A perfect god can not exist?

Night Ripper

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:38 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;156272 wrote:
Just as the consequences of "do the right thing" are doing the right thing, so the consequences of "if it feels good, do it" are doing whatever feels good.

Are you telling me that it would feel good to rape and murder but you don't do it because it's simply not right? I think that whether or not you do these things, the mere fact that they would feel good to you makes you a sick person.

Anyways, the fact that some people out there are monsters just gives the rest of us a chance to be heroes. You can do whatever feels good to you, raping toddlers perhaps, and I will do whatever feels good to me, lynching toddler rapists. That's a world I can live with.
Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 12:10 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156281 wrote:
Are you telling me that it would feel good to rape and murder but you don't do it because it's simply not right?

lol. no....sheesh. It is a fact that it is repulsive because it is wrong. But it is false that I find it repulsive merely because I think it is wrong.

If objective moral principles exist, then it necessarily follows that you, on the other hand, think that if it feels good to rape toddlers, then it is ok to rape toddlers. And you hold that if someone believes it is ok to rape toddlers then it is ok to rape toddlers.

I think that whether or not you do these things, the mere fact that they would feel good to you makes you a sick person.

I did not say it would "feel good to me." You're sick.

Anyways, the fact that some people out there are monsters just gives the rest of us a chance to be heroes.

What moral reason does a person without a morality have to be a hero if he doesn't believe that objective value and intrinsic worth belongs to the human being in reality? And further, which humanitarian heros in history have, in fact, ever denied the existence of the intrinsic worth of the human being? The great individuals that I know of are all staunch moral objectivists, and we can sit here and list them all day long.

You can do whatever feels good to you, raping toddlers perhaps, and I will do whatever feels good to me, lynching toddler rapists. That's a world I can live with.

You attack people because you lack reasoned arguments. You've been doing this from the start and refuse to engage sensibly and rationally.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 12:21 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;156302 wrote:
What moral reason does a person without a morality have to be a hero if he doesn't believe that objective value and intrinsic worth belongs to the human being in reality?

Who sad anything about lacking morality? I have my own feelings on morality but I'm not foolish enough to think that they are anything more than feelings.
wayne

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 12:25 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156266 wrote:
My argument is, show me an objective standard for assessing the truth of a moral proposition. That you simply propose something is an objective standard does not make it one.

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you"

If we are to assess this proposition by it's relation to "harmony" would that not be an objective standard.
Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 12:41 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156262 wrote:
Pragmatic skepticism. I really can't do without some beliefs, such as the belief that I will not suddenly fall through the floor if I take another step. It's not a justified true belief but it's a chance I take because it's useful to do so. I can get around and it seems to work rather well. What does belief in objective moral truth offer me? Nothing.

Night Ripper;156304 wrote:
Who sad anything about lacking morality? I have my own feelings on morality but I'm not foolish enough to think that they are anything more than feelings.

Pragmatic skeptcism. We really can't do without some moral beliefs which are useful, such as moral objectivism. Most (if not all) humanitarian heroes in history, and great influential thinkers who called for moral reform and revolutionary change in society, have believed in some kind of objective moral truth and instrinsic worth and dignity of the human being. I don't know of any self-proclaimed moral relativists, or non-cognitivists for that matter, who ever had this kind of influence on either the moral conditions of society or whose writings continue to be of inspiration to so many others such as,

Gandhi
M. Theresa
Oskar Schindler (WWI Germany)
Per Anger (WWII Germany)
Fr. Max Kolbe (WWII Germany)
Pope Pius XII (WWII Germany)
Martin Luther King
The Dalai Lama
Princess Diana
Thomas Jefferson
Abe Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt
Helen Keller
Plato/Socrates/Aristotle
Jesus Christ
Confucius
Lao Tzu
Albert Schweitzer

The list goes on..

And of course there are moral objectivists who were very terrible individuals too. But who has it been that has reformed the unjust institutions created by these terrible individuals? It has always been other moral objectivists, simply because the attitude of moral relativists (such as your own) doesn't give you any sufficient moral reason to change the moral conditions in your society since, to be consistent with your own belief that values are relative to culture, whatever the culture says ought to hold for that culture, necessarily holds for you, too, since the culture is right and you thus have believe that it is, even if you disagree with your own culture in secret--so you believe both that your culture is right (Meta-Ethical Relativism) and simultaneously not believe that? You must be both a cognitive and non-cognitive mess.

My point is that I just don't know of the so-called "pragmatic worth" of believing in Moral Relativism whatsoever. So if pragmatic arguments are good reasons for staking your position on the Ethics Map one way rather than another, then you have more reason, all things considered, to be a moral objectivist than a moral relativist.

Here is a passage directly from Mussolini, a self-proclaimed moral relativist.
Did you know Ted Bundy was a self-proclaimed moral relativist too--not to mention Charles Manson??

"Everything I have said and done is these last years is relativism, by intuition. From the fact that all ideologies are of equal value, that all ideologies are mere fictions, the modern relativist infers that everybody has the right to create for himself his own ideology, and to attempt to enforce it with all the energy of which he is capable. If relativism signifies contempt for fixed categories, and men who claim to be the bearers of an objective immortal truth, then there is nothing more relativistic than fascism." -Benito Mussolini
Extrain

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 02:45 am
@Extrain,
ah ha! Here is a potentially self-refuting inconsistency with Meta-Ethical Relativism.

The M.E. Relativist contends that whatever a culture believes with regard to moral principles is right. But it is also certainly possible for him to disagree with what his own culture thinks is right. So he both believes and doesn't believe that his culture is right?

"My culture is right, but I don't believe that it is".....lol

This is a classic instance of cognitive dissociation!
pagan

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 04:53 am
@Extrain,
amperage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
whats necessarily wrong with logical fallacies? Morality isn't all logic. It is often conflictory. eg loyalty versus truth. Both have moral value. Neither can be given an absolute numerical ranking.

So then you think some things have to be taken on faith(since we can't use logic)? A notion most naturalists on this forum consider utterly preposterous. btw have you not been attempting to make logical arguments throughout this thread? So yeah, there is a problem with you making logical fallacies.
where are on earth did i say that logic is of no worth in morality??? what i said was that logic is far from being a complete method for morality. Moreover to construct the reaction that if it isn't logic it must be faith is a tad simplistic and extreme isn't it??? What about memory, experience, anecdotal evidence, intuition, loyalty, suspicion and so on?

My writings on this thread and throughout this forum place high value on reason and logic. Why do people veer from one extreme to the other so readily. ALL FOR. NO? THEN LOGICALLY ALL AGAINST! This is just simplistic to the point of a knee jerk in the brain..... and as such contradicts reason by its own terms through its own expression.

Quote:
I'm quite curious to your thoughts on faith vs. reason. Because your argument seems to hinge on the idea that logic has no place in morality and that there is value in believing something that is not true.
believe me i am the one more curious to your thoughts. As someone who recognises the postmodern observation that the reader takes power of authorship away from the writer, i can see what has happened here to some extent. But it is curious nonetheless.

'''''''''''''''''

entrain

Quote:
Moral relativism abandons reason. It is committed to saying that WWII Germany's mass genocide of 6 million Jews was right within the context of Germany.
i get the sense that you really do believe this and therefore you think i and others think what hitler did was right. Actually, its our understanding of moral relativism being so radically different to yours that creates the difference here. Not our views on hitler.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:04 am
@wayne,
wayne;156305 wrote:
"Do unto others as you would have done unto you"

If we are to assess this proposition by it's relation to "harmony" would that not be an objective standard.

What objective standard means is "a standard that exists objectively". For example, the height of the Statue of Liberty is something that exists objectively. It exists independently regardless of what anyone thinks about it.

---------- Post added 04-25-2010 at 08:06 AM ----------

Extrain;156308 wrote:
Pragmatic skeptcism. We really can't do without some moral beliefs which are useful, such as moral objectivism. Most (if not all) humanitarian heroes in history, and great influential thinkers who called for moral reform and revolutionary change in society, have believed in some kind of objective moral truth and instrinsic worth and dignity of the human being. I don't know of any self-proclaimed moral relativists, or non-cognitivists for that matter, who ever had this kind of influence on either the moral conditions of society or whose writings continue to be of inspiration to so many others such as,

Gandhi
M. Theresa
Oskar Schindler (WWI Germany)
Per Anger (WWII Germany)
Fr. Max Kolbe (WWII Germany)
Pope Pius XII (WWII Germany)
Martin Luther King
The Dalai Lama
Princess Diana
Thomas Jefferson
Abe Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt
Helen Keller
Plato/Socrates/Aristotle
Jesus Christ
Confucius
Lao Tzu
Albert Schweitzer

The list goes on..

And of course there are moral objectivists who were very terrible individuals too. But who has it been that has reformed the unjust institutions created by these terrible individuals? It has always been other moral objectivists, simply because the attitude of moral relativists (such as your own) doesn't give you any sufficient moral reason to change the moral conditions in your society since, to be consistent with your own belief that values are relative to culture, whatever the culture says ought to hold for that culture, necessarily holds for you, too, since the culture is right and you thus have believe that it is, even if you disagree with your own culture in secret--so you believe both that your culture is right (Meta-Ethical Relativism) and simultaneously not believe that? You must be both a cognitive and non-cognitive mess.

My point is that I just don't know of the so-called "pragmatic worth" of believing in Moral Relativism whatsoever. So if pragmatic arguments are good reasons for staking your position on the Ethics Map one way rather than another, then you have more reason, all things considered, to be a moral objectivist than a moral relativist.

Here is a passage directly from Mussolini, a self-proclaimed moral relativist.
Did you know Ted Bundy was a self-proclaimed moral relativist too--not to mention Charles Manson??

"Everything I have said and done is these last years is relativism, by intuition. From the fact that all ideologies are of equal value, that all ideologies are mere fictions, the modern relativist infers that everybody has the right to create for himself his own ideology, and to attempt to enforce it with all the energy of which he is capable. If relativism signifies contempt for fixed categories, and men who claim to be the bearers of an objective immortal truth, then there is nothing more relativistic than fascism." -Benito Mussolini

None of that shows me it's useful to believe falsehoods such as those regarding objective morality.

I'm the most moral person I know so you're not going to convince me that my beliefs require me to be otherwise.

---------- Post added 04-25-2010 at 08:10 AM ----------

Extrain;156331 wrote:
ah ha! Here is a potentially self-refuting inconsistency with Meta-Ethical Relativism.

The M.E. Relativist contends that whatever a culture believes with regard to moral principles is right. But it is also certainly possible for him to disagree with what his own culture thinks is right. So he both believes and doesn't believe that his culture is right?

Again, that's not meta-ethical relativism. This is meta-ethical relativism: "moral judgments have their origins either in societal or in individual standards, and that no single objective standard exists by which one can assess the truth of a moral proposition."

To remind you we've already established that's not self-refuting. You've admitted so yourself.

Extrain;156258 wrote:
This version is not self-refuting.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 07:42 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;156331 wrote:

Not every member of a culture need agree with the moral judgments of the culture for moral relativism to be true. That would be a self-defeating restriction on the notion of moral relativism. Why adopt it? It would be like holding that absolute certainty is a necessary condition of knowledge.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156384 wrote:
Not every member of a culture need agree with the moral judgments of the culture for moral relativism to be true. That would be a self-defeating restriction on the notion of moral relativism. Why adopt it? It would be like holding that absolute certainty is a necessary condition of knowledge.
if moral relativism were true then no one would have the 'right' to impose law on another individual who held an opposing 'opinion' on a matter. However, this is clearly not the case, so if moral relativism is true, the world is operating by objectivism therefore everyone is a hypocrite. The mere fact that the world does not operate and, in fact, could not operate by moral relativism is a strong indication that it is false.

Regardless of what you may say moral relativist must live by a universal moral code in one fashion or another. Be it might makes right, or even if it just to always assume that what you think is right is actually right. That in itself is self-refuting.

---------- Post added 04-25-2010 at 09:09 AM ----------

pagan;156355 wrote:
amperage

where are on earth did i say that logic is of no worth in morality??? what i said was that logic is far from being a complete method for morality. Moreover to construct the reaction that if it isn't logic it must be faith is a tad simplistic and extreme isn't it??? What about memory, experience, anecdotal evidence, intuition, loyalty, suspicion and so on?
OK suppose you didn't infer that. The fact remains that if you're going to attempt to make logical arguments, then you ought to avoid logical fallacies. If you're not going to make logical arguments simply say, you're right and I'm wrong and be done with it(quite a strange view anyway for a relativist). If I thought morality was objective wouldn't I be right? Or worse yet if I thought everyone was wrong about relativism wouldn't I be right?
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:16 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156395 wrote:
if moral relativism were true then no one would have the 'right' to impose law on another individual who held an opposing 'opinion' on a matter. However, this is clearly not the case, so if moral relativism is true, the world is operating by objectivism therefore everyone is a hypocrite. The mere fact that the world does not operate and, in fact, could not operate by moral relativism is a strong indication that it is false.

hypocrite - a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

There's nothing hypocritical in believing that there are no objective moral standards but nevertheless demanding others follow certain rules or face consequences.

If you hurt someone I care about, I will make you suffer for it. If I think you will hurt someone I care about, I will take measures to stop you. What's hypocritical in that?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:18 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156395 wrote:
if moral relativism were true then no one would have the 'right' to impose law on another individual who held an opposing 'opinion' on a matter.

Since you place inverted commas on both sides of the term, right, and the term, opinion, which indicates you are using it in some special way, but you don't tell me how you are using both those terms. I have no good idea of what you may mean. But, of course, in no democratic society I know of, has anyone the right to impose a law without due process. If you are talking about a society like Nazi Germany, then, of course, all bets are off.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:31 am
@kennethamy,
Night Ripper;156401 wrote:
If you hurt someone I care about, I will make you suffer for it. If I think you will hurt someone I care about, I will take measures to stop you. What's hypocritical in that?
Not without being a hypocrite you wont. If there is no objective moral standard then I'm not wrong for doing what he did(if I think I was right). And demanding others to follow your rules is simply imposing might makes right. What you think is right and what you think is wrong does not matter to anyone else besides you if relativism is true.

Quote:
Moral Relativism (wkipedia)

"Normative relativism, further still, is the prescriptive or normative position that as there is no universal moral standard by which to judge others, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when it runs counter to our personal or cultural moral standards."
if you do not tolerate others behaviors then you would be acting hypocritical towards your claimed belief in moral relativism.

kennethamy;156402 wrote:
Since you place inverted commas on both sides of the term, right, and the term, opinion, which indicates you are using it in some special way, but you don't tell me how you are using both those terms. I have no good idea of what you may mean. But, of course, in no democratic society I know of, has anyone the right to impose a law without due process. If you are talking about a society like Nazi Germany, then, of course, all bets are off.
I placed quotes around right because for a moral relativist the term, right, only accounts for what each individual thinks is right; nothing more. I placed quotes around opinion to draw attention to the fact that opinion is ALL that matters for a relativist. Now can you follow effectively?

It has to do with even having laws in the first place. Even having laws in the first place is an appeal to might makes right. And aims to deter or punish those who hold different, yet exactly equal views. Thus the hypocritical nature. What you think is right is no more right than what I think is right. You have no more authority to punish me for what I think is right, than I do you.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:38 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156407 wrote:
Not without being a hypocrite you wont. If there is no objective moral standard then I'm not wrong for doing what he did(if I think I was right). And demanding others to follow your rules is simply imposing might makes right. What you think is right and what you think is wrong does not matter to anyone else besides you if relativism is true.

How is imposing might makes right hypocritical? I don't care if what I think matters to anyone else. I will make it matter to them through violence or at least I will impose my will on them. Again, what's hypocritical about that? I'm not being inconsistent.

Amperage;156407 wrote:
if you do not tolerate others behaviors then you would be acting hypocritical towards your claimed belief in moral relativism.

Could you show me the chain of reasoning that lead you to this conclusion? How would I be acting inconsistently with my beliefs? Why would you think meta-ethical relativism requires tolerance to be consistent with believing it?
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:45 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156408 wrote:
How is imposing might makes right hypocritical? I don't care if what I think matters to anyone else. I will make it matter to them through violence or at least I will impose my will on them. Again, what's hypocritical about that? I'm not being inconsistent.
because what you think is right is no more actually right than what he thinks is right. And since you seem to think that might makes right will decide it, you've made the decision that what you think is right has more value than what he thinks is right. Moral relativism says that the value of either of ya'lls opinion is equal....so trying to impose your will on him as if it's more important or more valuable or more right, is hypocritical.

Night Ripper;156408 wrote:
Could you show me the chain of reasoning that lead you to this conclusion? How would I be acting inconsistently with my beliefs? Why would you think meta-ethical relativism requires tolerance to be consistent with believing it?
What do you think I've been doing?

Let's say he holds belief X and it's worth 5 points
You hold belief ~X and it is also worth 5 points.

Well if you and he get together, then since you both have 5 points, neither of your beliefs is worth more than the other. You are both equally right. For you to attempt to punish him or impose your will on him would imply that your belief is somehow worth more than his belief. If you think your belief is worth more than his belief then that is another way of saying your belief is more right than his, thus the hypocritical nature of attempting to punish him for his belief which is just as right as your belief, but only differs. Moral relativism says that both your positions are equal. Therefore when ya'll get together you have no right to act as though your belief is more correct. You should just admire the difference.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:57 am
@Amperage,
No, you're making a logical jump that isn't supported.

1. All "ought" claims are of equal moral value.

2. We "ought" to only punish those that make claims of lesser moral value.

I agree with (1) but you think that entails (2). The problem is, (2) is just another "ought" claim. It's not warranted. I can punish whoever I want and still be consistent with (1). By punishing someone I am not committing myself to the belief that they have lesser moral values. I am simply committing myself to the belief that they aren't my values and I don't like them.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:00 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156415 wrote:
No, you're making a logical jump that isn't supported.

1. All "ought" claims are of equal moral value.

2. We "ought" to only punish those that make claims of lesser moral value.

I agree with (1) but you think that entails (2). The problem is, (2) is just another "ought" claim. It's not warranted. I can punish whoever I want and still be consistent with (1). By punishing someone I am not committing myself to the belief that they have lesser moral values. I am simply committing myself to the belief that they aren't my values and I don't like them.
why would you punish someone who has just as much claim to what they did as you? You wouldn't. That would be like the 2nd place runner attacking the 1st place runner for crossing the finish line before him.

If you are going to punish someone for what they think is right then you have committed yourself to the opinion that you are more right than they are. You cannot avoid this fact.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:03 am
@Amperage,
I don't have to do something because I think I'm more right or whatever you want to claim. I can do something just because I feel like it.
Amperage

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:06 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;156418 wrote:
I don't have to do something because I think I'm more right or whatever you want to claim. I can do something just because I feel like it.
sure, but if you are going to judge someone on their moral beliefs which are just as right as yours, you're being hypocritical.

heck you're judging mine
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:12 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;156420 wrote:
sure, but if you are going to judge someone on their moral beliefs which are just as right as yours, you're being hypocritical

Why? Do you understand what that word means? It means that one is acting in a manner inconsistent with their beliefs. How are the following two beliefs inconsistent...

1. All moral beliefs are equally valid.

2. I don't like your beliefs.

It's just like saying...

3. All opinions on the best flavor of ice cream are equally valid.

4. I don't like your opinion on the best flavor of ice cream.

I don't see the problem. Please explain it instead of just repeating your claim over and over. I understand that you think it's hypocritical. Why?