Why does God permit evil????

xris

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:19 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;122024 wrote:
well then if you want to say that God not being able to do what is logically impossible means He is not omnipotent then by your definition He is not omnipotent.
However I think you are missing the fundamental difference between between being able to do everything that can logically be done and things which cannot logically be done. God can do everything that can be done. However there are things that cannot be done. If you choose to take that to mean that God is not omnipotent then fine. I simply say God is omnipotent because He can do anything that can logically be done.
Why is it you cant see thats restricting his ability? If god created everything then he created the idea that logic is logical. Give me his power, all powerful and evil would never exist. If religion tells us that one day god will rid us of all evil , how is that logical and it is not logical now.
Amperage

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:23 pm
@xris,
xris;122029 wrote:
Why is it you cant see thats restricting his ability? If god created everything then he created the idea that logic is logical.
God did not create logic, God IS logic.

xris;122029 wrote:
Give me his power, all powerful and evil would never exist. If religion tells us that one day god will rid us of all evil , how is that logical and it is not logical now.
The only way for evil to not exist is for nothing to exist materially. And as I stated the whole reason God created existence is so that existence could know God. And since existence exists, evil exists. It is logically impossible for things to exist materially and for them not to be perishable. This existence is only meant to be temporary anyway. All material things are supposed to pass away. So fear not.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:26 pm
@xris,
xris;122029 wrote:
If religion tells us that one day god will rid us of all evil , how is that logical and it is not logical now.

Because now is now, and one day is one day.
Amperage

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122031 wrote:
Because now is now, and one day is one day.
yes consider this possible explanation when considering "the future"(Heaven):

Quote:
There is NO free will in heaven. However, we can not consider heaven in
isolation from the earthly decision that led to eternal life
. We had free will on earth, and God simply permanently cemented that freely chosen (salvifically efficacious) decision to accept Christ upon mortal death. Love still exists in heaven because God affirms the free-willed decision to follow God while on earth. (This is a tenuous underdeveloped train of thought).
*bold emphasis mine* I personally think is could be correct
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:35 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;122030 wrote:
God did not create logic, God IS logic.

The only way for evil to not exist is for nothing to exist materially. And as I stated the whole reason God created existence is so that existence could know God. And since existence exists, evil exists. It is logically impossible for things to exist materially and for them not to be perishable. This existence is only meant to be temporary anyway. All material things are supposed to pass away. So fear not.
So why cant the two of you answer my question. If its possible in the future that god can rid us of evil why was it not when he created the world? It cant be both logical and illogical.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 04:12 pm
@xris,
xris;122039 wrote:
So why cant the two of you answer my question. If its possible in the future that god can rid us of evil why was it not when he created the world? It cant be both logical and illogical.

Because what may be possible at one time, need not be possible at a different time. As I have already said. But, to repeat what I have already pointed out, it is possible for God to get rid all evil now, but, if He did, the world would not be so good as it would be with evil in it. That is the Leibnizian answer. It is always possible for God to get rid of evil. That is not the problem.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 04:39 pm
@xris,
xris;122039 wrote:
Because all future events are continguent upon what preceded them.
QuinticNon

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 08:26 pm
@xris,
xris;122039 wrote:
If its possible in the future that god can rid us of evil why was it not when he created the world? It cant be both logical and illogical.

But mankind was supposedly without evil when God created existence. I mean, that is the biblical account at least. Eve found Evil at the Fall when she first tasted the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

One must suppose that Tree already existed though... and human favor only gave us an awareness of Good and Evil that we just didn't know about before that event.

I can't imagine being able to teach my dog about Good and Evil unless he evolved some way that allowed him to expand his language enough to comprehend the concept. Funny that written language is supposed to have arisen no more than 6 thousand years ago... About the same time as the Biblical Fall of Man.

But as to the main discussion prompt,

Why does God permit evil???

It's because God possesses "Middle Knowledge"
Middle Knowledge*[The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, as it is the best available apologetic about this subject. If someone has mentioned "Middle Knowledge", you have my support and apology.
1CellOfMany

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:31 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Regarding Allen McDougall's post of 1/21/2010 7:36 pm, where he quotes arguments form a Wikipedia article entitled "Problem of Evil":

Very well presented, Allen. Even though you are not the originator of these arguments, your sharing them here raises the level of the philosophical dialogue to a much higher standard than most of the posts in this thread. The recourse now of those, such as myself, who would dispute these arguments (in order to support the belief in the existence of God) is either to find already published, well reasoned arguments refuting those that you present, or else to formulate cogent refutations ourselves.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:44 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;122070 wrote:
But mankind was supposedly without evil when God created existence. I mean, that is the biblical account at least. Eve found Evil at the Fall when she first tasted the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

One must suppose that Tree already existed though... and human favor only gave us an awareness of Good and Evil that we just didn't know about before that event.

I can't imagine being able to teach my dog about Good and Evil unless he evolved some way that allowed him to expand his language enough to comprehend the concept. Funny that written language is supposed to have arisen no more than 6 thousand years ago... About the same time as the Biblical Fall of Man.

But as to the main discussion prompt,

Why does God permit evil???

It's because God possesses "Middle Knowledge"
Middle Knowledge*[The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, as it is the best available apologetic about this subject. If someone has mentioned "Middle Knowledge", you have my support and apology.
For me Molinism explains how God can predestine us while at the same time keeping our free will intact thereby explaining moral and intentional evil but leaves out natural evil which I think is explained by #1 the fact that life could not exist without the governoring laws of the universe being exactly as they are, and the laws of the universe are what cause natural disasters and #2 the fact that if Gods purpose is for us to have a knowledge of Him, then it seems highly probable to me that more people would come to God by seeking Him during times of hardship then if there were no hardship. This is justified because of the eternal glory that outweighs anything.
QuinticNon

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:12 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;122102 wrote:
For me Molinism explains how God can predestine us while at the same time keeping our free will intact...

Sure, I can see that. But does this mean you reject the premise of Middle Knowledge?

Amperage;122102 wrote:
...natural evil which I think is explained by #1 the fact that life could not exist without the governoring laws of the universe being exactly as they are, and the laws of the universe are what cause natural disasters...

Does that not suppose to downgrade the ultimate power of a God? Are you suggesting that a God could not have created life unless he accepted earthquakes and asteroids by default? What of the Angels and/or Spirits? Are they not "alive"? Must they endure hardships and evils of Spiritual/Natural disasters? This seems to limit the ultimate power and providence of a God and suggest that God is somehow held accountable to his own creation.

Is there possibly an alternative position?

Perhaps God indeed could create life without the crutch of natural disasters to make it so. Perhaps natural disasters are what I call, a part of "God's Evil Plan"... as in, God's plan for Evil.

But here we must assume that you and I perceive Evil as the same thing. Let us not, for my definition for Evil is: Believing a Lie is True. I look to the communication model of Information Theory to support my position. Consider the notion of a Satan being equal to Information Entropy. If that be so, then Evil is believing that Satan is as Truth, or believing that Entropy has Meaning... It's the same thing. It's Evil. It's noise on the line.

Perhaps "God's Evil Plan" is planned as such to teach humanity lessons on filtering through the noise (looking past the Evil), and isolating and receiving the intended signal of pure Information. Perhaps there's a greater message that we're somehow not getting from concentrating on Static instead of the Lesson.

Perhaps the lesson intended is one of accepting our opportunities to come closer to our fellow man in their suffering. That's all Mother Theresa ever did... She joined people in their suffering. That's what Jesus did too. Why would they do that? Because not to do that is Evil.

Amperage;122102 wrote:
and #2 the fact that if Gods purpose is for us to have a knowledge of Him, then it seems highly probable to me that more people would come to God by seeking Him during times of hardship...

Hey! That's what Mister Deity says!

But I'll let him tell you for himself... Mr. Deity and the Evil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzf8q9QHfhI
Amperage

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:56 am
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;122114 wrote:
Sure, I can see that. But does this mean you reject the premise of Middle Knowledge?
Well I'm not sure what the premise of Middle Knowledge is I guess but the way I interpret Molinism is like this: God has 3 types of knowledge. 1. He knows what could happen, for example He knows that the potential exists for a world where no one ever sinned. 2. He knows what would happen, for example say you are in a scenario where you are given the choice between X and Y and you choose X, well God has the knowledge of what would have been had you chosen Y. 3. And lastly He knows what will happen. Meaning He knows when He creates a world what it could have been if we would have chosen "correctly" but because we are given free will it is not necessarily feasible that we will. Thus He then knows what will actually occur.

Or to say it in another way, He knows what could have been if we would have done x but there may not exist any set of circumstances in which we will do x.

What does this all mean? What it means is that God can wish to create a world that is without moral sin(just as an example) and he sees that this could happen, however there may not be a world that exists in which no one will sin, given they find themselves in a particular scenario. For example Johnny finds himself in a circumstance where he is confronted with the choice to steal something or not steal something. There may not be a world in which Johnny ever decides not to steal. Even though God could see what would happen if he didn't.

To sum up, God brings about the world that sees the most people come to know Him. However, not everyone will come to know Him, because in every possible world, while it may be possible for God to see the world where person x would choose to know Him, there are no set of circumstances in which person x will choose Him.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not because honestly this is a somewhat new concept to me but it makes some sense is all but if you have anything to add or critique in my understanding of the concept I'd love to hear it.

QuinticNon;122114 wrote:
Are you suggesting that a God could not have created life unless he accepted earthquakes and asteroids by default?
I'm suggesting that life, in the universe in which we live, would not and could not be, at least in the way we experience it now and the way we understand life to exist, had the universe not been constructed exactly as it is.

QuinticNon;122114 wrote:
Is there possibly an alternative position?

Perhaps God indeed could create life without the crutch of natural disasters to make it so. Perhaps natural disasters are what I call, a part of "God's Evil Plan"... as in, God's plan for Evil.

But here we must assume that you and I perceive Evil as the same thing. Let us not, for my definition for Evil is: Believing a Lie is True. I look to the communication model of Information Theory to support my position. Consider the notion of a Satan being equal to Information Entropy. If that be so, then Evil is believing that Satan is as Truth, or believing that Entropy has Meaning... It's the same thing. It's Evil. It's noise on the line.

Perhaps "God's Evil Plan" is planned as such to teach humanity lessons on filtering through the noise (looking past the Evil), and isolating and receiving the intended signal of pure Information. Perhaps there's a greater message that we're somehow not getting from concentrating on Static instead of the Lesson.

Perhaps the lesson intended is one of accepting our opportunities to come closer to our fellow man in their suffering. That's all Mother Theresa ever did... She joined people in their suffering. That's what Jesus did too. Why would they do that? Because not to do that is Evil.
I could accept that. I believe God suffers with His creation too(when we suffer etc.).
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:17 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;122045 wrote:
Because all future events are continguent upon what preceded them.
So the admission is that he is capable of destroying evil but does not choose to do so at the moment. He is allowing evil for a certain purpose. So why? If there is an end game a product that we will benefit from evil , why? If he was all powerful that end benefit you speak of could be secured by him, for us, without the benefit of us suffering evil. We dont need to have this silly game of good and evil for us to understand it worth, just let this god create us with this ability , this knowledge, why the charade? God the all powerful and good is contradiction, he by his all power could be capable of its ability take us to the point when we arrive at his desired creation. HE IS NOT LOGICAL....
kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 08:45 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;122102 wrote:
For me Molinism explains how God can predestine us while at the same time keeping our free will intact thereby explaining moral and intentional evil but leaves out natural evil which I think is explained by #1 the fact that life could not exist without the governoring laws of the universe being exactly as they are, and the laws of the universe are what cause natural disasters and #2 the fact that if Gods purpose is for us to have a knowledge of Him, then it seems highly probable to me that more people would come to God by seeking Him during times of hardship then if there were no hardship. This is justified because of the eternal glory that outweighs anything.

Sure. God might have "predestined" us to choose freely. There is no problem about that. He simply did not "predestine" what we would freely choose. And it might be that unless the universe had the laws it does have it would not be as good a universe as some other univerese. In fact, that is Leibniz's solution to the logical problem of evil. So you seem to have come to the same solution as Leibniz's. Now, the question is whether what might be true is, in fact, true. You are talking about possibility. But not about actuality (so far as you can know).
QuinticNon

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:04 pm
@xris,
xris;122127 wrote:
We dont need to have this silly game of good and evil for us to understand it worth, just let this god create us with this ability , this knowledge, why the charade?

When my young son approached the hot oven door, I shouted out... "No!".

Having warned him of the dangers before, he was fully aware that Daddy did not want him to touch it. He understood concepts of "hot" and "no" but did not understand the full implications of his fathers knowledge.

After having touched the hot oven door for himself, he turned his face to me and screamed in frightening pain. I never have to worry about him touching the hot oven door again. He has earned "knowing" on his own, and no amount of warning or description from me could possibly "enlighten" him in the same manner as his direct experience.

There was no charade... I did not mislead him. He lifted the curtain of knowledge on his own. Preventing him from doing so would have been a charade in its own right. My son has knowledge that he could not have attained otherwise.
Amperage

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122137 wrote:
Sure. God might have "predestined" us to choose freely. There is no problem about that. He simply did not "predestine" what we would freely choose.
I think the point of Molinism/Middle Knowledge is to say that if a set of circumstances exists in which, if placed in them, you will freely choose x, then God can create this world. So in this way God predestines us; by putting us in a world where, if He wants us to do x then, if a set of conditions exists in which we will freely choose x, that is the world we will find ourselves. However there may not be such a world.

Examine this quote:
Quote:

It is up to God whether I find myself in a world in which I am predestined; But it is up to me whether I am predestined in the world in which I find myself.
The point is God may create a world in which you are predestined to "freely choose" Him if and only if a set of circumstances exists in which, if placed in them, you will "freely choose" Him. The implication is that if such a world does not exist it is not because God did not provide sufficient grace for your salvation(for He, through his middle knowledge, presents each of us with a circumstance where, if we choose otherwise, we would choose Him), but because under no circumstance will you freely choose Him. Basically God provides a world in which we either freely choose Him or freely reject Him(hypothetically the latter only occurring if no such world exists in which under any set of conditions you will choose Him, for if such a world was feasible, He would seemingly have no reason not to create it).
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:02 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;122168 wrote:
When my young son approached the hot oven door, I shouted out... "No!".

Having warned him of the dangers before, he was fully aware that Daddy did not want him to touch it. He understood concepts of "hot" and "no" but did not understand the full implications of his fathers knowledge.

After having touched the hot oven door for himself, he turned his face to me and screamed in frightening pain. I never have to worry about him touching the hot oven door again. He has earned "knowing" on his own, and no amount of warning or description from me could possibly "enlighten" him in the same manner as his direct experience.

There was no charade... I did not mislead him. He lifted the curtain of knowledge on his own. Preventing him from doing so would have been a charade in its own right. My son has knowledge that he could not have attained otherwise.
You are not an all powerful parent let alone a god. If you had that ability you would been able to secure him that knowledge without his pain.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@xris,
xris;122179 wrote:
You are not an all powerful parent let alone a god. If you had that ability you would been able to secure him that knowledge without his pain.

How do you know that?
Amperage

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:08 pm
@kennethamy,
And what if it turned out that that was the absolute best way to secure said knowledge?
xris

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
@Amperage,
You are placing human values to these stories. This god , the question describes, is all powerful, he can do anything he wishes. You continue to place lesser values to his supreme power. If you wish to make him less than all powerful, I will comprehend your inadequate god. Will you lessen his ability on everything else or will you return him his all powerful ability, when it suits your argument. Did he decide our purpose ? our evil intention? our fallability? our weaknesses ? Did he create imperfection and then by degrees, by trial and error, attempt to create perfection...Just a bit bazaar for an all powerful god. Maintain this all powerful god by all means but dont describe him as something less than powerful. HIS NOT LOGICAL.