A perfect god can not exist?

Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155432 wrote:
That's correct. But not all actions are necessarily right/wrong or good/bad actions. The principle of bivalence holds only for actions that have a right or wrong character.
what do you mean by actions that have a right or wrong character?

Just to clarify my understand of the principle of bivalence, I understand it to say that all propositions must necessarily be either true or false. Basically implying propositions cannot be both true and false and that propositions cannot be neither true nor false. Furthermore It would seem that propositions cannot change their truth-value either.
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155425 wrote:
The trouble is, of course, that it is not clear that there are moral states of affairs.

Of course there are moral states of affairs. Why would you think there isn't? Are you "anti-realist" with respect to moral properties?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:56 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155430 wrote:
My point is this.....follow this example first:

Is stating something as better or worse than something else a proposition or an ethical statement?

Because if it's a proposition I propose the proposition, "It is always the case that raping someone is worse than not raping them" <---this would therefore be necessarily true or false and therefore would have something meaningful to say about morality(rape is wrong)

The point is I think it is possible to state an ethical statement in the form of a proposition which would then fall under the principle of bivalence and therefore prove that morals are not relative.

What do you mean by "worse"?
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:58 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;155436 wrote:

I think that's a poorly formed jugment.

It should be "raping someone is always morally wrong"
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:58 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;155436 wrote:

1 : of more inferior quality, value, or condition
2 a : more unfavorable, difficult, unpleasant, or painful b : more faulty, unsuitable, or incorrect c : less skillful or efficient
3 : bad, evil, or corrupt in a greater degree : more reprehensible
4 : being in poorer health : sicker

take your pick....I mean worse as in "more undesirable"

---------- Post added 04-22-2010 at 07:59 PM ----------

Extrain;155437 wrote:
It should be "raping someone is always morally wrong"
that's what I'd like to say but by throwing the word "wrong" in there he's going to claim that such a statement is NOT a proposition and therefore is not required to be necessarily true or false
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155433 wrote:
what do you mean by actions that have a right or wrong character?

Just to clarify my understand of the principle of bivalence, I understand it to say that all propositions must necessarily be either true or false. Basically implying propositions cannot be both true and false and that propositions cannot be neither true nor false. Furthermore It would seem that propositions cannot change their truth-value either.

Some actions are right, some actions are wrong.

And I don't see this alleged problem with the principle of bivalence with respect to moral jugments. Can you please explain?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155427 wrote:
sheesh. The proposition is not "Happiness in all times and cases is better than misery." The proposition might be better expressed "the intrinsic value of happiness is, in some cases, more valuble than misery." I don't think you need to be making it into a universal generalization about all times and cases.

And still, how you are citing Kant seems to be still construing ti as a Kantian Moral judgment, which I don't think it is.

Oh, I agree. Happiness is sometimes better than misery. But that's hardly the proposition you originally claimed was a necessary truth.
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:01 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155438 wrote:
that's what I'd like to say but by throwing the word "wrong" in there he's going to claim that such a statement is NOT a proposition and therefore is not required to be necessarily true or false

That's his problem. The statement "Raping someone is always morally wrong" is always true and is never false.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:02 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155441 wrote:
Some actions are right, some actions are wrong.

And I don't see this alleged problem with the principle of bivalence with respect to moral jugments. Can you please explain?
I just mean that if one can classify or phrase an ethical statement in the form of a proposition, then it would necessarily fall under the law of bivalence. That being the case it would necessarily be the case that morality could NOT be relative as 2 people on opposite sides(one thinking true, one thinking of false) of any propositions cannot both be right.

---------- Post added 04-22-2010 at 08:03 PM ----------

Extrain;155443 wrote:
That's his problem. The statement "Raping someone is always morally wrong" is always true and is never false.
And I agree, but in order to actually debate with someone who does not agree, one must attempt to use something which is ''legitimate'' within the other persons ''own system''
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155442 wrote:
Oh, I agree. Happiness is sometimes better than misery. But that's hardly the proposition you originally claimed was a necessary truth.

Not really. All I said was that happiness is better than misery. I take that to be a necessarily true value jugment about the intrinsic value of happiness. It doesn't matter if it is overridible by some moral and ethical principle.
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:06 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155438 wrote:
take your pick....I mean worse as in "more undesirable"

Well something like "rape is undesirable" sounds a lot like "ice cream tastes good". Some people actually like getting raped. I guess you could argue that if you like being sexually assaulted then it isn't rape but that just makes the "undesirable" in "rape is undesirable" redundant since you are defining rape as undesirable sexual assault rather than just any sexual assault. You'd be saying "undesirable sexual assaults are undesirable". Of course that's true.
0 Replies

Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:07 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155445 wrote:
I just mean that if one can classify or phrase an ethical statement in the form of a proposition, then it would necessarily fall under the law of bivalence. That being the case it would necessarily be the case that morality could NOT relative as 2 people on opposite sides(one thinking true on thinking of false) of any propositions cannot both be right.

No. The principle of bivalence does not hold for right/wrong properties. It only holds for the values of true/false properties of propositions.

---------- Post added 04-22-2010 at 08:03 PM ----------

Amperage;155445 wrote:
And I agree, but in order to actually debate with someone who does not agree, one must attempt to use something which is ''legitimate'' within the other persons ''own system''

Who said? I don't need to adjust my view just to accommodate someone else's error.

---------- Post added 04-22-2010 at 07:09 PM ----------

Night Ripper;155448 wrote:
Well something like "rape is undesirable" sounds a lot like "ice cream tastes good". Some people actually like getting raped. I guess you could argue that if you like being sexually assaulted then it isn't rape but that just makes the "undesirable" in "rape is undesirable" redundant since you are defining rape as undesirable sexual assault rather than just any sexual assault. You'd be saying "undesirable sexual assaults are undesirable". Of course that's true.

Amperage. I actually agree with Night Ripper here.

Whatever it is you're trying to put forth, this is not a view I would hold.
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:11 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155449 wrote:
No. The principle of bivalence does not hold for right/wrong properties. It only holds for the values of true/false properties of propositions.
Why? According to who? Right and wrong are just as objective as true and false. Bivalence holds for ALL propositions. That's the whole point behind bivalence.

Moral progress is impossible with moral relativism as is accountability and responsibility
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:13 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155447 wrote:
Not really. All I said was that happiness is better than misery. I take that to be a necessarily true value jugment about the intrinsic value of happiness. It doesn't matter if it is overridible by some moral and ethical principle.

If it is overridable, how can it be a necessary truth? True in all possible worlds.
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:14 pm
@Alan McDougall,
"Some things are truly wrong". Proposition or not?
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:16 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155452 wrote:
Why? According to who? Right and wrong are just as objective as true and false. Bivalence holds for ALL propositions. That's the whole point behind bivalence.

Moral progress is impossible with moral relativism as is accountability and responsibility

That's correct. Bivalence only holds for true and false propositions, not right and wrong making properties.

Propositions are not "right or wrong." Propositions are only "true or false."

Only actions (or events, etc.) are "right or wrong." To think otherwise is performing a category mistake!

So what's the problem?
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:19 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155455 wrote:
That's correct. Bivalence only holds for true and false propositions, not right and wrong making properties.

Propositions are not "right or wrong." Propositions are only "true or false."

Only actions (or events, etc.) are "right or wrong." To think otherwise is performing a category mistake!

So what's the problem?
because some things are necessarily wrong and some things are truly right. Thereby making statements like "rape is wrong" be true....and statements like "child abuse is right" be false.

if right and wrong are objective notions then they can be discussed in the same manner and I would hold for the same reason.....something cannot be both right and wrong. In binary something cannot be 0 and 1...True and false values can be aligned to these objective notions
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155453 wrote:
If it is overridable, how can it be a necessary truth? True in all possible worlds.

It's necessarily true, but in some cases happiness may not be pursued.

Just because a proposition is necessarily true, does not mean it is an absolute moral principle that tells one the value judgment made about happiness dictates that happiness ought always to be pursued.

There's a clear difference.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:22 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155454 wrote:
"Some things are truly wrong". Proposition or not?

Could you, in principle, build a machine that detected wrongness without simply hard-coding it with all the output values you want to register for different inputs?

We can build machines that measure height. We all agree in advance that the machines measure height. So, when we use the machines on something and they tell us the height, we have settled it. If you thought the height was different, you were wrong. The same does not work for wrongness.
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:24 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;155459 wrote:
Could you, in principle, build a machine that detected wrongness without simply hard-coding it with all the output values you want to register for different inputs?

We can build machines that measure height. We all agree in advance that the machines measure height. So, when we use the machines on something and they tell us the height, we have settled it. If you thought the height was different, you were wrong. The same does not work for wrongness.

Yes it does. If someone thinks "Raping toddlers is wrong" he is clearly mistaken. His conscience is not functioning like it ought to be functioning. Similarly, a blind disabled man cannot determine the height of a building. The conscience is the measuring stick in moral judgments, just as the eyes and the arms are the means to measure the height of the building.