A perfect god can not exist?

Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:27 pm
@pagan,
pagan;157654 wrote:
i get the twist of this but it assumes an exclusive objective perspective and value system for truth and falsehood. It is possible to enter another culture B, know that it is not wrong in that culture, and return to culture A.

That's exactly right. That's precisely what Meta-Ethical Cultural Relativism is claiming. It's a dumb assumption.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:48 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157636 wrote:
You're either completely dense, or too stubborn to think about what "all moral truths are relative" logically entails.

Can't you just state your argument instead of acting like that? What do you think you have added to this discussion with your childish bit of emotional outburst?

Extrain;157636 wrote:
Suppose you are a person from culture A. And suppose you are asserting the claim that "all moral truths are relative" within culture A.

It doesn't matter what culture I'm in because "all moral truths are relative" is not a relative moral truth. The claim that "all moral truths are relative" is actually absolute and not relative. I'm not sure why you think it matters what culture I'm in when I say something that isn't relative to any culture.
Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 05:35 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157669 wrote:
It doesn't matter what culture I'm in because "all moral truths are relative" is not a relative moral truth. The claim that "all moral truths are relative" is actually absolute and not relative. I'm not sure why you think it matters what culture I'm in when I say something that isn't relative to any culture.

That's exactly the problem. It as an allegedly universal non-moral truth about relative moral truths. So when uttered in cultural contexts ends up saying something it can't say about the truth value of moral truths in other contexts since the presuppostion of its truth entails a contradiction in that cultural context. There's no way out of it.

More techinically it looks like this with respect to (1) and (2). If "all moral truths are relative" is true, then the following objective non-moral/non-relative truths hold:

(1) "'Killing innocent Jews is wrong' is true relative to culture A" is non-relatively true.
(2) "'Killing innocent Jews is not-wrong' is true relative to culture B" is non-relatively true.

The crucial part of this Reductio is the supposition that MMR is objectively non-relatively true (since that is precisely the kind of Meta-Ethical thesis it is),

So if "moral truths are relative" is objectively, non-relatively true, then "not-wrong" as it is mentioned in (2) takes on the same cognitive significance of not-wrong as it is used in culture A, not culture B, because you are asserting (2) within culture A. Therefore, you are really asserting the following claim within culture A:

"Killing innocent Jews is wrong and not-wrong" is true.

But "Killing innocent Jews is wrong and not-wrong" is a contradiction relative to culture A. Therefore, "Moral truths are relative" is false relative to culture A.

That's sufficient to show the reductio if MMR is objectively, non-relatively true.
pagan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 05:42 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
night ripper
maybe there is disagreement over the words absolute and objective, and whether they differ and what they may nevertheless share. Like relative in general relativity compared to relative as in kin and relative as in relativist....... and relative compared to objective in general relativity.

The point about objective is that it is usually claimed as mind independent. Similarly for absolute, though they are not the same. eg absolute compared to relative in general relativity. In this narrative objective, relative and absolute are different, and it is an objective narrative that makes that judgement. When such a narrative looks at relativism it is judging relative and absolute in a generally non objective narrative. However, relative in the relativist narrative is different to relative as judged by an objective narrative. The objective narrative could define a second type of 'relative' to mean 'non objective'. In doing so however, does it stick with the shared aspects of absolute and objective in relation to this second type of relative?

Smile
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157681 wrote:
That's exactly the problem. It as an allegedly universal non-moral truth about relative moral truths. So when uttered in cultural contexts ends up saying something it can't say about the truth value of moral truths in other contexts since the presuppostion of its truth entails a contradiction in that cultural context. There's no way out of it.

The fact that you are still talking about contexts just means you don't understand what the issue is. Context doesn't matter with an absolute meta-ethical truth such as "all ethical truths are relative". There's no problem with contexts because context doesn't matter. Try again.
Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157697 wrote:
The fact that you are still talking about contexts just means you don't understand what the issue is. Context doesn't matter with an absolute meta-ethical truth such as "all ethical truths are relative". There's no problem with contexts because context doesn't matter. Try again.

No, your view entails a contradiction, namely, if MME is true, then it is false.

I'd rather accept the tautology, if MME is false, then it is false.

Try again.
Night Ripper

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:57 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157699 wrote:
No, your view entails a contradiction, namely, if MME is true, then it is false.

No it doesn't. Please show me how you start at "all ethical truths are relative" and get to a contradiction. You haven't yet, not using "all ethical truths are relative" as your premise.
Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:58 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157700 wrote:
No it doesn't. Please show me how you start at "all ethical truths are relative" and get to a contradiction. You haven't yet, not using "all ethical truths are relative" as your premise.

You must have difficulty reading. Get a some glasses.
This is just a waste of time.
Night Ripper

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:07 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157701 wrote:
You must have difficulty reading. Get a some glasses.
This is just a waste of time.

How old are you?
Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:07 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;157705 wrote:
How old are you?

Old enough to know contradictions are illogical.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:07 pm
@Alan McDougall,
In our minds a perfect god can indeed exist, perfection are afterall subjective.
Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:15 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;157742 wrote:
In our minds a perfect god can indeed exist, perfection are afterall subjective.

That must really hurt if god is in your mind.
north

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:23 pm
@Night Ripper,
god(s)

causes confusion , true ?
0 Replies

Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:50 pm
@Extrain,
"All moral truths are relative": For any moral proposition P, and any two frameworks S and W, ~(W)P and (S)P

Proof by Cases with LEM:

1 (1) ~(W)P and (S)P (premise)
1 (2) ~(W)P (and Elim 1)
1 (3) (S)P (and Elim 1)
0 (4) [(W)P and ~(S)P] or ~[(W)P and ~(S)P] (LEM)
5 (5) (W)P and ~(S)P (As)
5 (6) ~(S)P (and Elim 5)
5 (7) (W)P (and Elim 5)
1,5 (8) ^ (~ Elim 3,6)
9 (9) ~[(W)P and ~(S)P] (As)
9 (10) ~(W)P or (S)P (DEM 9)
11 (11) ~(W)P (As)
5,11 (12) ^ (~Elim 7,11)
13 (13) (S)P (As)
5,13 (14) ^ (~Elim 6,13)
5,9 (15) ^ (or Elim 10,11,12,13,14)
1 (16) ^ (or Elim 4,5,8,9,15)
0 (17) ~[~(W)P and (S)P] (~Intro 1,16)

So (1) is self-refuting.
Therefore, "All moral truths are relative" is false.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:25 pm
@Extrain,
How would you react to the sentence that all Moral truths are relative to our Universe if it was the case that there is more then one ? Smile

---------- Post added 04-28-2010 at 11:31 PM ----------

Can you prove an absolute frame of reference other then what you can know ?
Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;157779 wrote:
How would you react to the sentence that all Moral truths are relative to our Universe if it was the case that there is more then one ? Smile

You can say that, I guess, but it just amounts to saying every moral claim that is true in our universe is true in our universe.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:34 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;157783 wrote:
You can say that, I guess, but it just amounts to saying every moral claim that is true in our universe is true in our universe.

Yesterday you invite me to not let go this issues...Smile
...But its the case that the question makes one wonder...
north

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,

that above ALL , Humans survive
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:38 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Extrain

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:38 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Can you prove an absolute frame of reference other then what you can know ?

I don't know what it means to "prove an absolute frame of reference." Moral claims are not like this anyway, they are necessarily true across different reference frames, just like the velocity of light is the same across different reference frames.