Icon

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:02 am
@avatar6v7,
but what do you mean by 'better', I am saying that good and god are the same entity- and if there was no good, no god, there would be no universe, and it is therefore a moot point. You can say you do good but you cannot justify it.

Read my post. God is a paradox in more than one way. You cannot prove him. I have a better chance of proving that the universe is nothing more than my comatose dream than you have of proving God

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:04 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Read my post. God is a paradox in more than one way. You cannot prove him. I have a better chance of proving that the universe is nothing more than my comatose dream than you have of proving God

You cannot prove that you exist. Do you doubt your own existance? God is a paradox, but this is because only a paradox can logically explain the universe- it is his trancendent nature.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:06 am
@jknilinux,
You still did not read my previous post.
ciceronianus

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:08 am
@avatar6v7,
I am not going to suggest that atheists have meaningless lives, but none of them are aware that the meaning is given by god.
One thing in particular is worth mentioning here. What is good? For instance- 'Why did you help that person?' 'Because it was a good thing to do.' 'Why was it good?' 'Because it was good.' Good is the only thing that has no reason or cause other than itself. It trancends all other things, and we wish to obey it without having a reason other than the thing itself. You cannot deny that this is the case. Thus we worship good, and call it god. For this is what god is- good.

How many people actually define "God" in such an abstract fashion? I personally find it easier to accept a God which is not a "personal" God, i.e. one watching over us, intervening in our lives, answering prayers, etc., and very admirable philosophies with high standards of morality have been developed which acknowledge, in a fashion, the existence of a "distant" god or gods (see Epictetus, Epircurus, for example). It seems many theists, though, want or need something more, and apparently believe something more is needed in order to make life "meaningful." I don't think a "personal" god is required in order for us to live morally, or give our lives meaning. If that is the case, however, what is the practical difference between believing in the existence of an abstract, distant god and believing in no god whatsoever, and why can't the latter be as able to live moral, meaningful lives as the former?

Regarding Pascal's wager, Khethil, I don't think there is much more to be said than what has been referred to earlier.

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:10 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
You still did not read my previous post.

yeah you claiming there was no good or evil. you were lieing. you recognise that your vision of the universe is right, hence, good.

ciceronianus wrote:
How many people actually define "God" in such an abstract fashion? I personally find it easier to accept a God which is not a "personal" God, i.e. one watching over us, intervening in our lives, answering prayers, etc., and very admirable philosophies with high standards of morality have been developed which acknowledge, in a fashion, the existence of a "distant" god or gods (see Epictetus, Epircurus, for example). It seems many theists, though, want or need something more, and apparently believe something more is needed in order to make life "meaningful." I don't think a "personal" god is required in order for us to live morally, or give our lives meaning. If that is the case, however, what is the practical difference between believing in the existence of an abstract, distant god and believing in no god whatsoever, and why can't the latter be as able to live moral, meaningful lives as the former?

Regarding Pascal's wager, Khethil, I don't think there is much more to be said than what has been referred to earlier.

god is paradoxically both immanent and trancendant. this is the paradox of the trinity- god appears in human form, but he is also beyond our universe.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:14 am
@jknilinux,
If god is all powerful, can he create a rock so large that not even he can lift it?

I don't see my view of the universe as "right". I see it as currently, the culmination of my knowledge. It will change. It always changes. I am always wrong because I do not know everything. I don't have all the information and so I don't have all of the factor. I never claim to be right. I always talk in possibilities, not definites.

The problem with Theism is that it leaves no room to be wrong. As a flawed being, when you can't be wrong, you can't be right either as the two define each other.

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:23 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
If god is all powerful, can he create a rock so large that not even he can lift it?

I don't see my view of the universe as "right". I see it as currently, the culmination of my knowledge. It will change. It always changes. I am always wrong because I do not know everything. I don't have all the information and so I don't have all of the factor. I never claim to be right. I always talk in possibilities, not definites.

The problem with Theism is that it leaves no room to be wrong. As a flawed being, when you can't be wrong, you can't be right either.

As to the first the answer is yes and he has. Jesus could not lift a verly large number of rocks. This is an example of self limitation. But on the other hand he could make the rock into dust or cause it to fly, or simply lift it anyway. The limitations exist and are not broken but trancended.
secondly, yeah you do. we allways think we are right until we think we are right about somthing else. you hold views because you think they are the right ones to hold or you wouldn't hold them.
Finnally there is no standpoint that leaves space for being wrong. It may not try and express as much, thus increasing the potential for new statements to be made on top of it, but it does not admit that it is incorrect about what it does say.
Icon

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:28 am
@jknilinux,
First of all, if god could create a rock so large that he could not lift it then he cannot be all powerful because he now has a limit. If he CAN lift it then he cannot be all powerful because he has a limit. So god cannot be what you think of him as.

Second, just because YOU can't conceive of someone living life while thinking that they are always wrong does not mean it cannot happen. I think myself always incorrect. Period. There is no more to it. My purpose in life is to finally achieve something truthful. Anything will do. But I do not consider myself or my actions correct because there is ALWAYS the probability of flaw or fault.

Finally, if you cannot admit to the possibility of being wrong then you can NEVER hope to take steps to proving yourself correct. If you are not wrong then there is no reason to question. If there is no reason to question then there is no reason for proof, if there is no reason for proof then there IS no proof and without proof you have nothing more than a fluffy idea.
xris

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:32 am
@avatar6v7,
As to the first the answer is yes and he has. Jesus could not lift a verly large number of rocks. This is an example of self limitation. But on the other hand he could make the rock into dust or cause it to fly, or simply lift it anyway. The limitations exist and are not broken but trancended.
secondly, yeah you do. we allways think we are right until we think we are right about somthing else. you hold views because you think they are the right ones to hold or you wouldn't hold them.
Finnally there is no standpoint that leaves space for being wrong. It may not try and express as much, thus increasing the potential for new statements to be made on top of it, but it does not admit that it is incorrect about what it does say.
why does debating with the faithful always end up arguing the impossible with reality? you have not given one little inny winny bit of proof of god but you expect us to debate about good and god as if its a forgone conclusion..you have to prove god before you can make these claims..
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:33 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
First of all, if god could create a rock so large that he could not lift it then he cannot be all powerful because he now has a limit. If he CAN lift it then he cannot be all powerful because he has a limit. So god cannot be what you think of him as.

Second, just because YOU can't conceive of someone living life while thinking that they are always wrong does not mean it cannot happen. I think myself always incorrect. Period. There is no more to it. My purpose in life is to finally achieve something truthful. Anything will do. But I do not consider myself or my actions correct because there is ALWAYS the probability of flaw or fault.

Finally, if you cannot admit to the possibility of being wrong then you can NEVER hope to take steps to proving yourself correct. If you are not wrong then there is no reason to question. If there is no reason to question then there is no reason for proof, if there is no reason for proof then there IS no proof and without proof you have nothing more than a fluffy idea.

first- I already answered the question. God can be a being incapable and capable of lifting the rock simultaneously.
second- but you think that that is correct, or are you lying?
third- I wasn't clear. I think that to believe anything is to say that it is right- we can recognise the possibility of being wrong but we still think that we are right up until the point we don't. Do you see?
Icon

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:54 am
@avatar6v7,
first- I already answered the question. God can be a being incapable and capable of lifting the rock simultaneously.
second- but you think that that is correct, or are you lying?
third- I wasn't clear. I think that to believe anything is to say that it is right- we can recognise the possibility of being wrong but we still think that we are right up until the point we don't. Do you see?

You seem to be missing my point. I take action, yes. I take the action which seems to best fit the situation. But I never think my actions to be correct. All that I do is flawed and will never be correct until I understand everything. Thus I can never be right. Ever. But that does not bother me. It is the drive that keeps me going and keeps me performing actions. The knowledge of always being wrong is not a problem for me. It is my motivation to do better. I have no beliefs and do not have faith in anything other than my ability to take action. Incorrect action but action none the less.

I know it is hard to wrap your head around as I seem to have that problem with everyone. No one seems to be able to conceive of a life where you are never right. All I can offer is that I live just fine in this manner and, instead of quitting because it is impossible, I blindly push forward to achieve the unachieveable.

As far as God goes, this is my point. You cannot prove God, you cannot show me God, you cannot rationalize or reason with God, you canno have a conversation or perceive God and you make excuses for his existence which have no base in any sort of reality. So tell me, why the blind belief?

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:14 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
You seem to be missing my point. I take action, yes. I take the action which seems to best fit the situation. But I never think my actions to be correct. All that I do is flawed and will never be correct until I understand everything. Thus I can never be right. Ever. But that does not bother me. It is the drive that keeps me going and keeps me performing actions. The knowledge of always being wrong is not a problem for me. It is my motivation to do better. I have no beliefs and do not have faith in anything other than my ability to take action. Incorrect action but action none the less.

I know it is hard to wrap your head around as I seem to have that problem with everyone. No one seems to be able to conceive of a life where you are never right. All I can offer is that I live just fine in this manner and, instead of quitting because it is impossible, I blindly push forward to achieve the unachieveable.

As far as God goes, this is my point. You cannot prove God, you cannot show me God, you cannot rationalize or reason with God, you canno have a conversation or perceive God and you make excuses for his existence which have no base in any sort of reality. So tell me, why the blind belief?

But you think that it is right to act based on the situation. That is what you think is right. I understand it perfectly, I am just saying that you think somthing is right even if it only that nothing (or rather everything else) is incorrect.
What is your basis of proof? tell me. then I will give you proof. but I don't guarentee you'll like it.
Icon

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:20 am
@avatar6v7,
But you think that it is right to act based on the situation. That is what you think is right. I understand it perfectly, I am just saying that you think somthing is right even if it only that nothing (or rather everything else) is incorrect.
What is your basis of proof? tell me. then I will give you proof. but I don't guarentee you'll like it.

See, again, you don't understand. I don't think the action I take is right or more correct than any other. I don't categorize like that. My mind does not work in that way. My mind works differently and trying to explain that to you would be the equivalent of trying to explain blue to a blind man. it is something we will never have in common nor will we ever understand each other in that way. I take action which will most likely lead to results that I am willing to handle with the understanding that I cannot control the outcome, only the action itself. It is a terrible mess of logic but it works for me.

My basis of proof: Anything that is beyond doubt or dispute which can be experienced in the same way by everyone. Evidence that is both physical and actual that cannot have another explaination.

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
See, again, you don't understand. I don't think the action I take is right or more correct than any other. I don't categorize like that. My mind does not work in that way. My mind works differently and trying to explain that to you would be the equivalent of trying to explain blue to a blind man. it is something we will never have in common nor will we ever understand each other in that way. I take action which will most likely lead to results that I am willing to handle with the understanding that I cannot control the outcome, only the action itself. It is a terrible mess of logic but it works for me.

My basis of proof: Anything that is beyond doubt or dispute which can be experienced in the same way by everyone. Evidence that is both physical and actual that cannot have another explaination.

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:
sorry about that, and you probably feel the same way but how much clearer do I have to make this? Ok here goes-
Icon wrote:
I don't think the action I take is right or more correct than any other. I don't categorize like that. My mind does not work in that way.

Is this view correct?
Aedes

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:31 am
@jknilinux,
jknilinux;34317 wrote:
So existence is relative?
It's what you make out of it. Existence itself may not be relative -- but who cares? It is what it is. You are completely free to make out of it what you want.

Quote:
Also, I am familiar with evolution, and I know how it works- it depends on random changes in genotype, leading to random changes in phenotype. Phenotypes that lead to more offspring will allow the genotype to continue in a greater ratio to the next generation. Repeat a quintillion times, and you get us. Our only goal, therefore: reproduction. That is, if there is no God.
This is grossly incomplete or incorrect in many ways, and to say "you know how it works" is not merited by your understanding. You do not understand the word random, which is a statement of equal probability and not a statement about whether something was consciously guided or not. You do not understand the mechanics of molecular genetics, and you do not understand population genetics.

1) The terrestrial conditions in which organic molecules and then early life forms first appeared was NOT random, and based on some recent research it may be highly probable that life will eventually come into being in such an environment, given enough time. So the beginning of life might have been likely, not random.

2) Base pair mutations are not the only form of genetic change that leads to phenotypic change -- you're forgetting recombination events, crossover mutations, translocations, etc, which do not happen in a random way -- some are much more likely than others to occur, and big probabilistic asymmetries are by definition the opposite of randomness.

3) Our genetic material does not have equal susceptibility to mutation throughout its entire sequence. AT base pairs are more susceptible to mutation than GC base pairs, telomeric regions more sensitive than centromeric regions, and different individuals can have different DNA repair mechanisms.

4) It is known (among other places, from Chernobyl) that environmental stress decreases generation time and increases fertility, which means that under conditions of stress mutations are more likely to be generated (due to faster turnover of genetic material). Thus, in part, conditions are inducing evolution. This is strongly supported by research into punctuated equilibrium.

5) Selection is not only not the only thing that leads to population genetic changes, in fact it may not even be the most important. Geographic issues like founder effects, cultural issues like nonrandom mating, and statistical issues like genetic drift (which is perhaps the STRONGEST factor in the entire history of evolution, stronger than natural selection).

6) Phenotypic changes are not random, they're specific to certain polymorphisms and they can be secondarily regulated in some cases.

The point is that our evolutionary history is not at all one of randomness, it is simply one of an enormous number of variables with many possible outcomes; and while the actual genetic milieux of today may have been statistically unlikely a priori, it's kind of like picking the winners and losers in the NCAA basketball tournament -- one specific outcome may be more or less likely, but a finite group of possible outcomes may have been highly likely..

As for our moral and biological imperative vis a vis reproduction? We can do what we want. We're alive, we decide. Nothing forces us to reproduce. And nothing forces us to post on philosophy forums. To morally interpret that evolution reduces us to meaningless mating machines is one of the more crass arguments I've heard from the fundamentalist creationist school for a while -- but we learn new things every day, so thanks.

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:33 am
@Aedes,
could you try not to refer back too far and put things off track. not that you aren't making interesting points but it would be good if things could stay on topic.
xris

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:43 am
@avatar6v7,
could you try not to refer back too far and put things off track. not that you aren't making interesting points but it would be good if things could stay on topic.
Yes your right we would much rather you proved gods existance to us...one step at a time...proof now please no assumptions...

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:47 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Yes your right we would much rather you proved gods existance to us...one step at a time...proof now please no assumptions...

very well what is your premise- what proof would you accept?
xris

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:58 am
@avatar6v7,
very well what is your premise- what proof would you accept?
Anything you consider proof and then i will dispute it...I would like a visual experience... a voice from god..you know all those very dramatic events we read about in the bible..it appears he has become reticent of late in making personal appearances..Or preferable answer a few pertinent questions..

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:02 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Anything you consider proof and then i will dispute it...I would like a visual experience... a voice from god..you know all those very dramatic events we read about in the bible..it appears he has become reticent of late in making personal appearances..Or preferable answer a few pertinent questions..

if anything there has been an increase in the number of miracles, visions, and religous experiance in general. It is only because these these events are not taken seriously anymore that it appears they are not happening- they are less reported, and taken less seriously.
As for proof let us begin with prooving the existance of a creator. I will begin by asking you what you think led to the existance of the universe and why?