Doesn't darwinian theory fall apart on ontological grounds?

paulhanke

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:46 pm
@memester,
memester;108132 wrote:
Are these reasonable assumptions to use in examination of mimicry ?

How about let's look at another scenario too. Let's say that 99% of bird which eat a Viceroy will not eat that "look" of butterfly again.
Of Queens, 1% of birds eating it will never eat that "look" of butterfly again. And to the final assumption: does 50/50 fit with mimicry theory better or worse than other ratios of mimic /mimicked ?

Av = the fraction of the population of predators that never attack a Viceroy in the first place due to co-mimicry
Dq = the fraction of predators that will never attack a butterfly that looks like a Queen once having eaten a Queen
Pq = the fraction of Queens in the combined population of Viceroys and Queens

In this simple model, Av = Pq * Dq ... if the population of Queens is non-zero and Queens are in any way distasteful to the predators, then Av will always be positive.

memester;108132 wrote:
That is assuming that predators cannot learn from others' experience. Or from parental presentation of acceptable foods. That's a big assumption.

... actually, if predators learn from the experience of others, then it benefits both species (that is, less than 100% of the predator population will ever attach a Viceroy or a Queen) ...

Pl = the fraction of predators that learn not to eat Viceroys and Queens from others

In this case, Av = Pl + (1-Pl)*Pq*Dq ... and for Pl > 0, this number is always greater than in the previous model.

memester;108132 wrote:
We CAN assume that first try of food is from parent's beak. And it is GOOD. Of course !

... well, yes - if a model didn't make assumptions, it wouldn't be a model, would it? Smile ...

memester;108132 wrote:
No, not shown at all. Even assuming those all those things which are not safe to assume.

... actually, I'm buying it so far ... and the fact that your first three objections missed the mark doesn't portend well for the rest ...

memester;108132 wrote:
And no, definitely DOES NOT explain "why it it is the way it is".

... sure it does - the "talent for mimicry" hypothesis explains the regional variation that is otherwise left unexplained Smile ...

EDIT: perhaps the confusion here revolves around hypotheses in general and their "truth status" ... any number of hypotheses could explain a fact, but that doesn't mean they're all right Smile

---------- Post added 12-04-2009 at 03:11 PM ----------

QuinticNon;108070 wrote:
An interesting read on Shannon. He was not concerned with meaning whatsoever. His contribution was calculating maximum throughput, and in the process, developed a calculation for the measurement of entropy. Not convinced it was the "basis" of his work, rather than a notable agent to address in effective communication.

... it is the basic statistical metric for measuring information that he introduces in his seminal paper, though - the more uncertain a random variable, the greater its entropy (and thus the more information associated with it); the less compressible a bit string (i.e., the more uncertainty in the string), the greater it entropy (and thus the more information it contains) ...

QuinticNon;108070 wrote:
We can't maximize information.

... you can if it is Shannon information - that's one of the reasons I think you should consider it inappropriate for your ontology ...

QuinticNon;108070 wrote:
An interesting read on Wiener too.

... that could be due to the fact that my knowledge of Wiener's use of negentropy in his theory of information is all second-hand - typically, it's presented as a more intuitive alternative to Shannon entropy/information ...

QuinticNon;108070 wrote:
Might you confuse a "truth" of nature with an "observance" of nature?

... would such a state of affairs require that there be no "truth" in nature (outside of human reflection)? ... or that the "truth" in nature is beyond human comprehension? ...
memester

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:35 pm
@paulhanke,
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by memester
And no, definitely DOES NOT explain "why it it is the way it is".
... sure it does - the "talent for mimicry" hypothesis explains the regional variation that is otherwise left unexplained Smile ...

EDIT: perhaps the confusion here revolves around hypotheses in general and their "truth status" ... any number of hypotheses could explain a fact, but that doesn't mean they're all right
It does NOT explain "why it is the way it is". You have neglected to search other - verifiable - explanations, and instead search for explanations supporting your preferred answers.

You say that variance is otherwise 'unexplained". Rubbish.

My possibly correct explanation - that species DO show variance, with populations showing variance from others, sometimes in clines, ( regardless of proposed mimicry or not) - is based on the scientific FACT.

You ignore consideration of that FACT as possible explanation, and proceed to fantasy

Clipper butterfly Parthenos sylvia and biological clines

BioOne Online Journals - Latitudinal Body Size Clines in the Butterfly Polyommatus icarus are Shaped by Gene-Environment Interactions

CSIRO PUBLISHING - Australian Journal of Zoology

and here is one including possible mimicry. You gave equations by which to determine if there is mimicry or not on behalf of the Viceroy. That is not science; is not even containing reasonable logic.
Estimates of Selection and Gene Flow from Measures of Cline Width and Linkage Disequilibrium in Heliconius Hybrid Zones

this speaks to Dave Allen's question about what is now hidden due to time passing

Heredity - Abstract of article: Hybrid zones of Heliconius butterflies in Panama and the stability and movement of warning colour clines
paulhanke

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:04 pm
@memester,
memester;108187 wrote:
It does NOT explain "why it is the way it is". You have neglected to search other - verifiable - explanations, and instead search for explanations supporting your preferred answers.

... again, we are talking about hypotheses here ... to say that a hypothesis explains something is not to say that the hypothesis is correct ... you can have many competing hypotheses the explain a given fact, and in reality none of them could be right ...

memester;108187 wrote:
My possibly correct explanation - that species DO show variance, with populations showing variance from others, sometimes in clines, ( regardless of proposed mimicry or not) - is based on the scientific FACT.

... but to say that clines exist is an observation that is in need of explanation, not an explanation Smile ... an explanation of a cline is more along the lines of the "talent for mimicry" hypothesis, or gene-environment interactions as observed in other species (as you cite) ... and in complex ecological networks, any given cline would be expected to have a multitude of causes, some strong, some weak, some so convoluted as to be practically impossible to tease apart into constituent causes ... I did not think it was necessary to qualify my excursion into modeling with this caveat, but perhaps I should have, as it appears that you may have been under the impression that I was arguing for a "one cline, one cause" situation ...

memester;108187 wrote:
You gave equations by which to determine if there is mimicry or not on behalf of the Viceroy. That is not science;

... in that I have no intention of going out and verifying any predictions made by this model, yes - this is not science, it is philosophy ...
memester

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108195 wrote:
... again, we are talking about hypotheses here ... to say that a hypothesis explains something is not to say that the hypothesis is correct ... you can have many competing hypotheses the explain a given fact, and in reality none of them could be right ...
I seeeeee..and this bit of enlightenment necessary for me because.... you have changed goalposts already on this issue more than once ?[edited too late, the reply post below was being written.]

I'm saying you have NOT SHOWN movement of Viceroy toward Queen appearance, and even if you had, both species may be affected by the same environmental conditions of light and vegetation, seasons, etc. tending to send both species in the same direction, in response to that environmental input. Or hybridizing.

Certainly NOTHING yet presented to offer you entitlement to make claims about the Viceroy.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
@memester,
memester;108196 wrote:
I seeeeee..and this bit of enlightenment necessary for me because.... you have changed goalposts already on this issue more than once, and I have not ?

... hell, I wasn't even aware that there were any goalposts! Smile ... as far as I'm concerned, I made an error in the selection of an example of mimicry (relying on theories about Viceroys and Monarchs I learned as a kid but which are now out of date) ... that error sent things veering off into co-mimicry and so on which I had no intention of discussing ... if I had my druthers, we'd have switched over to some other example of mimicry that has stood the test of time (if, indeed, there is one) and be discussing the philosophical implications of whether or not it counts as "deception" ...
memester

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:26 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108201 wrote:
... hell, I wasn't even aware that there were any goalposts! Smile ... as far as I'm concerned, I made an error in the selection of an example of mimicry (relying on theories about Viceroys and Monarchs I learned as a kid but which are now out of date) ... that error sent things veering off into co-mimicry and so on which I had no intention
Not having intentions "are funny things" Smile

...new claims were made about Viceroy, following your not having that intention.

Quote:
but to say that clines exist is an observation that is in need of explanation, not an explanation Smile
that's true, but my explanation was succint enough that you missed it when I stated it correctly: such variances observed, are "the usual", mimicry or no mimicry.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:46 pm
@memester,
memester;108204 wrote:
Not having intentions "are funny things" Smile

...new claims were made about Viceroy, following your not having that intention.

... here's the "talent for mimicry" hypothesis as it was originally posted:

Quote:
... here's the "talent for mimicry" hypothesis: that all three species are unpalatable argues for co-mimicry ... in the regions that have been studied, there is a close resemblance between the Viceroy in that region and locally dominant Monarch/Queen ... the resemblance appears to be due to variations in the coloration of the Viceroy ... thus, the hypothesis is that the Viceroy may be genetically more variable with respect to coloration than either the Monarch and the Queen and thus in the process of co-mimicry has moved further toward the locally dominant Monarch/Queen than either has moved toward the Viceroy ... that the Viceroy resembles the dominant Monarch in one region and resembles the dominant Queen in the other but it is not claimed that the Monarch resembles the dominant Queen in the second region (nor vice versa) is consistent with this hypothesis ... one test that could be used to quickly (relatively speaking) falsify this hypothesis would be to perform a study on regional variation across the Viceroy, Monarch, and Queen - if the regional variation of the Viceroy is greater than that of the Monarch/Queen, this would be consistent with the hypothesis; if not, the hypothesis is falsified.

... where's the claim? - all I see is rough speculation that is consistent with a handful of facts ... I have echoed your characterization of it as a bed time story ... I have stated clearly that the facts I have at hand are so thin as to give no real reason for accepting this hypothesis over any other ... I constructed a model when challenged as to why I thought mimicry could be a possibility rather than fantasy merely to show that it was a reasonable hypothesis, but never claimed it was anything but a hypothesis ... so where's the claim?
memester

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:50 pm
@paulhanke,
I hope that I do not have to sift through everything. Perhaps this will suffice to establish that claim 1. was made in "no uncertain" terms.

Claim 1
Quote:
another is your truth/deception dichotomy ... in nature, the Viceroy butterfly has evolved a color scheme that is imitative of the Monarch butterfly ... in such a way, Viceroy butterflies deceive predators - this is a truth of nature, untainted by humans ... but is that a paradox for an ontology that treats truth and deception as polar opposites? ...
paulhanke

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:58 pm
@memester,
memester;108207 wrote:
I hope that I do not have to sift through everything. Perhaps this will suffice to establish that claim 1. was made in "no uncertain" terms.

Claim 1

... that was the use of what I thought at the time to be an established scientific theory about Viceroys and Monarchs ... that, of course, turned out not to be the case - the case being that science has since corrected itself with respect to Viceroys and Monarchs ... if I have not officially acknowledged my mistake, I do so now ... can we get on to talking about False Cobras now? Smile ...
memester

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:03 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108211 wrote:
... that was the use of what I thought at the time to be an established scientific theory about Viceroys and Monarchs ... that, of course, turned out not to be the case - the case being that science has since corrected itself with respect to Viceroys and Monarchs ... if I have not officially acknowledged my mistake, I do so now ... can we get on to talking about False Cobras now? Smile ...
Indeed ! I was envisioning showing a cline from "claiming" to "denying claiming" over the pages, with possible mimicry Laughing

go ahead.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@memester,
memester;108213 wrote:
Indeed ! I was envisioning showing a cline from "claiming" to "denying claiming" over the pages, with possible mimicry

... careful - it's a pretty steep cline Smile ... from the post that immediately follows the one you quoted:

Quote:
... but you're right - this is indeed speculation ...
memester

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108219 wrote:
... careful - it's a pretty steep cline Smile ... from the post that immediately follows the one you quoted:
Mount Improbable clines are never flat slopes. They go up and down, seesaw, etc. Smaller peaks and valleys along the way. You have to admit, don't you, that Claim 1 has to be about the "summit" of all claims ? Nowhere to go but down, from there.

Anyway, I'm happy to move on to whatever you do intend to show.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:23 pm
@memester,
memester;108220 wrote:
You have to admit, don't you, that Claim 1 has to be about the "summit" of all claims ? Nowhere to go but down, from there.

... that I do - I'm normally more careful than that Smile ...
memester

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:02 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;108224 wrote:
... that I do - I'm normally more careful than that Smile ...

and you do offer a good discussion.
memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:46 am
@memester,
So to conclude, we can see, if we care to look, that as Darwin knew, Evolution is all about Behaviour.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 03:49 am
@richard mcnair,
but what about ontology? What about the nature of human beings, as distinct from butterflies? I know the answer that almost everyone on this forum will now offer, when asked how we came to be: We evolved.

And I suppose that is enough of an answer for most people. But for me, there are many questions it doesn't answer.
memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 04:40 am
@jeeprs,
like what ? Everything you mention, is explained by "we evolved like this because of our behaviour".
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:19 am
@richard mcnair,
I don't want to start the whole debate again really. There is already a thread elsewhere on the myth of the eternal recurrence. I am just having trouble making the link between insect species and ontology, that is all. Perhaps you could volunteer how it is that 'evolution on account of our behaviour' has some bearing upon the questions of philosophy. There might be some obvious link that I am missing because of my background.
memester

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:23 am
@jeeprs,
Well, quickly said : the situation regarding claims of science on "the way it is" on Butterfly is now surely and justifiably turned to denial that those kinds of claims can be made at this time.
Those kinds of Bed-time Stories are not believable now.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:30 am
@richard mcnair,
One of my favourite cartoons is of a man pursuing his head across a meadow, with a buttefly net. (I would post it, but we can't post pics any more.)

Anyway, at this point, this thread reminds me of that cartoon.

A recap from my point of view: OP raised the question, how does Darwinian theory account for the 'facts of being' from the human viewpiont? Isn't it trying to usurp the place of traditional philosophy in this respect? Various discussions of science vs religion, purpose vs no-purpose, whether nature is intentional or everything happens by accident etc. Interesting but rather technical discussion on the implications of mimicry.

So perhaps a brief recap of what you think the implication of the latter part of the discussion on the question Darwinian theory as a 'philosophy of existence'.