Heathcare sucks in America.

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 03:01 pm
Healthcare in America sucks.

If you ever own your private business, you have to pay this ridiculous amount of green to be insured. I say a substantial part of your worry is in paying that 3000 dollars per month fee.

Let say that are you employed by some company. In that case, you might actually have decent care, but just hope you will never be unemployed, because if you do, you are going to lose your insurence, and get crewed in the ass.

Even if you have insurence, you are still going to have to pay for certain things. For example, if you are thinking of taking x-ray, then don` t. You are still going to pay 1000 bucks for a single picture. It can easily go up to > 10,000 in a single visit. Even with insurence, Surgery would still cost >50,000.

I serious think there is something wrong with people say ing they like the present situation. They must have something wrong in up their head. I am not rich, and i am not smart, but paying 1,000 for a single visit to the doctors is too much for my blood.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,514 • Replies: 21
No top replies

richrf

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 03:32 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;86338 wrote:
but paying 1,000 for a single visit to the doctors is too much for my blood.

Well, I would definitely agree that it is out of control. But I cannot say how to begin to cover the health care costs of a population which does so little to take care of itself. It will be interesting to watch how this how thing evolves.

Rich
vectorcube

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 04:55 pm
@richrf,
richrf;86344 wrote:
Well, I would definitely agree that it is out of control. But I cannot say how to begin to cover the health care costs of a population which does so little to take care of itself. It will be interesting to watch how this how thing evolves.

Rich

Nationalized healthcare is pretty common in all parts of the world. Unless all these people are some how more responsible than regular Americans, then there is no reason why Americans care less about their health than the rest of the world.
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 05:02 pm
@vectorcube,
I don't see any conclusion to reach other than it is all some vast government conspiracy to kill off all of the poor people so we can have a nice world full of only happy and healthy wealthy people.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 08:07 pm
@richrf,
richrf;86344 wrote:
But I cannot say how to begin to cover the health care costs of a population which does so little to take care of itself.
Well, they manage in Europe, which has higher rates of smoking and alcoholism and nontrivial rates of obesity.

File:Alcohol by Country.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Male Smoking by Country.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Female Smoking by Country.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:22 pm
@vectorcube,
Here is the thing. Do you really think that the over all pricing of medical treatments is going to somehow lower with this new health care plan? If that were the case then you would see medical practitioners and hospitals crying and complaining, but you don't see them doing this, why? Because they know that once this health care system goes through, that they can charge EVEN MORE for medical treatments.

But I get yelled at all the time saying that won't happen. But any time the government steps in and says that it will pay for it, what happens? The price of the goods or services goes up. Why? Because if you are not paying for it from YOUR pocket, they know that the government WILL pay any amount so they charge more. Look at any government run job. They are often running three times more in bids than in private companies?

People don't seem to care, why? Because it is not coming directly out of their pocket? But it is. You think that the medical pay comes out of thin air? NO, it comes out of tax payers. You really think businesses are going to freely pay for medical care? NO, they are going to pass their payments onto their employees. You might not see it actually appear on your pay check but they will reduce how much they pay you. They wont actually tell you they are paying you less, they just wont give you your next raise.

This will happen until they can account for how much the goverment requires that they pay. So small companies will have to pay even larger taxes to the government and they will ultimately have to pass those costs onto consumers. Higher prices for goods and services. SO EVERYTHING COSTS MORE and you make LESS ON YOUR PAY CHECKS.

So now we go back to complaining about a thousand dollar medical visit? Well I bet now you probably paid the equivalent of two thousand dollars instead. It's just you didn't actually see where they were taking the money from, but they did. This is why you don't see any doctors or hospitals complaining, because ultimately they will make MORE MONEY on this new medical bill.

This is why you hear people saying they like the way things are now better than this new system. Why? Because in reality you WILL pay more than you currently do. It just won't be you signing a check, but instead it will be with you receiving less ON your check.
vectorcube

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:40 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;86451 wrote:
Here is the thing. Do you really think that the over all pricing of medical treatments is going to somehow lower with this new health care plan? If that were the case then you would see medical practitioners and hospitals crying and complaining, but you don't see them doing this, why? Because they know that once this health care system goes through, that they can charge EVEN MORE for medical treatments.

But I get yelled at all the time saying that won't happen. But any time the government steps in and says that it will pay for it, what happens? The price of the goods or services goes up. Why? Because if you are not paying for it from YOUR pocket, they know that the government WILL pay any amount so they charge more. Look at any government run job. They are often running three times more in bids than in private companies?

People don't seem to care, why? Because it is not coming directly out of their pocket? But it is. You think that the medical pay comes out of thin air? NO, it comes out of tax payers. You really think businesses are going to freely pay for medical care? NO, they are going to pass their payments onto their employees. You might not see it actually appear on your pay check but they will reduce how much they pay you. They wont actually tell you they are paying you less, they just wont give you your next raise.

This will happen until they can account for how much the goverment requires that they pay. So small companies will have to pay even larger taxes to the government and they will ultimately have to pass those costs onto consumers. Higher prices for goods and services. SO EVERYTHING COSTS MORE and you make LESS ON YOUR PAY CHECKS.

So now we go back to complaining about a thousand dollar medical visit? Well I bet now you probably paid the equivalent of two thousand dollars instead. It's just you didn't actually see where they were taking the money from, but they did. This is why you don't see any doctors or hospitals complaining, because ultimately they will make MORE MONEY on this new medical bill.

This is why you hear people saying they like the way things are now better than this new system. Why? Because in reality you WILL pay more than you currently do. It just won't be you signing a check, but instead it will be with you receiving less ON your check.

This is utterly misguided in my opinion. Surely, this new plan is going to cost more, and that means higher taxes for everyone, but so what? I freaking don` t want to life in a **** hole of a country that denies medicare for people that are too poor to pay their medical cost. What do you say to these poor people? **** them because they are poor? **** the current system, and **** the damn insurence companies.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:21 am
@vectorcube,
Quote:
This is utterly misguided in my opinion. Surely, this new plan is going to cost more, and that means higher taxes for everyone, but so what?

Then why the hell were you *****in' about price in your initial post for this thread if you don't care about cost?

If you don't want the country to become gehetto, then don't support this health care system. Because it is not going to be a pretty sight. It will be riddled with over consumption and low quality care. Mean while the rest of the country will be even more poor because of lower wages and raising prices of goods and other services to pay for this system. The country won't be any better off, it will just mean a drastic drop in the standard of living for everyone.

You'll get your chance to see just how misguided I am. I'll see you on the other side when you are saying, "No one could have known how bad it would be."
vectorcube

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:29 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;86496 wrote:
Then why the hell were you *****in' about price in your initial post for this thread if you don't care about cost?

"

Because i do care about cost. why so angry, dude? Must have something in your ass, yes?

Have you ever pay your medical bills? Where do you live by the way? Maybe you live in a hole somewhere where you don ` t have to pay 50,000 for a single surgery. Now, I advice you to actually get out of your little hole, because you don` t live in the same world as me. My bet is that you never even travel outside the U.S, or perhaps, you are so poor that you are on welfare, and life is good.

Quote:
If you don't want the country to become gehetto, then don't support this health care system. Because it is not going to be a pretty sight. It will be riddled with over consumption and low quality care. Mean while the rest of the country will be even more poor because of lower wages and raising prices of goods and other services to pay for this system. The country won't be any better off, it will just mean a drastic drop in the standard of living for everyone.

Is this some sort of threat over the internet? If so, then i can` t hear you.

First of all, i highly doubt the U.S is going to go "gehetto"( whatever the hell this means). Most countries in western europe, and Asia that do have nationalized healthcare don ` t seem "gehetto" to me. Funny, yes?

Quote:

You'll get your chance to see just how misguided I am. I'll see you on the other side when you are saying, "No one could have known how bad it would be.

o... I feel so sad for you now. Are you mad because i call you misguided? Are you crying now? :listening:

My gut feeling is that you never pay for your own medical cost before. Am i right? Let me just tell you one thing. You better "hope" nothing happens to your health, because you are going to spend ever last dime of yours to fix yourself. I guess that is one thing that is good with the present system. If you are on welfare, then just ignore my comment.
Elmud

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:00 am
@vectorcube,
I for one am amazed at the emotions this issue is raising. Must be a money thing as usual.
vectorcube

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:17 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;86539 wrote:
I for one am amazed at the emotions this issue is raising. Must be a money thing as usual.

What makes me angry is the moral issue. I don` t like seeing people being turned down a medical service, because they don` t have the money to pay their expensive medical cost. I am really surprise by the people here. It is as if you people never ever pay your medical bills.

I see this as a moral issue. Universal healthcare is a basic human right. I honestly don` t give a damn about the economy if the U.S cannot assured this right. Anyone that disagree is a god damn A-hole that only cares for themselves. It is a basic moral principle that we ought to care for the people around us. I care enough to pay more tax, and these fuckers only care for themselves. It is emotional for me because i am not an A-hole. It is a matter of social justice.
Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:53 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;86542 wrote:
What makes me angry is the moral issue. I don` t like seeing people being turned down a medical service, because they don` t have the money to pay their expensive medical cost. I am really surprise by the people here. It is as if you people never ever pay your medical bills.
I've only been a practicing physician for a little over 9 years, so I'm not very experienced compared with others who have posted in this thread, but I've never ever heard of a patient being turned down for a medically necessary service because of inability to pay bills. I'm rounding this week on the general inpatient medical service at a major university hospital, and around 2/3 of my patients are uninsured, one is homeless, and one is an undocumented immigrant. The hospital's endowment eats the cost of their care -- but they still get it.

---------- Post added 08-29-2009 at 11:03 PM ----------

Krumple;86451 wrote:
Here is the thing. Do you really think that the over all pricing of medical treatments is going to somehow lower with this new health care plan?
It might if they can really actualize comparative effectiveness research and quality improvement / assurance programs, and it certainly will if they can attract more people to go into primary care -- though they ain't ever going to attract me to go into it, it's not my cup of tea.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:51 pm
@vectorcube,
Quote:
Because i do care about cost. why so angry, dude? Must have something in your ass, yes?

What gave you the impression I was angry? It sensored me when I asked why are you Bit-ching.

Quote:
Now, I advice you to actually get out of your little hole, because you don` t live in the same world as me. My bet is that you never even travel outside the U.S, or perhaps, you are so poor that you are on welfare, and life is good.

You couldn't be more incorrect, sorry. How did you come to this conclusion? I am in the medical industry and have been for about ten years now. But if you want to keep telling yourself that I don't know what I am talking about, I guess that is just the way to make yourself feel better about the discussion.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 10:33 pm
@vectorcube,
Rhetoric and personal jabs need to stop here guys - continue your discussion; albeit with a bit more courtesy towards the individuals you're addressing.

Thanks
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 02:03 pm
@vectorcube,
Your chances of surviving cancer or many other rare diseases are higher in the US than in any other country. The quality of care for those with insurance or the ability to pay is unparalleled. The US leads the world in biomedical research and medical technology advances. The problem in the US is access and distribution not quality of care. Be very careful how you solve the access and distribution problem, it is neither simple nor easy.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 07:01 pm
@vectorcube,
Exactly right.

There are grievous health disparities in the United States. I'd bet money on the fact that people with adequate health coverage have longevity and child mortality statistics that are comparable to the best countries in the world. But there is a very large poor population in the United States, and our overall lower numbers reflect how badly we're serving them.
0 Replies

Serena phil

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 07:27 pm
@vectorcube,
Total rejection of an emergency does not usually happen to those without insurance or even without citizenship. Payment plans and other programs have been established for those with little to no income. The care may be mediocre, but it is better than nothing. But it probably would not be good for the country for everyone to switch to mediocre care, many people from countries with nationalized health care have agreed that this is the best system for further research. I agree that the insurance may be difficult to obtain, but it is worth it once you have it.
Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 07:30 pm
@Serena phil,
Serena;87013 wrote:
Total rejection of an emergency does not usually happen to those without insurance or even without citizenship.
It cannot happen -- it's illegal.

Serena;87013 wrote:
The care may be mediocre, but it is better than nothing.
It's state of the art. I've seen uninsured patients get organ transplants, chemotherapy, coronary artery bypass grafts, MRIs, and the list goes on.

Poor people get GREAT inpatient disease management, because it's the hospital eating the bill. They get terrible preventative care, not because the care itself is bad but because their access to it is limited and the waiting times are long.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:58 pm
@vectorcube,
Yes. Preventative care is the key. I have definite moral reservations against forcing one person to pay for anothers health care, but I also believe that the marginal costs of preventative care is far less than the marginal costs of the inpatient care that we now see. If we were rational, we would provide universal preventative care anyways.

The major problems I would see with this is a general disregard for preventative care in the lower income groups in the first place, the immense and cost ineffective bureaucracy this would create, and the general level of dissatisfaction with a system simply because it would be so impersonal.

This is another one of those things that I am quite certain natural human values and cost effectiveness would lead a free market to solve at community levels, yet we will never see anything of that nature because government and big business are too busy giving each other reach arounds.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:16 pm
@vectorcube,
There is quite an overhead to running a medical practice, and Medicaid reimburses so poorly that many practices could not operate if they accepted Medicaid or self-pay patients. This restricts primary care options for poor patients to a few public clinics or teaching clinics. In addition to all the other social obstacles they face, they also don't have easy access to seeing an outpatient doctor at all.

Hospitals on the other hand are obligated to take all comers, because emergency and inpatient care cannot be denied.
0 Replies