Definition of evolution

prothero

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:42 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121434 wrote:
. And the change in allele frequency in a population over time is what we call evolution.
I don't think this is about semantics. We are all understanding each other quite well here. I think you just don't understand that the above definition is a process.

"the theory of evolution describes how biological (genetic if your prefer) changes occur in populations over time"
versus
Evolution is the change in gene frequencies in a population over time.
Are those the same statement to you?
I think there is a subtle but important difference but I do not want to just argue or ruffle feathers, I comletely accept the "theory of evolution" even if we do not agree on the simplest possible defintion.
Simple definitions of complex processes or concepts always engender some dispute. I know you think I am probably either dense or stubborn and I may be both.
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:44 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121436 wrote:
Allele frequency change in a population over time is a process. Evolution is considered a process.

so if if my coin collection has more quarters than dimes, and then later it contains more dimes than quarters, my appreciation of the new ratios is the process we are interested in ?

I don't think so.

Let's whittle this down a bit.

You would not say that Population Genetics is Evolution, would you ?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:48 pm
@memester,
memester;121437 wrote:
Circular reasoning again.

What if it does NOT depend directly on allele frequency change , but as Darwin presented it, as yet "unknown".

All you have done here is to make a claim. a claim that is not supported by evidence.
You make a claim that Darwin's presentation does depend on genetics in that he says there is an unknown.
and the unknown, is, therefore, allele frequency change.

geez. we discover something and that something must be it - because it was an unknown.Laughing

Darwin has no reason to even be brought up, unless we're discussing the history of the theory or something. In regards to the conversation about the modern, scientific definition of evolution, Darwin has no place.

The definition has been cited, and most scientists would agree. And it is considered a process. I don't know what you're still bickering about. What else is there to discuss?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:54 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121442 wrote:
Darwin has no reason to even be brought up, unless we're discussing the history of the theory or something. In regards to the conversation about the modern, scientific definition of evolution, Darwin has no place.

The definition has been cited, and most scientists would agree. And it is considered a process. I don't know what you're still bickering about. What else is there to discuss?
That's not true, that there is no place for discussion of Darwin, as he spoke of Evolution, could identify it, and yet he needed no knowledge of allele frequency change in order to identify evolution.

How could he do that, if allele frequency change is the definition of Evolution ?

A definition has been cited, and that is what we are discussing. the citation is not the end of discussion, it's a start.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:56 pm
@prothero,
prothero;121438 wrote:
"the theory of evolution describes how biological (genetic if your prefer) changes occur in populations over time"
versus
Are those the same statement to you?

Evolution is the change in allele frequency in a population over time, and (note these aren't mutually exclusive) the theory of evolution describes how biological changes occur in populations over time.

Just as gravity is the fundamental force of attraction that all objects with mass have on each other, and the theory of gravity describes why people fall to the ground after jumping off of buildings (for instance).

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 10:58 PM ----------

memester;121444 wrote:
That's not true, that there is no place for discussion of Darwin, as he spoke of Evolution, could identify it, and yet he needed no knowledge of allele frequency change in order to identify evolution.

How could he do that, if allele frequency change is the definition of Evolution ?

He didn't know of allele frequency, he just knew there was something that caused the change.

What part aren't you getting?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:09 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121445 wrote:
Evolution is the change in allele frequency in a population over time, and (note these aren't mutually exclusive) the theory of evolution describes how biological changes occur in populations over time.

Just as gravity is the fundamental force of attraction that all objects with mass have on each other, and the theory of gravity describes why people fall to the ground after jumping off of buildings (for instance).

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 10:58 PM ----------

He didn't know of allele frequency, he just knew there was something that caused the change.

What part aren't you getting?
this part. you draw an analogy between "gravity as a force between objects, and The Theory of Gravitation describing events" and "Allele frequency change and theory of Evolution".

Your analogous set should be, instead, "Evolution as a force, and theory of Evolution describing events.

Gravity, theory of Gravitation. Evolution, theory of Evolution.

some people say "Natural Selection" is the force.
people can say anything they like, really.
You merely inserted your preferred definition.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:21 pm
@memester,
No, you misunderstood me. I was just noting that we can define a theory and state all the things it explains.

Prothero stated:

Quote:
versus

There is no versus. Evolution is the change in allele frequency in a population over time, and it describes how biological changes occur in populations over time. Doesn't it?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121449 wrote:
No, you misunderstood me. I was just noting that we can define a theory and state all the things it explains.

Prothero stated:

There is no versus. Evolution is the change in allele frequency in a population over time, and it describes how biological changes occur in populations over time. Doesn't it?
you keep saying that allele change is evolution, and indeed that is one definition ( Mayr). But repeating it does not make it true.

and no, Evolution does not describe. Neither does the process of allele change describe Smile
Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:27 pm
@memester,
memester;121451 wrote:
you keep saying that allele change is evolution, and indeed that is one definition ( Mayr). But repeating it does not make it true.

What is your reason for thinking it's not true? What is your gripe here? Do you not think it is an appropriate definition? If so, offer up a reason.

Quote:
and no, Evolution does not describe. Neither does the process describe

I was using the word "describe" as a synonym for "explain". Wouldn't you agree that the theory of gravity explains why I fall to the ground after jumping off a cliff?
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:29 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121452 wrote:
What is your reason for thinking it's not true? What is your gripe here? Do you not think it is an appropriate definition?
no. that's what we've been discussing.

Quote:
I was using the word "describe" as a synonym for "explain". Wouldn't you agree that the theory of gravity explains why I fall to the ground after jumping off a cliff?
theory explains. gravity does not. Evolution does not. theory does.

this is one difficulty we have been having here, that people are switching so loosely between terms and equivocating;

A/ Evolution IS Allele Frequency Change
then
B/ Evolution IS Allele Change

soon to be
X/ Evolution IS Allele
instead of
Z/Evolution is Change

C/ Evolutionary theory describes.
then
D/ Evolution describes

I say Biological Evolution is change in organisms, not change solely in the gene..which is mutation. Not solely change in frequency of such a changed gene.

and here's just one small exception

Developmental Biology 8e Online: Inheritance in Ciliates
Zetherin

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:30 pm
@memester,
memester;121453 wrote:
no. that's what we've been discussing.

What is the definition you propose?

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote:
theory explains. gravity does not. Evolution does not. theory does.

...you know we're talking about theories here...

You're just playing with me now. :surrender:
memester

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:40 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121454 wrote:
What is the definition you propose?

---------- Post added 01-20-2010 at 11:31 PM ----------

...you know we're talking about theories here...

You're just playing with me now. :surrender:
Evolution is change in organisms. That's the definition that is never proven wrong, never allows exceptions. I could say, for instance, that respiration is also correlated with every case of plant and animal Evolution. As you might say allele frequency change is. But I'd be more correct. Gene difference is not associated with every case of evolution.

It really depends on what you call "Evolution". If you start with saying evolution is allele frequency change, then cite allele frequency change as your proof, that's rather like saying that orange is a cat, and here is some orange cats for your proof. and then denying that other-coloured cats are cats at all - because they're not orange, as stated in the definition. Well, maybe not that bad Smile

I don't know if you saw this article that I edited in on the last page

Developmental Biology 8e Online: Inheritance in Ciliates
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:15 am
@memester,
memester;121417 wrote:
My group gets all it needs to reach it's potential, your group gets very little. My group is more successful in raising the offspring, and there are more of them.

Exactly.

Quote:
here's more reading

Not having a subscription, I've no idea what the article is on about.

Quote:
now here is a selection of Aedes quotations from this thread and others:

Divorced of their context, naturally.

---------- Post added 01-21-2010 at 07:17 AM ----------

memester;121437 wrote:
Circular reasoning again.

Weirdly enough - when two definitions are thought to be synonymous - people arguing that they are so are going to continue to compare them.

Unbelievable as that might sound.

---------- Post added 01-21-2010 at 07:21 AM ----------

prothero;121438 wrote:
Simple definitions of complex processes or concepts always engender some dispute. I know you think I am probably either dense or stubborn and I may be both.

I think you're contributions have been pretty clear-minded and justified, really.

---------- Post added 01-21-2010 at 07:32 AM ----------

memester;121458 wrote:
Evolution is change in organisms. That's the definition that is never proven wrong, never allows exceptions. I could say, for instance, that respiration is also correlated with every case of plant and animal Evolution. As you might say allele frequency change is. But I'd be more correct. Gene difference is not associated with every case of evolution.

Well respiration is common to all organisms - so there's no need to invoke it as common to things all organisms do to someone who knows what an organism is. Evolution doesn't happen without reproduction either, but reproduction isn't was evolution is.

Can the structural inheritance be divorced from the genetic?
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:35 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;121474 wrote:

Weirdly enough - when two definitions are thought to be synonymous - people arguing that they are so are going to continue to compare them.

Unbelievable as that might sound.
Weirdly enough, when shown that their thinking is wrong, some do tend to go on for while, whimpering denials as if that changes things.

Unbelievable as that may sound.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:42 am
@memester,
memester;121500 wrote:
Weirdly enough, when shown that their thinking is wrong, some are so obtuse that they do tend to go on for while, whimpering as if that changes things.

Unbelievable as that may sound.

I don't know who you think is being stubborn, but if the cortical inheritence is divorced from gene change, then of course I am incorrect.

I would openly admit that. I would also not be ashamed to do so, because I would have learned something new.
memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:45 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121501 wrote:
I don't know who you think is being stubborn, but if the cortical inheritence is divorced from gene change, then of course I am incorrect.

I would openly admit that. I would also not be ashamed to do so, because I would have learned something new.
Here's a clue: not you. :bigsmile:
that's just one example of how the notion that "allele frequency change is Evolution", is incorrect, outdated. I edited out "obtuse" , because I don't think that is the correct word.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:47 am
@memester,
memester;121502 wrote:
Here's a clue: not you. :bigsmile:

Dave inquired about it also, so it's not like he's not giving it thought (that alleles may not be the key).

I'm off to do some research on cortical inheritance.

Do you know of any other exceptions?

Quote:

that's just one example of how the notion that "allele frequency change is Evolution", is incorrect, outdated.

Interesting, I had thought it had to do with gene change.

---------- Post added 01-21-2010 at 09:52 AM ----------

My only other current thought: Are we sure inheritence is a part of evolution? In other words, perhaps inheritance has nothing to do with evolution at all, but is simply another way organisms can change (and, in this case, we can still call evolution the change in allele frequency in a population over time).
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121501 wrote:

Not according to that article it isn't.

It paints a picture of a possible hypothetical form of inheritence which is divorced from genetic inheritance.

But it doesn't look like they've confirmed that - even in a lab - it could happen divorced from the two different types of genetic inheritence the article also stresses as important.

If it was - that would be a working "exception to the rule" (as the article itself states).

So it's a possible exception - which the future may hold.

Which I admitted earlier would possibly exist.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;121504 wrote:
Dave inquired about it also, so it's not like he's not giving it thought (that alleles may not be the key).

I'm off to do some research on cortical inheritance.

Do you know of any other exceptions?

Interesting, I had thought it had to do with gene change.

the vast number of exceptions can not even be demonstrated, for the "allele struck" - because they have predefined them out of existence.

to fool oneself, one first convinces oneself that "evolution is allele frequency change and nothing else".

so therefore -by definition - nothing else can be.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:58 am
@memester,
memester;121510 wrote:
the vast number of exceptions can not even be demonstrated, for the "allele struck" - because they have predefined them out of existence.

to fool oneself, one first arbitrarily decides that "evolution is allele frequency change and nothing else".

so therefore -by definition - nothing else can be.

Your way of arguing is very strange. But no matter the method, it does appear you're trying to blatantly insult me.

I like it :flowers:

Ah, I see you edited your post.