The least cruel method of execution?

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:30 am
@OCCOM BILL,

Quote:
My biggest problem, which I feel needs some major changing is our laws. If someone intentionally takes another life, they should do life and life should be just what it says "life" with no chance of ever getting out.
Murderers should rot in jail for the rest of their living days, period!
But what about the 18 year old thief who's repeatedly bullied, raped, and heinously tortured by the convicted murderer who has nothing left to lose? How about the guards and prisoners who can be killed by convicted murderers? I think you might waver if you considered that a convicted murderer can be like a bully to the 100th power with impunity without the Death Penalty. And that they don't "rot" in prison anyway. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.
[/quote]

I just reread this and I'm thinking you're concern is about the safety of the other prisoners and guards, yes?

In that case, the thief sees what prison is really all about and may just decide to wise up. You get rid of all the psycho murderers, it leaves the rest of the prisoners to realize that prison isn't such a bad place after all. Hey, they get free meals cooked and delivered to them along with warm place to sleep, but the best part is they make tons of friends with all the harmless mellow guys.
They all get out and are left to go out and work, so they say "**** that ****! I'm callin my prison buds and we're gonna go out and commit more crimes because we're tired of this work ****, so why do it when you can get free room and board, along with servants who deliver every single meal. damn, if it was like that, I just may wanna go stay for a bit and make some new friend.

As far as the guards safety goes, well, that's the work they decided to do and they are well trained for the job they are paid to do.
Security guards everywhere are taking a risk when they take such a job.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:53 am
@OCCOM BILL,

Quote:

I'm against the death penalty for 3 reasons.
1. Too many innocent people being convicted.
Ah, but not one executed person in recent history has been proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt. Not one.
[/quote]

Sorry Bill, but I just found something else I forgot to address.

They are suppose to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person is guilty and not the other way around. Innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:52 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
WTF? I expect this kind of foolishness from the likes of JTT, Joe, but not you. Denial of easily verified fact is a sorry excuse for argument.
Quote:
12/4/01 - Alabama
Triple killer serving life without parole kills another inmate; finally gets death sentence

A Holman Prison inmate found guilty in September of murdering a fellow inmate was sentenced to the electric chair in an Escambia County courtroom. Cuhuatemoc Hinricky Peraita, 25, of Rainbow City, Ala., who was serving life without parole for 3 murders in Gadsden, was found guilty of capital murder and of having committed a murder after being convicted of other murders within the past 20 years.
Most literate people would read that and concede that Life without parole didn't stop Mr. Peraita from murdering again. Not you though, Joe? Really? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, you trotted that one out before. My response to that post, however, still applies now:

"None of these cases support your argument that the death penalty is preferable to life without parole. The cases where an inmate kills a fellow inmate or a guard or commits murder after escaping merely provide an argument in favor of better prisons, not capital punishment. "

Your position is rather like a school principal saying: "we know these kids aren't going to do well in school, so we might as well flunk 'em now." If prisons can't stop prisoners from committing murders, then the answer isn't to kill the prisoners -- including the ones who probably wouldn't commit any murders in prison. I mean, really, was Karla Fay Tucker a serious risk to stick a shiv in some fellow prisoner?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
? Where did I say I wouldn't support devoting more resources to preventing murders by prisoners? (I didn't.) Interesting considering you provided me with my favorite definition of Strawman. Who are you? And what have you done with Joefromchicago? (Too many beers? Or did the Remora hack your screen name?)

Let me remind you of what you wrote: "There's a limit to what prisons can do and a finite amount of resources to do it. History has shown that the State cannot be relied upon to prevent murders from occurring, inside prison or out, and reasonable people understand this. It can, however, prevent convicted murderers from killing again."

In other words, no matter what we have done or how many resources we devote to the problem, prisoners keep committing murders. So we might as well kill them first. Truly, in response to such a position, I am left with no recourse but to roll my eyes

Rolling Eyes

Look! Look at them roll!

Rolling Eyes

Hypnotic, ain't it?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Hate the death penalty? I'm the only one who truly believes in it, unlike posers such as yourself.
Laughing That was a demented joke 5 years ago and remains so. It is also nonresponsive... probably because the truth is so patently obvious.

It's not nonresponsive. Your statement assumed that I hate the death penalty. That is question-begging. My response was appropriate to that type of remark.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Rolling Eyes Really Joe? That's what you're going with? Pretty pathetic.

Really, this is getting quite comical. I am actually laughing out loud -- at YOU! Here, allow me to give you an example:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wait ... wait ... wait ...

Laughing Laughing

There, I literally split my side laughing.

Seriously, you now have been given any number of chances to explain why you don't favor executing speeders and jaywalkers, and the best you can come up with is to say: "For the purpose of this argument, my use of the term recidivism is meant to apply to murderers and other heinous criminals." Or, to put it another way: "when I say that I favor capital punishment as a means of preventing recidivism, what I'm actually saying is that I favor capital punishment for murderers so that they don't commit more murders. As for speeders and jaywalkers, though, I'm baffled. I can't quite figure out why they shouldn't be executed. But I sure don't like murderers." Really, it is to laugh.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

There, I split my other side. Happy?
Endymion

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:40 am

i would want to be out doors - shot by firing squad if possible
Anything else seems too clinical and cowardly (on the part of the killers)
i wouldn't want to die thinking, "what a bunch of ******* hypocrites"
i'd want to die looking at the sky and thinking - "i wonder if that plane is headed for the Caribbean .."

just saying that, for when they get around to executing political poets
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:12 am
Asked a question earlier...and no one replied to it. I'm going to pose it again. If anyone does have any information that can help me understand the following, I'd appreciate it. Here is what I posted:

Quote:
One question that I have…and if it has been answered earlier in the thread, I truly apologize:

I’ve had two instances recently where I had undergo medical procedures that required I be unconscious. They put an IV into me before wheeling me into the operating theater…and at some point fairly quickly after arriving, the anesthesiologist said, “Okay, I’m gonna put you to sleep now”"and apparently injected something into the IV.

And both times, as I was saying, “Okay!” in response…I was un-*******-conscious before finishing the word. No way there was even a gradual easing into unconsciousness...it was "POW!"

Then the doctors cut the hell out of me using knives and scalpels and all that kind of stuff.

Why on earth is one of the problems with lethal injections “possibly not being unconscious and still able to feel pain?”

Truly, I honestly cannot understand that argument.

So, whether this has or has not been treated so far in this thread, can anyone offer some wisdom on this issue?

Anyone????

aidan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It would seem the difference is that your anaesthesia was administered by a trained anaesthesiologist who calulated correctly and administered an appropriate dose for your surgery whereas these guys are having their drugs administered by people who are untrained in anaesthesiology.
Quote:
Abstract
Anaesthesia during lethal injection is essential to minimise suffering and to maintain public acceptance of the practice. Lethal injection is usually done by sequential administration of thiopental, pancuronium, and potassium chloride. Protocol information from Texas and Virginia showed that executioners had no anaesthesia training, drugs were administered remotely with no monitoring for anaesthesia, data were not recorded and no peer-review was done. Toxicology reports from Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina showed that post-mortem concentrations of thiopental in the blood were lower than that required for surgery in 43 of 49 executed inmates (88%); 21 (43%) inmates had concentrations consistent with awareness. Methods of lethal injection anaesthesia are flawed and some inmates might experience awareness and suffering during execution.

Here's the link if you'd like to retrieve the whole article from the Lancet:http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0140673605663775

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 02:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Asked a question earlier...and no one replied to it. I'm going to pose it again. If anyone does have any information that can help me understand the following, I'd appreciate it. Here is what I posted:

Quote:
One question that I have…and if it has been answered earlier in the thread, I truly apologize:

I’ve had two instances recently where I had undergo medical procedures that required I be unconscious. They put an IV into me before wheeling me into the operating theater…and at some point fairly quickly after arriving, the anesthesiologist said, “Okay, I’m gonna put you to sleep now”"and apparently injected something into the IV.

And both times, as I was saying, “Okay!” in response…I was un-*******-conscious before finishing the word. No way there was even a gradual easing into unconsciousness...it was "POW!"

Then the doctors cut the hell out of me using knives and scalpels and all that kind of stuff.

Why on earth is one of the problems with lethal injections “possibly not being unconscious and still able to feel pain?”

Truly, I honestly cannot understand that argument.

So, whether this has or has not been treated so far in this thread, can anyone offer some wisdom on this issue?

Anyone????

(I remember u from Abuzz)
I can 't because I agree with your position
and I have had similar experiences in the hospital.

However, someone might offer a feeble and incorrect argument
that because people have different physiologies,
anesthetics will have different effects upon them, individually.
HOWEVER, since he is not supposed to survive the event,
huge amounts of the anesthetic can be applied to him,
assuring unconsciousness.

OFF TOPIC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23597612/
" Patients say it feels like being trapped in a corpse:
They awake during surgery, unable to move or scream."

Too many people (including professional medical personnel)
have awoken during surgery, while remaining in a state of paralysis
and being thereby unable to complain of feeling the slicing n dicing
until several hours later, after the paralytic agent has worn off.
In one such case, after being arrested by police the anesthesiologist
confessed to having stolen the anesthesia and injected it into his OWN arm.

It is possible to have the hospital use a meter
to insure sufficient presence of anesthesia in your blood
to keep u unconscious and insensate.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:19 pm
Thanks Aiden and OmSigDavid

I guess it should be mandatory that the people administering drugs the final cocktails be trained (not necessarily be doctors or anesthesiologists) in the correct use of the drugs…and I am sure that can be worked out somehow.

That part of medicine becomes almost the same as the kind of knowledge that went with hanging…weight, length of rope, length of drop, amount of lubricant on the rope, etc. Surely that part can be handled in a way to insure that the guest of honor at an execution is completely unconscious, because as OmSigDavid pointed out, the guest of honor is not supposed to survive the event! No problem with giving him/her twice as much in order to insure total unconsciousness.

My own experience with the “being put out” thing is: This would not be a bad way to go. I sure as hell do not want to go the way so many people I’ve known and loved over the years have gone…after long, long periods of incredible suffering. How lucky is it for someone destined for a long, protracted period of suffering before death…to be put under and just not ever wake up.

Lots of good arguments on both sides of this issue.

I still think life in prison is more torture than an easy death on a gurney…or even tied to a stake at the wrong end of a firing squad.

It may be permanent…and irreversible…but death is also inevitable. When we execute a criminal, we truly are not taking a life…we are just taking some time from a life.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That last part about people waking up during surgery…or being awake and not able to tell anyone…sent chills down my spine.

What a horrible experience that must be!
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromneverneverland wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
WTF? I expect this kind of foolishness from the likes of JTT, Joe, but not you. Denial of easily verified fact is a sorry excuse for argument.
Quote:
12/4/01 - Alabama
Triple killer serving life without parole kills another inmate; finally gets death sentence

A Holman Prison inmate found guilty in September of murdering a fellow inmate was sentenced to the electric chair in an Escambia County courtroom. Cuhuatemoc Hinricky Peraita, 25, of Rainbow City, Ala., who was serving life without parole for 3 murders in Gadsden, was found guilty of capital murder and of having committed a murder after being convicted of other murders within the past 20 years.
Most literate people would read that and concede that Life without parole didn't stop Mr. Peraita from murdering again. Not you though, Joe? Really? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, you trotted that one out before. My response to that post, however, still applies now:

"None of these cases support your argument that the death penalty is preferable to life without parole. The cases where an inmate kills a fellow inmate or a guard or commits murder after escaping merely provide an argument in favor of better prisons, not capital punishment. "
Ridiculous. That's akin to saying that Doctors shouldn't cut out cancerous tumors, because if medicine were better, those tumors wouldn't kill people anyway. Back in reality we know that until medicine is better, some cancerous tumors will still need to be removed.

joefromneverneverland wrote:
Your position is rather like a school principal saying: "we know these kids aren't going to do well in school, so we might as well flunk 'em now." If prisons can't stop prisoners from committing murders, then the answer isn't to kill the prisoners -- including the ones who probably wouldn't commit any murders in prison.
Laughing If there's a kid at school hacking other kids to death with pick axes; he needs to be removed from school permanently. Not doing well in school is in no way analogous to murder.

joe wrote:
I mean, really, was Karla Fay Tucker a serious risk to stick a shiv in some fellow prisoner?
Hell yes she was a serious risk! The woman hacked an innocent woman to death with a pick axe while she was hiding under bed covers, Joe. Does that sound like someone you'd want to share a cell with? This level of depraved indifference is well beyond what most human beings are capable of. Anyone capable of such a heinous act against an innocent presents a clear and present danger to everyone around them. Where is your compassion for the victim, Deborah Thornton, who was hacked to death by the deranged psychopath?

Some people can rationalize away faulty reasoning by stating that killing Tucker didn’t bring Thornton back… right? But that's the faulty reasoning that was used to determine killing McDuff wouldn't bring back Louise Sullivan.
http://www.garylavergne.com/louise.jpg
And while true: Executing McDuff on schedule would have saved the innocent life of Melissa Ann Northrup.
http://www.garylavergne.com/Melissa.jpg
Why doesn't she matter, Joe? What makes the life of the demented pick axe wielding maniac more compelling than the life of her next victim?

joe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
? Where did I say I wouldn't support devoting more resources to preventing murders by prisoners? (I didn't.) Interesting considering you provided me with my favorite definition of Strawman. Who are you? And what have you done with Joefromchicago? (Too many beers? Or did the Remora hack your screen name?)

Let me remind you of what you wrote: "There's a limit to what prisons can do and a finite amount of resources to do it. History has shown that the State cannot be relied upon to prevent murders from occurring, inside prison or out, and reasonable people understand this. It can, however, prevent convicted murderers from killing again."

In other words, no matter what we have done or how many resources we devote to the problem, prisoners keep committing murders. So we might as well kill them first. Truly, in response to such a position, I am left with no recourse but to roll my eyes

Rolling Eyes

Look! Look at them roll!

Rolling Eyes

Hypnotic, ain't it?
Interesting display of smoke and mirrors. But the simple fact remains; I offered no opinion as to what I would or wouldn't pay for. Further; there are limits to what you can accomplish with your best intentions. The best doctor in the world cannot guarantee disease prevention.

joe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Hate the death penalty? I'm the only one who truly believes in it, unlike posers such as yourself.
Laughing That was a demented joke 5 years ago and remains so. It is also nonresponsive... probably because the truth is so patently obvious.

It's not nonresponsive. Your statement assumed that I hate the death penalty. That is question-begging. My response was appropriate to that type of remark.
Yadda, yadda, yadda, while you duck the point: The permanent nature of capital punishment is what makes it the only proven guarantee against repeat murder. Any improvements you might make to the law or prison system can be undone just as easily. McDuff exemplifies this point irrefutably, since he went from condemned mass murderer to mass murderer serving life to released mass murderer to mass murdering again. Thankfully, the SC had pulled their collective head out of it’s collective ass by then and allowed Texas to implement the only guaranteed method of preventing that mass murdering monster from mass murdering again… while do-gooders like you wept.

joe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Rolling Eyes Really Joe? That's what you're going with? Pretty pathetic.

Really, this is getting quite comical. I am actually laughing out loud -- at YOU! Here, allow me to give you an example:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wait ... wait ... wait ...

Laughing Laughing

There, I literally split my side laughing.

Seriously, you now have been given any number of chances to explain why you don't favor executing speeders and jaywalkers, and the best you can come up with is to say: "For the purpose of this argument, my use of the term recidivism is meant to apply to murderers and other heinous criminals." Or, to put it another way: "when I say that I favor capital punishment as a means of preventing recidivism, what I'm actually saying is that I favor capital punishment for murderers so that they don't commit more murders. As for speeders and jaywalkers, though, I'm baffled. I can't quite figure out why they shouldn't be executed. But I sure don't like murderers." Really, it is to laugh.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

There, I split my other side. Happy?
That idiotic display is beneath you. If you have a point to make about Jay walking; make it. No portion of my argument rests on anything so idiotic or irrelavent and you've given me no reason to follow you down such a silly path…
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:48 pm
@Montana,

Montana... take a closer look at your own reasoning and you'll see some stark contradictions. If you truly believe as you say, that Life imprisonment is an equal or greater punishment than death: then you also have to consider the injustice of an innocent man facing that fate as just as great. Hence; the cost of appeals argument serves mostly to demonstrate how unfairly biased the current system is to people facing the equal or greater punishment of life without parole. Now if you then choose to advocate using equal diligence in separating the innocent from the guilty in all death penalty/life sentence cases; the cost of administering the death penalty is clearly WAY less than that of the life sentence.

Further; the bias studies that show death penalties as more expensive tend to omit the cost of geriatric care and seldom, if ever, address the fact that the threat of the death penalty results in a multitude of guilty plea bargains for life sentences, saving the tax-payer countless millions. Those hyper-bias studies are bogus... and put out for the sole purpose of fortifying a preconceived, false, conclusion. In any honest comparison; the cost of determining guilt should be considered completely irrelevant. Cases of innocent people serving life-till-death are no less worthy of scrutiny.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:50 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Montana... take a closer look at your own reasoning and you'll see some stark contradictions. If you truly believe as you say, that Life imprisonment is an equal or greater punishment than death: then you also have to consider the injustice of an innocent man facing that fate as just as great. Hence; the cost of appeals argument serves mostly to demonstrate how unfairly biased the current system is to people facing the equal or greater punishment of life without parole. Now if you then choose to advocate using equal diligence in separating the innocent from the guilty in all death penalty/life sentence cases; the cost of administering the death penalty is clearly WAY less than that of the life sentence.

Further; the bias studies that show death penalties as more expensive tend to omit the cost of geriatric care and seldom, if ever, address the fact that the threat of the death penalty results in a multitude of guilty plea bargains for life sentences, saving the tax-payer countless millions. Those hyper-bias studies are bogus... and put out for the sole purpose of fortifying a preconceived, false, conclusion. In any honest comparison; the cost of determining guilt should be considered completely irrelevant. Cases of innocent people serving life-till-death are no less worthy of scrutiny.

The Death Penalty Clinic I work with here at UC Berkeley has gotten 3 wrongly convicted men off of death row, and two released from jail completely, in the last 5 years.

Imagine being wrongfully convicted, Bill - or your brother or sister or son or daughter - and tell me that the death penalty is a fantastic tool for our society to be using to deal with our problems.

I'm not for outlawing it completely, but it should be exceedingly rarely used.

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Death Penalty Clinic I work with here at UC Berkeley has gotten 3 wrongly convicted men off of death row, and two released from jail completely, in the last 5 years.
One could argue that excellent work they’re doing is among the reasons the system works so well.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Imagine being wrongfully convicted, Bill - or your brother or sister or son or daughter - and tell me that the death penalty is a fantastic tool for our society to be using to deal with our problems.
That would be quite the horror, for sure. But, I would rather I- or my brother or sister or son or daughter- be wrongfully convicted and sitting on death row knowing there are offices like the one you work at teaming with do-gooders to correct errors; than shackled in the back of Kenneth McDuff's car being tortured to death with his infamous broomstick. Which would you prefer? Which error is more horrifying? Two very evil scenarios, to be sure, but there's no doubt in my mind which is the lesser evil.

There is no conclusive proof that the State has executed an innocent person. McDuff is the best example that failure to execute has … but he’s not the only one.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm not for outlawing it completely, but it should be exceedingly rarely used.
I wouldn't agree with rarely, at all; but I'm right there with you if you want to maximize the certainty of guilt to qualify for it's application.
Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:20 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

But, at least being alive, they still stand a chance in proving they are innocent.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:25 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
I wouldn't agree with rarely, at all; but I'm right there with you if you want to maximize the certainty of guilt to qualify for it's application.

Considering there's no going back on our decisions, shouldn't we be doing exactly this? DNA evidence alone has released dozens from death row over the last decade or so...

Many of the death row cases we deal with are located in the deep south and are clearly white judges and prosecutors wanting to look 'tough' for their Republican constituents, and the vast majority of those on death row in those states are black. To me, the situation is not one where the balance of justice is the concern of those in charge of administering said justice, but instead a tool for the advancement of their own careers and the imposition of prior racial biases held by the majority in those states. That alone should be a warning sign that this punishment is not one which is handed out evenly.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:44 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Laughing If there's a kid at school hacking other kids to death with pick axes; he needs to be removed from school permanently. Not doing well in school is in no way analogous to murder.

Laughing You don't understand how analogies work! That makes me laugh out loud! Laughing

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Hell yes she was a serious risk! The woman hacked an innocent woman to death with a pick axe while she was hiding under bed covers, Joe. Does that sound like someone you'd want to share a cell with? This level of depraved indifference is well beyond what most human beings are capable of. Anyone capable of such a heinous act against an innocent presents a clear and present danger to everyone around them.

Well, murder is always a heinous act. Are you saying, then, that all murderers should be executed?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Where is your compassion for the victim, Deborah Thornton, who was hacked to death by the deranged psychopath?

I wasn't aware that, in order to feel compassion, one must also feel the need to kill someone. That's an odd sort of compassion you've got there.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Some people can rationalize away faulty reasoning by stating that killing Tucker didn’t bring Thornton back… right? But that's the faulty reasoning that was used to determine killing McDuff wouldn't bring back Louise Sullivan.

And while true: Executing McDuff on schedule would have saved the innocent life of Melissa Ann Northrup.

Why doesn't she matter, Joe? What makes the life of the demented pick axe wielding maniac more compelling than the life of her next victim?

Why stop there? Why not advocate the torture of people like McDuff? Why are you such a brave, macho guy when it comes to killing prisoners, but such a chickenshit when it comes to actually doing the deed? If guys like McDuff are such monsters who don't deserve to live, then why make their deaths as painless as possible?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Interesting display of smoke and mirrors. But the simple fact remains; I offered no opinion as to what I would or wouldn't pay for. Further; there are limits to what you can accomplish with your best intentions. The best doctor in the world cannot guarantee disease prevention.

True, the best doctor can't guarantee that you won't get sick, but your solution would be to use that as an excuse to cut funding for medical research.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Yadda, yadda, yadda, while you duck the point: The permanent nature of capital punishment is what makes it the only proven guarantee against repeat murder.

Quite true. It's also the only proven guarantee against repeat rape, arson, assault, check kiting, copyright infringement, and double-parking.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Any improvements you might make to the law or prison system can be undone just as easily. McDuff exemplifies this point irrefutably, since he went from condemned mass murderer to mass murderer serving life to released mass murderer to mass murdering again.

And at no time was McDuff ever sentenced to life imprisonment without parole. After all, he committed his subsequent murders while on parole. Again, that's not an argument for the death penalty, that's an argument against parole.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thankfully, the SC had pulled their collective head out of it’s collective ass by then and allowed Texas to implement the only guaranteed method of preventing that mass murdering monster from mass murdering again… while do-gooders like you wept.

I don't recall shedding a single tear over Mr. McDuff's fate, although it's nice of you to think of me as a do-gooder. So much better than being a do-badder, or even a do-nothing, like yourself.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
That idiotic display is beneath you.

That's very uncharitable. After all, you've been laughing out loud at my posts. Isn't just possible that I find your posts equally amusing?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
If you have a point to make about Jay walking; make it. No portion of my argument rests on anything so idiotic or irrelavent and you've given me no reason to follow you down such a silly path…

Look, it's very simple: your argument about using capital punishment to prevent recidivism can be applied equally to jaywalking as it can to murder. You haven't made any cogent argument that distinguishes the two. As far as I can tell, you have no real basis for saying that we should execute murderers but spare jaywalkers -- and that's after five years of thinking about this! Until you can come up with a reason for distinguishing the two, you can't be said to understand your own position, nor can you expect me to take your argument seriously.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

That last part about people waking up during surgery…
or being awake and not able to tell anyone…sent chills down my spine.

What a horrible experience that must be!

Yes.
It appears that the PARALYTIC agent
is a lot stronger than the chemistry that renders u insensate.
If I have any more surgery,
I 'll wanna have that ratio REVERSED.

I have chosen hospitals that possess and will use
a BIS Monitor -- a Bispectral Monitor, to ascertain that the patient
is not awakening while thay r still slicing n dicing.

It was estimated that between 30,000 - 40,000 patients awaken
during surgery annually, but cannot move to complain.
I think there 's an Internet support group for that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Considering there's no going back on our decisions, shouldn't we be doing exactly this? DNA evidence alone has released dozens from death row over the last decade or so...

Many of the death row cases we deal with are located in the deep south and are clearly white judges and prosecutors wanting to look 'tough' for their Republican constituents, and the vast majority of those on death row in those states are black. To me, the situation is not one where the balance of justice is the concern of those in charge of administering said justice, but instead a tool for the advancement of their own careers and the imposition of prior racial biases held by the majority in those states. That alone should be a warning sign that this punishment is not one which is handed out evenly.

Cycloptichorn

I knew I forgot something. Since the discovery of DNA (thank god for the innocent), they have proven many people innocent of crimes they didn't commit, along with some on death row.

I just love DNA and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Look, it's very simple: your argument about using capital punishment to prevent recidivism can be applied equally to jaywalking as it can to murder. You haven't made any cogent argument that distinguishes the two. As far as I can tell, you have no real basis for saying that we should execute murderers but spare jaywalkers -- and that's after five years of thinking about this! Until you can come up with a reason for distinguishing the two, you can't be said to understand your own position, nor can you expect me to take your argument seriously.

Well now, if we release a jaywalker back into society, what's the worst we can expect; he might jaywalk again. It really is different.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:53 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Well now, if we release a jaywalker back into society, what's the worst we can expect; he might jaywalk again. It really is different.

No, the worst we can expect is that he goes on a multi-state killing spree. But then that's the problem, isn't it. We can only guess, within, at best, a bell-curve type of probability, what any particular person might do in the future based on past behavior. A person who murders his girlfriend might murder his next girlfriend, but then again he might not. Maybe he was only motivated to murder that girlfriend rather than every girlfriend. O'BILL evidently thinks that we can know, for certain, who will commit more murders. That's why he wants to kill convicted murderers before they murder again. Of course, if he's wrong, then we will end up executing prisoners who pose no risk of murdering again, but I suppose them's the breaks. After all, in order to express compassion, one must want to kill, and O'BILL is a very compassionate guy.