A perfect god can not exist?

Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:18 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156421 wrote:
Why? Do you understand what that word means? It means that one is acting in a manner inconsistent with their beliefs. How are the following two beliefs inconsistent...

1. All moral beliefs are equally valid.

2. I don't like your beliefs.

I don't see the problem. Please explain it instead of just repeating your claim over and over. I understand that you think it's hypocritical. Why?
1. and 2. are not hypocritical. It becomes hypocritical the moment you try to impose your definition of right onto me.

If you physically assault me for something I hold as right or impose any sort of punishment or belittlement or ridicule on me, then at that time you have made the transition into being a hypocrite.

saying you don't agree with what I hold as right is one thing, but preventing me(or punishing or anything which de-values my position) from doing it is quite another.

I don't believe that any moral relativist lives his life non-hypocritically though. Which I find to be a strong indicator of the self-refuting nature of the position to start with.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:27 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156407 wrote:
Not without being a hypocrite you wont. If there is no objective moral standard then I'm not wrong for doing what he did(if I think I was right). And demanding others to follow your rules is simply imposing might makes right. What you think is right and what you think is wrong does not matter to anyone else besides you if relativism is true.

if you do not tolerate others behaviors then you would be acting hypocritical towards your claimed belief in moral relativism.

I placed quotes around right because for a moral relativist the term, right, only accounts for what each individual thinks is right; nothing more. I placed quotes around opinion to draw attention to the fact that opinion is ALL that matters for a relativist. Now can you follow effectively?

It has to do with even having laws in the first place. Even having laws in the first place is an appeal to might makes right. And aims to deter or punish those who hold different, yet exactly equal views. Thus the hypocritical nature. What you think is right is no more right than what I think is right. You have no more authority to punish me for what I think is right, than I do you.

But you are mistaken. The moral relativist does not believe that right is only what an individual thinks is right. That is subjectivism. The moral relativists believes that what is right is what the society at large believes is right. I thought that had been assumed throughout this conversation. It is strange that you should confuse moral subjectivism with moral relativism at this point.

I don't know whether you are talking about what the moral relativist means by "having a right" to do something, or what he means by its being right to do something. Those are, obviously different. There may be a right to do X, but it still may not be right to do X. But the moral relativist would think that, for instance, a person has the right to vote iff the society at large believes he has that right. And, the moral relativists would think that it is right for a person to eat people iff the society at large believes that it is right for a person to eat people.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:45 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156426 wrote:
But you are mistaken. The moral relativist does not believe that right is only what an individual thinks is right. That is subjectivism. The moral relativists believes that what is right is what the society at large believes is right. I thought that had been assumed throughout this conversation. It is strange that you should confuse moral subjectivism with moral relativism at this point.

I don't know whether you are talking about what the moral relativist means by "having a right" to do something, or what he means by its being right to do something. Those are, obviously different. There may be a right to do X, but it still may not be right to do X. But the moral relativist would think that, for instance, a person has the right to vote iff the society at large believes he has that right. And, the moral relativists would think that it is right for a person to eat people iff the society at large believes that it is right for a person to eat people.
then by your own definitions the only difference between subjectivism and moral relativism is the scale. Every argument I've made would still be just as valid by replacing individuals with 'a society'(whatever that is supposed to entail). For a moral relativist there is no such thing as "being right to do something" because right and wrong do not exist in the absolute sense. Right and wrong do not exist beyond what a person(excuse me a society) believes is the case.

Why should anyone subscribe to the notion that killing babies(or burning jews) is right if and only if a group of people have amassed and call themselves a society say that it's right?

And why should the rest of the world be ham-stringed by the fact that their view that killing babies is right is equally as valid as our view that killing babies is wrong? Given moral relativism, everyone else could voice their opinion that killing babies is wrong but without being hypocritical could not actually do anything about it beyond that.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:58 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156430 wrote:
then by your own definitions the only difference between subjectivism and moral relativism is the scale. Every argument I've made would still be just as valid by replacing individuals with 'a society'(whatever that is supposed to entail). For a moral relativist there is no such thing as "being right to do something" because right and wrong do not exist in the absolute sense. Right and wrong are do not exist beyond what a person(excuse me a society) believes is the case.

Why should anyone subscribe to the notion that killing babies is right if and only if a group of people have amassed and call themselves a society say that it's right?

And why should the rest of the world be ham-stringed by the fact that their view that killing babies is right is equally as valid as our view that killing babies is wrong? Given moral relativism, everyone else could voice their opinion that killing babies is wrong but without being hypocritical could not actually do anything about it beyond that.

The moral relativist says that what is right depends on what society believes. The moral subjectivist says that what is right depend only on what he himself believes. If you want to say that is a difference of scale, fine. But it is not merely a difference of scale.

For a moral relativist there is no such thing as "being right to do something" because right and wrong do not exist in the absolute sense.

That just assumes that right and wrong can exist only absolutely (whatever that means). Do you want to justify that assumption, or do you think I should just take your word for it.

Why should anyone subscribe to the notion that killing babies is right if and only if a group of people have amassed and call themselves a society say that it's right?

That is a good question. But I suppose the MR's answer is that there is no other correct standard for right or wrong.

And why should the rest of the world be ham-stringed by the fact that their view that killing babies is right is equally as valid as our view that killing babies is wrong? Given moral relativism, everyone else could voice their opinion that killing

Like the former question, I suppose that this is a rhetorical question. And your answer is that it should not be.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:04 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156435 wrote:
The moral relativist says that what is right depends on what society believes. The moral subjectivist says that what is right depend only on what he himself believes. If you want to say that is a difference of scale, fine. But it is not merely a difference of scale.

For a moral relativist there is no such thing as "being right to do something" because right and wrong do not exist in the absolute sense.

That just assumes that right and wrong can exist only absolutely (whatever that means). Do you want to justify that assumption, or do you think I should just take your word for it.

That is a good question. But I suppose the MR's answer is that there is no other correct standard for right or wrong.

And why should the rest of the world be ham-stringed by the fact that their view that killing babies is right is equally as valid as our view that killing babies is wrong? Given moral relativism, everyone else could voice their opinion that killing

Like the former question, I suppose that this is a rhetorical question. And your answer is that it should not be.
indeed, because there is sense in thinking that slavery was wrong even when slavery was legal. There is sense in thinking that we as humans have made moral progress since the stone age.

There is sense in thinking that societies should be held accountable for their actions by the rest of the world. There is sense in thinking that humans have intrinsic worth.

The reason these things make sense is because we intuitively understand that some things are truly wrong while others are truly right. Certain rules and laws are set in place to protect what is truly right and to prevent or deter what is truly wrong.

If tomorrow America voted to re-instate slavery, it would still be wrong. Whereas the relativist would probably go out and buy a slave since society deemed it was right.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:12 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156438 wrote:
indeed, because there is sense in thinking that slavery was wrong even when slavery was legal. There is sense in thinking that we as humans have made moral progress since the stone age.

There is sense in thinking that societies should be held accountable for their actions by the rest of the world. There is sense in thinking that humans have intrinsic worth.

The reason these things make sense is because we intuitively understand that some things are truly wrong while others are truly right. Certain rules and laws are set in place to protect what is truly right and to prevent or deter what is truly wrong.

If tomorrow America voted to re-instate slavery, it would still be wrong. Whereas the relativist would probably go out and buy a slave since society deemed it was right.

Legality and morality are very different matters. There is no reason to think this (Whereas the relativist would probably go out and buy a slave since society deemed it was right.) is true. As I said before, moral relativism does not imply that each and every person in the society holds that what is believed moral in that society is moral. It is somewhat difficult to avoid strawmen arguments when discussing this subject. But we ought to make every effort to do so. And also, try to avoid question-begging.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156441 wrote:
Legality and morality are very different matters. There is no reason to think this (Whereas the relativist would probably go out and buy a slave since society deemed it was right.) is true. As I said before, moral relativism does not imply that each and every person in the society holds that what is believed moral in that society is moral. It is somewhat difficult to avoid strawmen arguments when discussing this subject. But we ought to make every effort to do so. And also, try to avoid question-begging.
legality and morality are different I agree but at the same time laws are also a moral stance on issues where it applies. The fact that there is a laws against things like pedophilia, killing, slavery, etc, are clearly laws written on moral grounds.

I can only make so many arguments against relativism using relativism before I begin to make positive arguments for objectivism from that stance.

On the flip side, I've yet to see any arguments against objectivism whilst presupposing its existence.
Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:29 am
@pagan,
pagan;156355 wrote:

i get the sense that you really do believe this and therefore you think i and others think what hitler did was right. Actually, its our understanding of moral relativism being so radically different to yours that creates the difference here. Not our views on hitler.

You are self-proclaimed committed to beleiving the following thesis:

"Metaethical Moral Relativism (MMR). The truth or falsity of moral judgments, or their justification, is not absolute or universal, but is relative to the traditions, convictions, or practices of a group of persons." Moral Relativism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Therefore, you are committed to believing the mass genocide of 6 million Jews in the context of WWII Germany was Right since the culture believed that it was.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:40 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;156452 wrote:
You are self-proclaimed committed to beleiving the following thesis:

"Metaethical Moral Relativism (MMR). The truth or falsity of moral judgments, or their justification, is not absolute or universal, but is relative to the traditions, convictions, or practices of a group of persons." Moral Relativism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Therefore, you are committed to believing the mass genocide of 6 million Jews in the context of WWII Germany was Right since the culture believed that it was.

That doesn't make sense because it ignores the fact that he's a member of a culture which itself considers it wrong. Why should he forsake his culture and agree with another?

Anyways, I don't think we should conflate moral subjectivism with moral relativism. Whether or not moral truths are relative or not doesn't matter much because they are still subjective. They are mind-dependent.

Moral Anti-Realism > Moral subjectivism versus moral relativism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:45 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156426 wrote:

Ken, you are making up things. "Meta-Ethical Subjectivism" is right/wrong/good/bad relativized to the individual. "Meta-Ethical Cultural Relativism" is right/wrong/good/bad relativized to the society. The difference is merely scale.

Louis P. Pojman, and all ethicists, define "Ethical Relativism" in general as:

There are no universally vaild moral principles, objective standards that apply to all poeple everywhere and at all times.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:45 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156447 wrote:
legality and morality are different I agree but at the same time laws are also a moral stance on issues where it applies. The fact that there is a laws against things like pedophilia, killing, slavery, etc, are clearly laws written on moral grounds.

I can only make so many arguments against relativism using relativism before I begin to make positive arguments for objectivism from that stance.

On the flip side, I've yet to see any arguments against objectivism whilst presupposing its existence.

but at the same time laws are also a moral stance on issues where it applies.

I don't have any firm idea what that means, but with that is mind I would say that is true sometimes and not other times. The law about driving on the right side of the road instead of the left side does not, I daresay, take a moral stance on whether it is the right thing to drive on the right or whether it is wrong to drive on the right.

I suppose that the strongest argument against moral absolutism is cultural relativism. That in different cultures, there are very different moral beliefs and that they are in conflict as among cultures, together with the premise that there is no rational way to reconcile these conflicts, or decide among them.
Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:48 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156455 wrote:
That doesn't make sense because it ignores the fact that he's a member of a culture which itself considers it wrong. Why should he forsake his culture and agree with another?

Anyways, I don't think we should conflate moral subjectivism with moral relativism. Whether or not moral truths are relative or not doesn't matter much because they are still subjective. They are mind-dependent.

But it's possible for an individual to disagree with his culture. Are you saying this isn't possible? "My culture is right, but I don't believe that it is."--that's inconsistent.

"Subjectivism" is right/wrong/good/bad relativized to the individual. "Moral Cultural Relativism" is right/wrong/good/bad relativized to the society. The difference is merely scale.

Louis P. Pojman, and all ethicists, define "Ethical Relativism" in general as:

There are no universally vaild moral principles, objective standards that apply to all poeple everywhere and at all times.

Therefore, he cannot be both a subjectivist and a Cultural Moral relativist at the same time. That is inconsistent.

Cultural Moral Relativism says "Truth is within the crowd, not within the individual."
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:53 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;156461 wrote:
Therefore, he cannot be both a subjectivist and a Cultural Moral relativist at the same time. That is inconsistent.

Well the SEP disagrees with you.

Moral Anti-Realism > Moral subjectivism versus moral relativism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Read the above and you'll see that subjective vs. objective and relative vs. absolute are separate issues.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156459 wrote:
but at the same time laws are also a moral stance on issues where it applies.

I don't have any firm idea what that means, but with that is mind I would say that is true sometimes and not other times. The law about driving on the right side of the road instead of the left side does not, I daresay, take a moral stance on whether it is the right thing to drive on the right or whether it is wrong to drive on the right.

I suppose that the strongest argument against moral absolutism is cultural relativism. That in different cultures, there are very different moral beliefs and that they are in conflict as among cultures, together with the premise that there is no rational way to reconcile these conflicts, or decide among them.
It really doesn't matter if all laws are constructed on moral grounds, only that any are. And as you have agreed, some are. This fact alone shows that we place a higher(not equal) value on certain moral stances vs others by punishing those who do not hold the same value that we do.

as I said, given the presupposition of objectivism, cutural relativism means nothing beyond what one cultures thinks is right is not necessarily the case.

And in terms of deciding among them, it may be difficult, yes, but I think time and an open mind/heart can be 2 helping factors. Time because given time we can actually observe a culture realize the rightness or wrongness of their own position and progress accordingly(slavery acceptable progressed to slavery is wrong for example). And an open mind/heart to have the ability to see the argument from the other side so that we can more objectively decide.
0 Replies

Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156465 wrote:
Well the SEP disagrees with you.

Read the above and you'll see that subjective vs. objective and relative vs. absolute are separate issues.

Of course. sheesh, get a brain.

One can certainly be a subjective anti-realist or subject realist.

Subjective anti-realism would say all self-made moral judgments about oneself are literally false, because it is a cognitive thesis.

Subjective realism would say some self-made moral judgments about oneself are either true or false because it is still a cognitive thesis. This would be aptly called "subjective relativism."

Anyhow, I don't see how any of this is an objection to what I said.

ARe you telling me it is impossible for someone to disagree with his culture? Of course it is possible.

So, a cultural moral relativist has the following self-inconsistency to contend with.

"My culture is right, but I don't believe that it is."
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:51 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;156467 wrote:
Anyhow, I don't see how any of this is an objection to what I said.

You said you can't be a subjectivist and relativist at the same time. SEP disagrees with you and I think it's because you are using the terms differently than they are.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 01:35 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;156467 wrote:

"My culture is right, but I don't believe that it is."

First of all. the statement is not inconsistent. It could be true, in fact. My culture might be right, and I not believe it is. In the second place, a moral relativist might say that, meaning that his culture at large believes that X is right, but he does not happen to agree with his culture at this time. As I said, moral relativism does not imply that each and every member of a culture agrees with the prevailing belief of the culture.
0 Replies

pagan

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 02:53 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;156395 wrote:

OK suppose you didn't infer that. The fact remains that if you're going to attempt to make logical arguments, then you ought to avoid logical fallacies. If you're not going to make logical arguments simply say, you're right and I'm wrong and be done with it(quite a strange view anyway for a relativist). If I thought morality was objective wouldn't I be right? Or worse yet if I thought everyone was wrong about relativism wouldn't I be right?

logical fallacies can arise for more than one reason. It can be an inadequacy in the definition of terms. (ambiguity, incompleteness, holism). It can arise for sure due to faulty reasoning. It can arise and be a meaningful sign of incorrectness.

"If I thought morality was objective wouldn't I be right?"

.....well what exactly does that phrase mean? That morality is completely objective? That morality includes objectivity? Or then again in the face of two conflicting moral considerations where the objective differs from the subjective, why can't both be right? Therefore a choice has to be made between two rights. Conflicting rights abound in culture. Morality is not rationally simple, it is diverse and includes diversity of context.

"If you're not going to make logical arguments simply say, you're right and I'm wrong and be done with it(quite a strange view anyway for a relativist)."

.... well why not also include the possibility of i am right and you are right when we consider our different contexts. And this does not negate conflict and taking a stand. Relativism is not rampant tolerance to the extreme. There are plenty of ways and degrees to disagree with someone even when as a relativist you recognise the circumstance, character and corresponding explanation of the person/institution you disagree with. Those factors are included in any feeling and decision to act or not.

The rejection of absolute morality (even as a possibility) is the recognition of culture, character and circumstance in a moral situation. That includes an awareness of your own culture, character and circumstance. We are not machines. We are part of a changing world where the subjective within and between us is recognised more and more as changing as we gain experience of life. We look back on our old selves and sometimes see someone we disagree with.

We are shaped by our customs and language, even in the decision to reject them. We are not seperate morally speaking. Nor can morality be seperated out entirely from the group in a rationally complete manner. Even the acceptance of moral principles being seperated out in law and by objectivity, is itself a socially/personal moral decision. This is moral relativism. It may look messy to a mathematician or lawyer ..... but so what?

The key is to place a moral value on diversity. That includes other means of judgement than objective truth (which is often not available). It is not a complete rejection of all objectivity, since that would be extremist itself ..... quite apart from creating an emotional chaos. Besides, we are reasonable and emotional beings.
Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 03:47 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156473 wrote:
You said you can't be a subjectivist and relativist at the same time. SEP disagrees with you and I think it's because you are using the terms differently than they are.

You only *think* I am using the terms differently? How so? Perhaps my distinctions are more fine-grained than Stanford's? I certainly wouldn't disagree with it. You still haven't told me why I am wrong.

Subjective/objective--specifies truth-character of moral judgments.
Relative/non-relative--specifies the domain of moral judgments.
Absolute/non-absolute--specifies the context of moral judments.
Realism/anti-realism--specifies the ontology of moral properties.
cognitive/non-cognitive--specifies the content of moral judgments.

These are different distinctions to be made, but I've noticed many philosophers will use them interchangeably.

Subjective Relativism is, by default, not absolute and anti-realist, and can either be cognitive or non-cognitive.

Cultural Moral Relativism, on the other hand, can either be cognitive/non-cognitive, absolute/non-absolute, realist/anti-realist.

Some contend CMR can be objective. I would disagree. Although not explicitly contradictory--it is surely a senselss oxymoron to be making as Amp and myself have pointed out to Kennethamy. So it seems CMR is by default subjective.

Also, some contend CMR is, by default, not absolute. But I think this a confusion between specifying the domain and context of moral judgments made. Both subjectivists and objectivists can be absolutists or non-absolutists. "Absolutism" says that moral principles are never overridable by context. Surely, one can be a Moral Relativist and also an absolutist. Just as one can be an objectivist, and non-absolutist. And I've already pointed out how this works in this thread.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 03:48 pm
@pagan,
pagan;156507 wrote:
The key is to place a moral value on diversity. That includes other means of judgement than objective truth (which is often not available). It is not a complete rejection of all objectivity, since that would be extremist itself ..... quite apart from creating an emotional chaos. Besides, we are reasonable and emotional beings.
Your overall sentiment seems to be diversity for diversity's sake. But I don't see why that is necessarily a good thing. For example, following that logic it would actually be worse to live a world where no one thought killing babies was wrong vs. living in a world where a few societies thought it was hunky dory.

The problem with diversity for diversity's sake is that you are placing the emphasis on diversity over all else. If we applied this to any other facet of life it's conceivable that we might be sacrificing quality and value for something which brings nothing to the table other than difference. Why should anyone sacrifice quality and value for something with no benefit of its own? Not to mention such a position could not be objectively true lest it refute relativism so diversity for diversity's sake would merely be your opinion and ought not be deemed any more important that than any other opinion.