The least cruel method of execution?

Scrat

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:33 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Frank, you seem to assume that perfect incapacitation (through means of the death penalty) is justified for prisoners convicted of capital crimes. Yet that is, at this point, an unsupported assumption. Your task, then, is to explain why it's necessary to resort to capital punishment to achieve a level of incapacitation that we don't insist upon for any other crime.

Not that you asked me, but since this is in fact a good point, I'll chime in...

You've hit on precisely the point that it seems to me you may have been missing all along. In all of my statements regarding my position on the death penalty, I start by assuming that we are discussing a hypothetical convict to whom we have determined that society is never again to be exposed. (If that is your definition of a "capital crime" then groovy.)

These aren't people convicted of "any other crime". We don't need to safeguard society against every criminal in the same way that we need to safeguard them against these criminals. Do you not see the flaw in your logic? I might as well ask you to defend the notion that we need chemotherapy for cancer patients by arguing that we don't need it for people suffering from a cold. Confused

Having already reached the determination that we wish society to be forever protected from person X, killing person X is the only solution absolutely guaranteed of delivering the remedy we seek. In fact, it can be demonstrated that NO OTHER SOLUTION IS EQUALLY EFFECTIVE AT ACHIEVING THE DESIRED ENDS.

Now, I for one believe that our interests (and our humanity) are better served by accepting some small continuing risk from these persons, rather than taking their lives, but that doesn't change the fact that IF we wish to be completely and permanently safe from someone, excuting him or her is the absolute best solution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:39 pm
From the peanut gallery:

Scrat wrote:
Now, I for one believe that our interests (and our humanity) are better served by accepting some small continuing risk from these persons, rather than taking their lives, but that doesn't change the fact that IF we wish to be completely and permanently safe from someone, excuting him or her is the absolute best solution.

Unless, of course, we're talkin' Corsicans or Scicilians . . .

Want some a these Mike and Ikes, PD?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:52 pm
Thanks, big dog....

Here's the ash tray...

Who's winning?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:03 pm
Can't tell yet, an' i ain't takin' no bets . . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:52 pm
Scrat

As you may have noticed, I'm trying to clean up my act a bit.

Every once in a while I allow myself to slip into the "mad dog attack" mode -- and just fire away at anyone willing to stand and be shot at. But that ends up costing me debating points -- and to voluntarily be counterproductive makes no sense.

So I have grabbed onto the reins -- and I'm doing my best to keep things under control.

Which is a round about way of saying that I am staying clear of the thing you and Joe have brewing.

I'm sort of like you in this thread. I certainly am not a strong advocate of capital punishment (and have at times been a vocal opponent), but I see some of the arguments of the "pro" side as being reasonable -- and I've decided for the sake of this thread to argue that side.

You seem to be in that uncomfortable position of wanting to tell Joe, "Hey, please be on someone else's side!"

I know the feeling. I've been in that situation at times myself.

Good luck with it.

I hope you and Joe finally work it out between you.

You both have a lot to offer this forum.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:54 pm
Joe

Just a couple of comments, if I may -- in random order.

Quote:
After all, remember that I'm arguing that death penalty proponents should favor more brutal and cruel methods of execution, which would necessarily entail the repeal of the Eighth Amendment. So "inhumane" forms of incarceration are largely irrelevant to the argument.

But I have never bought into your arguments with regard to this -- not even slightly. In fact, I see absolutely no compelling arguments that would lead one to suppose that in order for a death penalty proponent to be consistent -- he/she must also favor more brutal and cruel methods of implementation.

So, the "inhumane" factor does figure into my calculus -- and it does so in a prominent, and unavoidable, way.

Setting aside for the moment the fact that much of the motivation for my advocacy here in this tread stems from a "devil's advocate" position, I honestly and truly do think that life in prison (especially under the severe conditions that would make harming guards or other prisoners unlikely) is much, much, much more inhumane than execution.

I also SUSPECT that many on death row feel that same way.

You seem to be supposing that death row inmates would rather live life out in prison rather than diej. But I've read that much of the appeals agenda for death row inmates is not a product of the prisoners themselves -- but comes from anti-capital punishment advocates doing it, at times, against the prisoners will.

I do not have any stats on that -- and I don't know that there really is anecdotal evidence as to how many death row inmates would elect death, over lifetime strenuous confinement, if given the opportunity -- so please feel free to take all of that with a large helping of salt.

But I THINK the truth on this question would surprise you.

Quote:
And, as I mentioned before, if there is ever a question of which type of punishment is worse -- incarceration or death -- the proper response would be to let the prisoner decide which punishment to endure.

I'm not nuts about this idea, but I really don't want to argue it now.

Quote:
Your point, though, is that no method of incarceration can guarantee that a prisoner, convicted of a capital crime, won't commit another crime. I'll grant you that, but at what point are we entitled to insist upon that guarantee? Certainly, capital punishment would also end the criminal careers of habitual rapists, arsonists, check-forgers, burglars, and marijuana growers. Yet we don't extend capital punishment to these types of crimes, even though, in these instances, the permissible goals of incarceration/incapacitation are imperfectly met as well.

Well, I certainly think that the capital punishment extreme would be used only to keep truly dangerous, violent criminals from committing dangerous, violent crimes again. Rapers and arsonists may very well fall into that category -- but check forgers, burglars, and (HEAVEN FORBID) marijuana growers do not.

In any case, I am not saying that we want to insist on a guarantee that there will be no crime -- but rather that dangerous,. violent criminals -- especially murderers, be prevented from physically harming others again.

And I think capital punishment does the job better, more efficiently, and more thoroughly than the other means.

Quote:
If incapacitation can be achieved in a manner short of execution, the state is obliged to choose that method.

Sez who?

Quote:
Anyone who argues that execution should serve the goal of incapacitation must provide additional justification (as I have explained in detail before) why capital punishment is needed.

Sez who? Why is "need" so compelling -- and where is it written that "need" must be established before being able to use it?

Quote:
Frank, you seem to assume that perfect incapacitation (through means of the death penalty) is justified for prisoners convicted of capital crimes. Yet that is, at this point, an unsupported assumption. Your task, then, is to explain why it's necessary to resort to capital punishment to achieve a level of incapacitation that we don't insist upon for any other crime.

Well, let me use on of your arguments back at ya.

Murder, for instance, is a unique crime. It robs the victim of his/her life.

Deterring a murderer is a more compelling undertaking of society (government) -- and it can be argued that whatever means insures that a person, once convicted of murder, not be able to murder again.

Capital punishment does that job.

Incarceration doesn't! N'est ce pas?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 04:33 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
As you may have noticed, I'm trying to clean up my act a bit.

Every once in a while I allow myself to slip into the "mad dog attack" mode -- and just fire away at anyone willing to stand and be shot at. But that ends up costing me debating points -- and to voluntarily be counterproductive makes no sense.

So I have grabbed onto the reins -- and I'm doing my best to keep things under control.

Which is a round about way of saying that I am staying clear of the thing you and Joe have brewing.

I seem to find myself in similar circumstances rather frequently. I think I'll take a cue from you and likewise try to rein things in a bit and play more nicely.

Very Happy

Joe, let's just focus on the fact that we're both against the death penalty and leave it at that. My apologies for anything I may have written that crossed a line. (I have been known to cross a line now and again.) :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 04:53 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
But I have never bought into your arguments with regard to this -- not even slightly. In fact, I see absolutely no compelling arguments that would lead one to suppose that in order for a death penalty proponent to be consistent -- he/she must also favor more brutal and cruel methods of implementation.

Well, Frank, that's pretty much my entire argument. So if, after all that I've written, you're still not convinced, then I can only suggest that you identify the specific portions of my argument with which you disagree. Failing that, I will have to learn to live with the burden of knowing that I failed to convince you, and leave it at that.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Setting aside for the moment the fact that much of the motivation for my advocacy here in this tread stems from a "devil's advocate" position, I honestly and truly do think that life in prison (especially under the severe conditions that would make harming guards or other prisoners unlikely) is much, much, much more inhumane than execution.

As I've mentioned before, whether or not capital punishment is worse than life imprisonment is largely irrelevant to my argument. And you yourself identified it as a strawman, Frank, so I don't understand why you're bringing it up yet again.
Frank Apisa wrote:
I also SUSPECT that many on death row feel that same way.

When they start dropping their appeals and start lining up to be killed, in the manner of Gary Gilmore, then I'll believe you.
Frank Apisa wrote:
You seem to be supposing that death row inmates would rather live life out in prison rather than diej. But I've read that much of the appeals agenda for death row inmates is not a product of the prisoners themselves -- but comes from anti-capital punishment advocates doing it, at times, against the prisoners will.

A lawyer cannot represent an unwilling client. It would be a breach of professional ethics to pursue a claim that the client does not wish to pursue. Thus the notion that there are dozens of death row inmates out there, just itching to get killed by the state, but who are being prevented by their attorneys, is nothing but a sick myth.
Frank Apisa wrote:
But I THINK the truth on this question would surprise you.

I am rarely surprised by the truth. It's the misconceptions that are startling.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
If incapacitation can be achieved in a manner short of execution, the state is obliged to choose that method.

Sez who?

Sez me. Several times. Re-read my previous posts.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Anyone who argues that execution should serve the goal of incapacitation must provide additional justification (as I have explained in detail before) why capital punishment is needed.

Sez who? Why is "need" so compelling -- and where is it written that "need" must be established before being able to use it?

Frank Apisa wrote:
[Murder, for instance, is a unique crime. It robs the victim of his/her life.

No question.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Deterring a murderer is a more compelling undertaking of society (government) -- and it can be argued that whatever means insures that a person, once convicted of murder, not be able to murder again.

Capital punishment does that job.

Incarceration doesn't! N'est ce pas?

Non. Tu as fait une erreur encore une fois.

Deterring a murderer is a compelling state interest: I have never maintained otherwise. But we've been arguing about incapacitation, not deterrence. In order to justify the use of capital punishment, the state must aim at achieving a goal that can only be accomplished through the act of execution (and, to anticipate your next question: sez me, several times, re-read my previous posts). Since the goal of incapacitation can be attained through imprisonment,* the state must choose imprisonment over capital punishment if it seeks only that goal.**

*Note: I know you disagree with me on this point. I am weary of repeating the arguments that I have already made regarding it. If you don't get it by now, then it's not likely I'll ever be able to convince you.

**Note: Sez me. Several times. Re-read my previous posts.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:40 pm
We'll leave it be for now, Joe.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:41 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
In order to justify the use of capital punishment, the state must aim at achieving a goal that can only be accomplished through the act of execution (and, to anticipate your next question: sez me, several times, re-read my previous posts).

Do you mean "in order to justify the use of capital punishment" to you specifically?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 04:52 pm
32 cents would be the most efficiant way of execution, cheap and fast.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:18 pm
My understanding is that the death penalty is only supposed to be used when there is a plethora of evidence of the person's guilt. Just before bush became president, there was an African American man in Texas, executed after 20 years on death row (wish I could remember his name) who had been convicted on the testimony of a single eye witness. Not only do I believe that this does not fulfil the definition of a "plethora of evidence" the one question that keeps recurring in my mind regarding this witness is "What if he/she was mistaken?" Just seems to be too easy a way to satisfy the blood lust of the rednecks.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:13 am
Off Topic ?
Since the title of the topic has been strayed from I am taking the liberty of asking another question. What should the penalty be if a prisoner who has commited murder that is not on Death Row commits another murder while incercerated?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 07:44 am
It happens, and I wonder who exactly is running the prisons. There was strike by guards here a couple of years ago, after they were blamed for letting a prisoner escape. I wondered who the hell elses fault it could be? Their job is to keep prisoners in. NOt let them walk out the front gate with the visitors like this guy did.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 05:12 pm
Nice little debate you guys got goin' on here. I just read something and I gotta chime in with my two cents:

Yes, killing a person will guarantee that they will never commit a crime agian, but unfortunately, there are two HUGE points that have to be made:

1. There have been a disturbing number of people on death row who have been found to be innocent. Before we establish a system that takes the lives of people, we better be damn sure that they are the guilty ones. We are not at that level yet.

2. The quality of defense relates to how rich the defendant is, and almost insures that those with alot of money do not get the death penalty, while the poor get screwed.

3. Just my opinion, but as a civilized society (and the progression of the human race), we should not have the death penalty. No matter the arguments that may be made, it is cheaper to provide life in prison with no chance of parol. Jail is no disneyland, and I personally would rather the criminal spend the rest of their life in a cell thinking about why they are there, only to eventually die and pay for the crime in the afterlife.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:27 am
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:36 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:

Sez who?

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:

I realize this issue went to bed a month ago but having spent my time to read it from beginning to end; I can not help but comment.
If Frank is the Devil's Advocate, then I'm the Devil.

I believe the death penalty is a just way to eliminate the possibility of subsequent offenses in more crimes than anyone on this thread would care to know. But for the purpose of responding to the debate between Joe and Craven (and Frank, Scrat etc.), I'll confine myself to only the most heinous murders with a plethora of proof. Iron clad, smoking gun, no doubt about it convictions.
Seemingly missing in this long debate is a clear-cut, undeniable punishment worse than death. Though strangely, it was part of Joe's original argument in the first place. Confused

Torturing a convict to death is a far worse punishment than simple execution. Exclamation

I support the death penalty because it is, like Frank made clear, the only absolutely guaranteed method of preventing subsequent offenses (Frank Lee Morris, etc.). Not liking the idea of killing in the first place, but finding it justifiable in certain cases; I want the most effective solution carried out in the most humane way possible. I want him gone, but I believe torture to be a heinous act so I don't want him tortured, too. What the F@@k is so hard to understand about that? If someone committed a heinous act against my loved ones, I believe I could kill them myself. I would not, could not, regardless of how horrible the crime, torture anyone. Not being a "hypocrite", I would not, could not, ask the state to do what I couldn't do myself. Idea

Joe's assumption that I must also support torture or be a hypocrite is, as Craven pointed out (and convincingly proved), absurd. Even if I stick with Joe's ridiculous parameters of only considering: (1) deterrence; and (2) retribution, as my objectives, my objectives are still met. His assertion that the absence of torture makes it a half measure is equally ridiculous. Post: 455086 Is the person only half dead? Joe's insistence that the State must choose another method over capital punishment if it can; is backed up only by his statement; I said. Shocked
According to Joe;
Any person who believes capital punishment is a deterrent, without torture added, is a fool and a hypocrite. Shocked Post: 455086
Everyone who disagrees with Joe is a fool. Shocked Post: 455133

Joe, I hope you revisit this thread and re-read your ridiculous positions. I have never seen an argument so well thought out, meticulously organized and delivering absolutely nothing. You ignored excellent arguments from Craven, Frank and Scrat among others, and you owe them each an apology. Exclamation I don't believe for one minute you could re-read your original post, your insults to Scrat or your ridiculous counterpoints without being ashamed of yourself. You really should be. Until then; I'll remain glad you are on the other side of the issue. I can ill imagine the demented sh@t you'd propose if you were actually supporting the death penalty. Rolling Eyes
fungotheclown

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 09:23 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I used to buy into that kind of logic Bill, but I had a professor make a very good point to me about a year and a half ago that changed my position. In order to truly prevent the most crimes of that nature in the future, we need to understand what turned these people into the monsters they are in the first place. Thus, we shouldn't be executing them, but imprisoning them for life and studying them in an effort to understand them. Hopefully, if we can understand what makes them, we can one day prevent monsters from being created in the first place.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 10:56 pm
@fungotheclown,
fungotheclown wrote:

...imprisoning them for life and studying them in an effort to understand them.... if we can
understand what makes them, we can one day prevent monsters from being created in the first place.

The results of the official study are in: Bullets are cheap and ideally suited to the job of executing monsters.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 01:02 am
@fungotheclown,
Laughing 5 years later...
fungotheclown wrote:

I used to buy into that kind of logic Bill, but I had a professor make a very good point to me about a year and a half ago that changed my position. In order to truly prevent the most crimes of that nature in the future, we need to understand what turned these people into the monsters they are in the first place. Thus, we shouldn't be executing them, but imprisoning them for life and studying them in an effort to understand them. Hopefully, if we can understand what makes them, we can one day prevent monsters from being created in the first place.
Interesting, but failed strategy. As far as "monsters" are concerned; we've done that for the better part of forever. What we've learned is that the sober, primitively armed, SUPERVISED "monsters" behind bars bear little resemblance to the dangerous psychopaths they are in their offending environments. We've also learned that violent A-holes tend to reoffend. We’ve learned that the behavior tends to be passed from generation to generation (perhaps the worst horror of all.) Finally; we've learned that there is only one sure way to prevent recidivism.

Ps. Thanks for retrieving the worst argument Joe ever offered.

Wink