The Most Savagely Depressing Commentary On US You Have Seen

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 03:38 pm
As for cartoons:

Spongebob, just for the theme song
Mucha Lucha
Justice League
X-Men: Evolution
Batman Beyond (but it's not on here anymore)
Samurai Jack (best ever)
Powerpuff Girls
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 03:39 pm
So I'm sure our Prez is watching Masterpiece Theater?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 03:42 pm
I forgot Monk, and Carnivale.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:02 pm
Everyone's been telling me about Monk. . . I've never seen it, though. . .

(and this is a secret, but I like CSI Miami better than the original. . . don't shoot!)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:06 pm
Monk is great, catch it if you can, and I won't shoot if you prefer CSI: Miami. My problem with that show is the writing. David Caruso constantly seems to be Mr. 'state the obvious' rather than the clever Grisham in the original.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:09 pm
That IS true. . . and this season, he's very fond of the "I'm going to say this provocative and harrassing thing to you in this raspy voice and that's my acting for the day". . .

Las Vegas is growing on me, however :-) Last two weeks have been more the "get the bad guy". I always feel so vindicated when the credits roll :-)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:21 pm
Rolling Eyes Ah, then it's true. I am the last person in the USA who has not watched Sponge Bob. I hadn't HEARD of it till a month ago. Am I reading the wrong sections of the paper and watching at the wrong hours?
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:23 pm
Hmm. . . well. . . he's a sponge. . . he lives in a pineapple under the sea. . . absorbant and yellow and porous is he.

Frankly, it can be funny, but I don't think you're missing out on TOO much :-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:28 pm
I love Vincent Dinofrio in Law and Order: CI, but it does seem that he just knows TOO much these days...it's almost getting comical.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:50 pm
We love NOVA, PBS news. We tend to forget to watch something even when we say we definitely want to watch it. Old age and bad memories. We watch Chris Matthews and sometimes CSI, but it is really gory! Simpsons sometimes.

An example of how bad we are is that sometimes we even forget to watch a movie we rented.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 05:00 pm
That's nothing, Diane. . . my mother has bought "A Civil Action" three times and rented it twice as many because she keeps claiming she never saw it. . .

And we took her to see it on her birthday.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 05:11 pm
Who plays the role of Sponge Bob? A well known actor? It's not Jack Black, is it?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:04 pm
I think Sponge Bob is played by Carrot Top, a well known shill for low rate long-distance phone services.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:05 pm
I didn't know it was anyone even remotely famous. . .
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:36 pm
Eva wrote:
Okay, we're the ones responsible for those statistics. When you live with a 9 year old, you watch a lot of SpongeBob. (I'm actually relieved he isn't interested in forensic shows, crime shows, and bad sitcoms!)

princessash185 wrote:
Hmm. . . should we be offended?

Nah...you'd just have to wonder about a nine year old who'd be interested in that kinda stuff. That's all.

Joe, I can't believe it. There you are, in the middle of a cultural mecca, and you don't know about Spongebob Squarepants? Shame on you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:31 pm
C'mon! mass entertainment has always been crap - and this sort of crap is a goodly step up from bull and bear baiting and cock fights and mass public executions, which were popular entertainments in days gone by...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:59 pm
Eva wrote:\
Quote:
Joe, I can't believe it. There you are, in the middle of a cultural mecca, and you don't know about Spongebob Squarepants? Shame on you.

Maybe it's because I'm in the middle of a cultural mecca. Cool
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 06:33 am
(sigh) True.

Or maybe it's because you don't watch cartoons. Or live with a nine year old. We got three invitations to SpongeBob birthday parties this year, and at least a dozen trick-or-treaters in SB costumes. You have missed out, my friend. I especially like the episodes with Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway voicing the elderly former superheroes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 06:41 am
Yes, well, I'll just have to deal with the loss of not seeing that.

Confused

Tell me, and the rest as well, are there any other major influences that I might be missing out on besides the SpongeBob extravaganzas?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 06:45 am
Hmmm. I will have to think.

Ouch, that hurts. Smile
0 Replies