and cultures serves to illustrate the very point that when it comes to understanding human nature, evolutionary biology is a very blunt instrument indeed, not the all-encompassing theory of everything that many of its advocates hold up to be.
memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:06 pm
@jeeprs,
Remembering that "Heritability" of a trait can change during ontogeny

A child, at some stage, though not displaying his full height, may be in the population being measured. Smile

---------- Post added 12-06-2009 at 06:17 PM ----------

Aedes;108545 wrote:

I can't really address this question as posed -- you use the terms "subject", "evolution", "higher states", "intelligence", and "ontogeny" in ways that make it unclear what you're actually asking.

Again, what is your subject? Is it a frog? Is it a cross-sectional look at one population at one point in time? Or is it a longitudinal look at a population over many generations?

What is a "higher state"? Do you mean quantitatively more?

What is "ontogeny" in this scenario? Are you referring back to the origin of life? To the origin of the universe? Or to the divergence of two evolutionary lines?
I left those open to your scientific discernments. I asked if Science can handle SUCH a question.

the subject can be your choice ( e.g. a population of farmed trout or schoolchildren ) , the definition of Intelligence can be your choice ( e.g. IQ) and the Ontogeny can be your choice too.

Can Science handle those questions in whatever manner deemed fit ?

Let's get REAL. If Science cannot even be said to be able to deal with questions of measuring and heritability and ontogeny and subject of "giraffe neck", how the heck are you guys able to make such definite pronouncements on Lamarckism ?

You see, the worker at Walmart ( a bluecoat ) can tell me what size of shoe I need now...asking: what further use are you guys ( the whitecoats) than that, if you do not engage on the philosophical level ?
paulhanke

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:06 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108564 wrote:

... but for some contemporary philosophers of cognitive science (most notable, Andy Clark, who's been writing on the topic for over a decade), inherited technology is viewed (from a systems perspective of intelligence) as contributing to intelligence ... Rockwell then picks up where Clark leaves off and takes the plunge into theorizing (in the philosophical sense) about the same holding true for consciousness ...

Aedes;108564 wrote:

... in your estimation, which time was able to respond more intelligently to the issues at hand? ... that is, which culture was more intellectually developed? ...
memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:13 pm
@paulhanke,
I think that even a single human specimen's behavours can be seen to have greatly affected the genomes of some populations : some of those behaviours of G. Khan.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
@memester,
memester;108590 wrote:
Yes, well, you took my words out of context. Your question being and as I had not addresed "Victors with each new observation", I turned it into a question reflecting what I had said. Which is again, not what you are talking about now. I attempted to show a powerful figure in our society, claiming victory for his side, and writing his own version of what happened.

... if Dawkins does not respond to recent scientific discoveries that challenge and/or falsify the hypotheses he presented in "The Selfish Gene", then yes - he can be said to be guilty of trying to uphold flawed hypotheses against growing evidence to the contrary ... but for him to do so would be career suicide, so I doubt that he would ... and in that sense, he is "reading" from the same book of nature that all other scientists are "reading" from (even if he is more irritatingly vocal about it) ... that's not to say that there has never been a scientist who took advantage of position to push a flawed hypothesis when there was refuting evidence as well as a better hypothesis available (e.g., Lysenko) - but that's not science, that's politics and greed ...
memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:34 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108636 wrote:
... if Dawkins does not respond to recent scientific discoveries that challenge and/or falsify the hypotheses he presented in "The Selfish Gene", then yes - he can be said to be guilty of trying to uphold flawed hypotheses against growing evidence to the contrary ... but for him to do so would be career suicide, so I doubt that he would ... and in that sense, he is "reading" from the same book of nature that all other scientists are "reading" from (even if he is more irritatingly vocal about it) ... that's not to say that there has never been a scientist who took advantage of position to push a flawed hypothesis when there was refuting evidence as well as a better hypothesis available (e.g., Lysenko) - but that's not science, that's politics and greed ...
No, I'm talking about the part quoted where he is claiming that Neo Darwinists recaptured "Darwin's Ground", the Selfish Organism grounds of Individual Level Selection only. that statement compared to Darwin's own statements
Quote:
It must not be forgotten that...morality gives but a slight or no advantage to each individual...yet an increase in the number ...will certainly give an immense advantage to one tribe over another. ... would be victorious over most other tribes; and this would be natural selection (p. 203)
jeeprs

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:25 pm
@richard mcnair,
I think at this point it might be apposite to recall the now largely forgotten, but once highly influential, Herbert Spencer:

Quote:
Spencer developed an all-embracing conception of evolution as the progressive development of the physical world, biological organisms, the human mind, and human culture and societies. As a polymath, he contributed to a wide range of subjects, including ethics, religion, economics, politics, philosophy, biology, sociology, and psychology. During his lifetime he achieved tremendous authority, mainly in English Speaking circles. Indeed in Britain and the United States at "one time Spencer's disciples had not blushed to compare him with Aristotle!"

From Wikipedia
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:28 pm
@memester,
memester;108637 wrote:
No, I'm talking about the part quoted where he is claiming that Neo Darwinists recaptured "Darwin's Ground", the Selfish Organism grounds of Individual Level Selection only. that statement compared to Darwin's own statements

... well, it sounds like he has "lost some ground" along the way - it's no longer the "Selfish Gene", but rather the "Selfish Organism" Smile ... anyhoo, if Dawkins chooses to characterize the advance of science as a war, that's his business ... but in the end, Dawkins cannot write the natural history, but only read it along the rest of scientific community ... what he counts as a "victory" here is that the natural history being read appears to be consistent with his scientific views ... but if you're referring to Dawkins characterizing his views as being fully in line with Darwin's, it also appears that Wilson is calling him out on that (and as many of Darwin's original publications as there are floating around, it would be almost as hard for Dawkins to rewrite that history as it would be for him to rewrite natural history!) ...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:30 pm
@memester,
memester;108610 wrote:
If Science cannot even be said to be able to deal with questions of measuring and heritability and ontogeny and subject of "giraffe neck"
It can. Go read the Science and PNAS papers about the genetic determinants of morphologic diversity in dogs. Long nose vs short nose, big vs small body, long vs short hair, etc, all comes down to repeating motifs in a tiny number of genes.

Quote:
Science 21 May 2004: Vol. 304. no. 5674, pp. 1160 - 1164

Genetic Structure of the Purebred Domestic Dog

Heidi G. Parker,1,2,3Lisa V. Kim,1,2,4Nathan B. Sutter,1,2Scott Carlson,1 Travis D. Lorentzen,1,2Tiffany B. Malek,1,3Gary S. Johnson,5Hawkins B. DeFrance,1,2 Elaine A. Ostrander,1,2,3,4*Leonid Kruglyak1,3,4,6

We used molecular markers to study genetic relationships in a diverse collection of 85 domestic dog breeds. Differences among breeds accounted for 30% of genetic variation. Microsatellite genotypes were used to correctly assign 99% of individual dogs to breeds. Phylogenetic analysis separated several breeds with ancient origins from the remaining breeds with modern European origins. We identified four genetic clusters, which predominantly contained breeds with similar geographic origin, morphology, or role in human activities. These results provide a genetic classification of dog breeds and will aid studies of the genetics of phenotypic breed differences.

1 Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Post Office Box 19024, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, D4-100, Seattle, WA 98109-1024, USA.
2 Division of Clinical Research, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Post Office Box 19024, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, D4-100, Seattle, WA 98109-1024, USA.
3 Molecular and Cellular Biology Program, University of Washington, Box 357275, Seattle, WA 98195-7275, USA.
4 Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Box 351800, Seattle, WA 98195-7275, USA.
5 Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA.
6 Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, D4-100, Seattle, WA 98109-1024, USA.

Molecular origins of rapid and continuous morphological evolution ? PNAS

Quote:
PNAS December 28, 2004 vol. 101 no. 52 18058-18063

Molecular origins of rapid and continuous morphological evolution

1. John W. Fondon III* and
  2. Harold R. Garner

+ Author Affiliations

1. Eugene McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development and Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390-8591

1. Communicated by Marc W. Kirschner, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, November 2, 2004 (received for review August 30, 2004)

Abstract

Mutations in cis-regulatory sequences have been implicated as being the predominant source of variation in morphological evolution. We offer a hypothesis that gene-associated tandem repeat expansions and contractions are a major source of phenotypic variation in evolution. Here, we describe a comparative genomic study of repetitive elements in developmental genes of 92 breeds of dogs. We find evidence for selection for divergence at coding repeat loci in the form of both elevated purity and extensive length polymorphism among different breeds. Variations in the number of repeats in the coding regions of the Alx-4 (aristaless-like 4) and Runx-2 (runt-related transcription factor 2) genes were quantitatively associated with significant differences in limb and skull morphology. We identified similar repeat length variation in the coding repeats of Runx-2, Twist, and Dlx-2 in several other species. The high frequency and incremental effects of repeat length mutations provide molecular explanations for swift, yet topologically conservative morphological evolution.
memester;108610 wrote:
You see, the worker at Walmart ( a bluecoat ) can tell me what size of shoe I need now...asking: what further use are you guys ( the whitecoats) than that, if you do not engage on the philosophical level ?
The "philosophical level", at least as I read it on this forum, misquotes, misattributes, and misunderstands science nearly constantly. At the level of professional and academic philosophers, I think they're careful enough to try and understand any subject outside their field before putting their neck out.

And what further use is science outside of philosophy? Didn't Newton answer that question when he figured out how to predict the tides?

memester;108634 wrote:
I think that even a single human specimen's behavours can be seen to have greatly affected the genomes of some populations.
Sure -- like eradicating the moa. Or by nearly exterminating some species you create a genetic bottleneck. Or by introducing antibiotics you create a selective sweep that favors antibiotic resistance genes. Like I said, selective sweeps are the only real example of revolutionary genetic change -- because they are a culling. The appearance of multiple human polymorphisms to resist malaria, most famously the sickle cell gene, over the course of only about 10,000 to 100,000 years, is by far the most rapid selective sweep that's been identified in the human genome.

Intelligence, of course, is highly polygenic and is modulated by lots of nongenetic factors. But if selection at just a few red blood cell loci in the face of a direct lethal challenge like malaria has taken 10,000 to 100,000 years to produce a few relatively rare polymorphisms, and THIS is the most rapid example of human evolution in that time period, then what makes you think that genes governing intelligence would evolve any faster?? What kind of massive lethal pressure could they be under? 100,000 years ago we didn't even have cave art. And yet you think the ENTIRE human species became THAT much more intelligent, this rapidly, from genetic evolution?

I doubt it. One of our major evolutionary advances is the ability to have and to transmit culture. So our biological potential intelligence, which has existed for hundreds of thousands of years, allows us to have systemic sophistication simply by learning from the past.

paulhanke;108632 wrote:
... but for some contemporary philosophers of cognitive science (most notable, Andy Clark, who's been writing on the topic for over a decade), inherited technology is viewed (from a systems perspective of intelligence) as contributing to intelligence ... Rockwell then picks up where Clark leaves off and takes the plunge into theorizing (in the philosophical sense) about the same holding true for consciousness ...
That may be, but systemic intelligence is different than species intelligence. They are analagous, but we cannot be mixing terms. The biological intelligence of Homo sapiens probably has not changed much in thousands of years. The "systemic intelligence", if there is such a thing, is more developed, more systematized, more experienced, etc -- but this is vastly different than the traditional concept of intelligence as something that is biologically innate.

paulhanke;108632 wrote:
in your estimation, which time was able to respond more intelligently to the issues at hand? ... that is, which culture was more intellectually developed? ...
I don't know how to answer that one, I mean which variables are we using? There were so many extrinsic issues at play in both civilizations. During the European dark ages the Islamic world and the Byzantine world both rivaled Rome's cultural and intellectual achievements (exceeded in some ways) -- and both had continuity with ancient Rome. On the other hand, Italy proper and most of Europe were sort of starting over with small kingdoms, little philosophical output, little invention... It's too complicated to pick a winner or a loser.
paulhanke

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:55 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108646 wrote:
-- but this is vastly different than the traditional concept of intelligence as something that is biologically innate.

... and it is precisely that traditional concept that is being questioned, not only by philosophers of cognitive science such as Clark, Rockwell, etc., but also in the fields of AI and robotics ... and it's not the biological foundation that is being questioned - but rather the sufficiency of the biological contributions to provide a full accounting of intelligence ... in these (admittedly small) corners, intelligence is being reconsidered as the nexus of brain, body, and world ... and from this point of view, perturbations of any one (or more) of these three would result in a perturbation of intelligence ...
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 08:58 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108646 wrote:
It can. Go read the Science and PNAS papers about the genetic determinants of morphologic diversity in dogs. Long nose vs short nose, big vs small body, long vs short hair, etc, all comes down to repeating motifs in a tiny number of genes.
And this is the whole question, including the part you snipped off
Quote:
Let's get REAL. If Science cannot even be said to be able to deal with questions of measuring and heritability and ontogeny and subject of "giraffe neck", how the heck are you guys able to make such definite pronouncements on Lamarckism ?
Where are the long-term or even short term studies on giraffe neck and forebears' experiences, which you guys base your opinion on...opinion which tells others that they know not enough about the subject ?
Isn't the opinion really something like this ? "Haw haw. Nobody with any credibility believes that stuff."

---------- Post added 12-06-2009 at 10:30 PM ----------

Aedes;108646 wrote:

The "philosophical level", at least as I read it on this forum, misquotes, misattributes, and misunderstands science nearly constantly. At the level of professional and academic philosophers, I think they're careful enough to try and understand any subject outside their field before putting their neck out.
The proverbial dotted line mimicking the Monarch Wing at times...
On Behaviours of G Khan and populations.
Quote:

Sure -- like eradicating the moa. Or by nearly exterminating some species you create a genetic bottleneck.
you forget sexual and mating behavours and the concubines, a veritable Grand BeachMaster of the human species, forming governed regions with laws on behaviours, and so on.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:31 pm
@richard mcnair,
Do a search -- in more than 4000 posts on this forum I'm not sure I've mentioned Lamarck even once until now, so I make no pronouncements. Darwinism vs Lamarckism is irrelevant, because the signatures of evolution lie at a molecular level and not a macroscopic morphologic level.

I don't think they've sequenced the giraffe genome. I may be wrong, I don't know. But presumably the giraffe's way of achieving a long neck is not so different than a dog's way of achieving a long nose, so the points from those papers can be easily translated. In other words, major morphologic variants can arise from tiny genetic changes, and to be selectively advantageous allows such genetic changes to become more frequent and eventually predominant in a population.

---------- Post added 12-06-2009 at 10:34 PM ----------

memester;108653 wrote:
The proverbial dotted line mimicking the Monarch Wing at times...
On Behaviours of G Khan and populations.
Not sure what you're talking about here.

memester;108653 wrote:
you forget sexual and mating behavours and the concubines, a veritable Grand BeachMaster of the human species.
Nonrandom mating, as I've mentioned in numerous evolutionary biology threads here, is a major contributor to evolution. It's a variant on natural selection.