child becoming worried and fearful over death

Kolbe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:10 am
@memester,
Haha, of course, it all makes sense now. Also, if you actually read into satanism, the religion itself isn't that bad. It's all about personal freedom, actually knowing who you are as a person and not being another brick in the wall.
0 Replies

Insight phil

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:11 am
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
And yet those who aren't strong with God do interfere with the Bible. Take the modern print, the King James Version. Written by the Church of England. A subsect of a greater being devolved via going against the very doctrines of the Bible. And oh, how everyone clings to this as the centre of all faith.

The trickery of satan is just an excuse to discourage thinking that is outside the churches doctrine, a way of keeping the masses under control.

Keep asking questions like that, and find the answers. You will be lead to the truth. =]

alright buddy. im off to pvp. =]]] great talking with you.
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:12 am
@memester,
Haha, fair enough, more of a raider myself.

And I still maintain that I've found my truth in uncertainty. I like surprises.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:15 am
@memester,
memester wrote:
When you read some other texts that didn't make it, it's pretty easy to see why.

Hares grow extra orifices every year, weasels are oral copulators, that kind of stuff Smile
Now if they had said that Corydoras species are oral copulators, they might have had a chance at the big time.

so close and yet so far away
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:18 am
@memester,
Faith in a nutshell :bigsmile:

I just realised that I need to be up for college in 40 minutes. Bollocks.
memester

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:54 am
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
Faith in a nutshell :bigsmile:

I just realised that I need to be up for college in 40 minutes. Bollocks.
that crap is easy. you just glue bits of pictures on a board to make another picture. no sweat.

hey, you guys make auto "garage" sound like "garredge", don't you ?
Kolbe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:07 am
@memester,
Or is it you guys that make garage sound like garrarge?
memester

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
Or is it you guys that make garage sound like garrarge?
trying to think of English words that have a soft "g" when it follows "ar" and is followed by an "e".
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:42 am
@memester,
Meh, tomayto tomahto (almost literally).
0 Replies

mindlink

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:35 pm
@memester,
The death of my physical body is inevitable. I don't see the point in being fearful of something which I know for sure is going to happen. On the contrary, my inevitable death motivates me to enjoy my life, right here, right now, to the fullest extent of my capabilities. I think that any other attitude or behavior would be a waste of my time and energies.
memester

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 01:19 pm
@mindlink,
that's one of the conclusions she came to independently. thanks. maybe it takes time to really become integrated.
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:02 pm
@memester,
From what I've seen these days, your child is actually really intelligent. My 13 year old sister fails to grasp basic math and your daughter is already delving into philosophy!
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:43 pm
@memester,
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/Bonaventurian/saints.jpg

"Lord, through Your Death and Ressurection, You have set us free. You are the Savior of the world!"

"I know that my Redeemer lives!"

http://www.handfamily.org/lazarus3.jpg
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:50 pm
@memester,
http://208.116.9.205/10/content/15520/1.jpg

Apologies, I couldn't help myself.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:57 pm
@memester,
Her child, if she doesn't know the saving name of Jesus, should be worried. For lo, God's name is proclaimed in nature, in our conscience, and in the natural reason.

Luke 19:36-40 wrote:
36 And as he went, they spread their clothes underneath in the way. 37 And when he was now coming near the descent of mount Olivet, the whole multitude of his disciples began with joy to praise God with a loud voice, for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 Saying: Blessed be the king who cometh in the name of the Lord, peace in heaven, and glory on high! 39 And some of the Pharisees, from amongst the multitude, said to him: Master, rebuke thy disciples. 40 To whom he said: I say to you, that if these shall hold their peace, the stones will cry out.
Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
@Bonaventurian,
*Sigh* Can you just read back a couple of pages, to what I was saying to Insight? It would just save me a whole lot of trouble.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 12:33 am
@memester,
memester wrote:
I was raised in a religious atmosphere, and eternal punishment for those who reject Christ was preached constantly.

My child, who is 12, has for months now been anxious about death, ceasing to exist, losing everything in life, and so on.

when she was very young, she once asked me when Granpa was coming back.
Her maternal Grandma had told her that he was with Jesus.
I gave her a story about death being the end of our present existence, and our bodies go on to pushing up the daisies and feeding the butterflies and so on, and so things go !
That satisfied her for maybe 7 years, but the fears have been strong lately, then subsiding somewhat, but she still thinks about it every day.

She tries to imagine infinity and the universe ending or not ending, and various other puzzles too.

One question is this: are these fears absorbed mainly from the religious family and society or are these fears something that any reasoning person would experience even if raised in a secular world ?

My fears continued for a very long time, and still are there, though I do not dwell on them as much as at some periods of my life. I rationalize that the religions I know contain false information, and so even if there is an afterlife or if there is a soul, I have not the information to make any rational decisions regarding them other than to reject those notions that others have presented.

My more pressing question is this: what kind of support can I give her ? Or is there any to give ?

thanks for any ideas !
You are a parent. You love your child. You only want the best things for her. Tell her that there is nothing to be afraid of. You are a parent. So is god. Forget and help her to forget all that other nonsense.

My girls use to go to church. Out in Arizona, they had a good time in church. When we moved to the "bible" belt, they went to church also. The preacher talked about hell. That scared them. I told them they did not have to go to church if they did not want to. So, they did not go anymore. I did not go either. They still believe in God. So do I. But now, they are not afraid.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 10:33 am
@memester,
Re:Elmud
I think everyone at some point questions or thinks about death no matter what kind of upbringing or background you may have, why I dont know maybe because death is inevitable, why did I fear the subject - because im not ready to die so I reached the conclusion that maybe I wont worry about it until I am closer to my death naturally. It is a good sign to question the universe and subjects alike as it shows the person posesses intellectual thought processes. Nobody really knows what happens after life, you can guess and reason based on what is around you, yes you're more than likely to return to the earth and push up daisies, if your soul ceases to exist and thus your conciousness than you wont know any better if you get what I mean. Where did we come form before we we're born then, (I mean our souls-where were they before we we're born?). If there is a an afterlife then that is great if there isn't than you wouldn't exist to be bothered by that, like before we were born. I was once worried about my own mortality but since Im not ready to die yet im not going to worry about it unil im much older and then Im hoping by then i will be, (for some reason and dont know what reasons), i will be less fearful about the subject and maybe more at peace with it?
I think the best way to answer a childs questions, (although I have no experience or children of my own), is as honestly and truthfully as you can even if you do not know as that is the beauty of independent thought, your child will make decisions of her own and is only asking you questions to seek the knowledge she does not posess, she is not asking you to know all the answers to the big questions.
Elmud

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 05:25 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
Re:Elmud
I think everyone at some point questions or thinks about death no matter what kind of upbringing or background you may have, why I dont know maybe because death is inevitable, why did I fear the subject - because im not ready to die so I reached the conclusion that maybe I wont worry about it until I am closer to my death naturally. It is a good sign to question the universe and subjects alike as it shows the person posesses intellectual thought processes. Nobody really knows what happens after life, you can guess and reason based on what is around you, yes you're more than likely to return to the earth and push up daisies, if your soul ceases to exist and thus your conciousness than you wont know any better if you get what I mean. Where did we come form before we we're born then, (I mean our souls-where were they before we we're born?). If there is a an afterlife then that is great if there isn't than you wouldn't exist to be bothered by that, like before we were born. I was once worried about my own mortality but since Im not ready to die yet im not going to worry about it unil im much older and then Im hoping by then i will be, (for some reason and dont know what reasons), i will be less fearful about the subject and maybe more at peace with it?
I think the best way to answer a childs questions, (although I have no experience or children of my own), is as honestly and truthfully as you can even if you do not know as that is the beauty of independent thought, your child will make decisions of her own and is only asking you questions to seek the knowledge she does not posess, she is not asking you to know all the answers to the big questions.

Kids need to be kids as long as they are kids. We all have to grow up sooner or later but, kids should not have to grow up too soon. And they do not need to be afraid of things. Not as a child. I do have children. And, they are not afraid. Not when they were young, and not now that they are grown.
manored

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 05:28 pm
@Caroline,
I got a line of though wich seens to indicate there cannot be a void after death. Off course, I cant prove it, and religions who got another ideas of whats beyond death wont accept it, but I will post it anyway. Smile

The universe starts with a paradox, basically something cant come out of nothing, but it came somehow. Well, skipping the paradox, if something came out of nothing once it comes again, and winhout a sense of time and space to apply to the universe itself I think we can say fairly safely the universe is infinite in both space, variety and time, although the universe we can perceive is not.

If it is infinite in these three ways, that means everthing will and is happening on it. This means that if we die, our mind will be cast somewhere else, for there are infinite chances for it to be re-used.

The mind also cannot be eliminated because we can only measure and perceive time with our mind. Time cannot pass beyond the death of the self less there is something beyond it, wence the conscience cannot end, because it is required to end the itself, that is, the end of the conscience would be a paradox.
0 Replies