Swine Flu

Icon

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:23 am
For the first time in history, an outbreak of swine flu in the United States has caused a bit of commotion. We have declared a state of health emergency and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has opened its Emergency Operations Center in order to support the effort against the spreading disease. Currently, the swine flu is an A H1N1 which is susceptible to the prescription antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir. This is only currently however as the CDC has issued a warning that this is a rapidly mutating virus. If you are in any of the countries that this has been reported in, take precautions such as wearing a surgical mask in public, washing your hands regularly, staying at least 6 feet (2 meters) from anyone who is coughing or appears ill/feverish.

I'm not trying to preach apocolypse, I just want to make sure people are aware. Anyone who is trvelling be especially careful. Over 100 people have died in Mexico and 20 in the U.S.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,074 • Replies: 68
No top replies

xris

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:32 am
@Icon,
Thanks Icon, i wondered if the masks made any difference?Lets hope the third world can get supplies of these masks.Its the poorer countries that will suffer the most if the world health service does no act quickly.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:45 am
@Icon,
I feel for all those in the affected areas, especially for those who have fallen ill, and much more so for those who have lost loved ones, or family members (and of course I regret that any have been killed in such an uninvited way).

I presently feel a bit safe, over here on an island . . . kind of (at least in my mind) far, far away.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:45 am
@Icon,
I know that Mexico got a good supply but not nearly enough. The U.S. has decided to dip into our stockpile of flu medication and spread it around but is too little in my opinion. In Texas we only recieved 37,000 flu shots where we have a population of 23,904,380 and are right on the U.S./Mexico border.

KaseiJin, Japan has no reported outbreaks and are debating closing their borders to all travel in an attempt to keep out the disease. If it makes it to Tokyo, it will spread like a wild fire, mutate and that could very well be one of the worst catastrophes in modern history.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:09 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

KaseiJin, Japan has no reported outbreaks and are debating closing their borders to all travel in an attempt to keep out the disease. If it makes it to Tokyo, it will spread like a wild fire, mutate and that could very well be one of the worst catastrophes in modern history.

I did not think you were preaching apocalypse.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:11 am
@Icon,
I was actually commenting on how safe KaseiJin was because his nation is taking initiative.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:22 am
@Icon,
Which leaves only frightening conclusions to the question: what if the flu hits Austin, or Huston, or Dallas?
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:28 am
@Icon,
Texas has already been hit actually. We already have several cases that are currently being treated. As long as you follow precautions, you should be ok. Also make sure you get treatment at the first signs of symptoms.
0 Replies

Nosada

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:03 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Over 100 people have died in Mexico and 20 in the U.S.

According to Fox News there have been no fatalities in the United States from swine flu. There are officially 40 cases confirmed in the States as of 12:00PM CST.

Also, there are reports flooding in from many other countries across the globe.

I'm sure there are thousands of infected people who simply have not taken a trip to their local hospital or done any research on their own.

CDC Officials Confirm Swine Flu Cases Up to 40; Outbreak May Worsen - ABC News
Icon

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:08 am
@Nosada,
Nosada wrote:
According to Fox News there have been no fatalities in the United States from swine flu. There are officially 40 cases confirmed in the States as of 12:00PM CST.

Also, there are reports flooding in from many other countries across the globe.

I'm sure there are thousands of infected people who simply have not taken a trip to their local hospital or done any research on their own.

CDC Officials Confirm Swine Flu Cases Up to 40; Outbreak May Worsen - ABC News

That's good to know actually. I was reading a report this morning on CNN, which has since been edited, that stated fatalities in the U.S. associated with flu like symptoms. The problem is that it can take some time to know that you are infected but you are still contagious while it is developing.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:09 pm
@Icon,
Hi, I am not a medical expert, could this influenza get as bad as the Spanish flu of the last century?

Is there any real agent that could halt it in its track?

I know there are a few antiviral drugs, but could the AIDS drugs be used for the general population if this outbreak became a global pandemic?

How much of a difference would modern medical intervention be when compared to the Spanish flu?

Could millions die if this got out of control?

How would it affect air traffic between continents?

What would the effect be on sports events with crowds of spectators

How fast could a vaccine be be created by the medical teams?

The virus could mutate and become weak or it could mutate into different deadly viruses for which humans have no protection?

Must we stop eating pork?

I think the masks presently used by people are useless against a tiny virus, it would have no problem getting through into the body

How long would it take to make and produce real effect masks that no virus could penetrate?

This outbreak could advance and spread in biblical proportions or we might wake up and hear the whole thing was now under control

Would the authorities hold back the truth from the population if they knew for sure this was an outbreak of deadly biblical apocalyptic pandemic proportions?

The could lock themselves up and watch the rest of us breath our last from the safety of their virus secure places of domain?

Would they do this if the above happened?

If the truth was the worst possible will the authorities tell us or just keep quite because telling us will not alter the outcome?

I could add much much more, but hope none of these questions are ever asked!!
xris

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:18 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan i did not recognise you, have you not been well ? old and wise ahhh.
Two confirmed in Scotland and i have seen already on certain forums the judgement of God on those who eat pork..
Nosada

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:26 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Hi, I am not a medical expert, could this influenza get as bad as the Spanish flu of the last century?

Doubtful. Swine flu isn't lethal in most cases.

Alan McDougall wrote:
How much of a difference would modern medical intervention be when compared to the Spanish flu?

The logical answer to this question is that modern medical intervention - when compared to that of the Spanish flu era - would be much more effective.

Alan McDougall wrote:
Could millions die if this got out of control?

Again, doubtful. However, flu strains tend to mutate; it's possible a more lethal strain could emerge.

Alan McDougall wrote:
How would it affect air traffic between continents?

As with any pandemic (it is believed by many experts in the field that the World Health Organization will soon announce pandemic status), air traffic will be stifled.

Alan McDougall wrote:
The virus could mutate and become weak or it could mutate into different deadly viruses for which humans have no protection?

True.

Alan McDougall wrote:
Must we stop eating pork?

False. Swine flu is only spread by coughing and sneezing. However, the Center for Disease Control is investigating possibilities that it may be transmitted by touch.

Alan McDougall wrote:
I think the masks presently used by people are useless against a tiny virus, it would have no problem getting through into the body

There has been little evidence such masks offer any real protection. Actually, it will do more harm than good by creating a SARS-like terror in the face of the public.

Alan McDougall wrote:
Would the authorities hold back the truth from the population if they knew for sure this was an outbreak of deadly biblical apocalyptic pandemic proportions?

Certainly.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:05 pm
@Icon,
The Spanish flu infected 500 million of the 1.5 billion people of the world back in 1918-1919, of which about 50 million died. Had there been respirators and other medical technology back them, many would have been saved. So while it is highly unlikely this strain of H1N1 flu virus will be as deadly, anything could be possible. There is also no guarantee that the existing flu vaccines will protect from this version of the virus. Flu viruses continuously mutate so those vaccines my be obsolete in these cases.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:22 pm
@Icon,
Found something interesting on this swine flu.
YouTube - Mexican Flu Outbreak 2009: SPECIAL REPORT by Dr Leonard Horowitz
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 03:04 pm
@Icon,
Genocide?

This just became a hell of a lot more interesting.
0 Replies

validity

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 03:33 pm
@Icon,
Here in Australia we have had about 75 people cleared from suspected swine flu. At the moment Australia is clear. However, as a precautionary measure State Governement has made a suggestion of stockpiling enough food and water in the home to last 14 days. No such recommendation has come for the Federal Government.

For those of you who live in countries where the presence of swine flu is confirmed, have recommendation of stockpiling 14 days worth of food and water been made?
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 04:27 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Alan i did not recognise you, have you not been well ? old and wise ahhh.
Two confirmed in Scotland and i have seen already on certain forums the judgement of God on those who eat pork..

I am old Xris not ancient yet wise?,, I have been absent from my computer for a while Gosh! it has become my window into the emerging world of the information epoch.

There are three confirmed cases but these people were no more ill than others suffering from normal mutated strand of flue viruses we encounter every year

It seems that there has been a huge over reaction, but I commend the authorities nevertheless, ignoring this might have led to countless unnecessary fatalities
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:46 pm
@Icon,
That is a rather interesting video. I think it is rather disturbing that people are able to make so much money off of the illness of others. The thing about this whole swine flu things is that it appears that the side effects from Tamiflu are actually worse than what infected people experience.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 03:30 am
@Icon,
If it was a conspiracy then surely they would infect thousands and thousands to make enough money, to be honest I didn't watch all of the video but i don't believe it to be man made for profitable reasons.