Definition of evolution

memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:20 pm
@prothero,
"common denominator"
declaring something "a common denominator" does not answer any of the questions.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
@prothero,
prothero;121344 wrote:
I guess my objection is not so much to the definition but to the notion that genetic mutation is the only cause or in some populations (especially humans) the major cause of evolution. If the blue eyed blonds of a given population decide to kill off all the brown eyed brown haired members of a population those genes (blond with blue eyes) will increase in the population for example.
[/COLOR]
Sure, but isn't that sort of what Aedes said?

What is common to all examples of evolution is the change in allele frequency - no matter how that change got there.
Quote:
I am just trying to make that point that there are a lot more factors involved in the process of evolution than just changes in gene frequency and that change in gene frequency results from factors other than the direct (cause and effect) survival or procreative influence of that gene.

Point made - but the only change common to all examples of evolution is allele frequency.

For example - one might say the allele frequency resulted from a meteor wiping out all the larger organisms. So it wasn't the allele frequency, but the meteor that forced the change.

But the meteor isn't anything to do with another population who changed due to genetic drift.

Or a third that were hunted to extinction by apex predators.

Or a fourth who acheived sapience and wiped one another out in an atomic war.

But what is common to all these examples?

You know....

So, in providing a definition of evolution "a change in AF" is the only thing apparent in all circumstances - whatever the reason for that change is.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:26 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121350 wrote:
[/COLOR]
Sure, but isn't that sort of what Aedes said?

What is common to all examples of evolution is the change in allele frequency - no matter how that change got there.
you have not defined 'Evolution" , so your talk is meaningless.

Using the definition Aedes asked for agreement on, ( biological change in populations over time) , does not show that allele frequency change is Evolution.

Any change is evolution, and we could know about evolution before we knew anything about genes. Therefore, for anyone to say something evolved (before we had any knowledge of genes), was to say that change - from whatever cause - occurred, not that allele frequency change occurred.

therefore, was every given example of evolution WRONGLY given previously? no.

biological change can occur without allele frequency change. environment causes drastic change.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:36 pm
@Dave Allen,
Yeah, I made much the same argument a while back.

Sorry you missed it.

Dave Allen;121298 wrote:
Sure.

The earliest proponents of electricity knew nothing about electrons.

One definition:

"Evolution describes how living organisms came to be in all our complexity and variety."

Is kind of equivalent to the modern idea of:

"Evolution is changes in allele frequency."

But the second definition is modern scientists talking to one another.

In similar ways - gravity is rarely spoken of as "a relationship between objects based on their proximity, density and mass".

But that means the same thing as "the relative heaviness of stuff".

I'm not arguing against alternative descriptions - but defending this one (changes in allele frequency) as apt (in context of biology).

Geddit?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:40 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121357 wrote:
Yeah, I made much the same argument a while back.

Sorry you missed it.

I'm not arguing against alternative descriptions - but defending this one (changes in allele frequency) as apt (in context of biology).

Geddit?
it's not apt at all. Drastic changes in populations happen without allele frequency change( frequency change , whether as the cause of change or not as the cause).
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:47 pm
@memester,
memester;121358 wrote:
it's not apt at all.
No. It is.
Quote:
Drastic changes in populations happen without allele frequency change( frequency change , whether as the cause of change or not as the cause).

What can you provide as an example?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:49 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121361 wrote:
No.
What can you provide as an example?
a population got fat and tall though better nutrition. diabetes increased.

you're finished without your circular definition.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@memester,
OK, well done. You really are smart.

Now provide an example relevant to the topic at hand perhaps?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121366 wrote:
OK, well done. You really are smart.

Now provide an example relevant to the topic at hand perhaps?
why is it not a change in a population ? it certainly may affect reproductive capacity and a host of other things. this could affect the group's success, without ever altering an allele frequency.

you now need your circular reasoning to say that only genetic change is change.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 04:08 pm
@memester,
Memester,

Take note that in this thread I do NOT "define" evolution as "biological changes in populations over time".

What I said, is the following:

Aedes;121272 wrote:
Point #1 -- agree / disagree / elaborate, please:

The theory of evolution describes biological changes in populations over time.
Nowhere in this quote do I say that this is the DEFINITION of evolution, or that it is MY definition of evolution.

What I describe in this quote is, in the broadest terms, the content of this domain of science, but that is not meant to offer a definition of evolution.

I introduced that because I knew that you'd agree with it. My invocation of allele frequency is something that I think will be inescapably reached when you delve into what "biological change in populations over time" means at a mechanistic level.

And as I've already acknowledged in this thread, allele frequency isn't completely sufficient because it assumes that all organisms in question have the same genetic loci. Considering that everything from chromosome number to ploidy to total DNA biomass per cell varies from species to species, alleles don't account for all basic genetic variability.

However, when speaking of the evolution of a given species, say modern humans, the uniformity of our genetic content and organization is such that one can speak of changing allele frequency within populations as the primary "structure" of evolution.
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 04:11 pm
@memester,
The groups relative success, or the lack of it, would be such a change.

Alleles contributing to changes in dentition, or gut, or metabolising of cholestorol might be advantagous.

Even behaviours previously associated with hoarding or competing over food might be altered.

But it's a hypothetical example rather than a real one - so who knows?
0 Replies

memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 04:12 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;121373 wrote:
Memester,

Take note that in this thread I do NOT "define" evolution as "biological changes in populations over time".

What I said, quite plainly, is that the theory of evolution describes biological changes in populations over time. That is in the broadest terms the content of this domain of science, but that is not meant to offer a definition of evolution.

I introduced that because I knew that you'd agree with it. My invocation of allele frequency is something that I think will be inescapably reached when you delve into what "biological change in populations over time" means at a mechanistic level.

And as I've already acknowledged in this thread, allele frequency isn't completely sufficient because it assumes that all organisms in question have the same genetic loci. Considering that everything from chromosome number to ploidy to total DNA biomass per cell varies from species to species, alleles don't account for all basic genetic variability.

However, when speaking of the evolution of a given species, say modern humans, the uniformity of our genetic content and organization is such that one can speak of changing allele frequency within populations as the primary "structure" of evolution.
so it isn't but it is ?

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 05:19 PM ----------

Dave Allen;121374 wrote:
The groups relative success, or the lack of it, would be such a change.
oh, so success is a biological change ? heehaw. success is an allele frequency change now ? what will you come up with next ?

Quote:

Alleles contributing to changes in dentition, or gut, or metabolising of cholestorol might be advantagous.
and they can occur without genetic change
Quote:

Even behaviours previously associated with hoarding or competing over food might be altered.

But it's a hypothetical example rather than a real one - so who knows?
I know. Population changes in dentition occur within a generation or so - widespread change, the offspring having a different dentition than previously born ones, changing at one time, so that it is not from allele frequency change. and that is rather well known.

that you do not know this information is not my fault. It's yours, Dave Allen.

It's called "phenotypic accommodation" - something obviously neglected in your education.
Quote:
ABSTRACT Phenotypic accommodation is adaptive adjustment, without genetic change, of
variable aspects of the phenotype following a novel input during development. Phenotypic
accommodation can facilitate the evolution of novel morphology by alleviating the negative effects
of change, and by giving a head start to adaptive evolution in a new direction. Whether induced by a
mutation or a novel environmental factor, innovative morphological form comes from ancestral
developmental responses, not from the novel inducing factor itself. Phenotypic accommodation is the
result of adaptive developmental responses, so the novel morphologies that result are not ''random''
variants, but to some degree reflect past functionality. Phenotypic accommodation is the first step in
a process of Darwinian adaptive evolution, or evolution by natural selection, where fitness differences
among genetically variable developmental variants cause phenotype-frequency change due to genefrequency
change. J. Exp. Zool. (Mol. Dev. Evol.) 30
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:03 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121350 wrote:
[/COLOR]
Point made - but the only change common to all examples of evolution is allele frequency.
So, in providing a definition of evolution "a change in AF" is the only thing apparent in all circumstances - whatever the reason for that change is.
Evolution is a complex process resulting from the interaction of multiple factors which results in changes in gene (or allele) frequency in populations over time.
When you define evolution purely in terms of changes in gene frequency in populations, one gives the wrong impression, making the result of evolution (changes in gene frequency) appear to be the cause of evolution which it is not.
So in teaching or defining evolution I would probably start with Darwin and end with genes, not start with genes and end with Darwin. That is my only objection.
Evolution is a process not an event or a result.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:16 pm
@memester,
Quote:
oh, so success is a biological change ?

See the word 'relative'?

Obviously in that context, it would result in a change in AF. Think about it - what does relative success even mean, relative to what?

Where does all this extra nutrition come from, and what happens if one population monopolises it?

West-Eberhard's paper is interesting, but even she admits that...

"Adaptive responsiveness to conditions in the
external and internal environment has long been
considered a universal property of living things.
Large subdisciplines of the biological sciences,
including physiology, endocrinology, neurobiology,
ethology, embryology, cell biology, and the molecular
biology of gene expression, study the
mechanisms of adaptive responsiveness, but its
significance for the process of evolution has not
been extensively explored.
"

So presenting it as anything more than a hypothesis at this stage seems to indicate you have more faith in it than the auteur does herself.

Also, check this out:

"The following model is intended to describe the
evolutionary origin of all kinds of adaptive traits-
morphological, physiological and behavioral,
whether induced by a mutation or an environ-

mental factor-at all levels of organization. This is
a brief summary of concepts presented in more
detail and with more complete supporting evidence
elsewhere (West-Eberhard, 2003):
"

What's the fourth point of the model?

"Genetic accommodation (change in gene frequencies
under selection): Given genetic variation
in the phenotypic response of different
individuals, the initial spread produces a
population that is variable in its sensitivity
to the new input, and in the form of its
response. If the phenotypic variation is associated
with variation in reproductive success,
natural selection results; and to the degree
that the variants acted upon by selection are
genetically variable, selection will produce
genetic accommodation, or adaptive evolutionary
adjustment of the regulation and form of
the novel trait.
"

Later she sums up the model, and notes...

"There is no conflict between this model and the
standard view of adaptive evolution as involving
variation, selection, and gene-frequency change.
"

So it's not like her ideas redefine evolution - according to her - and she doesn't think it can be divorced from selection along genetic lines and her model is based on that assumption.

She does propose an extra degree of detail in some cases, and it is an interesting idea. I'll give you that. Good effort.

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 07:39 PM ----------

prothero;121392 wrote:
Evolution is a complex process resulting from the interaction of multiple factors which results in changes in gene (or allele) frequency in populations over time.

The problem with this definition is that it isn't true in every case (what if the factors resulting in a change are not multiple, or even apparent as in the case of drift) and that it uses terms with no intrinsic value (complex in comparison to what - what timescales do we use).

I don't mean to suggest it's wrong - but I think the fat can be trimmed:

I don't mean to come across an anal twerp - but everything that isn't bold is either:

a) Subject to exception (complex, multiple, factors).
b) Implied by other words (change implies time, I think process is inherent in the sentence).

Yes - this alteration in AF is SOMETIMES driven by this that or the other - but if we are rooting for a brass tacks definition of what the biological gestalt say evolution ALWAYS is* - that's it.
Quote:
When you define evolution purely in terms of changes in gene frequency in populations, one gives the wrong impression, making the result of evolution (changes in gene frequency) appear to be the cause of evolution which it is not.

No.

AF is not the result of evolution - it IS evolution*. When you see evolution happen that's what you see.

Now - for pedeological purposes you might be very right saying it's not a good way to teach it - and I would agree.

I'd say talking about wavelengths of light is no way to teach kids what red, yellow and blue are. The practical application and degree of interest in such a veiw is limited. Better to get the paints out - say yellow and blue mix to make green - that sort of thing.

But it is what they are. Cherries aren't red - they just reflect it. But the kids don't need to know that until they grasp more practical aspects.

* In an attempt not to get caught out I'll supply a few caveats for memester - I'm not talking about the evolution of the airplane, or as it was understood in the 12th century, or necessarily suggesting that some or other hypothesis might teach us something new tomorrow. I'm talking about the scientific gestalt's understanding of the variation of organisms as I see it at the moment.
prothero

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:18 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121396 wrote:
AF is not the result of evolution - it IS evolution*. When you see evolution happen that's what you see.
Now - for pedeological purposes you might be very right saying it's not a good way to teach it - and I would agree.
Now you see I still disagree, respectfully because you speaking from an informed and rational position but:
Evolution is the process, AF changes are the result.
The process is much more complex than just AF changes.
AF changes in a population is not a process it is a result.
To reduce evolution to a result is misleading regarding its true nature that of a natural process not just in biology but in the world in general.
Maybe part of my objection comes from my overall world view being rooted in the primarcy of process or becoming (process philosophy) over "being" a result.
In any event I think we both understand the general conception of evolution; it is its semantics and presentation about which we are differing.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:59 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121396 wrote:
See the word 'relative'?
yes, I do.
Quote:
Obviously in that context, it would result in a change in AF.
because you insist ? is that the reason it obviously is so ? My group gets all it needs to reach it's potential, your group gets very little. My group is more successful in raising the offspring, and there are more of them.

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
now Allele frequency IS Evolution.
not change in AF, but AF.

gets funnier as it goes along

here's more reading

Saltatory Processes and Altricial to Precocial Forms in the Ontogeny of Fishes -- BALON 21 (2): 573 -- Integrative and Comparative Biology

this is not allele frequency change at all.

now here is a selection of Aedes quotations from this thread and others:

Aedes said
Quote:
Evolution, fundamentally, is population genetics.

Aedes said
Quote:
Biological evolution, we can probably all agree, is a matter of populations changing over generations and over time.

memester said
Quote:
so Evolution is "change in allele frequency, in a population, over time" ?
is that so ?

Aedes said
Quote:
Maybe not.

AEDES said
Quote:
Quote:

What I said, is the following:

Quote:

The theory of evolution describes biological changes in populations over time.
noted the shift from "evolution" itself, to the theory.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:08 pm
@prothero,
prothero;121409 wrote:
Now you see I still disagree, respectfully because you speaking from an informed and rational position but:
Evolution is the process, AF changes are the result.
The process is much more complex than just AF changes.
AF changes in a population is not a process it is a result.
To reduce evolution to a result is misleading regarding its true nature that of a natural process not just in biology but in the world in general.
Maybe part of my objection comes from my overall world view being rooted in the primarcy of process or becoming (process philosophy) over "being" a result.
In any event I think we both understand the general conception of evolution; it is its semantics and presentation about which we are differing.

Allele frequency changes, in a population, over time, seems like a process to me. The physical change in the organism is the result, the change in allele frequency is the reason. And the change in allele frequency in a population over time is what we call evolution.

I don't think this is about semantics. We are all understanding each other quite well here. I think you just don't understand that the above definition is a process.

In science, a process is every sequence of changes of a real object/body which is observable using scientific method.

Sound familiar?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:29 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121434 wrote:
Allele frequency changes, in a population, over time, seems like a process to me.
you may be speaking of the change itself, or you may be speaking of chocking up the ratios, when you say allele frequency change. But the change in frequency is not a process, is it ?

when these guys are saying population genetics is evolution, allele frequency change is evolution, they are speaking of statistics, change in numbers; not processes.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:35 pm
@memester,
memester;121435 wrote:
But the change in frequency is not a process, is it

Allele frequency change in a population over time is a process. Evolution is considered a process.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:38 pm
@memester,
Quote:
Aedes said: As Darwin presented it it DOES depend directly on genetics in that he says flat out that there is an unknown mechanism that selection acts on.

Circular reasoning again.

What if it does NOT depend directly on allele frequency change , but as Darwin presented it, as yet "unknown".

All you have done here is to make a claim. a claim that is not supported by evidence.
You make a claim that Darwin's presentation does depend on genetics in that he says there is an unknown.
and the unknown, is, therefore, allele frequency change.

geez. we discover something and that something must be it - because it was an unknown.Laughing