A perfect god can not exist?

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:14 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155400 wrote:
wouldn't one have to hold such a position to 'legitimately' counter the arguments presented against thus far??

Nah, I just mentioned it because you mentioned relativism.

Take a look at -> Meta-ethics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a non-cognitivist. What you're calling relativism is listed there as ethical subjectivism which is a cognitivist theory. That's why I'm not worried about it. I'm not a cognitivist.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:21 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155401 wrote:
I agree. But remember, there are some who contend (a la Quine) that to say that all mathematical truths are necessarily true is false. So one has to appeal to likelihoods in order to justify what appear to be necessary truths.

"Happiness is better than misery" I also take to be necessary a priori.

Well, that depends on whether those who think like Quine are correct. If there are no a priori necessary truth then all truths are empirical (I suppose). But is radical empiricism true? Or even likely?

I don't think that the happiness of a murderer caused by his getting away with his crime is better than his misery would be if he were caught and punished. Do you? In that case, it seems to me that misery is better than happiness. And so do those who try to apprehend him, I suppose.
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;155404 wrote:
Nah, I just mentioned it because you mentioned relativism.

Take a look at -> Meta-ethics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a non-cognitivist. What you're calling relativism is listed there as ethical subjectivism which is a cognitivist theory. That's why I'm not worried about it. I'm not a cognitivist.
what makes ethical statements special that they aren't considered propositions exactly?

I tried to argue from a similar perspective about statements concerning the future and this was rejected by you

as stated on the wiki page: "If killing an innocent human is always wrong, and all fetuses are innocent humans, then killing a fetus is always wrong." Most people would consider such an utterance to represent an analytic proposition which is true a priori. However, if ethical statements do not represent cognitions, it seems odd to use them as premises in an argument, and even odder to assume they follow the same rules of syllogism as true propositions."
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:29 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155409 wrote:
what makes ethical statements special that they aren't considered propositions exactly?

If I said "ice cream tastes good" is that something that is either true or false? Why?
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:31 pm
@Amperage,
And how do you decide what is and is not an ethical statement and therefore not a proposition?

is the statement, "I will not wear a shirt tomorrow to school" an ethical statement and therefore not a proposition or is it not an ethical statement and therefore a proposition?

---------- Post added 04-22-2010 at 07:32 PM ----------

Night Ripper;155411 wrote:
If I said "ice cream tastes good" is that something that is either true or false? Why?
is that an ethical statement? Because I would classify it as an opinion.

Ethical statements on the other hand are right or wrong not both, not neither, and unvarying..
Moral progress and moral responsibility could not exist in such a world where morals were relative to the whims of whatever each individual wanted to think
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:33 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155409 wrote:

I tried to argue from a similar perspective about statements concerning the future and this was rejected by you

as stated on the wiki page: "If killing an innocent human is always wrong, and all fetuses are innocent humans, then killing a fetus is always wrong." Most people would consider such an utterance to represent an analytic proposition which is true a priori. However, if ethical statements do not represent cognitions, it seems odd to use them as premises in an argument, and even odder to assume they follow the same rules of syllogism as true propositions."

I think that the argument would be that if a proposition (or statement) is true, then there must be some fact, or some state of affairs, that make that statement true. But since there are no moral facts, there cannot be true or false moral statements. The attack on moral truth and falsity comes from the denial of ethical realism, the position that there are ethical facts or states of affairs just as there are scientific facts or states of affairs.
0 Replies

Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155407 wrote:
Well, that depends on whether those who think like Quine are correct. If there are no a priori necessary truth then all truths are empirical (I suppose). But is radical empiricism true? Or even likely?

I know. I was only over-preparing with an example from mathematics for a possible response of what appeared to be the implicit principle that only what can be subjected to empirical testing has a truth-value; hence, moral judgments don't have a truth value.

kennethamy;155407 wrote:
I don't think that the happiness of a murderer caused by his getting away with his crime is better than his misery would be if he were caught and punished. Do you? In that case, it seems to me that misery is better than happiness. And so do those who try to apprehend him, I suppose.

That's not the same proposition. "Happiness is better than misery" is still necessarily true regardless of exceptions to the possible (utilitarian) moral rule "Happiness always ought to be pursued instead of misery." This first is a value judgment. The latter is a moral judgment. See the difference?
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:34 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155412 wrote:
is that an ethical statement? Because I would classify it as an opinion

I think ethical statements are opinions too. The question is, why do you classify it as an opinion?
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:35 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;155411 wrote:

"Night Ripper likes ice cream" certainly can be true or false.

But "ice cream tastes good" is not true or false.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:36 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;155417 wrote:
I think ethical statements are opinions too. The question is, why do you classify it as an opinion?
And how do you decide what is and is not an ethical statement and therefore not a proposition?

is the statement, "I will not wear a shirt tomorrow to school" an ethical statement and therefore not a proposition or is it not an ethical statement and therefore a proposition?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:39 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155415 wrote:
I know. I was only over-preparing with an example from mathematics for a possible response of what appeared to be the implicit principle that only what can be subjected to empirical testing has a truth-value; hence, moral judgments don't have a truth value.

That's not the same proposition. "Happiness is better than misery" is still necessarily true regardless of exceptions to the possible (utilitarian) moral rule "Happiness always ought to be pursued instead of misery." This first is a value judgment. The latter is a moral judgment. See the difference?

No. I don't. It seems to me clear that some happiness is not better than some misery. And I appeal to Kant as my authority. His reply to hedonism was that undeserved happiness is not a good, but an evil.
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:39 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155419 wrote:

That's lame, right?. Statements (seen as assertive declarations about a given state of affaris) always express propositional truth-valuable content.
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155422 wrote:
That's lame, right?. Statements (seen as assertive declarations about a given state of affaris) always express propositional truth-valuable content.
why is it lame? It could be an ethical delimma for all I know

if you are going to start calling this a proposition and this not a proposition you must have a means to clearly delineate the two. No?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155419 wrote:
And how do you decide what is and is not an ethical statement

Ethical statements talk about right and wrong.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:41 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155422 wrote:

The trouble is, of course, that it is not clear that there are moral states of affairs.
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155421 wrote:
No. I don't. It seems to me clear that some happiness is not better than some misery. And I appeal to Kant as my authority. His reply to hedonism was that undeserved happiness is not a good, but an evil.

sheesh. The proposition is not "Happiness in all times and cases is better than misery." The proposition might be better expressed "the intrinsic value of happiness is, in some cases, more valuble than misery." I don't think you need to be making it into a universal generalization about all times and cases.

And still, how you are citing Kant seems to be still construing ti as a Kantian Moral judgment, which I don't think it is.
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155427 wrote:
sheesh. The proposition is not "Happiness in all times and cases is better than misery." The proposition might be better expressed "the intrinsic value of happiness is, in some cases, more valuble than misery." I don't think you need to be making it into a universal generalization about all times and cases.

And still, how you are citing Kant seems to be still construing ti as a Kantian Moral judgment, which I don't think it is.
"seeking happiness is right" is not a proposition, apparently, and therefore is neither true nor false

is stating something is better than something else an ethical statement or a proposition? Just curious

Because if it's a proposition I propose the proposition, "It is always the case that raping someone is worse than not raping them" <---this would therefore be necessarily true or false and therefore would have something meaningful to say about morality
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:48 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155428 wrote:
"seeking happiness is right" is not a proposition, apparently, and therefore is neither true nor false

That's vague. If you mean to say "Everyone always ought to be pursuing happiness" then it is a moral proposition with a truth-value (if you're not a non-cognitivist). Or if you mean to say "Happiness is more valuable than misery" then that is a value judgment with a truth value (if you're not a non-cognitivist).

Amperage;155428 wrote:
is stating something is better than something else an ethical statement or a proposition? Just curious

Value good/bad judgments are not right/wrong judgments. All statements express propositions. If it is not a proposition then it is not a statement. But I think this is a trivial verbal point to be made.

Amperage;155428 wrote:
Because if it's a proposition I propose the proposition, "It is always the case that raping someone is worse than not raping them" <---this would therefore be necessarily true or false and therefore would have something meaningful to say about morality

I agree.
Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:50 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;155429 wrote:
That's vague. If you mean to say "Everyone always ought to be pursuing happiness" then it is a moral proposition with a truth-value (if you're not a non-cognitivist). Or if you mean to say "Happiness is more valuable than misery" then that is a value judgment with a truth value (if you're not a non-cognitivist).

What's your point?
My point is this.....follow this example first:

Is stating something as better or worse than something else a proposition or an ethical statement?

Because if it's a proposition I propose the proposition, "It is always the case that raping someone is worse than not raping them" <---this would therefore be necessarily true or false and therefore would have something meaningful to say about morality(rape is wrong)

The point is I think it is possible to state an ethical statement in the form of a proposition which would then fall under the principle of bivalence and therefore prove that morals are not relative.
Extrain

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:53 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155430 wrote:
The point is I think it is possible to state an ethical statement in the form of a proposition which would then fall under the principle of bivalence and therefore prove that morals are not relative.

That's correct. But not all actions are necessarily right/wrong or good/bad actions. The principle of bivalence holds only for actions that have a right or wrong character.