xris

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:28 am
@jknilinux,
jknilinux wrote:
xris-

The reason why the amount of atheist criminals is a minority is because atheists are a minority, not because atheists are nicer.

Well, just now xris mentioned bleeding rocks and crying statues, which is obviously catholic. Earlier, he mentioned the paradox of the trinity, which is also confined to the catholics. And, from experience, I know catholicism-related paradoxes are cited quite often in atheist vs. theist arguments.

Anyway, that's all off-topic, because, like I said, this thread was meant to be about whether one should be atheist or not, not about whether atheism is right or not.
Oh dear me the proportion of atheists to believers not the numbers and i did not mention the trinity...if you want me to confine my arguments about faith in general i will but then dont give me miracles as examples of proof of god..
0 Replies

jknilinux

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:43 am
@jknilinux,
I wasn't the one with the miracles.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:14 am
@jknilinux,
jknilinux;34716 wrote:
However, right now, it seems to me that the atheists are still using their robotic instincts as goals- the goal to survive, the goal to discover, the goal to be happy, the goal to make others happy. These are all just instincts, so IMO there's still no meaning.
Stop being a philosopher and start being a human for a second!

I just picked up, hugged and kissed, and played with my 7 month old whom I love more than life itself the same as any theist might.

How is this robotic? How is this rote instinct?

Fundamentally we are all very similar to one another regardless of what we believe. We feel, we care, we want, we love, we hate, etc. Feeling, emotion are innate to us, and the things that have meaning are the things we feel most strongly about.

And if you back-rationalize it onto a belief in a deity, then fine. I don't, and it doesn't at all diminish my humanity.
0 Replies

ciceronianus

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@jknilinux,
I think catholicism tends to come up in these debates more often than not simply because catholics throughout history have spent a good deal of time trying to justify their faith philosophically, in the past, generally by borrowing extensively from Plato or Aristotle, depending on personal preference.
0 Replies

jknilinux

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@jknilinux,
cicerroneous-

Ah yes, Aquinas... That's an interesting (yet unfortunately off-topic) can of worms, although like I said, I think you can't prove God because He doesn't want to be proved- that eliminates faith.

Aedes-

I don't back-rationalize this as proof of a deity, and I never said atheism diminishes one's humanity.
Everything we think of as basic parts of being "human" are simply methods of improving evolutionary success. Emotions, like fear and happiness, for example, lets us categorize the stimuli we receive from the world around us. So, yes- love is a robotic instinct.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:15 pm
@jknilinux,
To call our most quintessentially human and strongest felt emotions "robotic instinct" is one of the more nihilistic indictments of the human mind I've ever heard.

Furthermore, the only way you can present that honestly is to say that if there's a god then we're all puppets -- since If there is no god we're all robots.
NeitherExtreme

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:03 pm
@Aedes,
Actually I agree with you Aedes. (I guess that can happen. :bigsmile:) Free vs. Robot is not the same question as Thiest vs Athiest. There have been "Free Thiests", "Free Athiests", "Robotic Thiests" (pre-determination), and "Robotic Athiests". And there's something of a paradox underlying each view... So in the end I think a person is just going to have to accept some existential paradox, and find other reasons for justifying their belief. (I don't feel like pointing out each paradox now, but I can give them if anyone wants them.)
0 Replies

jknilinux

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:17 pm
@jknilinux,
Aedes-

To call our emotions, etc... instincts is not the same as denying free will. Consciousness is one thing we have that's not an instinct.

Neither extreme-

By robot vs. free, do you mean no-free-will vs. free will? If so, I'd like to see a paradox within the two robotic possibilities.

Anyway, I was just trying to show the nihilism that still results when an atheist states that the only meaning in their life is their emotions.
jknilinux

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:42 pm
@jknilinux,
Are there any free-will-based rejections of Pascal's wager that anyone's aware of?
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:49 pm
@jknilinux,
jknilinux wrote:

Neither extreme-

By robot vs. free, do you mean no-free-will vs. free will? If so, I'd like to see a paradox within the two robotic possibilities.

Well, I can see this might go way off topic, so I'm not going go in depth. For the thiest a robotic scenerio creates a problem because God would be holding people accountable for things they have no control over. The athiest, or materialist, a robotic scenerio creates an existential paradox because our existence is wrapped up around choice, and attempting to live as though we (and others) have no choice in our lives is impossible.

But anyhow, if free will is not what you're discussing, please feel free to ignore me. Smile
0 Replies

jknilinux

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:02 pm
@jknilinux,
Well, whenever a tangent comes up, I like to explore it, but only for one or two posts. So, you're fine. Anyway, I don't really consider those disproofs or paradoxes. They're just uncomfortable.

For example, it is not inconceivable that God would make us robots and judge us "unfairly" for things we had no control over.
However, IMO, if we were robots, then we wouldn't have the ability to complain in the first place, and He's not doing anything unethical- He's just judging robots. I judge my computer for crashing all the time, but that doesn't make it unfair- the computer's just non-conscious. So either way, it still works out.
NeitherExtreme

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:19 pm
@jknilinux,
jknilinux wrote:
Well, whenever a tangent comes up, I like to explore it, but only for one or two posts. So, you're fine. Anyway, I don't really consider those disproofs or paradoxes. They're just uncomfortable.

Sounds fair to me. Smile
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:59 pm
@jknilinux,
jknilinux;34869 wrote:
To call our emotions, etc... instincts is not the same as denying free will.
Well, it's certainly a misunderstanding of the word "instinct". An instinct is an unconscious or subconscious behavior that occurs with particular stimuli. Emotions, thoughts, and feelings are by definition not instincts. Sure, they've got biological mechanisms, but then again so does consciousness.

Quote:
Anyway, I was just trying to show the nihilism that still results when an atheist states that the only meaning in their life is their emotions.
Again, stop being a philosopher and spend a minute thinking like a human. I find meaning in many things, and I don't believe in God. Period. Nothing nihilistic about it. Can I justify my meaning in an "ultimate" sense? No, but neither can a theist, because God is probably the single most commonly used circular argument in the history of mankind.
Solace

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 10:45 pm
@Aedes,
Quote:

God is probably the single most commonly used circular argument in the history of mankind.

True enough that.

For the theists, why do you want God or everlasting life, or whatever other spiritual thing, to be the ultimate meaning of your life anyway? Sometimes I think that theists worry so much about the meaning of life that they forget to just live it, and thus never hope to ever grasp any meaning to it anyway.

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 05:46 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
True enough that.

For the theists, why do you want God or everlasting life, or whatever other spiritual thing, to be the ultimate meaning of your life anyway? Sometimes I think that theists worry so much about the meaning of life that they forget to just live it, and thus never hope to ever grasp any meaning to it anyway.

with that eastern crap about 'living contendly and not questioning' we would still be in a cave banging rocks together and grunting. If you don't want to ask these questions or 'worry' about them then maybe philosophy is not for you?:rolleyes:
ariciunervos

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 05:52 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
For the theists, why do you want God or everlasting life, or whatever other spiritual thing, to be the ultimate meaning of your life anyway?

Great question. Simple answer though !

A population of green bugs, living in green grass will go toward extinction if persistent drought turns the grass yellow, because the bugs are no longer camouflaged from predators. If they get lucky (and 99% of all species didn't get lucky and are now extinct) there will be some baby bugs born with the beneficial mutation that turns them yellow, thus camouflaging them in yellow grass, effectively POSTPONING DEATH and extinction. Basic stuff, really.

A more complicated tool employed by evolution to POSTPONE DEATH is what humans call fear.
Fearless antelopes are dead antelopes. "Look at the cute little lion, aww, so cute". That's a dead antelope, an antelope that doesn't get to pass its fearlessness onward. Fear is built in by evolution in every organism in the food chain. Fearless antelopes are (have been) weeded out by natural selection. Obviously fear fear also governs human beings. When you see a bear charging, you don't say "Peace and long life" and do the Vulcan salute. You instinctively run from or shoot it. There is no "thinking" going on, you act like a machine that's programmed to stay alive, just as you would step away when you look up and see bricks falling. You just GTFO without thought, effectively POSTPONING your DEATH. Just like antelopes and lions. Extremely useful stuff, this fear thing, no wonder natural selection eliminates fearless organisms.

To the subject at hand, Solace's question, "why do you want God or everlasting life", well, the answer is simple, yet quite hard to swallow, as it devalues religions.

Think about it. How does evolution work ? Whichever organism is better suited to POSTPONE DEATH gets to pass onward its death-postponing properties more often (simply because it has more time to do so, by not being dead). Reaching the ability to live forever, that is, evolving to a form that can FOREVER POSTPONE DEATH is the ultimate goal of any biological entity undergoing an evolutionary process.

But this is a slow process. Humans are complicated machines, cells don't renew themselves properly, with time we grow old and die, just like iron, with time, rusts away. While evolution still goes on, giving some people resistance to the plague, to heart disease or unbreakable bones (see yalemedicine.yale.edu) we don't have patience to reach immortality naturally, by evolving. So we study things like medicine, biology, biochemistry, genetics and all that stuff, greatly increasing average life expectancy from 25 years to 65 years. 65 years is far from immortality though !

We die, and have been conditioned to be afraid of dying because it's useful to the evolutionary process to be afraid of dying. But we don't like fear so ... why not live forever! Our bodies die, our brains die, but our minds(!) will live(?) forever in the spiritual world(?!). Extremely comforting solution, as it allows one to accept death while guaranteeing everlasting life. It doesn't make sense but it doesn't need to.

Religion cuts the corner, reaching the pinnacle of evolution that is a perfectly self renewing and thus everlasting organism, by replacing the concept of life as we know it with afterlife, living while being dead. Funny stuff, isn't it ? Very Happy

Thanks for reading.

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:30 am
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
Great question. Simple answer though !

A population of green bugs, living in green grass will go toward extinction if persistent drought turns the grass yellow, because the bugs are no longer camouflaged from predators. If they get lucky (and 99% of all species didn't get lucky and are now extinct) there will be some baby bugs born with the beneficial mutation that turns them yellow, thus camouflaging them in yellow grass, effectively POSTPONING DEATH and extinction. Basic stuff, really.

A more complicated tool employed by evolution to POSTPONE DEATH is what humans call fear.
Fearless antelopes are dead antelopes. "Look at the cute little lion, aww, so cute". That's a dead antelope, an antelope that doesn't get to pass its fearlessness onward. Fear is built in by evolution in every organism in the food chain. Fearless antelopes are (have been) weeded out by natural selection. Obviously fear fear also governs human beings. When you see a bear charging, you don't say "Peace and long life" and do the Vulcan salute. You instinctively run from or shoot it. There is no "thinking" going on, you act like a machine that's programmed to stay alive, just as you would step away when you look up and see bricks falling. You just GTFO without thought, effectively POSTPONING your DEATH. Just like antelopes and lions. Extremely useful stuff, this fear thing, no wonder natural selection eliminates fearless organisms.

To the subject at hand, Solace's question, "why do you want God or everlasting life", well, the answer is simple, yet quite hard to swallow, as it devalues religions.

Think about it. How does evolution work ? Whichever organism is better suited to POSTPONE DEATH gets to pass onward its death-postponing properties more often (simply because it has more time to do so, by not being dead). Reaching the ability to live forever, that is, evolving to a form that can FOREVER POSTPONE DEATH is the ultimate goal of any biological entity undergoing an evolutionary process.

But this is a slow process. Humans are complicated machines, cells don't renew themselves properly, with time we grow old and die, just like iron, with time, rusts away. While evolution still goes on, giving some people resistance to the plague, to heart disease or unbreakable bones (see yalemedicine.yale.edu) we don't have patience to reach immortality naturally, by evolving. So we study things like medicine, biology, biochemistry, genetics and all that stuff, greatly increasing average life expectancy from 25 years to 65 years. 65 years is far from immortality though !

We die, and have been conditioned to be afraid of dying because it's useful to the evolutionary process to be afraid of dying. But we don't like fear so ... why not live forever! Our bodies die, our brains die, but our minds(!) will live(?) forever in the spiritual world(?!). Extremely comforting solution, as it allows one to accept death while guaranteeing everlasting life. It doesn't make sense but it doesn't need to.

Religion cuts the corner, reaching the pinnacle of evolution that is a perfectly self renewing and thus everlasting organism, by replacing the concept of life as we know it with afterlife, living while being dead. Funny stuff, isn't it ? Very Happy

Thanks for reading.

go extinct already, you poorly evolved fool!:thats-enough:
Khethil

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
@avatar6v7,
Let's please keep the dialog off the individuals and on the issues.

This is a touchy, sensitive area; and I'd hate to see another thread get locked.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:08 am
@avatar6v7,
with that eastern crap about 'living contendly and not questioning' we would still be in a cave banging rocks together and grunting.
Yeah, that's why all those people in the east just live in caves and bang rocks together. Amazing they have enough caves and rocks for all of them. :nonooo:
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:18 am
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos;34939 wrote:
How does evolution work ? Whichever organism is better suited to POSTPONE DEATH gets to pass onward its death-postponing properties more often (simply because it has more time to do so, by not being dead). Reaching the ability to live forever, that is, evolving to a form that can FOREVER POSTPONE DEATH is the ultimate goal of any biological entity undergoing an evolutionary process.
There are some very large inaccuracies here that you speak of as if it's biological truth. First of all, it's striking how many people on this forum speak of biological processes teleologically, as if they innately have some goal in mind. They don't. There is NO "ultimate goal of any biological entity" -- this is one of the most rudimentary points of all biological science!!! Biological processes are what they are and do what they do; and by several methods (including but absolutely not limited to natural selection) certain biological properties increase in prevalence within populations.

Secondly, postponing death is NOT the fundamental determinant of natural selection, not even close!! The fundamental determinant is reproductive fitness. Its interest in death stops at organisms surviving to reproductive age and their offspring subsequently surviving to reproduce. But before you wax poetic about immortality, realize the following:

1) biological senscence (aging) is associated with worse reproductive outcomes, like chromosomal errors, so having the elderly reproduce is NOT in the interest of populations

2) for species with altricious offspring, as we have, the great length of time to rear and raise children also belies the logic in old parents

3) some species, like some salmon, mate once and then die; other species die immediately after mating or the female kills the male (like mantids and other insects); and some species live in communities in which most individuals never mate in their entire life (bees) -- clearly evolution has brought these qualities about.