Doesn't darwinian theory fall apart on ontological grounds?

memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:34 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108664 wrote:
Do a search -- in more than 4000 posts on this forum I'm not sure I've mentioned Lamarck even once until now, so I make no pronouncements. Darwinism vs Lamarckism is irrelevant, because the signatures of evolution lie at a molecular level and not a macroscopic morphologic level.

I don't think they've sequenced the giraffe genome. I may be wrong, I don't know. But presumably the giraffe's way of achieving a long neck is not so different than a dog's way of achieving a long nose, so the points from those papers can be easily translated. In other words, major morphologic variants can arise from tiny genetic changes, and to be selectively advantageous allows such genetic changes to become more frequent and eventually predominant in a population.
You know what I'm talking about though, whether you personally offer comment or not.

You do offer comment on individual level selection only . Correct ?

---------- Post added 12-06-2009 at 10:37 PM ----------

Aedes;108664 wrote:

Nonrandom mating, as I've mentioned in numerous evolutionary biology threads here, is a major contributor to evolution. It's a variant on natural selection.
And so G. khan's learned behaviours had pretty clear evolutionary significance ? I mean, he didn't do all that without experience, eh ?
How about Northern Dancer ? without his learning to race, would his genes have become dominant forces in racehorse ?
Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:51 pm
@memester,
memester;108666 wrote:
You know what I'm talking about though, whether you personally offer comment or not.
Not really, actually, I didn't pay attention to the discussion about it because I didn't think it all that germane.

memester;108666 wrote:
You do offer comment on individual level selection only . Correct ?
That's quite a simplification of my point of view. Evolution, fundamentally, is population genetics. Population genetics change over time in part because of differential selection of every individual genome. So yes, selection happens person by person, organism by organism, germ line by germ line -- but no, evolution is a population level event and not an individual level event.

memester;108666 wrote:
And so G. khan's learned behaviours had pretty clear evolutionary significance ? I mean, he didn't do all that without experience, eh ?
I don't really know what you're talking about. Or what it has to do with anything I've said. You lose your own points in sarcasm.

memester;108666 wrote:
How about Northern Dancer ? without his learning to race, would his genes have become dominant forces in racehorse ?
I get it, but I'm still trying to understand what your point is.
memester

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 10:00 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;108672 wrote:

That's quite a simplification of my point of view. Evolution, fundamentally, is population genetics.
equivalent by some definitions.
Quote:
Population genetics change over time in part because of differential selection of every individual genome.
that's one part...and what are the other parts ?

Quote:

So yes, selection happens person by person
yes
Quote:
organism by organism
"organism" as individual specimen, or "organism" as species ?
Quote:
germ line by germ line
ah, a germ line is not an individual. There we go. Selection is on other than individual ?

Quote:

-- but no, evolution is a population level event and not an individual level event.
but yes, we were talking 'bout selection on individual ONLY and now you say "no", but you're talking about Evolution instead.
memester

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 12:23 am
@memester,
If 1 in 200 men are related to Genghis - and that taking less than a millenium to achieve - then it would seem that behaviour can do something.

but what ?

1/ wipe out individuals, groups. tribes, populations , species, genera, and so on ?
2/ produce more offspring ?
3/ increase success likelihood for offspring ?
4/ form new individuals. groups. tribes, populations....species...?
5/ change the environment locally or globally ?

The popularized learned ability of swimming techniques and the wearing of life jackets has altered the human in ocean = "selected against phenotype" scenario significantly.
Behaviour does things, Evolution-wise.

and it's about time for these scientists to stop the denials and figure out some of the significant "whats and wheres"
prothero

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 01:23 am
@memester,
memester;108690 wrote:
Behaviour does things, Evolution-wise.

and it's about time for these scientists to stop the denials "

I think that is true that "behavior" affects population genetics. I do not think any scientist would deny that. It is the relationship between genetics and behavior that may be controversial. In lower life forms there may be a close relationship between genetics and behaviors, in humans the relationship is probably much less determined.

Entire societies, races and cultures have been wiped out and it is not necessarily because they were "genetically inferior" but because their overall social structure and adaptations (behaviors) fell prey to another culture or society. Changes in gene frequency in populations are due to factors other than just "genes". Behavior is an important factor in survival and procreation as well. It would be hard to make the argument that all behaviors are genetically determined. Natural selection works on behaviors as well as genes.

Darwin did not know anything (or very little) about genes or the genetic basis of evolution when he developed his theory. His theory was largely based on behavioral and structural variation and natural selection (not on genetic theory). So I am not sure how that argument works against evolution?
memester

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 01:56 am
@prothero,
prothero;108702 wrote:
Natural selection works on behaviors as well as genes.

Darwin did not know anything (or very little) about genes or the genetic basis of evolution when he developed his theory. His theory was largely based on behavioral and structural variation and natural selection (not on genetic theory). So I am not sure how that argument works against evolution?
It doesn't work against Evolution. It works against the ideas of the "Neo Darwinists" such as Dawkins et al, of the "Individual Level Selection only" crew.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 02:28 am
@richard mcnair,
No reason there couldn't be undiscovered factors. Let's say we're at the Newton level of biology. (An analogy) An biologist Einstein might discover something that was there all along, but we were too prejudiced or unimaginative to grasp it.

Perhaps the creationists in their obvious bias might counteract a less obvious bias in their opponents. Opposition is sometimes true friendship.. Our enemies keep us sharp, force us to double-check.

Arrogance and prejudice share a twin bed.
Bracewell

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:00 pm
@Reconstructo,
All thru this thread, symbiotic and parasitic relationships seem to be ignored. These are the most important relationships in biology and they are probably responsible for the amazingly spectacular development of the cell. The opportunities that are taken are the result of the potential of chemistry.
There is the example of the tobacco plant, which produces a self protective toxin. Some of us smoke and inhale this toxin and those that do believe it has some medicinal properties. As a result, the tobacco plant is hugely successful, but how should this relationship be viewed? Strangely, the relationship is between a high IQ animal and a dumb plant - 'fitness' is seriously stretched in this example.
Aedes

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:43 pm
@Bracewell,
Bracewell;108993 wrote:
All thru this thread, symbiotic and parasitic relationships seem to be ignored.
Then you haven't been reading the thread exhaustively enough. How about my discussion of the parasitic relationship between Plasmodium parasites (malaria) and humans? This is a relationship in which both parties have been in a genetic race for 10,000 to 100,000 years. How about the commensal (or perhaps neutral) relationship between viceroy and monarch butterflies? Also discussed here.

Bracewell;108993 wrote:
There is the example of the tobacco plant, which produces a self protective toxin. Some of us smoke and inhale this toxin and those that do believe it has some medicinal properties. As a result, the tobacco plant is hugely successful, but how should this relationship be viewed?
This should be viewed no differently than our relationship with rice, with wheat, with poodles, or with Butterball turkeys.
memester

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:24 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;109045 wrote:
Then you haven't been reading the thread exhaustively enough. How about my discussion of the parasitic relationship between Plasmodium parasites (malaria) and humans? This is a relationship in which both parties have been in a genetic race for 10,000 to 100,000 years. How about the commensal (or perhaps neutral) relationship between viceroy and monarch butterflies? Also discussed here.

This should be viewed no differently than our relationship with rice, with wheat, with poodles, or with Butterball turkeys.
Bollocks. If we look at the brainworm, or Toxoplasma gondii, we see the parasite taking control of host behaviour. that's a different relationship than we have with rice.
I can eat rice and yet am not forced to certain specified odd behaviours.
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:08 am
@richard mcnair,
Though the paddy farmer is.

But you're conflating two different threads of the conversation into one.
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:09 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109193 wrote:
Though the paddy farmer is.

But you're conflating two different threads of the conversation into one.
C'mon now Dave Allen.

The paddy farmer is not forced into ANY particular odd behaviours by eating rice. Perhaps it is not I, but you, who are confused...on both threads
Aedes

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:00 am
@memester,
memester;109107 wrote:
Bollocks. If we look at the brainworm, or Toxoplasma gondii, we see the parasite taking control of host behaviour. that's a different relationship than we have with rice.
I can eat rice and yet am not forced to certain specified odd behaviours.
Honestly memester, I've forgotten more about both of these pathogens and infections than you will ever know in your life. I've probably cared for at least a hundred patients with cerebral toxoplasmosis, and I've cared for not quite that many but a good number with neurocysticercosis (which is what I believe you mean by brainworm). I've also exhaustively read the literature about toxoplasma because it's a close relative of malaria.

And the fact of the matter is you're taking some elegant hypotheses WAY beyond where there is any evidence.

#1) In humans toxoplasma does not change behaviors. Primary toxoplasma is a mono-like illness, with fevers, big lymph nodes, sore throat. Cerebral toxoplasmosis presents as seizures, paralysis, delirium, headache, sometimes blindness.

Secondly, humans are not important hosts in the lifecycle of T. gondii. Wild animals, esp mice and cats, are FAR more important.

Finally, there is a HYPOTHESIS, which is not very strongly supported (though there was a recent paper about it), that cerebral toxo makes mice more docile and therefore more likely to be eaten by a cat. That is the ENTIRETY of this "changing behavior" nonsense of yours that you speak of as if it's established fact.

#2) Neurocysticercosis, which is a pork tapeworm (Taenia solium) infection of the brain, is a condition for which humans are an ACCIDENTAL host. In nature, the maintenance and fecundity of this tapeworm does not at all depend on humans.

Secondly, neurocysticercosis is NOT transmissible from infected humans unless something eats their brain. People can go decades with it without ever even becoming ill.

Thirdly, it very seldom has behavioral symptoms. By far the most frequent presentation is seizures.

Now I'll go along with you with ONE organism, and that is rabies virus. That's it. Bartonella may prove to be another, but that is difficult to prove.
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:12 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;109204 wrote:
Honestly memester, I've forgotten more about both of these pathogens and infections than you will ever know in your life. I've probably cared for at least a hundred patients with cerebral toxoplasmosis, and I've cared for not quite that many but a good number with neurocysticercosis (which is what I believe you mean by brainworm). I've also exhaustively read the literature about toxoplasma because it's a close relative of malaria.

And the fact of the matter is you're taking some elegant hypotheses WAY beyond where there is any evidence.

#1) In humans toxoplasma does not change behaviors. Primary toxoplasma is a mono-like illness, with fevers, big lymph nodes, sore throat. Cerebral toxoplasmosis presents as seizures, paralysis, delirium, headache, sometimes blindness.

Secondly, humans are not important hosts in the lifecycle of T. gondii. Wild animals, esp mice and cats, are FAR more important.

Finally, there is a HYPOTHESIS, which is not very strongly supported (though there was a recent paper about it), that cerebral toxo makes mice more docile and therefore more likely to be eaten by a cat. That is the ENTIRETY of this "changing behavior" nonsense of yours that you speak of as if it's established fact.

#2) Neurocysticercosis, which is a pork tapeworm (Taenia solium) infection of the brain, is a condition for which humans are an ACCIDENTAL host. In nature, the maintenance and fecundity of this tapeworm does not at all depend on humans.

Secondly, neurocysticercosis is NOT transmissible from infected humans unless something eats their brain. People can go decades with it without ever even becoming ill.

Thirdly, it very seldom has behavioral symptoms. By far the most frequent presentation is seizures.

Now I'll go along with you with ONE organism, and that is rabies virus. That's it. Bartonella may prove to be another, but that is difficult to prove.

Wow.
Let's look at what was said.

1/ I should fear tackling this. You know more than I ever will. I know nothing. You know tons.

2/ Toxoplasma gondii does not change behaviours in humans.

3/ Humans are not important hosts

Now lets look at what I replied to.
Quote:
Bracewell said:
All thru this thread, symbiotic and parasitic relationships seem to be ignored.
There is the example of the tobacco plant, which produces a self protective toxin. Some of us smoke and inhale this toxin and those that do believe it has some medicinal properties. As a result, the tobacco plant is hugely successful, but how should this relationship be viewed?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aedes

Somehow you feel entitled to now restrict it to whether humans are the important host, or are restricting conversation about parasite/host, to humans, period. Even so, tobacco causes addiction behaviours in humans.

A Fluke of Nature
[quote]

[/quote]
Quote:

1. It modifies the ant's nesting behavior, so that when the temperature drops (e.g., at night) it does not return to its nest as usual, but instead climbs to the top of a blade of grass or other vegetation, and fastens itself there with its mandibles. Thus exposed, this greatly increases the likelihood of the ants to be eaten by grazing cattle or sheep, and therefore the likelihood of the trematode infecting a primary host.
  2. The brainworm itself loses the ability to reproduce or infect the mammal host. Therefore, it is sacrificing itself for the benefit of the other cercariae in the infested ant. Carefully designed experiments show that always exactly one of the cercariae turns into a brainworm, even though all of them are capable of doing so.

0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:22 am
@memester,
memester;109197 wrote:
C'mon now Dave Allen.

The paddy farmer is not forced into ANY particular odd behaviours by eating rice.
The demand for rice has certainly forced odd behaviours on farmers.

But - as I said - you're confusing two different things. Aedes response to Bracewell isn't exactly about forced odd behaviour - but could be.
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:27 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109209 wrote:
The demand for rice has certainly forced odd behaviours on farmers.

But - as I said - you're confusing two different things. Aedes response to Bracewell isn't exactly about forced odd behaviour - but could be.
Demand for rice forces no behaviours from the farmer. He could grow fish on his paddy if he thought it a better bet.

I am not confused about the subject. Thank you , though, for caring enough to say it again.
0 Replies