electronic voting...potential for abuse

PDiddie

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:01 am
fishin' wrote:
They may very well be consistent with the exsistence of tampering but they aren't proof of tampering. From the very WWW site you pointed to:

"CAVEAT: It is important to note that the research into this subject has not established that the files we have been working on were in fact in situ in County Election Supervisors offices at the last election - nor have we proof that the back door we have discovered - which might enable the rigging of elections - was actually used in any recent election."

What they've come up with IS interesting but no where near any level of proof.

"Evidence of tampering but not proof of tampering." OOOOOOOkay. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:07 am
It's an important distinction. There is such thing as evidence for a false claim.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:15 am
nimh wrote:
PDiddie, in your post repeated below, there is an odd division into two sections.

First, you mention very localised and concrete anomalies - in Scurry and Comal Counties. That seems plausible - that with this or that computer, in this or that county, something went wrong.

But then you suddenly switch to state-wide level: Cleland's loss in Georgia. Of course, saying voting machines had a hand in that electoral upset implies a little more than some local computer's mishap: achieving that would have required quite a nifty, large-scale fraud, I think.

Well, I suppose I'll have to provide more evidence (even though it perhaps won't be considered 'proof' to some). The following is from Andrew Gumbel's "All the President's Votes?" which appeared in the UK newspaper The Independent on 10/14/03 (apologies for the length; no link left to provide):

Quote:
Something very odd happened in the mid-term elections in Georgia last November. On the eve of the vote, opinion polls showed Roy Barnes, the incumbent Democratic governor, leading by between nine and 11 points. In a somewhat closer, keenly watched Senate race, polls indicated that Max Cleland, the popular Democrat up for re-election, was ahead by two to five points against his Republican challenger, Saxby Chambliss.

Those figures were more or less what political experts would have expected in state with a long tradition of electing Democrats to statewide office. But then the results came in, and all of Georgia appeared to have been turned upside down. Barnes lost the governorship to the Republican, Sonny Perdue, 46 per cent to 51 per cent, a swing of as much as 16 percentage points from the last opinion polls. Cleland lost to Chambliss 46 per cent to 53, a last-minute swing of 9 to 12 points.

Red-faced opinion pollsters suddenly had a lot of explaining to do and launched internal investigations. Political analysts credited the upset -- part of a pattern of Republican successes around the country -- to a huge campaigning push by President Bush in the final days of the race. They also said that Roy Barnes had lost because of a surge of "angry white men" punishing him for eradicating all but a vestige of the old confederate symbol from the state flag.

But something about these explanations did not make sense, and they have made even less sense over time. When the Georgia secretary of state's office published its demographic breakdown of the election earlier this year, it turned out there was no surge of angry white men; in fact, the only subgroup showing even a modest increase in turnout was black women.

There were also big, puzzling swings in partisan loyalties in different parts of the state. In 58 counties, the vote was broadly in line with the primary election. In 27 counties in Republican-dominated north Georgia, however, Max Cleland unaccountably scored 14 percentage points higher than he had in the primaries. And in 74 counties in the Democrat south, Saxby Chambliss garnered a whopping 22 points more for the Republicans than the party as a whole had won less than three months earlier.

Now, weird things like this do occasionally occur in elections, and the figures, on their own, are not proof of anything except statistical anomalies worthy of further study. But in Georgia there was an extra reason to be suspicious. Last November, the state became the first in the country to conduct an election entirely with touchscreen voting machines, after lavishing $54m (£33m) on a new system that promised to deliver the securest, most up-to-date, most voter-friendly election in the history of the republic. The machines, however, turned out to be anything but reliable. With academic studies showing the Georgia touchscreens to be poorly programmed, full of security holes and prone to tampering, and with thousands of similar machines from different companies being introduced at high speed across the country, computer voting may, in fact, be US democracy's own 21st-century nightmare.

In many Georgia counties last November, the machines froze up, causing long delays as technicians tried to reboot them. In heavily Democratic Fulton County, in downtown Atlanta, 67 memory cards from the voting machines went missing, delaying certification of the results there for 10 days. In neighbouring DeKalb County, 10 memory cards were unaccounted for; they were later recovered from terminals that had supposedly broken down and been taken out of service.

It is still unclear exactly how results from these missing cards were tabulated, or if they were counted at all. And we will probably never know, for a highly disturbing reason. The vote count was not conducted by state elections officials, but by the private company that sold Georgia the voting machines in the first place, under a strict trade-secrecy contract that made it not only difficult but actually illegal -- on pain of stiff criminal penalties -- for the state to touch the equipment or examine the proprietary software to ensure the machines worked properly. There was not even a paper trail to follow up. The machines were fitted with thermal printing devices that could theoretically provide a written record of voters' choices, but these were not activated. Consequently, recounts were impossible. Had Diebold Inc, the manufacturer, been asked to review the votes, all it could have done was programme the computers to spit out the same data as before, flawed or not.

Astonishingly, these are the terms under which America's top three computer voting machine manufacturers - Diebold, Sequoia and Election Systems and Software (ES&S) - have sold their products to election officials around the country. Far from questioning the need for rigid trade secrecy and the absence of a paper record, secretaries of state and their technical advisers - anxious to banish memories of the hanging chad fiasco and other associated disasters in the 2000 presidential recount in Florida - have, for the most part, welcomed the touchscreen voting machines as a technological miracle solution.

Georgia was not the only state last November to see big last-minute swings in voting patterns. There were others in Colorado, Minnesota, Illinois and New Hampshire - all in races that had been flagged as key partisan battlegrounds, and all won by the Republican Party. Again, this was widely attributed to the campaigning efforts of President Bush and the demoralisation of a Democratic Party too timid to speak out against the looming war in Iraq.

Strangely, however, the pollsters made no comparable howlers in lower-key races whose outcome was not seriously contested. Another anomaly, perhaps. What, then, is one to make of the fact that the owners of the three major computer voting machines are all prominent Republican Party donors? Or of a recent political fund-raising letter written to Ohio Republicans by Walden O'Dell, Diebold's chief executive, in which he said he was "committed to helping Ohio to deliver its electoral votes to the president next year" - even as his company was bidding for the contract on the state's new voting machinery?

Alarmed and suspicious, a group of Georgia citizens began to look into last November's election to see whether there was any chance the results might have been deliberately or accidentally manipulated. Their research proved unexpectedly, and disturbingly, fruitful.

First, they wanted to know if the software had undergone adequate checking. Under state and federal law, all voting machinery and component parts must be certified before use in an election. So an Atlanta graphic designer called Denis Wright wrote to the secretary of state's office for a copy of the certification letter. Clifford Tatum, assistant director of legal affairs for the election division, wrote back: "We have determined that no records exist in the Secretary of State's office regarding a certification letter from the lab certifying the version of software used on Election Day." Mr Tatum said it was possible the relevant documents were with Gary Powell, an official at the Georgia Technology Authority, so campaigners wrote to him as well. Mr Powell responded he was "not sure what you mean by the words 'please provide written certification documents' ".

"If the machines were not certified, then right there the election was illegal," Mr Wright says. The secretary of state's office has yet to demonstrate anything to the contrary. The investigating citizens then considered the nature of the software itself. Shortly after the election, a Diebold technician called Rob Behler came forward and reported that, when the machines were about to be shipped to Georgia polling stations in the summer of 2002, they performed so erratically that their software had to be amended with a last-minute "patch". Instead of being transmitted via disk - a potentially time-consuming process, especially since its author was in Canada, not Georgia - the patch was posted, along with the entire election software package, on an open-access FTP, or file transfer protocol site, on the internet.

That, according to computer experts, was a violation of the most basic of security precautions, opening all sorts of possibilities for the introduction of rogue or malicious code. At the same time, however, it gave campaigners a golden opportunity to circumvent Diebold's own secrecy demands and see exactly how the system worked. Roxanne Jekot, a computer programmer with 20 years' experience, and an occasional teacher at Lanier Technical College northeast of Atlanta, did a line-by-line review and found "enough to stand your hair on end".

"There were security holes all over it," she says, "from the most basic display of the ballot on the screen all the way through the operating system." Although the programme was designed to be run on the Windows 2000 NT operating system, which has numerous safeguards to keep out intruders, Ms Jekot found it worked just fine on the much less secure Windows 98; the 2000 NT security features were, as she put it, "nullified".

Also embedded in the software were the comments of the programmers working on it. One described what he and his colleagues had just done as "a gross hack". Elsewhere was the remark: "This doesn't really work." "Not a confidence builder, would you say?" Ms Jekot says. "They were operating in panic mode, cobbling together something that would work for the moment, knowing that at some point they would have to go back to figure out how to make it work more permanently." She found some of the code downright suspect - for example, an overtly meaningless instruction to divide the number of write-in votes by 1. "From a logical standpoint there is absolutely no reason to do that," she says. "It raises an immediate red flag."

Mostly, though, she was struck by the shoddiness of much of the programming. "I really expected to have some difficulty reviewing the source code because it would be at a higher level than I am accustomed to," she says. "In fact, a lot of this stuff looked like the homework my first-year students might have turned in." Diebold had no specific comment on Ms Jekot's interpretations, offering only a blanket caution about the complexity of election systems "often not well understood by individuals with little real-world experience".

Evidence of tampering or proof of tampering?

I suppose you get to choose.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:17 am
Now, I must go to work earning a living for my company, so I won't be back today to respond ( but don't think I'm ignoring you). :wink:
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:28 am
PDiddie wrote:
Evidence of tampering or proof of tampering?

I suppose you get to choose.

Evidence of crappy code perhaps. Let us know when you find some documentation of proof that someone actually manipulated an election's results.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:36 am
Oy. Alarming stuff.

I'm still not sold on the fraud claim - and I think the resistance such a claim will instantly provoke actually harms the impact of the alarm articles like this would be sounding - but wholly apart from that there's enough in there to get seriously worried about. The shoddy code, evidenced by the programmers' own comments. The oh-what-the-hell lack of security safeguards. The dismissive reaction of Diebold to the criticism (in the last line).

But, to just go right to the bottom line -

[quoteThe vote count was not conducted by state elections officials, but by the private company that sold Georgia the voting machines in the first place, under a strict trade-secrecy contract[/quote]

who on earth in a democracy comes up with the idea to have a private company count the votes?

Only in America ... <sighs>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:46 am
I'm not sold on the fraud bit because of the sheer weirdness of the deviations. I mean -

Quote:
There were also big, puzzling swings in partisan loyalties in different parts of the state. [..] In 27 counties in Republican-dominated north Georgia, [..] Max Cleland unaccountably scored 14 percentage points higher than he had in the primaries. And in 74 counties in the Democrat south, Saxby Chambliss garnered a whopping 22 points more for the Republicans than the party as a whole had won less than three months earlier.

If fraud was the game, why the strange mix of deviations? Why not just give Chambliss the edge, period? Because that would look too suspicious, you say, there had to be an advantage to Cleland somewhere too, to avoid suspicion? But then why give him an extra advantage where it would be least expected, and thus look strangest? Why give the Republican his extra advantage exactly where it would look strangest? Why tamper with the machines from districts that are strongly Democratic, and where residents would thus be most likely to get suspicious and go research it?

None of that makes sense from a conspirationist's perspective. It looks simply random - like something that went wrong through sheer stupidity, incompetence and arrogance, rather than actual fraud. If there was a sophisticated fraud and cover-up going on, wouldnt they be more likely to have tightly sealed the kind of security breaches the activists discovered, would the activists have come across such self-deprecatory comments of the programmers?

No, fraud still sounds unlikely. But by Jove, your article makes a good case on an extent of stupidity, incompetence and arrogance that should in itself scare the pants off a democratic civil society.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:03 pm
Whether it's incompetence or fraud, I've felt all along that our next elections should be monitored by an independent, international group, much as (for example) President Carter is part of a group which monitors elections in other countries. It would drive many on the right crazy, but it would also be welcomed by many.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:07 pm
nimh wrote:
who on earth in a democracy comes up with the idea to have a private company count the votes?

Only in America ... <sighs>

This is what kills me on this whole issue of electronic voting. People piss and moan about the machines being built by one company or another and problems with the software, etc...

Why the hell aren't government agencies contracting to have software written where the government owns all of the rights to the code? Why are these incompetent boobs allowing the systems makers to get away with selling them software without government employees reviewing and certifying the code?

It seems that those responsible for spending taxpayer $$ have forgotten how to write a government contract.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:30 pm
Good points, Nimh and Fishin'. I suspect that if you pursued the answer to that, you'd see at least the glimmerings of fraud in the governmental fog...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:33 am
Let's revive the topic (if, for no other reason, than to enjoy more of fishin's lovely sneering) with Paul Krugman's "Hack the Vote":

Quote:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
How is it that you can consider the right's dissent to your opinions to be "sneering"? Is not calling them "true believers" and all the other appelations the same?

I'm inclined to agree that the righties look down their nose at some of the left's opinions here but as a lefty I look down my nose at theirs and heck, most lefties here "sneer" at the "neo-con" opinion. We think it's "wrong".

It's called a difference of opinion, both sides share the low opinion of the other side's conclusions. If they can't sneer at our opinions we'd have to stop sneering at theirs. And frankly given their opinions I'd hate to start having to stop giving them the consideration that I feel they are due.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:25 am
I didn't say 'the right' was sneering.

I said fishin' was sneering.

It's not like you to jump to erroneous conclusions, Craven.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:36 am
I did not "conclude" that you mean "the right" when you said "fishin'".

I am commenting on your tendency to select out the right's "sneering" and such while doing the same to them.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:36 am
Y'know, the issue of vote tampering is being wrongly cast (in my opinion) as a right vs left issue. I would venture that is is in fact something both sides are equally likely to indulge in, and therefore should be scrutinized evn more closely than if it were merely a partisan issue.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:42 am
Ah. Craven again. Always such a pleasure.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:44 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I did not "conclude" that you mean "the right" when you said "fishin'".

Then how come you never mentioned fishin' until now?

Craven wrote:
I am commenting on your tendency to select out the right's "sneering" and such while doing the same to them.

Water's wet; sun rises in the east; people in here sneer.

So what? :wink:

(How about a comment on the topic?)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:44 am
There ya go Tartarin, nice sneer. ;-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:46 am
PDiddie wrote:

Water's wet; sun rises in the east; people in here sneer.

So what? :wink:

That was my point, both sides don't have a lofty opinion of the other's opinions.

Quote:

(How about a comment on the topic?)

Come on, you can't have it both ways. My comments were as "on topic" as yours about fishin'.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:49 am
How about a comment on Krugman's column above, Craven?
0 Replies