Why does God permit evil????

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:34 pm
@Alan McDougall,
If anyone is interested, here's a link to the pdf (much easier on the eyes and printer friendly) of "The God of Eth" referenced in the link I posted in #158. I skimmed it. It looks quite interesting.

http://www.uu.blymiller.com/shaag/eth.pdf
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102267 wrote:
Obviously if we are talking about two different conceptions of God, then an objection to one need not be an objection to the other.

Exactly.

kennethamy;102267 wrote:
The problem of evil is an objection to the traditional conception of God as all-loving, all-good, and all-powerful, as being compatible with the existence of evil. Rejecting that conception of God is avoiding that problem. Not dealing with it. The physician does not treat a patient's cold by pronouncing that a different patient does not have a cold.

Ah, but if the traditional conception of God is not God as all-loving, all-good, and all-powerful then the problem of evil fails, right?

And that is my point.

God is traditionally described in this way, but theologians do not leave the matter here. They also explain, take great pains to explain, that these descriptors are not accurate because God transcends language. No language can accurately describe God. Hence the Steiner quote, "what lies beyond man's word is eloquent of God."

Dawkins would have people believe that traditional theology holds God as being literally good, loving, and omnipotent. And he is incorrect. Traditional theology uses these various descriptors to point to God, to set us out in the general direction, which is all that words can possibly accomplish.

It goes back to God not being a being at all. We can call beings good, loving, powerful. Even saying "God exists" is troublesome.

The supposedly "traditional" concept of God challenged by the problem of evil is not the traditional concept of God. Just look at all of the ancient warnings against idolatry, look at the ancient Jewish reluctance to even use the name of God. On the other side of the globe, Taoists wrote that God who could be named is not the eternal God (Tao).
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 06:53 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;102271 wrote:
Exactly.

Ah, but if the traditional conception of God is not God as all-loving, all-good, and all-powerful then the problem of evil fails, right?

And that is my point.

God is traditionally described in this way, but theologians do not leave the matter here. They also explain, take great pains to explain, that these descriptors are not accurate because God transcends language. No language can accurately describe God. Hence the Steiner quote, "what lies beyond man's word is eloquent of God."

Dawkins would have people believe that traditional theology holds God as being literally good, loving, and omnipotent. And he is incorrect. Traditional theology uses these various descriptors to point to God, to set us out in the general direction, which is all that words can possibly accomplish.

It goes back to God not being a being at all. We can call beings good, loving, powerful. Even saying "God exists" is troublesome.

The supposedly "traditional" concept of God challenged by the problem of evil is not the traditional concept of God. Just look at all of the ancient warnings against idolatry, look at the ancient Jewish reluctance to even use the name of God. On the other side of the globe, Taoists wrote that God who could be named is not the eternal God (Tao).

The philosophical problem of evil is discussed against the background of the kind of God that seems to be incompatible with evil. The issue, then, becomes whether the incompatibility is real or apparent. So, objecting that this philosophical discussion of the problem of evil does not deal with some other conception of God which avoids the incompatibility seems to me just beside the point. However, apparently enough believers believed in the conception of God which is the context of the philosophical discussion so that writere like John Milton, the author of the book of Job, Voltaire, Dostoievsky, as well as Leibniz, thought that the problem was a religious problem as well as an academic philosophical problem. In the face of this, Steiner's view is questionable. Taoism is irrelevant. We are talking about the Western conception of God.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102274 wrote:
So, objecting that this philosophical discussion of the problem of evil does not deal with some other conception of God which avoids the incompatibility seems to me just beside the point.

Except, of course, when the problem of evil is said to be a problem for the traditional conception of God. Then it is more than worth pointing out what that conception is or is not. And if the traditional conception of God is not as assumed by the problem of evil, that problem vanishes.

kennethamy;102274 wrote:
However, apparently enough believers believed in the conception of God which is the context of the philosophical discussion so that writere like John Milton, the author of the book of Job, Voltaire, Dostoievsky, as well as Leibniz, thought that the problem was a religious problem as well as an academic philosophical problem.

Right. God is not easy to grasp. Job, for example, addresses the problem in order to show that it is not a problem at all. Dostoevsky's character Ivan also manages to overcome the existential trouble.

As an existential crisis people have, it's a real problem just as feeling bad about losing the game is a real problem.

kennethamy;102274 wrote:
In the face of this, Steiner's view is questionable.

Not really: he explains just why the problem of evil, as typically presented, ultimately fails. So his view is explanatory.

kennethamy;102274 wrote:
Taoism is irrelevant. We are talking about the Western conception of God.

And I introduced Taoism as an example of the ineffability concept spanning all mankind. Which makes Taoism, with regards to ineffability, relevant because it adds support of the universality of the traditional human spiritual mentality.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;102276 wrote:
Except, of course, when the problem of evil is said to be a problem for the traditional conception of God. Then it is more than worth pointing out what that conception is or is not. And if the traditional conception of God is not as assumed by the problem of evil, that problem vanishes.

Right. God is not easy to grasp. Job, for example, addresses the problem in order to show that it is not a problem at all. Dostoevsky's character Ivan also manages to overcome the existential trouble.

As an existential crisis people have, it's a real problem just as feeling bad about losing the game is a real problem.

Not really: he explains just why the problem of evil, as typically presented, ultimately fails. So his view is explanatory.

And I introduced Taoism as an example of the ineffability concept spanning all mankind. Which makes Taoism, with regards to ineffability, relevant because it adds support of the universality of the traditional human spiritual mentality.

How does Steiner show that the problem of evil fails? In fact, what does that mean?

How does Job show it is not a problem? I don't understand what you say about Ivan.

It seems to me that Milton and Dostoyevski probably had as good a conception of the Christian god as did Steiner. To say the least.

In any case, we are talking about the conception of God that Milton, Dostoyevski, and Leibniz share, and the problem of evil in regard to that conception. Saying that evil is not a problem for some other conception is just a diversion. It does not matter which, if either, is the true. conception.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102279 wrote:
How does Steiner show that the problem of evil fails? In fact, what does that mean?

He does not directly address the problem. If he is right, if the shortcomings of language are evidence of the divine, if language fails to accurately portray the divine, then any criticism of the divine's existence based on a description of the divine fails.

Theologians have mentioned that saying "God does not exist" does not make sense.

kennethamy;102279 wrote:
How does Job show it is not a problem? I don't understand what you say about Ivan.

Job goes through various trials, directly experiencing what we would call evil, yet he endures these crises with piety while others fall victim to the existential crisis of suffering. He refuses to curse God. Ivan also overcomes this existential crisis.

Job deals with the existential crisis of evil, and shows how man can persist and thrive despite evil and suffering. Thus, Job shows that the problem of evil is not a significant objection to God's existence. And you probably wont get more traditional than the Old Testament.

kennethamy;102279 wrote:

In any case, we are talking about the conception of God that Milton, Dostoyevski, and Leibniz share, and the problem of evil in regard to that conception. Saying that evil is not a problem for some other conception is just a diversion. It does not matter which, if either, is the true. conception.

Unless you go on to claim that the problem of evil is one for the traditional conception of God. And this is not the case. Theologians have dealt with various incarnations of the problem of evil, this stuff isn't new. If you are going to talk about a God susceptible to the problem of evil, you cannot be talking about the traditional God because that concept has been refined in such a way that it does not suffer from these problems.

Depending upon how we understand God, the problem of evil may have teeth. But if we're talking about the traditional God, the problem of evil is an existential issue, not a problem to be philosophically resolved for the ten millionth time.

Milton and Dostoevsky were artists using the existential crisis to build their work. Liebniz was mostly dealing with the Holiness problem, which is solved when you let go of God as perfectly good having understood that descriptions of God are not cold diamond but signposts to something beyond the scope of language.
Persona phil

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:23 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;102179 wrote:
Your position seems to exclude some other options.

Like?

Assuming the existence of God, one could also suggest that He is indeed as powerful as credited . . . and that He has a plan.

A plan has a purpose. Keep in mind, god is supposedly all-powerful and thus could fulfill this purpose without a plan that involved evil and suffering.

Again:
Benevolent or Omnipotent

Where were you when He was creating the Universe?

Did he?

What can oppose God's Will?

Only his own burden of self, as I perceive it.
0 Replies

Shlomo

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:36 am
@stew phil,
stew;102209 wrote:
So I take it you are referring to the Irenaean theodicy, where God's purpose is not to construct a paradise in this world, but rather, a means towards a perfect end (supposing an afterlife in the next world). Essentially, this world is a place of creative "soul making." Would you call that description accurate?

The description is accurate as long as we do not widen the scope (speaking only of the function of suffering).

stew;102209 wrote:
I do not disagree that this theodicy shows with some plausibility the need for an im perfect, person-making world. However, my problem is whether it justifies the actual extent of human suffering, e.g. the gigantic evils of the Jewish Holocaust, Rwanda Genocide, cancer etc.

Humanly speaking, I agree with you - in the sense that I am also personally terrified by the scale of atrocities. However, God understands it better than myself and it is not wise to accuse God on the basis of my own intellectual limitation, the right thing to do is to ask more wisdom from Him.

Holocaust was generally predicted in the Torah as a punishment for going astray from God. Those who honestly research the Scriptures and apply them to what had happened, will recognize the authenticity of these Scriptures and thus open the door to the Truth and Salvation. The most important positive consequence of the Holocaust was the creation of Israel - which is also realization of biblical promise. And when you see promises realized, it is a ground for optimism. You can see that God implements what He has planned and you can trust Him. The terrible scale of disasters which happened during WWII keeps mankind vigilant against fanatic regimes for quite a long time, even in a generation which did not witness them, which would not be the case should it was a minor trouble. Rwanda genocide passes almost unnoticed while every stone thrown in Israel causes an UN resolution. This shows both human hypocrisy and again points to authenticity of the Bible (God has covenant with Israel whence the disproportional sensitivity of the world to Israeli issues).

stew;102209 wrote:
You may attribute that to the moral wickedness of human action, but still, can such a painful creative process leading to an infinite good be the expression of a morally perfect, divine goodness? Assuming we even need a divine command theory to reach moral goodness?

Of course I am expecting a yes answer here from you, but for the religious skeptic, the problem of evil has not been sufficiently resolved.

We face a dilemma: either attribute the atrocities of this world to God's failing to build a good world, or assume that our vision is limited. In first case we are simply doomed, and it is the worst personal tragedy which can ever happen, because it doesn't matter are we right or wrong, nothing is going to be fixed. This approach is also absurd, because it implies that we are perfect while our Creator is not. Taking the second alternative seems to be the solution for a religious skeptic. And this solution can be practically tested (Follow king Solomon's example). Keep in mind that a religious skeptic who has resolved the problem of evil is no longer a skeptic Smile.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 02:48 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;102286 wrote:
He does not directly address the problem. If he is right, if the shortcomings of language are evidence of the divine, if language fails to accurately portray the divine, then any criticism of the divine's existence based on a description of the divine fails.

Theologians have mentioned that saying "God does not exist" does not make sense.

Job goes through various trials, directly experiencing what we would call evil, yet he endures these crises with piety while others fall victim to the existential crisis of suffering. He refuses to curse God. Ivan also overcomes this existential crisis.

Job deals with the existential crisis of evil, and shows how man can persist and thrive despite evil and suffering. Thus, Job shows that the problem of evil is not a significant objection to God's existence. And you probably wont get more traditional than the Old Testament.

Unless you go on to claim that the problem of evil is one for the traditional conception of God. And this is not the case. Theologians have dealt with various incarnations of the problem of evil, this stuff isn't new. If you are going to talk about a God susceptible to the problem of evil, you cannot be talking about the traditional God because that concept has been refined in such a way that it does not suffer from these problems.

Depending upon how we understand God, the problem of evil may have teeth. But if we're talking about the traditional God, the problem of evil is an existential issue, not a problem to be philosophically resolved for the ten millionth time.

Milton and Dostoevsky were artists using the existential crisis to build their work. Liebniz was mostly dealing with the Holiness problem, which is solved when you let go of God as perfectly good having understood that descriptions of God are not cold diamond but signposts to something beyond the scope of language.

Could you explain to me what an existential crisis is? It might help. Our dispute seems to be centered on whether to call the conception of God in the backround of the philosophical problem of evil should be called "the traditional conception of God". I think, myself, that is an appropriate term for it. But I don't care much. Again, this is but a verbal dispute, and nothing substantive hangs on it. Whether or not it is called "traditional" it is the conception of God that appears to be inconsistent with the existence of evil. The question is whether Leibniz's Theodicy shows that the inconsistency is only apparent, or whether it is real.
xris

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 04:43 am
@kennethamy,
The moral ability of man appears to be above gods in this debate. We are actually saying gods values are below ours. He has no remorse, no mercy and is in fact quite vengeful. It is not us unbelievers that describe this god, its not us that portray him when it is beneficial, as a caring benevolent merry chappy. Then when certain questions become unanswerable he reverts to the god of the old testament, nasty self serving and with no concern for his creation. If he cant be described, if he does not fit the image portrayed, then its simple, he does not exist.

As an agnostic I believe if god exists we can not know him but unlike the faithful I don't say he exists, then when the description does not fit, his values make him invisible.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101975 wrote:
Earthquakes and other natural disasters (disease) cause an immense amount of innocent suffering in the world (and we are not even thinking of what happens to animals).

But only if we blame God and assume he is benevolent
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:42 am
@xris,
xris;102310 wrote:
The moral ability of man appears to be above gods in this debate. We are actually saying gods values are below ours. He has no remorse, no mercy and is in fact quite vengeful. It is not us unbelievers that describe this god, its not us that portray him when it is beneficial, as a caring benevolent merry chappy. Then when certain questions become unanswerable he reverts to the god of the old testament, nasty self serving and with no concern for his creation. If he cant be described, if he does not fit the image portrayed, then its simple, he does not exist.

As an agnostic I believe if god exists we can not know him but unlike the faithful I don't say he exists, then when the description does not fit, his values make him invisible.

There are a number of conceptions of God (the Old Testament God, for instance). It probably is unanswerable what the correct conception of God is, although if there is a God, then there must be one. And, of course, the central question is whether any of the conceptions (if any) is true. That is, whether there is a God. As an agnostic, you do not know whether any of the conceptions are true.

---------- Post added 11-07-2009 at 10:45 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;102324 wrote:
But only if we blame God and assume he is benevolent

Earthquakes cause suffering whether or not God is blamed, or we assume anything about God. What has the blaming of God, or anyone's conception of God, or whether God exists, to do with whether there is suffering in the world?
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:04 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102326 wrote:
There are a number of conceptions of God (the Old Testament God, for instance). It probably is unanswerable what the correct conception of God is, although if there is a God, then there must be one. And, of course, the central question is whether any of the conceptions (if any) is true. That is, whether there is a God. As an agnostic, you do not know whether any of the conceptions are true.

Earthquakes cause suffering whether or not God is blamed, or we assume anything about God. What has the blaming of God, or anyone's conception of God, or whether God exists, to do with whether there is suffering in the world?

Because the thread is here to answer the question Why does God permit evil??, an earthquake is not evil it is a catastrophe
kennethamy

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:08 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;102333 wrote:
Because the thread is here to answer the question Why does God permit evil??, an earthquake is not evil it is a catastrophe

It is an evil catastrophe because it cause suffering and pain. What causes much suffering and pain is evil. But, again, what does whether there is suffering or not have to do with whether there is a God? A child who dies painfully dies painfully whether or not there is a God.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:58 am
@kennethamy,
Didymos Thomas;102271 wrote:

Ah, but if the traditional conception of God is not God as all-loving, all-good, and all-powerful then the problem of evil fails, right?.......
God is traditionally described

[QUOTE=stew;102229] the problem of evil still stands because it shows that you can still cast doubt on evil in the world and God's power. It's logically possible one way or the other. That is all the religious skeptic needs. [/QUOTE][QUOTE=stew;102236]I guess I do have to spell it out for you. If there is evil in the world, and God is defined as omni-everything, then this implies a contradiction. Because there is a contradiction, one might doubt whether the concept of God holds.[/QUOTE]
kennethamy;102219 wrote:

1. God is perfectly good
2. God is omnipotent
3. There is evil.
It looks as if at least one of the above statements has to be false. They cannot all be true.
If that is so, then the atheist has a perfect shot against the existence of the traditional God of Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religion. It is the chief weapon in atheology

The traditional problem of evil hinges on the notion of god as all powerful and all knowing. The dispute in the thread centers on whether that omnipotent, omniscient conception of god taken literally is in fact the traditional or even the modern consensus notion of god.

There is an argument to be made both ways.

The omnipotent, omniscient, changeless perfection, impassive vision of god primarily derives from the medieval scholastic writing of Augustine and Aquinas. That vision is arguably not the traditional conception of God in the Jewish tradition or the God portrayed in either the Hebrew Bible or the New Testament.

In fact that vision of God is the result of the attempted fusion of Greek philosophy with Christian theology, Augustine using Plato as his reference and Aquinas using Aristotle as his. These doctrines also included "creation ex nihilo" which also is not early traditional or scriptural.

There is I would agree a logical conflict between the extent of evil (both moral human and natural non human caused evil and suffering) and the medieval scholastic vision of god as all powerful perfection and goodness. To deny this conflict by claiming God is actually an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by mystery is to avoid the obvious conflict and to lack a way to explain to the parent whose child is dying of leukemia or the survivors of the holocaust where god is and what god does.

God as portrayed in scripture, and god as understood in Jewish tradition is not the god of the medieval scholastic fusion of Greek perfection with Christian theology.
Evil as portrayed in scripture (most directly in the story of Job) is inherent in the nature of the world and the ancients offer no direct explanation or apology for it.

Anyone familiar with Karen Armstrongs "History of God" or Jack Miles "God:a Biography" knows that the conception of God changes over time within scripture and within history.

I can think of no modern twentieth century religious philosopher who advocates the medieval scholastic vision of an all powerful all knowing god. Although official church doctrine, dogma and teaching still include the medieval scholastic vision very few modern church goers pay anything more than lip service to doctrines the origins of which, and the logical implications of which they do not understand. The all powerful, all knowing, divine tyrant which Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris mock is not the God that modern believers worship or the god that ancient believiers portrayed in scripture. In fact such a conception of God is not compatible with the modern or even the postmodern view of the world.

Most modern serious intellectual philosophical religious writings emphasize gods immanence in the world and gods intellectual transcendence. Most modern views are forms of panentheism and many are process or open theologies. One can in fact argue that these modern conceptions of the divine and divine action in the world are a return to the traditional conceptions which held in scripture and ancient tradition. In this view the medieval scholastic vision of god as all powerful and all knowing is a misconception and a conceptual scheme well abandoned in the modern world.

See Charles Hartshorne "Omnipotence and other Theological Mistakes" or
A.N. Whiteheads "Religion in the Making" or any of Karen Armstrongs writings for rather complete expositions of these notions.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 12:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102326 wrote:

The description of god as they appear, are to me not logical or valid. None of them are true, to my mind, that is my belief and its from that perspective that I make my comment.

The concept that if god makes earth quakes then god is evil but from the perspective that earthquakes are just earthquakes, then they are not. Dont blame the car blame the driver.
prothero

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 12:51 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Try ancient and modern concepts of the divine and the problem of evil as opposed to medieval scholastic concepts:
god is not omnipotent.
The world was not created ex nihilo.
god does not "permit" evil.
Evil is a inherent feature of any possible or meaningful world.
xris

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:00 pm
@prothero,
prothero;102353 wrote:
Try ancient and modern concepts of the divine and the problem of evil as opposed to medieval scholastic concepts:
god is not omnipotent.
The world was not created ex nihilo.
god does not "permit" evil.
Evil is a inherent feature of any possible or meaningful world.
You will have to describe your god a bit more for me to comment.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:55 pm
@xris,
xris;102350 wrote:
The description of god as they appear, are to me not logical or valid. None of them are true, to my mind, that is my belief and its from that perspective that I make my comment.

The concept that if god makes earth quakes then god is evil but from the perspective that earthquakes are just earthquakes, then they are not. Dont blame the car blame the driver.

Earthquakes are not, of course, intrinsically evil. But, they are extrinsically evil because they have evil effects. They cause suffering and pain. I am not blaming the car, but it is, nevertheless, true that cars kill and maim people.
xris

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 02:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102359 wrote:
Earthquakes are not, of course, intrinsically evil. But, they are extrinsically evil because they have evil effects. They cause suffering and pain. I am not blaming the car, but it is, nevertheless, true that cars kill and maim people.
With that in mind every inanimate object is potentially evil. Champagne corks kill nine people a year on average, beware the curse of the evil champers corks.