Why does God permit evil????

ACB

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 07:25 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120554 wrote:
The question is whether it is logically possible that an all good and powerful God has created the best of all possible worlds, namely this one. And, it seems the answer is, yes. It is logically possible.

But the questions in my post #716 are relevant to this specific question. It seems rather vague to me. How do you weigh good against evil? How do you define "best possible world"? Some people (e.g. myself) would define it as the world containing the maximum amount of good compatible with no evil; others may define it differently. Who is right? We don't know how God (if he exists) would define it.

Can this logical possibility be proved, or does it rest on mere assumptions?
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 09:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120642 wrote:
If there is evil, and God can prevent it, but does not, what would you call it?
I am interested in the religious or metaphysical problem or god and/or evil. This includes the consideration of alternative conceptions or descriptions of divine nature and divine action. You confine yourself entirely to the traditional logical problem of evil with the classical scholastic description of god (omnipotence, etc.). For this reason we are pretty much speaking and talking at cross purposes.

I have already allowed that Leibniz offers a logical but not very satisfactory solution to the traditional problem of evil. I would like to see the discussion move on so to speak to more modern and more adequate, more coherent conceptions of god in the world of reason and of science. I do not have the penchant for language analysis and formal problems of logic (logical positivism) that you do.

For me the philosophy of religion is reasoned speculation about the divine nature and divine action in view of the changes in general worldview resulting from the ages of reason, enlightenment and science. The medieval scholastic conception of god formulated prior to these events is no longer coherent and adequate in the modern age. That conception of god does not sell just as Leibniz saying that the concentration camps somehow contributes to the greater good does not sell in any age. The problem of evil especially phrased as "why does god (permit) evil" is not merely a problem in logic. It is also a religous and a metaphysical problem about the nature of evil and the nature of god in general.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:08 am
@prothero,
prothero;120649 wrote:
I am interested in the religious or metaphysical problem or god and/or evil. This includes the consideration of alternative conceptions or descriptions of divine nature and divine action. You confine yourself entirely to the traditional logical problem of evil with the classical scholastic description of god (omnipotence, etc.). For this reason we are pretty much speaking and talking at cross purposes.

I have already allowed that Leibniz offers a logical but not very satisfactory solution to the traditional problem of evil. I would like to see the discussion move on so to speak to more modern and more adequate, more coherent conceptions of god in the world of reason and of science. I do not have the penchant for language analysis and formal problems of logic (logical positivism) that you do.

For me the philosophy of religion is reasoned speculation about the divine nature and divine action in view of the changes in general worldview resulting from the ages of reason, enlightenment and science. The medieval scholastic conception of god formulated prior to these events is no longer coherent and adequate in the modern age. That conception of god does not sell just as Leibniz saying that the concentration camps somehow contributes to the greater good does not sell in any age. The problem of evil especially phrased as "why does god (permit) evil" is not merely a problem in logic. It is also a religous and a metaphysical problem about the nature of evil and the nature of god in general.

The traditional philosophical problem of evil was the logical problem, since the problem was whether the triad, God is all good, God is all powerful, and there is evil, was a consistent triad. So, whether Leibniz offers a solution to the metaphysical problem of evil, namely, whether, supposing the triad is consistent (whether the three propositions can be true together) whether all three proposition are in fact true, is a different issue. That may be the issue that interests you, but it can only be of interest the original logical problem has been solved. For unless the triad of propositions can be true together, they obviously are not, in fact true together. Actuality implies possibility. I am not clear why you think that Leibniz's solution to the logical problem of evil is not satisfactory. Although I agree that the issue is not merely a problem of logic, since as I have pointed out a number of times, there is the addition question of whether in fact all the propositions that constitute the triad are all true together; but it is a problem in logic, and without a satisfactory solution to the logical problem, it is impossible for there to be any solution to the metaphysical question. Something must be possible in order to be actual.
xris

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:29 am
@kennethamy,
So if all three are true then its not logical, is it? The question does not require you to question the facts proposed but why god permits evil. There is no answer.
Quinn phil

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:50 am
@prothero,
If certain evil acts happen to indirectly make us "appreciate" the good, or create more good in our society, then would the evil acts be considered good acts as well? If so, is anything truely evil?

There's a mental illness (I forget the name) that I saw first hand while at a hospital. Basically, your mind functions just fine, just as it does for anyone without Autism. However, they can't really control their body's, or speak, so it looks like they're autistic.

They're trapped inside of their bodies for life. Not being able to express what they feel through physical motion or words. Some say they're luckier then Autistic people, but I disagree. I would go crazy if I couldn't express what I was thinking. Like hell, there is no side out of it. You do not come out of this particular illness appreciating life more, or as a better person, because this illness stays with you for life. Same with hell.

It's hard for me to think that this has any plus sides, only that you receive sympathy, that you may not even want.
xris

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:59 am
@Quinn phil,
Your changing the concept of evil, the question does not require that. You might just as well say its a stupid question because god does not exist. You have to stay within the parameters of the question.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:02 am
@xris,
xris;120664 wrote:
So if all three are true then its not logical, is it? .

Why not? One of these days, you really are going to have to tell me just what you mean by saying something is logical or not logical. It is a real mystery. If the three propositions are all true, then they must be consistent, and if they are consistent, then they are logical.
Quinn phil

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:22 am
@xris,
xris;120670 wrote:
Your changing the concept of evil, the question does not require that. You might just as well say its a stupid question because god does not exist. You have to stay within the parameters of the question.

You're*
it's*

I thought this whole conversation was about sucking it up and pretending that God was real, for the sake of argument, (Hence, the title).

And what is your concept of evil? Again, it's not a universal thing... Let's just say that an evil deed is a sin. Or maybe being evil is going against the law? Is it something that's immoral, or unconstitutional? Or is it something far greater, like torture? Some people believe masterbating to be a very evil deed. Well, I don't. Do you?

Here's the web definition.... "morally objectionable behavior"
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120671 wrote:
Why not? One of these days, you really are going to have to tell me just what you mean by saying something is logical or not logical. It is a real mystery. If the three propositions are all true, then they must be consistent, and if they are consistent, then they are logical.
If all three are true and the question is logical,you tell me what the logical answer is or even could be?

---------- Post added 01-17-2010 at 12:30 PM ----------

Quinn;120674 wrote:
You're*
it's*

I thought this whole conversation was about sucking it up and pretending that God was real, for the sake of argument, (Hence, the title).

And what is your concept of evil? Again, it's not a universal thing... Let's just say that an evil deed is a sin. Or maybe being evil is going against the law? Is it something that's immoral, or unconstitutional? Or is it something far greater, like torture? Some people believe masterbating to be a very evil deed. Well, I don't. Do you?

Here's the web definition.... "morally objectionable behavior"
Are you questioning the question or not? Im not. If you want to change the concept of evil or the concept of all powerful or even the accepted concept of god then the questions has changed. The question request we take all three at their face value.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 01:03 pm
@xris,
xris;120675 wrote:
If all three are true and the question is logical,you tell me what the logical answer is or even could be?

---------- Post added 01-17-2010 at 12:30 PM ----------

If each member of the triad is true, then the triad is consistent, since that would mean that each member of the triad could be true, and it each member of the triad could be true, then the triad is a consitent triad. Now, since logic is about consistency, the answer to your question, whether the triad is logical, must be, yes.
prothero

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 01:47 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;120661]I am not clear why you think that Leibniz's solution to the logical problem of evil is not satisfactory. Although I agree that the issue is not merely a problem of logic, since as I have pointed out a number of times, there is the addition question of whether in fact all the propositions that constitute the triad are all true together; but it is a problem in logic, and without a satisfactory solution to the logical solution, it is impossible for there to be any solution to the metaphysical question. Something must be possible in order to be actual. [/QUOTE] I assure you:
To the mother whose child dies of leukemia
To the father of the child raped by a sexual predator
To the survivors of the killing fields of Cambodia or the death camps of Auschwitz
The god who "permits" evil is not a god worthy of worship.
The Leibniz solution does not carry or convince and what good is a religious conception that does not withstand the evil, pain, suffering and tragedies of life.
Limiting the question to the logical question and ignoring the metaphysical or religious aspects of the question is the least meaningful way to ask or answer why does god "permit" evil. It might make a nice logical problem to you but for the person struggling to maintain faith in the face of tragedy it does not convince.

Try a different conception of god: try approaching the religious instead of the logical problem.
God (at least no god worthy of worship) does not "permit" such things. These things are not part of the divine purpose or part of the divine plan. They do not happen because of god, god does not "permit" evil, they happen despite god. Without god all would be primordial chaos and the formless void, there would nothing of value whatsoever. There is evil and darkness in the world, for such is the state of the world before god, it is god that imposes order upon the formless void and struggles to bring forth value out of chaos. At least in religious language that how it goes.

The reason only the logical questions appeals to you?
The reason the logical question does not appeal to me? I am a theist and I am looking not merely for a logical conception of god but a religiously and aesthetically coherent conception.
xris

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120679 wrote:
If each member of the triad is true, then the triad is consistent, since that would mean that each member of the triad could be true, and it each member of the triad could be true, then the triad is a consitent triad. Now, since logic is about consistency, the answer to your question, whether the triad is logical, must be, yes.
Triad, logical they are all just words with no meaning. You cant convince anyone with charades. Answer my question give me a logical answer, why, if this a logical question, give me logical response to why god allows evil?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 05:35 pm
@prothero,
prothero;120682 wrote:
I assure you:
To the mother whose child dies of leukemia
To the father of the child raped by a sexual predator
To the survivors of the killing fields of Cambodia or the death camps of Auschwitz
The god who "permits" evil is not a god worthy of worship.
The Leibniz solution does not carry or convince and what good is a religious conception that does not withstand the evil, pain, suffering and tragedies of life.
Limiting the question to the logical question and ignoring the metaphysical or religious aspects of the question is the least meaningful way to ask or answer why does god "permit" evil. It might make a nice logical problem to you but for the person struggling to maintain faith in the face of tragedy it does not convince.

Try a different conception of god: try approaching the religious instead of the logical problem.
God (at least no god worthy of worship) does not "permit" such things. These things are not part of the divine purpose or part of the divine plan. They do not happen because of god, god does not "permit" evil, they happen despite god. Without god all would be primordial chaos and the formless void, there would nothing of value whatsoever. There is evil and darkness in the world, for such is the state of the world before god, it is god that imposes order upon the formless void and struggles to bring forth value out of chaos. At least in religious language that how it goes.

The reason only the logical questions appeals to you?
The reason the logical question does not appeal to me? I am a theist and I am looking not merely for a logical conception of god but a religiously and aesthetically coherent conception.

It may very well be true that people in trouble or grief are not placated by Leibniz's solution. But what is that supposed to show. Just that they are not interested in the problem Leibniz's solution solves. But, so what? The purpose of philosophy is not give solace.

---------- Post added 01-17-2010 at 06:37 PM ----------

xris;120685 wrote:
Triad, logical they are all just words with no meaning. You cant convince anyone with charades. Answer my question give me a logical answer, why, if this a logical question, give me logical response to why god allows evil?

As Dr. Samuel Johnson once said to someone he was arguing with: "Sir, I can give you an argument, but I cannot give you understanding".
prothero

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 05:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120706 wrote:
It may very well be true that people in trouble or grief are not placated by Leibniz's solution. But what is that supposed to show. Just that they are not interested in the problem Leibniz's solution solves. But, so what? The purpose of philosophy is not give solace..
No, but it is part of the purpose of religion and dealing with evil and the concept of god are both primarily religious not logical propositions.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:37 pm
@prothero,
prothero;120711 wrote:
No, but it is part of the purpose of religion and dealing with evil and the concept of god are both primarily religious not logical propositions.

Could be, but isn't this the philosophy of religion, and not religion?
prothero

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 08:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120716 wrote:
Could be, but isn't this the philosophy of religion, and not religion?
Well I not being of the analytic philosophy, language analysis and logical positivism school of philosophy, think philosophy is reasoned speculation about matters metaphysical. The philosophy of religion would then be reasoned speculation about the nature of god and gods action in the world including the relationship of evil to god. A somewhat broader topic than the "traditional problem of evil", its logical analysis and the solution of Leibniz. But the thread is yours until something of more interest than Leibniz and the traditional conception of god comes forth from someone other than me. :brickwall:
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:00 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;120456 wrote:
I cringe every time I hear this statement because it is grossly over stated and sorry to say, incorrect. Despite myself wanting to support it, I can't and here is why.

Technically, god could be good and perfectly good in definition and also allow evil to occur. How is that possible? Well because the solution of evil might not be how we would solve it. For example, god could forgo "our" response to evil with his response to evil. ie. later on he justifies all evils. So in a sense god fulfills his goodness by bringing all those things that were evil, to justice. We think the very allowance of evil to occur would constitute god not owning to the definition of perfect goodness. Why does preventing evil become the only means by which perfect goodness could arise? Here is a possible example, and mind you very hypothetical.

A dog owner has two vicious dogs. Knowing the nature of his violent dogs he has placed them into a kennel together despite what other dog owners would think. "You can't place two vicious dogs in the same space or they will tear each other to bits." The dog owner of course knows that to be a possibility but goes through with it anyways. Now it would seem as though by allowing such a thing to happen, he is not preventing the evil but becomes a catalyst for evil to happen. Which is true, however there is a possibility that the two vicious dogs might fight and grow bored of fighting each other and learn to accept each others presence. Those who would be quick to deny such a possibility are being close minded. Now if the dog owner knew with absolute certainty that the dogs would fight, but later grow to accept each other, then is it evil to place them in the same kennel together? It wouldn't be. So would keeping them seperate be the ultimate goodness or perfect goodness? No, because the dogs still have the potential to be vicious towards each other. In other words, if god knows that by allowing evil it will bring about goodness then by all means he is actually fulfilling the definition even though it sounds like a contradiction. This is a HUGE assumption though and it would HAVE to mean that for every evil there is a good result, but that is incredibly sketchy if true.

So ultimately evil could be the means to a perfect end. Despite my disagreement and rather harshness that it comes from evil actions, it does on occasion lead to something positive. As dangerous as that is to say, it can't be denied.

So if you want to be a good parent, always keep your children separated so you can always be certain they will never bring harm towards each other. Then and only then could you be considered a good parent.

Hi Krumple now that is a really great post and sums up what I believe on the matter more eloquently than I could, in fact the best summary I have read on the topic
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 01:42 am
@prothero,
prothero;120726 wrote:
Well I not being of the analytic philosophy, language analysis and logical positivism school of philosophy, think philosophy is reasoned speculation about matters metaphysical. The philosophy of religion would then be reasoned speculation about the nature of god and gods action in the world including the relationship of evil to god. A somewhat broader topic than the "traditional problem of evil", its logical analysis and the solution of Leibniz. But the thread is yours until something of more interest than Leibniz and the traditional conception of god comes forth from someone other than me. :brickwall:

But the problem of evil is a subtopic under the philosophy of religion. It does seems to me that we can discuss something without discussing everything. And, I don't believe that Leibniz was of the language analysis, logical positivism, school of philosophy. I don't really see how my discussion of the problem was especially linguistic, nor certainly, logical positivistic. Although I do hope there was logic involved. But I suppose we tend to see what we expect to see, regardless of what is there.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 02:04 am
@kennethamy,
This topic is more profound than one expected. that is why the thead has lasted so Long!

The Problem of Evil (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

If God is morally perfect, then God has the desire to eliminate all evil.

There exists an omnipotent and omniscient person who created the Universe and who has no intrinsic concern about the pain or pleasure of other beings. (1989, 26)

There is no omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect being.
  1. If God exists, then he is, by definition, an omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect being
Hume advanced, then, an evidential argument from evil that has a distinctly different logical form than that involved in direct inductive arguments, for the idea is to point to some proposition that is logically incompatible with theism, and then to argue that, given facts about undesirable states of affairs to be found in the world, that hypothesis is more probable than theism, and, therefore, that theism is more likely to be false than to be true.

There may four hypotheses be framed concerning the first causes of the universe: that they are endowed with perfect goodness, that they are endowed with perfect malice, that they are opposite and have both goodness and malice, that they have neither goodness nor malice. Mixed phenomena can never prove the two former unmixed principles. And the uniformity and steadiness of general laws seems to oppose the third. The fourth, therefore, seems be far the most probable. (1779, Part XI, 212)

Given either a direct or indirect inductive formulation of the argument from evil, what sorts of responses are possible? A useful way of dividing up possible responses is into what may be referred to as total refutations, defenses, and theodicies. This classification is based upon the following line of thought.

The advocate of the argument from evil is claiming, in the first place, that there are facts about evil in the world that make it prima facie unreasonable to believe in the existence of God, and, in the second place, that the situation is not altered when those facts are conjoined with all the other things that one is justified in believing, both inferentially and non-inferentially, so that belief in the existence of God is also unreasonable relative to the total evidence available, together with all relevant basis states. In responding to the argument from evil, then, one might challenge either of these claims.

That is to say, one might grant, at least for the sake of argument, that there are facts about evil that, other things being equal, render belief in God unreasonable, but then argue that when those considerations are embedded within one's total epistemic situation, belief in the existence of God can be seen to be reasonable, all things considered. Alternatively, one might defend the more radical thesis that there are no facts about evil in the world that make it even prima facie unreasonable to believe in the existence of God.

No good that we know of justifies an omnipotent, omniscient, perfectly good being in permitting E1 and E2;
(G) There is an omnipotent, omniscient, perfectly good being.
xris

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 04:16 am
@Alan McDougall,
Very well put Alan but the fact remains you wont get a reasoned response. The question posed from the start is illogical not unless you question any of those three claims. If you question any one of those three claims it invalidates the original question.