Definition of evolution

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:21 am
Aedes;121214 wrote:
Honestly, for the purposes of this discussion, it would suffice to call it a biologically-mediated ontogeny and diversification of species. We can hash out what the biological unit of evolution is in some other thread.

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 12:14 PM ----------

Alleles differ from one another because of mutation (and I'm using the word 'mutation' highly generically here). In other words, if you have two or more alleles for a given gene, then it is mutation that makes them differ from one another. Mutation is completely implicit in the concept.
in what concept ? in the concept that "Evolution is allele frequency change" ? nope. it's not implicit at all. Mutation is a gene change, but that is not population allele frequency change.
I have 4 dogs in my population. 2 *****es give birth, one litter having "X" more than "Z", and the other having "Z" more than "x".

No change in allele frequency in my population, but change in sub population.
And no mutation happening whatsoever on that gene meanwhile.

next litters my 2 females both produce more "X" ; allele frequency change in my population. However, my brother's 2 females do the opposite, and over all there is "no change" to the entire population of all dogs' allele frequency.

Next litters my population goes back to where it was, and so
does my brother's. No mutation, no allele frequency change to our populations, nor to the entire dog population, over the period.

What part of this is Evolution, and which part is not ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,769 • Replies: 160
No top replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:29 am
@memester,
memester;121221 wrote:
in what concept ? in the concept that Evolution is allele frequency change ? nope. it's not implicit at all. Mutation is a gene change, but that is not population allele frequency change.
I'm not sure what you're not understanding here. Allele frequency change is the fundamental concept of population genetics, and by definition two different alleles are genetic variants of the same genetic locus. So I'd like to hear you explain how genetic sequences change in a given genetic locus if not by mutation (and I'm using an 'inclusive' concept of mutation here that includes translocations, insertions, deletions, duplications, point mutations, etc).

If you dispute that 'evolution' has to do with changes in populations over time, then we're definitely not on the same page.

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 12:31 PM ----------

memester;121221 wrote:
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:34 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;121227 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're not understanding here. Allele frequency change is the fundamental concept of population genetics
is population genetics "Evolution" ?

Quote:
and by definition two different alleles are genetic variants of the same genetic locus.
and ?....

Quote:

So I'd like to hear you explain how genetic sequences change in a given genetic locus if not by mutation (and I'm using an 'inclusive' concept of mutation here that includes translocations, insertions, deletions, duplications, point mutations, etc).
this has nothing to do with what we are talking about. You are talking about the arise of novelty, whereas your definition has nothing to say about that.
Quote:

If you dispute that 'evolution' has to do with changes in populations over time, then we're definitely not on the same page.
here you change wording drastically. once more. you change from "allele frequency change" to "change"...as it is necessary for you to do, in order to present your argument.

ad hoc change goalposts steam ahead.

Originally Posted by memester
Quote:
Quote:
check the word "meanwhile" in my sentence. You seem to take liberties in extending or contracting time frames of my hypothetical.

Quote:
but both alleles happened to already both be in your example population in the first generation.
exactly.
Quote:
If these are functionally important genes, then a population change in frequencies of X versus Z will result in an overall biologically different population in future generations.
oh, so allele frequency change in population over time is not REALLY your definition. Only if it is "important".

And even if it is important, there WAS NO frequency change in my population, and we do not know if there are to be future generations. I might sterilize all my dogs. Yes, I sterilized all.
Was it evolution ? which parts ?

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:49 am
@memester,
memester;121232 wrote:
is population genetics "Evolution" ?
As I said a couple posts ago, this is food for a different thread, so I beseech you to restrain your penchant for thread hijacking and let Sword take this discussion where he wants.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:53 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;121238 wrote:
As I said a couple posts ago, this is food for a different thread, so I beseech you to restrain your penchant for thread hijacking and let Sword take this discussion where he wants.

Oh, so now you know where he wants to go with it ..your contributions detailing your favoured narrative are on topic, but when challenged, it's all off topic. typical.
You want to expound on Evolution, but cannot answer to your definition's shortcomings
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:59 am
You're making me feel dumb and inadequate, Memester. So here's a thread all of your own. Say your piece. I'll chime in further if I feel like it.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm
@Aedes,
you feel dumb and so you remove the discussion to elsewhere ?
the questions remain.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:40 pm
@memester,
I removed it because it was off topic. It's a legitimate topic for here.

And no, I don't feel dumb. I appreciate the challenge. I've got a pretty good command of evolutionary biology, but ultimately it's imperfect because I don't do it for a living.

You happen to be very much in the business of shooting ideas down, yet seldom offer your own ideas. So here's your chance. Speak your mind.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:47 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;121264 wrote:
I removed it because it was off topic. It's a legitimate topic for here.

And no, I don't feel dumb. I appreciate the challenge. I've got a pretty good command of evolutionary biology, but ultimately it's imperfect because I don't do it for a living.

You happen to be very much in the business of shooting ideas down, yet seldom offer your own ideas. So here's your chance. Speak your mind.
Sword did not object - you did - and yet you use Sword's "intentions" as the reason.

I will ask Sword if I have stepped on his desires for the thread, or if you did. You seem to care not a whit about his desires, rather it's all about you

the questions remain.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:54 pm
@memester,
You, my friend, introduced the discussion that I moved here. Sword did not.

I really do not enjoy my interchanges with you, not because of the topic but because of your interpersonal style. But I'll go along with you in this to show that I'm not moving it just to get out of a conversation..

Let's try and reach common ground here.

Point #1 -- agree / disagree / elaborate, please:

The theory of evolution describes biological changes in populations over time.

If you disagree, please tell me what the "theory of evolution" means in your own understanding of it.
prothero

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:01 pm
@memester,
I quess the question in my mind runs something like this:
Ultimately in higher organisms it is behaviors that give survival and procreation advantages.
So the relationship between genes and behaviors comes into play:
As one deals with higher organisms with more complex societies and behaviors the clear cut relationship between particular genes and particular behaviors is fuzzy.

So although there clearly are changes in gene allelle frequencies in populations over time and that is evidence for evolution, the question would remain if those changes are invariably the cause or just an effect of evolution.

For example it may be the gene allelle frequency for sickle cell, cystic fibrosis and other deleterious genes is increasing but that is not because they offer any survival or procreative advantage only because modern medicine allows survival long enough for procreation to occur.
In addition it is gene expression that is important and gene expression is a complex interaction involving many factors. Again each cell in your body has the same genomic information but the expression in a liver cell versus a brain cell is quite different, so the selective advantage that occurs for any particular gene expression is in some way dependent on enviroment as well as possession of the gene.

In sum the relationship between the change in frequency of a particular gene alelle and its actual contribution to the selective advantage it may or not confer is not clear. Changes in gene frequency may be an effect, not a cause of selection and in some cases that is clearly true.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;121272 wrote:
You, my friend, introduced the discussion that I moved here. Sword did not.

I really do not enjoy my interchanges with you, not because of the topic but because of your interpersonal style. But I'll go along with you in this to show that I'm not moving it just to get out of a conversation..

Let's try and reach common ground here.

Point #1 -- agree / disagree / elaborate, please:

The theory of evolution describes biological changes in populations over time.

If you disagree, please tell me what the "theory of evolution" means in your own understanding of it.
if Sword does not object you should move it back in, because you used his intentions for the thread as your excuse. Your enjoyment level, in discussion with me, is not good enough reason to move my posts out.

As I said, it's all about you protecting something of yours.

We have been through this discussion before, and I can tell you how it goes: first you say "change in populations over time" ( I agree) and then you MAGICALLY end up with "allele change in a population over time". And quit.
Aedes

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:05 pm
@prothero,
prothero;121274 wrote:
I quess the question in my mind runs something like this:
Ultimately in higher organisms it is behaviors that give survival and procreation advantages.
That's true for insects too.

Not all higher organisms have behaviors, for instance terrestrial plants.

So we need to discuss the biological common ground between animals (which employ behaviors as part of their survival strategy) and vegetative creatures like plants and fungi (which don't).
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:09 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;121277 wrote:
That's true for insects too.

Not all higher organisms have behaviors, for instance terrestrial plants.

So we need to discuss the biological common ground between animals (which employ behaviors as part of their survival strategy) and vegetative creatures like plants and fungi (which don't).
by what measure do plants not have or employ behaviours ?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:10 pm
@memester,
memester;121275 wrote:
if Sword does not object you should move it back in, because you used his intentions for the thread as your excuse.
Well, I used my discretion as a forum moderator as an excuse based on the justification that I've already provided, and in fact I have the latitude to do so. Sword does not reply to that thread very often, and I know from experience that a digression that is off the original topic is likely to drown him out. If you're interested in the topic of how Aedes defines evolution, here is your chance. You've cowered away from answering the question I've asked (and you've quoted). Do you have what it takes to go head to head with me when I'm asking you the hard questions? You're 0 for 1 in this new thread so far.

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 02:11 PM ----------

memester;121279 wrote:
by what measure do plants not have or employ behaviours ?
What FORMAL definition of "behavior" do you accept that describes any aspect of plant biology? Let's make sure we're using the same definition as one another.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:12 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;121280 wrote:
Well, I used my discretion as a forum moderator as an excuse based on the justification that I've already provided, and in fact I have the latitude to do so. Sword does not reply to that thread very often, and I know from experience that a digression that is off the original topic is likely to drown him out. If you're interested in the topic of how Aedes defines evolution, here is your chance. You've cowered away from answering the question I've asked (and you've quoted). Do you have what it takes to go head to head with me when I'm asking you the hard questions? You're 0 for 1 in this new thread so far.
No, that is not true at all. It is you who failed to answer my questions, which were first. And I DID answer yours.

First you said let Sword dictate how it goes, but now you are dictating FOR HIM.
I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to move things out of threads when you think they are off topic, but I'm talking about your excuse as given. bunk.

a more honest approach would be to say you don't want it in that thread.
and that is where it's at, not with Sword's desires.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:17 pm
@memester,
Looks as though this thread needs to focus on resolution, not evolution!
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:19 pm
@Zetherin,
so Evolution is "change in allele frequency, in a population, over time" ?
is that so ?

why start off with a different definition , then ?

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 02:35 PM ----------

Aedes;121280 wrote:

[/COLOR]What FORMAL definition of "behavior" do you accept that describes any aspect of plant biology? Let's make sure we're using the same definition as one another.
You made the statement, not I. so you give your definition...it's illogical for you to call on me for definition when you made the statement.

what is behaviour, in your statement, that says plants don't employ it but animals do ?
prothero

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:41 pm
@memester,
[QUOTE=memester;121286] so Evolution is "change in allele frequency, in a population, over time" ? is that so ? [/QUOTE] No that is not so at all. Darwin knew almost nothing about genes, genetics or alleles. Evolution is the change in species over time, including the extinction of some species and the development of new species. (as opposed to fixity of species). This historical process occurs as a result of variation from generation to generation and selection for those best able to survive and reproduce. Genes are only part of the story and changes in gene or allele frequency or gene expression can be either cause or effect depending on the example.
[QUOTE=memester;121286] why start off with a different definition , then ?[/QUOTE]
memester;121286 wrote:

That would never have been the proper definition. Changes in gene frequency are a form of evidence for evolution but not the definition of evolution.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 01:47 pm
@prothero,
prothero;121294 wrote:
No that is not so at all. Darwin knew almost nothing about genes, genetics or alleles. Evolution is the change in species over time, including the extinction of some species and the development of new species. (as opposed to fixity of species).
Aedes apparently does not wish people to notice that he switches forth and back on definition, as necessary for his argument.