Definition of evolution

memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:03 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121511 wrote:
Your way of arguing is very strange. But no matter the method, it does appear you're trying to blatantly insult me.

I like it :flowers:

Ah, I see you edited your post.
yes, I try to be a bit less abrasive than comes naturally.

Now, if I see this kind of statement
Quote:
Evolution, fundamentally, is population genetics.
I see a closed mind behind it. "Evolution" is neither a study of genetics nor the genes of a population.

but by equivocation, people become misled.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:06 am
@memester,
memester;121513 wrote:
yes, I try to be a bit less abrasive than comes naturally.

Not your forte, is it?

Quote:
Now, if I see this kind of statement I see a closed mind behind it.

Whereas other people, reasonable people, see a point for debate that need not devolve into pedantic point scoring.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:06 am
@memester,
memester wrote:
I see a closed mind behind it. "Evolution" is neither a study of genetics nor the genes of a population.

but by equivocation, people become misled.

But you must understand that it is not from a closed mind. A stringent definition does not imply a closed mind. Would you say that if I stated that bachelors were only unmarried males, that I was being closed minded?

Many scientists agree with the definition aforementioned here, and people have had good reason to believe such. This isn't being closed minded at all, it is working with what we know. And if there are exceptions, then of course any rational mind will not ignore them.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:09 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121504 wrote:

My only other current thought: Are we sure inheritence is a part of evolution?
now I see that you are starting to enquire into your beliefs on the subject. Who said it's all about inheritance and nothing else ?

Quote:

In other words, perhaps inheritance has nothing to do with evolution at all, but is simply another way organisms can change (and, in this case, we can still call evolution the change in allele frequency in a population over time).

but you have no reason to restrict the definition and call Evolution "change in allele frequency", although allele frequency change is a kind of evolution of the population.
to say Evolution occurred, it's enough that phenome has changed.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:13 am
@memester,
memester;121518 wrote:
now I see that you are starting to enquire into your beliefs on the subject. Who said it's all about inheritance and nothing else ?

Because if inheritance can be divorced from evolution the example of corticle inheritance is perhaps moot.

That's why he asked.

Obviously.

Though expecting a straight answer was naive of him.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:13 am
@memester,
memester wrote:

but you have no reason to call Evolution "change in allele frequency", although allele frequency change is a kind of evolution.

Of course I do. Many sources cite evolution as, "In biology, evolution is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms through successive generations", or something close.

If a good number of sources specify that evolution is the change in genetic material, I have a good reason.

Or do you not consider this a reason? I am being "arbitrary" again?
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:14 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121520 wrote:
Of course I do. Many sources cite evolution as, "In biology, evolution is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms through successive generations", or something close.

If a good number of sources specify that evolution is the change in genetic material, I have a good reason.
OK, it's your authorities that have no good reason.

Noted that there has already been the first illegitimate equivocation.

From "allele frequency change to "genetic material change".
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:17 am
@memester,
memester;121521 wrote:
OK, it's your authorities that have no good reason.

Authorities are a reason. If they weren't they wouldn't be authorities.

So, you are claiming that the vast majority of authoritative sources on evolution are incorrect? Is this right?
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:18 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121522 wrote:
Authorities are a reason. If they weren't they wouldn't be authorities.
I agree with you there, you have reason to take it for granted from them.

but you do note that "genetic material" is not "allele" ?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:21 am
@memester,
memester;121523 wrote:
I agree with you there, you have reason to take it for granted from them.

But is it possible that your exceptions have nothing to do with evolution at all? That is what I was getting at earlier.

What reason do you have for thinking the vast majority of authoritative sources are incorrect?

Quote:

but you do note that "genetic material" is not "allele" ?

They used "genetical material" because it sounds more layman. "Allele" is a more technical term, but it is genetic material.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:22 am
@memester,
memester;121521 wrote:

From "allele frequency change to "genetic change".

Synonyms aren't equivocations.

They are the opposite.

Synonym - different words with the same meaning.

Equivocation - one term with several meanings.

EDIT: Ah - I see you have retrospectively edited again.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:01 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121524 wrote:
But is it possible that your exceptions have nothing to do with evolution at all? That is what I was getting at earlier.

What reason do you have for thinking the vast majority of authoritative sources are incorrect?

They used "genetical material" because it sounds more layman. "Allele" is a more technical term, but it is genetic material.
Let's start with this part

Quote:
They used "genetical material" because it sounds more layman. "Allele" is a more technical term, but it is genetic material
This is what I'm getting at, repeatedly. Yes, you can say that the gene is genetic material, but it's incorrect to say that genetic material is the gene.
that's where I'm showing you illegitimate equivocation happening - if they say "the genetics", do you think they mean just the genes, or more than just the genes ?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:13 am
@memester,
memester wrote:

but it's incorrect to say that genetic material is the gene.

But if you know that what they mean by genetic material is the gene, based on other sources, then any reasonable person can agree they are synonymous.

Genetic material encompasses more than just the genes (according to wiki it also includes the non-coding sequences), but I believe the genetic material the articles refer to are the genes. Don't you?
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:38 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121533 wrote:
But if you know that what they mean by genetic material is the gene, based on other sources, then any reasonable person can agree they are synonymous.

Genetic material encompasses more than just the genes (according to wiki it also includes the non-coding sequences), but I believe the genetic material the articles refer to are the genes. Don't you?
yes, sometimes they mean "the pieces of DNA, physical genes" and at other times, they mean the whole caboodle of "anything that is involved in making these things happen"..and you see Aedes use that kind of meaning sometimes. Not just the physical gene as "the genetics", but epigenetic influences, SiRNA biz and so on.

so which is which during a typical conversation ?

start paying attention to that and you'll see. it varies from individual to individual and usually from time to time with each individual.

backed into a corner, they say "the genetics" does it. i
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:40 am
@memester,
memester;121538 wrote:
yes, sometimes they mean "the pieces of DNA, physical genes" and at other times, they mean the whole caboodle of anything that makes things happen..and you see Aedes use that kind of meaning sometimes.

Genetic material never means "anything that makes things happen". I don't know why you think that, and I don't remember reading where Aedes used the term "genetic material" in that manner. Can you provide an example?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Can you reiterate?
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:43 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121539 wrote:
Genetic material never means anything that makes things happen. I don't know why you think that, and I don't remember reading where Aedes used the term "genetic material" in that manner. Can you provide an example?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Can you reiterate?

After I defrost the fridge I might have time to scan through Aedes' posts on a couple of threads. maybe he can let you know if he reads this.
do you accept Dawkins as an authority on Evolutionary Biology ?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:45 am
@memester,
memester;121541 wrote:
After I defrost the fridge I might have time to scan through Aedes' posts on a couple of threads. maybe he can let you know if he reads this.

So back to your reason for thinking that the majority of authoritative sources are incorrect in their definition of evolution.

What is it?
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:47 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121542 wrote:
So back to your reason for thinking that the majority of authoritative sources are incorrect in their definition of evolution.

What is it?
Do you accept Dawkins as an authority on Evolutionary Biology ? Can I show what he says about the gene and genetics ? It's not that in every sentence that they are equivocating incorrectly or without notification.

but you seem unaware of it going on.
If they say "the genetics", they often mean "the whole ball of wax" - not just the gene.
Dawkins struggle to define it so that he cannot be said to wrong includes identifying "the gene" as "anything that does what he says". Not just that one bit of DNA.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:00 am
@memester,
memester;121543 wrote:
Do you accept Dawkins as an authority on Evolutionary Biology ? Can I show what he says about the gene and genetics ?

So, because genes weren't known to Dawkins during the inception of the theory of evolution, we cannot infer that he was referring to genetic material when he proposed natural selection? And nor should we revise the theory in response to our new scientific discoveries?

Do you accept Newton as an authority on Gravity? He's long been dead, and we've learned much more about the force that he was postulating about. In other words, we have superseded much of what he has said.

As I said earlier, Dawkins and Newton are out of the picture in regards to this conversation. They may have had the child, but they couldn't raise it forever. Modern scientists are now the parents.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:06 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121544 wrote:
So, because genes weren't known to Dawkins ...

You're confusing Dawkins and Darwin.

But don't fall into his trap of allowing him to post some context-free quotes by someone who often muddies the water in terms of what evolution is and what it's remit may extend to (not deliberately, I feel, but as a result of the reception he generates).

Just stick to the scientific gestalt, if you want my advice.

Any single authority can be quote-mined to look silly - particularly if they like to hypothesise in a sometimes hyperbolic fashion - like Dawkins.