How do you choose a therapist?

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 03:09 pm
My boyfriend wants to see a therapist. He had v serious addiction problems for about 10 years, and has now been off any kind of drugs for about 2 years but has decided it is probably a good idea he sees a therapist. He also wants to talk about his procrastination problem, his irritability and the fact he maybe has mild Asperger's syndrome.
I realise this makes him sound like he really isn't a catch! He is really lovely and has been very nice to me and he says he is a lot happier now, but these are the things he wants to work on.

Anyway, he looked at a list of therapists in the London area and there were loads and he doesn't know which ones to trust or go for or where to start really. Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks,
pq
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 10,001 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 03:19 pm
Call your local hospital and ask for a referral to an outpatient addiction center.

They will know who the good ones are.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 03:30 pm
From a personal standpoint, I would say that after locating a licensed therapist, it will depend on who he meets up with. I've been to a total of 4 and 1 was dreadful, 1 was okay, 1 was rather good, but, I was going through a personal descent in my life, partially related to alcoholism. The final therapist was a great fit and he was quite helpful. Helped resolve issues I had towards Mother, and my anger issues. Of course, it likely helped that I was ready by the time I got to him.

It was also about then, that a diagnosis of Asperger's was slapped on me...which I vehemently denied until I took a look at myself.

Additionally, it will depend on the type of therapy he is looking for. One to one or group? A therapist who gives direction and talks a whole lot, or one who allows the client to do the talking and arrive at realizations on their own.

Hopefully your gentleman will blend and bond well with the first therapist, if not, just don't give up, keep searching. Even with a therapist only a handful of times, he will be able to begin airing the matters of his life.

Wishing the both of you the best on this quest.
0 Replies