The least cruel method of execution?

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:42 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Finally; we've learned that there is only one sure way to prevent recidivism.

Obviously you've never seen "Chucky."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:02 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Ps. Thanks for retrieving the worst argument Joe ever offered.

Wink

You've been itching to get into this argument for five years, haven't you. OK, fine, I'm bored, I have a little time on my hands -- tell me why my argument is so bad.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:23 am
Wow...same ole faces...same ole arguments.

I'm here...I was here a few years ago when the page before this one was written.

I've only read my remarks from that page...but...let's see where we go.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 02:14 pm
Good to see you Frank!

Joe, I did... 5 years ago and it remains unanswered. Put short; torture would affect the recidivism rate not one iota, so there is nothing half-way about the application of the Death Penalty. While you can provide not one example of an innocent person being put to death by the state in recent times (proven beyond a reasonable doubt); I can provide a plethora of examples of recidivism that could easily have been prevented by the application of the death penalty. The single best example of this would be one Kenneth McDuff.

(Borrowed from another thread)
Kenneth McDuff was first convicted for raping and murdering three teenagers on August 6, 1966 " Robert Brand, Mark Dunman, and Edna Louis Sullivan " a crime that became popularly known as the Broomstick Murders.

Although this murdering bastard was sentenced to death; the Supreme Court’s disastrous decision of 1972 spared his life… allowing him to kill again.

He is believed to have killed at least 10 more people, and he was indeed convicted of murdering a couple more.

Fortunately, the SC pulled their heads out of their asses and finally allowed Texas to do what should have been done MANY murders sooner.

There can be absolutely no doubt that pregnant mother of 2, Melissa Ann Northrup’s blood lies on the hands of the do-gooders that didn’t think Kenneth McDuff deserved to die. She and God only knows how many other victims of abduction, rape, torture, and murder are all victims of a belief that even mass murdering monsters like McDuff don’t deserve to die.

Melissa wasn’t just a statistic; she was a human being whose life was infinitely more valuable than that of her murderer.
http://www.garylavergne.com/Melissa.jpg

It wasn’t enough that McDuff had already shot these kids in the face:
Marcus Dunnam
http://www.garylavergne.com/dunnam.jpg
Robert Brand
http://www.garylavergne.com/brand.jpg
Before raping, torturing and killing this woman with a broomstick:
Louise Sullivan
http://www.garylavergne.com/louise.jpg

The do-gooders thought his life should be preserved, which resulted in these folks and other's forfeiting theirs.

Melissa Ann Northrup
Colleen Reed
http://www.garylavergne.com/reedxmas.jpg
Regenia Moore
http://www.garylavergne.com/Regenia.jpg
Valencia Joshua
http://www.garylavergne.com/Valencia.jpg
Brenda Thompson
http://www.garylavergne.com/Bthompsn.jpg

Clearly: Sometimes killing people is the best solution.

None of these people deserved to die… except Kenneth McDuff.
(end quote from other thread)

Now tell me, Joe. Would it have made any difference to McDuff's subsequent victims if Kenneth McDuff were executed as originally sentenced? (Yep) Would it have made any difference if he was tortured first? (Nope)
Your contention is preposterous.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 02:41 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
When you make that appeal to emotion argument that I've now seen you post more than once can you at least resize the pictures (you can do it with easy width/height on the bbcode) so that we don't have to scroll so much?

It's a stupid way to argue, and there's no reason to make it a huge and stupid way to argue.
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 02:43 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Not liking the idea of killing in the first place, but finding it justifiable in certain cases; I want the most effective solution carried out in the most humane way possible. I want him gone, but I believe torture to be a heinous act so I don't want him tortured, too. What the F@@k is so hard to understand about that? If someone committed a heinous act against my loved ones, I believe I could kill them myself. I would not, could not, regardless of how horrible the crime, torture anyone. Not being a "hypocrite", I would not, could not, ask the state to do what I couldn't do myself.

I'm afraid that you have shown yourself to be the ultimate hypocrite, Bill. I've never read, though I might be wrong, any criticism of your government which has engaged in, regularly, torture and murder since its very inception.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:02 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Joe, I did... 5 years ago and it remains unanswered. Put short; torture would affect the recidivism rate not one iota, so there is nothing half-way about the application of the Death Penalty. While you can provide not one example of an innocent person being put to death by the state in recent times (proven beyond a reasonable doubt); I can provide a plethora of examples of recidivism that could easily have been prevented by the application of the death penalty. The single best example of this would be one Kenneth McDuff.

You had five years to think about this, and that's the best you can do?

I'm not exactly sure how you can claim that "torture would affect the recidivism rate not one iota." Given that there is no torture in the US (or, at least, no torture in the mainland US), I can't imagine that there are any statistics regarding the effect of torture on recidivism one way or the other. But I suppose I should just believe you because ... well, I have no idea. Maybe you can help me out here.

In any event, I never said that the prisoners, after being tortured, should be released. Indeed, I think my point was pretty clear: capital punishment should be made more brutal. That means that the prisoner, after being tortured, would end up being quite dead. Per my argument, therefore, the death penalty would have the exact same effect on recidivism as it does today -- it would just include some torture. The addition of the torture wouldn't increase the effect on recidivism, it's true -- someone killed through torture is no more incapacitated from committing future crimes than someone killed by means of lethal injection -- but then it doesn't decrease the effect either. Purely in terms of reducing recidivism, therefore, choosing torture as a means of execution over some other means is largely inconsequential, and there should be no basis for preferring one means of execution over any other.

Now, if your only reason for supporting capital punishment is to prevent recidivism, then I'm not clear why you wouldn't support capital punishment for lesser crimes, since that method of punishment is equally effective in preventing people from committing more rapes, kidnappings, bank frauds, assaults, and parking offenses. No doubt you have very good reasons for distinguishing these kinds of lesser crimes from murder, but if you genuinely think that the only justification for capital punishment is to prevent recidivism, then I guess I'd be curious to find out what those reasons might be.

But don't feel compelled to answer right away. Go ahead and take another four or five years to think about it.
aidan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:15 pm
@joefromchicago,
Joe from Chicago wrote:
Quote:
In any event, I never said that the prisoners, after being tortured, should be released. Indeed, I think my point was pretty clear: capital punishment should be made more brutal. That means that the prisoner, after being tortured, would end up being quite dead. Per my argument, therefore, the death penalty would have the exact same effect on recidivism as it does today -- it would just include some torture. The addition of the torture wouldn't increase the effect on recidivism, it's true
no, it wouldn't increase the effect on recidivism, but it might very well increase the pool of potential sick-minded first offenders, which would then increase the pool of those eligible to become recidivists.

So you would like to see the federal government employ, train and pay people to torture other people?
What would the interview process entail? What would be the educational and previous experience requirements?

Jesus - no wonder the rest of the world thinks we (Americans) are nuts.
(or is this a joke - please tell me it's a joke - I can't read the whole thread to find out and there's too much other depressing stuff going on in the news for me to try to digest this seriously if it's only a joke).
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
no, it wouldn't increase the effect on recidivism, but it might very well increase the pool of potential sick-minded first offenders, which would then increase the pool of those eligible to become recidivists.

It might. But then again it might not. I act on the assumption that, if execution is a deterrent to others, then more painful and brutal execution would be an even greater deterrent. I really can't see the logical flaw in that assumption.

aidan wrote:
So you would like to see the federal government employ, train and pay people to torture other people?

Absolutely. The office of torturer would have to be a government position -- preferably covered under civil service regulations. I'd hate to think of some patronage hacks serving in that role.

aidan wrote:
What would the interview process entail? What would be the educational and previous experience requirements?

I would leave those sorts of questions to the professionals. If Stanley Milgram were still alive, perhaps he could have conducted the interviews.

aidan wrote:
Jesus - no wonder the rest of the world thinks we (Americans) are nuts.
(or is this a joke - please tell me it's a joke - I can't read the whole thread to find out and there's too much other depressing stuff going on in the news for me to try to digest this seriously if it's only a joke).

No joke. Deadly earnest.
Francis

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
Aidan, obviously missing the underlying irony, wrote:

No, no need to pay for that, there's sufficient nuts out there that would gladly perform for free..
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

When you make that appeal to emotion argument that I've now seen you post more than once can you at least resize the pictures (you can do it with easy width/height on the bbcode) so that we don't have to scroll so much?

It's a stupid way to argue, and there's no reason to make it a huge and stupid way to argue.
It would be my great pleasure to know how to do that, Robert, and I'd be happy to comply... but I don't know how. If you'll tell me the code; I promise to use it in the future.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:33 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Code:[img width=100 height=100]http://image.url[/img]

Replacing 100 with whatever pixel dimension you want of course.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:34 pm
@joefromchicago,
The sum total of your response contradicts your previous argument. You now agree that recidivism is obviously reduced by Capital Punishment, regardless of whether or not torture is employed, so apparently your opponents from 5 years ago weren't fools after all. Good concession, Joe.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:35 pm
One question that I have…and if it has been answered earlier in the thread, I truly apologize:

I’ve had two instances recently where I had undergo medical procedures that required I be unconscious. They put an IV into me before wheeling me into the operating theater…and at some point fairly quickly after arriving, the anesthesiologist said, “Okay, I’m gonna put you to sleep now”"and apparently injected something into the IV.

And both times, as I was saying, “Okay!” in response…I was un-*******-conscious before finishing the word. No way there was even a gradual easing into unconsciousness...it was "POW!"

Then the doctors cut the hell out of me using knives and scalpels and all that kind of stuff.

Why on earth is one of the problems with lethal injections “possibly not being unconscious and still able to feel pain?”

Truly, I honestly cannot understand that argument.

So, whether this has or has not been treated so far in this thread, can anyone offer some wisdom on this issue?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Code:[img width=100 height=100]http://image.url[/img]

Replacing 100 with whatever pixel dimension you want of course.
I assume that space between the first "100" and "height" is intentional? Thanks Robert.
aidan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
Oh no- all I can say is I hope you don't get your wish...

Francis - I get irony and having lived in the US most of my life, you don't have to tell me because sadly, I can picture people lining up around the block to apply for the job , and the thought of legitimizing peoples' sick fantasies by legalizing them and in fact, making those people ultimately more employable for them is truly, truly a scary thought.

If you think they wouldn't generalize that behavior outside the job - you're dreaming. I don't need any experts to tell me that.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:42 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

The sum total of your response contradicts your previous argument. You now agree that recidivism is obviously reduced by Capital Punishment, regardless of whether or not torture is employed, so apparently your opponents from 5 years ago weren't fools after all. Good concession, Joe.

Concession? You must be joking:

http://able2know.org/topic/15022-11#post-463482
"Of course, executed criminals absolutely, positively will not commit further crimes."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:43 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Testing
Wicked cool! Thanks Robert!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:55 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Here is my contention:

Your comment: "Capital punishment certainly incapacitates a criminal, in that executed criminals are not likely to commit subsequent crimes" ...

...misstates the actuality of the situation.

"Executed criminals" are not "not likely to commit subsequent crimes -- THEY DAMN WELL WILL NOT COMMIT SUBSEQUENT CRIMES. They will be dead -- which is the usual result of execution.

One of the disadvantages of this type of electronic interchange is that subtleties of expression are often lost. Of course, executed criminals absolutely, positively will not commit further crimes. My earlier comments about the likelihood of them not committing further crimes was mildly ironic -- the expression of which, evidently, did not translate well in this medium.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Your subsequent comment: "But punishment short of death can also accomplish this goal. Pace the objections raised by Scrat, we can, at least theoretically, devise a system of incarceration that minimizes the likelihood of a prisoner, condemned to life without parole, committing further crimes"...

...misstates the actuality also, in that ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY preventing the criminal from EVER committing a subsequent crime CANNOT be ensured via incarceration PERIOD -- and that includes incarceration so onerous and severe as to be inhumane.

Well, first of all, we're dealing with theoretical possibilities here. Furthermore, we're dealing with evolving standards of "cruel and unusual punishment." After all, remember that I'm arguing that death penalty proponents should favor more brutal and cruel methods of execution, which would necessarily entail the repeal of the Eighth Amendment. So "inhumane" forms of incarceration are largely irrelevant to the argument. And, as I mentioned before, if there is ever a question of which type of punishment is worse -- incarceration or death -- the proper response would be to let the prisoner decide which punishment to endure.

Your point, though, is that no method of incarceration can guarantee that a prisoner, convicted of a capital crime, won't commit another crime. I'll grant you that, but at what point are we entitled to insist upon that guarantee? Certainly, capital punishment would also end the criminal careers of habitual rapists, arsonists, check-forgers, burglars, and marijuana growers. Yet we don't extend capital punishment to these types of crimes, even though, in these instances, the permissible goals of incarceration/incapacitation are imperfectly met as well.

As I have mentioned before, capital punishment is unique: thus, it must serve its goals in a unique fashion. If incapacitation can be achieved in a manner short of execution, the state is obliged to choose that method. And if incapacitation is always imperfectly achieved, why are we entitled to insist upon perfect incapacitation in the case of capital crimes?

Anyone who argues that execution should serve the goal of incapacitation must provide additional justification (as I have explained in detail before) why capital punishment is needed. And if we accept imperfect incapacitation in non-capital cases, we need additional justification why perfect incapacitation is needed for capital cases.

Frank, you seem to assume that perfect incapacitation (through means of the death penalty) is justified for prisoners convicted of capital crimes. Yet that is, at this point, an unsupported assumption. Your task, then, is to explain why it's necessary to resort to capital punishment to achieve a level of incapacitation that we don't insist upon for any other crime.
You're chasing your tail here too. The additional justification you seek (to justify the guaranteed solution) is inherent in capital cases by virtue of their being capital cases. What further justification could you need?

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:57 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Though, if I were king, I'd be content to see these offenders face the same fate:
Joe wrote:
Certainly, capital punishment would also end the criminal careers of habitual rapists, arsonists
You can add "habitual" domestic violence offenders, child molesters, and other heinous criminals who "habitually" exibit a depraved indifference as well, as far as I'm concerned.