Definition of evolution

memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121548 wrote:
You're confusing Dawkins and Darwin.

But don't fall into his trap of allowing him to post some context-free quotes by someone who often muddies the water in terms of what evolution is and it's remit (not deliberately, I feel, but as a result of the reception he generates).

Just stick to the scientific gestalt, if you want my advice.

Any single authority can be quote-mined to look silly - particularly if they like to hypothesise - like Dawkins.
If he's not doing it deliberately, the reception he generates muddies the water?
all the more reason to not look into Dawkins' own words and see for one's self ?

nah, don't bleeve yer own eyes sez Davo. don't trust yourself.

and "so what" if Dawkins can refer to other authorities to support his notion ?

then take ol' Davo's advice, and don't listen.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:25 am
@memester,
memester;121550 wrote:
If he's not doing it deliberately, the reception he generates muddies the water?

Not always. I think sometimes he deserves his reception, sometimes he provokes it accidently, and sometimes he is deliberately misunderstood.

Quote:
all the more reason to not look into Dawkins' own words and see for one's self ?

I recommend Zetherin read some of his stuff.

I advise him not to have a serial context-waiver provide him with some "quotes".

a) Because Dawkins isn't the sole authority.
b) Whatever quotes you dig up will be from a body of work hundreds of pages long - as part of a career spanning decades - so the chances of presenting something apparently silly will be high.

Quote:
nah, don't bleeve yer own eyes sez Davo. don't trust yourself.

I'm not suggesting he not trust himself.

EDIT: Ah, more retrospective edits I see.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:34 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121555 wrote:

I advise him not to have a serial context-waiver provide him with some "quotes".

I had not noticed that an intentional relinquishment of rights, or it's written form, is providing quotes here. Must be evolution in high gear, eh, Davo ?
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:36 am
@memester,
memester;121556 wrote:
I had not noticed that an intentional relinquishment of rights, or it's written form, is providing quotes here. Must be evolution in high gear, eh, Davo ?

The opposite - as far as I can tell.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:37 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121557 wrote:
The opposite - as far as I can tell.
oh, you're waving. not waiving ?Laughing
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:37 am
@memester,
Dave Allen wrote:

You're confusing Dawkins and Darwin.

Oops, I meant Darwin! And I thought he typed Darwin, too. My bad, memester, I was talking about Darwin the whole time.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:39 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121559 wrote:
Oops, I meant Darwin! And I thought he typed Darwin, too.

nope. nor did I type "Richard Dawson". Wasn't he replaced by a "Gene"? anyhoo...I was lucky, I suppose; that has happened to some, in conversation with "The Waiver". coffee time, Z.

then the fridge.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:44 am
@memester,
memester;121560 wrote:
nope. nor did I type "Richard Dawson". Lucky, I suppose. that has happened to some, in conversation with "The Waiver". coffee time, Z.

then the fridge.

But I think if we said the words, "You win" to you, you would intellectually ejaculate. Am I right?

From where I stand, this doesn't seem to be a civil conversation at all. The way people are spoken to in this thread just seems condescending and brash, and I don't think anything good is coming of it. Do you?
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:46 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121564 wrote:
But I think if we said the words, "You win" to you, you would intellectually ejaculate.

Am I right?

just intellectually, Z ?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:50 am
@memester,
memester;121565 wrote:
just intellectually, Z ?

I suppose it's best just to let you have your last words with your archnemesis, Aedes.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:06 pm
@Dave Allen,
Quote:
Quote:
]Not always. I think sometimes he deserves his reception, sometimes he provokes it accidently, and sometimes he is deliberately misunderstood.

Oh, I see ! sometimes he deserves his reception. Like, on Wednesdays he deserves the reception. Or on "off days". Holidays, maybe.
..or does Dave mean "reputation" ?

Deserves his reception during his speaking of a sentence, or writing of a line, then back again to not deserving his reception, as he's being "deliberately misunderstood" later on ?

Leaves one kind of wondering "what about being genuinely misunderstood after his provocation of reception" ?
there are only the cases of Dawkins' deliberate provocation of reception, and cases of deliberate misunderstanding by the listeners, in Dave's world. Laughing

---------- Post added 01-21-2010 at 01:28 PM ----------

Dawkins on "gene" . First about his title "The Selfish Gene":

Quote:
...the word gene means not a single cistron but something more subtle. My definition will not be to everyone's taste, but there is no universally agreed definition of a gene. Even if there were, there is nothing sacred about definitions. We can define a word how we like for our own purposes, provided we do so clearly and unambiguously. The definition I want to use comes from G.C. Williams. A gene is defined as any portion of chromosomal material that potentially lasts for enough generations to serve as a unit of natural selection.

Quote:
I am happy to replace 'gene' with 'genetic replicator' where there is any doubt.
Quote:
I am using the word gene to mean a genetic unit that is small enough to last for a number of generations and to be distributed around in many copies. ... The more likely a length of chromosome is to be split by crossing-over, or altered by mutations of various kinds, the less it qualifies to be called a gene in the sense I am using the term.
Quote:
I said that I preferred to think of the gene as the fundamental unit of natural selection, and therefore the fundamental unit of self-interest. What I have now done is to *define* the gene in such a way that I cannot really help being right!

Noted that in literature the word "cistron" is often equivocated with the word "gene".
So in the first quotation, Dawkins can be paraphrased using that knowledge from authority, and so say that he is saying that the word "gene"
means not a "single gene", but something more subtle; as I said before, here is 'the whole ball of wax" being called something more subtle ( the "gene" that is not a single gene).

Note particularly that the less likely it is to mutate, the more it is thought to be a gene. that is because he is talking about something like the total effect of gene expression being the gene, rather than a gene in the molecular biology sense. It's "the genetics".

boing...he slides it in
Quote:
gene to mean a genetic unit
he's defining "gene" as a genetic unit - "the genetics" rather than genes as we have been discussing, the "genes" that have alleles, perhaps...or perhaps NOT.
That gene is not Dawklins' gene..sometimes.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:11 pm
@memester,
memester;121576 wrote:
Oh, I see ! sometimes he deserves his reception. Like, on Wednesdays he deserves the reception. Or on "off days". Holidays, maybe.
..or does Dave mean "reputation" ?

No, I mean reception.

It certainly corrolates with his reputation.

Obviously.

Quote:
Deserves his reception during his speaking of a sentence, or writing of a line, then back again to not deserving his reception, as he's being "deliberately misunderstood" later on ?

Try this:

Sometimes he's very good at what he does - being a sort of athiest-biologist celebrity.

Sometimes he isn't so good.

Sometimes some people moan about him being crap when he is.

Sometimes some people moan about him being crap when he isn't.

Sometimes some people harp on about him being great when he's being crap.

Most of the time your pedantic trolling is just a load of old blethers.

Once in a blue moon there's something interesting in there.

See?

Quote:
Dawkins on "gene" . First about his title "The Selfish Gene":

Ah - the quote mining - at last. Huzzah.

EDIT: Having said that, I don't think his definition is bad - he admits that there are multiple definitions, and that not everyone will agree with his, and then defines it for his purposes by his own admission.

Doesn't seem to contentious or dishonest to me.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:23 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121610 wrote:
No, I mean reception.

It certainly corrolates with his reputation.

Obviously.

Try this:

Sometimes he's very good at what he does - being a sort of athiest-biologist celebrity.

Sometimes he isn't so good.

Sometimes some people moan about him being crap when he is.

Sometimes some people moan about him being crap when he isn't.

Sometimes some people harp on about him being great when he's being crap.

Most of the time your pedantic trolling is just a load of old blethers.

Once in a blue moon there's something interesting in there.

See?

Ah - the quote mining - at last. Huzzah.

EDIT: Having said that, I don't think his definition is bad - he admits that there are multiple definitions, and that not everyone will agree with his, and then defines it for his purposes by his own admission.

Doesn't seem to contentious or dishonest to me.
it doesn't have to be showing dishonesty in order to make my point. His reception was your big thing. Not mine. I'm showing what he wrote.
As I said, the word "genetics' means more than the genes. It includes certain RNA and other things. Dawkins is more explanatory than most, ( Aedes has mentioned some of this, but won't go "all the way" as Dawkins does) delineating the differences as he is called out by his famous critics (such as Sewall Wright).
he indicates strongly that a gene is not a single gene...and does not rule out that the "gene" is a combinatory effect of several or many molecular genes, gene plus the regulatory things, or not even molecular gene at all.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:36 pm
@memester,
memester;121618 wrote:
His reception was your big thing. Not mine.

Not really, he's able to fight his own battles and I'm not a devotee.

I'm not a hater either - he's OK. Sometimes cool. Sometimes crap. A human.

Quote:
I'm showing what he wrote.

No, you're showing a tiny fraction of what he wrote carefully selected to support your agenda.

But he's not necessarily discussing evolution here, is he? He's discussing what prothero might call the cause - not the process.

He's discussing an honestly admitted to hypothesis (in the Selfish Gene) about the different ways genes ensure their propogation (his opinion, not necessarily my own).

Such a thing could apply as much to junk DNA as it might an allele responsible for a change in form, or whatever.

Hence his specification of what it is he is talking about when saying gene for the express purposes of that book.

It doesn't really change anything about the definitions of evolution given in this thread - and even if it did people would be free to disagree as Dawkins himself asserts.

The Selfish Gene is not a peer reviewed paper - it's an interesting set of speculations marketed as popular science.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:40 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121625 wrote:
Not really, he's able to fight his own battles and I'm not a devotee.

I'm not a hater either - he's OK. Sometimes cool. Sometimes crap. A human.

No, you're showing a tiny fraction of what he wrote carefully selected to support your agenda.

But he's not necessarily discussing evolution here, is he?

He's discussing an honestly admitted to hypothesis (in the Selfish Gene) about the different ways genes ensure their propaation (his opinion, not necessarily my own).

Such a thing could apply as much to junk DNA as it might an allele responsible for a change in form, or whatever.

Hence his specification of what it is he is talking about when saying gene for the express purposes of that book.

It doesn't really change anything about the definitions of evolution given in this thread - and even if it did people would be free to disagree as Dawkins himself asserts.

The Selfish Gene is not a peer reviewed paper - it's an interesting set of speculations marketed as popular science.
But again you evade the real issues. Why you keep harping on whether it is an honest explanation
Quote:
He's discussing an honestly admitted to hypothesis
is beyond me, if it's not your fixation.

Now to what matters; whether or not the same equivocation of gene and genetic unit occurs broadly throughout teaching literature.

and since you are continuing your claim of how I do it all out of context, why don't you put just one of them in "proper" context , and so "show me up" for what I am ?
from
The Extended Phenotype p.89
The Selfish Gene p.28
New version The Selfish Gene (1989) p.32
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:52 pm
@memester,
memester;121628 wrote:
But again you evade the real issues. Why you keep harping on whether it is an honest explanation is beyond me, if it's not your fixation.

Because you keep labelling it equivocation.

Which it isn't - not in this case - if he was equivocating he wouldn't admit to the numerous definitions before choosing one and explaining why.

He'd leave it undefined and flip from definition to definition without explaining why - using the plasticity of the definition to best make his case.

But instead he defines it before making his case.

EQUIVOCATION (From A Scanner Darkly)
A) My friend has given me a methadrine plant for my greenhouse.
B) I didn't think methadrine was botanical in origin.
A) Fooled you! I was talking about a factory you idiot!

NOT EQUIVOCATION
A) My friend has given me a methadrine plant, by which I mean factory.

Quote:
Now to what matters; whether or not the same equivocation of gene and genetic unit occurs broadly throughout teaching literature.

See what I mean?
Quote:
and since you are continuing your claim of how I do it all out of context, why don't you put just one of them in proper context , and show me up for what I am ?

I refer you to my earlier post, where I have written a precis of my opinion of the context of the Selfish Gene - not a scientific paper that passed peer review - but a popular science book to provide food for thought on some unusual ideas about the motives behind the behaviours of genes.

In other words - not meant to provide a definition of evolution in and of itself.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:57 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121630 wrote:
Because you keep labelling it equivocation.

Which it isn't - not in this case - if he was equivocating he wouldn't admit to the numerous definitions before choosing one and explaining why.

He'd leave it undefined and flip from definition to definition without explaining why - using the plasticity of the definition to best make his case.

But instead he defines it before making his case.

EQUIVOCATION (From A Scanner Darkly)
A) My friend has given me a methadrine plant for my greenhouse.
B) I didn't think methadrine was botanical in origin.
A) Fooled you! I was talking about a factory you idiot!

NOT EQUIVOCATION
A) My friend has given me a methadrine plant, by which I mean factory.

See what I mean?

I refer you to my earlier post, where I have written a precis of my opinion of the context of the Selfish Gene - not a scientific paper that passed peer review - but a popular science book to provide food for thought on some unusual ideas about the motives behind the behaviours of genes.

In other words - not meant to provide a definition of evolution in and of itself.
and how is that me taking the quotations out of context in order to subvert truth ?

I did already state that not every sentence contains equivocation and not from everyone, etc etc.

I never stated that The Selfish Gene is peer reviewed scientific literature. we all know it is not. Nothing shady about showing what popular ideas are.

definition for "equivocation" :

The same word is used with two different meanings.

whereas , of course, you are interpreting the meaning of "equivocation" as implying a dishonest or sneaky act in progress.
Quote:
He'd leave it undefined and flip from definition to definition without explaining why

I used this, as I painstakingly explained, Dave Allen, as what an authority says ( onlyfor that purpose if Dawkins is held as an authority, by my interlocutor).

GET IT ?
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:12 pm
@memester,
memester;121631 wrote:
and how is that me taking the quotations out of context in order to subvert truth ?

Well, what's the context of this thread?

And what has your objection tended to have been?

And what does Dawkin's definition of genes for the purposes of the Selfish Gene have to do with that objection?

Quote:
I did already state that not every sentence contains equivocation and not from everyone, etc etc.

You called it equivocation and supposed that such equivocation might bedevil biology in general.

Taking a word with many possible meanings and admitting that is a problem and therefore choosing one for your purposes is not equivocation.

It is the polar opposite of equivocation.

Quote:
I never stated that The Selfish Gene is peer reviewed scientific literature. we all know it is not. Nothing shady about showing what popular ideas are.

Popular science are not popular ideas - it just means presenting sometimes unpopular ideas in a format friendly to the layman. Dawkins thoughts on alturism (a primary topic of the book) are not all widely accepted, though they are respected by many.

In the context of calling the type of genetic unit relevant to evolution the allele it has no relevance.

Because alleles and evolution are not the subject of the book per se. Junk DNA and other exceptions also fall under it's remit.

So whether you were being shady or not - it's tangental to talk about this particular definition of genes/genetic material and crow about it not being an allele.

Because the author has admitted he isn't just talking about alleles.

---------- Post added 01-21-2010 at 03:15 PM ----------

memester;121631 wrote:
whereas , of course, you are interpreting the meaning of "equivocation" as implying a dishonest or sneaky act in progress.

-noun
1.the use of equivocal or ambiguous expressions, esp. in order to mislead or hedge; prevarication.
2.an equivocal, ambiguous expression; equivoque: The speech was marked by elaborate equivocations.
3.Logic. a fallacy caused by the double meaning of a word.

---------- Post added 01-21-2010 at 03:29 PM ----------

memester;121631 wrote:

I used this, as I painstakingly explained, Dave Allen, as what an authority says ( onlyfor that purpose if Dawkins is held as an authority, by my interlocutor).

GET IT ?

You could have quoted Dawkins on what his favourite washing powder is - and it would have been "what an authority says".

But it wouldn't be relevant to the topic at hand, would it?

Dawkins giving a definition of gene for the purpose of books that cover things other than whether or not allele frequency change is a fair summary of evolution is beside the point.

Unless you wanted to change the subject - but that's not something you broached, so I have to assume the fact that he defines genes in a certain way was relevant.

But you might as well mention his thoughts on Levis.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121633 wrote:
Well, what's the context of this thread?
not relevant. You were to show how a quotation was taken out of context, through putting it IN "proper" context.
Quote:

And what has your objection tended to have been?
You spit it out if it is your target as my objection. I don't need to try and guess what you are referring to.

Quote:
And what does Dawkin's definition of genes for the purposes of the Selfish Gene have to do with that objection?
observe that The Selfish Gene was not the only work quoted. The Extended Phenotype was written for his peers.
Quote:
You called it equivocation and supposed that such equivocation might bedevil biology in general.
bunk.show it. show what you are hinting about.
Quote:

Taking a word with many possible meanings and admitting that is a problem and therefore choosing one for your purposes is not equivocation.
of course it's not. How could admitting something ( unless using the same word in more than one way), be equivocation ?
that's certainly not the part that is equivocation.
Quote:

It is the polar opposite of equivocation.
no it's not. talking about, admitting different meanings are used, is not the opposite of equivocating.
the opposite of equivocating is the opposite of using one word in more than one way.
And that's not explanation or admitting something. You seem confused.

Quote:

Popular science are not popular ideas - it just means presenting sometimes unpopular ideas in a format friendly to the layman. Dawkins thoughts on alturism (a primary topic of the book) are not all widely accepted, though they are respected by many.
I didn't say popular science is popular ideas. try again.
Quote:

In the context of calling the type of genetic unit relevant to evolution the allele it has no relevance.
adding punctuation might help me understand that sentence
Quote:

Because alleles and evolution are not the subject of the book per se. Junk DNA and other exceptions also fall under it's remit.

So whether you were being shady or not - it's tangental to talk about this particular definition of genes/genetic material and crow about it not being an allele.

Because the author has admitted he isn't just talking about alleles.

right. I was showing exactly what Dawkins says about the subject, very clearly ,without misrepresentation, and interpreting the content of it exactly as you have.

And the purpose of my showing it, Dave Allen..was that If Dawkins is taken as authority - by my interlocutor - then I show as one authority, to start with.
Z seemed to bow out then, so I showed, to support what I had been saying I could show, if Dawkins was held as an accepted authority.

See? We had been talking about authorities , not peer reviewed works, Dave Allen.

You've twisted the purpose of my showing it, to say that I was supposedly purporting to show what peer reviewed literature says.

I was very clear on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin
Genetic material never means anything that makes things happen. I don't know why you think that, and I don't remember reading where Aedes used the term "genetic material" in that manner. Can you provide an example?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Can you reiterate?
Quote:

After I defrost the fridge I might have time to scan through Aedes' posts on a couple of threads. maybe he can let you know if he reads this.
do you accept Dawkins as an authority on Evolutionary Biology ?
Quote:
Do you accept Dawkins as an authority on Evolutionary Biology ? Can I show what he says about the gene and genetics ? It's not that in every sentence that they are equivocating incorrectly or without notification.

but you seem unaware of it going on.
If they say "the genetics", they often mean "the whole ball of wax" - not just the gene.

Perhaps you are going to stick with a claim that I cannot produce authorities' definitions and words of explanation on the subject, that I can only show peer reviewed literature.

I hardly see that that approach strengthens your case of dishonest representations against me.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:41 pm
@memester,
memester;121639 wrote:
observe that The Selfish Gene was not the only work quoted. The Extended Phenotype was written for his peers.

No, it's pop science.
Quote:
bunk.show it. show what you are hinting about.

"Now to what matters; whether or not the same equivocation of gene and genetic unit occurs broadly throughout teaching literature."
Quote:
of course it's not. How could admitting something ( unless using the same word in more than one way), be equivocation ?

Exactly.
Quote:
talking about, admitting different meanings are used, is not the opposite of equivocating.

Nope - you had it - but you lost it again.
Quote:
I didn't say poular science is popular ideas. try again.

"I never stated that The Selfish Gene is peer reviewed scientific literature. we all know it is not. Nothing shady about showing what popular ideas are."
Quote:
adding punctuation might help me understand that sentence

Capital letters at the start and full stops at the end are typical of properly punctuated sentences.
Quote:
You've twisted the purpose of my showing it, to say that I was supposedly purporting to show what peer reviewed literature says.

It's obvious what your plan was.