Local Conservative Goes Down

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:16 pm
After years on KSEV, a Tomball/Houston radio station, castigating liberals on their morals, conservative talk show host John Matthews has resigned. Cause: He was indicted on a charge of exposing himself and seeking sexual gratification before a girl younger than seventeen. He has vowed to fight the charge. It is but one more example that it makes no difference the political orientation; people will be imperfect. While it gives me a great deal of personal satisfaction to see this particular person fall, I do not ascribe his alleged behavior to his spouting off like Rush Limbaugh all the time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,691 • Replies: 45
No top replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:21 pm
Geez. By the way. Rush Limbaugh goes back on the air on Monday. Short rehab for such a major problem and for someone with unlimited funds, don't you think?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:27 pm
It's all a sham.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:29 pm
People in glass houses...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:15 pm
Not to worry. I am sure his place has already been filled by the radio station that broadcasts Rush and later the same day rebroadcasts him.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 07:46 am
(in best Butthead voice):

heh heh heh heh heh

edgar said, "goes down"...

heh heh heh heh heh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:56 pm
June 21, 2004, 2:28PM

Radio's Jon Matthews pleads guilty to indecency
By ERIC HANSON
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Fort Bend Sheriff's Office
Booking mug of Jon Matthews from Nov. 12, 2003

RICHMOND -- Former radio talk show host Jon Matthews pleaded guilty today to a charge of indecency with a child in a plea agreement with prosecutors.

Matthews, 59, who resigned from his position at KSEV-AM 700 last year, was to go to trial June 28 but decided to accept the agreement after rejecting it last week, said Fort Bend County District Attorney John Healey.

In a pre-trial hearing this morning in the court of state District Judge Brady Elliott, Matthews' attorney, Stephen Doggett, said he wanted to speak with prosecutors about reconsidering the offer.

Healey said prosecutors were surprised by Matthews' decision.

"It was a possibility, but it was not anticipated," Healey said.

Matthews left the courtroom with his attorney and declined to comment.

The judge deferred the official finding of guilt and the sentencing until Aug. 2.

According to court documents, Matthews is to be placed on deferred adjudication for seven years.

Criminal defendants who successfully complete the terms of deferred adjudication avoid final conviction, but the fact that they were charged remains a part of their record.

The arrangement calls for Matthews to register as a sex offender, perform community service and move from his Sugar Land house.

Prosecutors said Matthews can no longer reside at the house on Rolling Mill because it is too close to Sugar Land Middle School. State law prohibits sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of a school.

Matthews also must make a $5,000 donation to Crime Stoppers.

He was indicted Nov. 11 on a charge alleging that he had exposed himself to an 11-year-old girl at his home on Oct. 9. He was arrested two days later and released on $10,000 bail.

The conservative talk show host resigned from his position at KSEV-AM 700, where he had a program on weekday mornings, and also stopped writing a column for the weekly Fort Bend Star.

Sugar Land police began their investigation in October after the girl's parents contacted them through an intermediary.

Matthews was indicted one day after he spent about 90 minutes in the grand jury room at the Fort Bend County Courthouse.

The charge is a third-degree felony with a range of punishment from two to 10 years in prison and a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Before his resignation, Matthews had been on the air on Houston radio stations since at least the mid-1980's, working at KSRR-FM and KPRC-AM before moving to KSEV-AM in March 2001.

Return to top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:39 pm
Good. One less idiot that shows poor judgement in the fold.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:00 pm
It may have looked like I was gloating in earlier posts. I would prefer that he be back on the radio telling folks how low people like me are than to have him or anyone be guilty of such a crime. Anyway, justice will be served.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:45 pm
Oh gloat, ed, gloat.

Never mind, I'll gloat enough for us both.

I believe it was the wonder-working power of Bill Clinton's penis that did him in. Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:48 pm
Smile
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:59 pm
Wait -- that's a crime in Texas?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:04 pm
I didn't learn until today the the child was eleven years old. I thought by the original story she was probably at least sixteen, which is still just a child.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:49 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It may have looked like I was gloating in earlier posts. I would prefer that he be back on the radio telling folks how low people like me are than to have him or anyone be guilty of such a crime. Anyway, justice will be served.

Oh come on edgar, you were gloating.

I'm sure it's not a case of your not caring that the girl was victimized, but admit it, the first thing you thought of when you saw this story was that this pompous loud mouth conservative got his. This doesn't make you're a bad person, just not as empathetic as you might like to think of yourself - you being a liberal and all.

You did eventually think of the girl (and perhaps even moments after the first rush of gloating satisfaction) which is more than a lot of other people would have gotten around to.

Concern for the girl acknowledged, there's nothing wrong with a little schadenfreude, especially when the person is a jerk, but what was the purpose of posting the story if not to gloat?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:41 am
The man has been a first class jerk for years. Naturally, my first thought was, "This guy is apparently guilty of the very thing he accuses others of." Of course I was happy to see such a guy shut down by his own failings. Gloating I am not. Not when it involves harm to a child.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:44 am
Eventually getting to the girl is your interpretation. The negative is ascribed automatically in the minds of antagonists.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:49 am
Edgar, are you family with Bill Clinton?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:50 am
family of...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:59 am
Why do you inquire? The other guy commits a crime against a woman, and that somehow links me to Bill Clinton? Haw.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:04 am
No that's not it. Just this morning I read that Bill Clinton was born as Bill Blythe. That's why.
0 Replies