Best movie ever made

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 05:44 am
Patton was a hit in the time of America's greatest anti war activities.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:20 pm
That's true, Edgar. And the interesting thing is that some anti-war activists saw it as an anti-war movie while the 'hawks' saw it as justifying their stance. It is, in part, a tribute to George C. Scott that he could make George Patton seem a war hero to the Right and a madman in the eyes of the Left. It's a stunning performance. He is still a controversial figure, however, and I really do think that movies about a man like Patton are just not PC these days. Perhaps the reason has less to do with actual 'political correctness' and more with the fact that people today don't quite know how they're supposed to react to the protrayal of the general. Are they supposed to see the hero or the madman? It's not easy being young these days, with nobody to tell you how you're supposed to feel about a person who flourished more than 50 years ago.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:27 pm
Well, the movie shows him with plenty of flaws while acknowledging he accomplished so much. I admired the film, but felt I would not like him (Scott's Patton) too much. Then of course Scott went the way of many academy award winners - I don't believe he did a succeeding film worth the celluloid.
0 Replies

kenji

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 02:50 am
For me, there is a difference between best and favourite. The latter are films which hit the right personal emotional and psychological notes without necessarily being the most awesome, accomplished works of cinema. Some films i admire more than i like and vice-versa.

Anyway, here are my main contenders:

Sansho the Bailiff (Mizoguchi, 1954). Engrossing, exquisite, moving and finally transcendental Japanese drama, with outstanding camerawork, lighting, use of scenery, spatial explorations, compositions etc. The work of an absolute master.

Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1969). This episodic account of the life of the medieval Russian icon-painting monk is one of the great artistic achievements of the 20th century, chosen as best religious film by the Vatican.

2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968). A wondrous destiny awaits us; to infinity and beyond!

Sunrise (Murnau, 1927). The AFI's 100 list is automatically flawed by the absence of this silent gem, voted in the all-time top 10 in at least 4 major polls this millennium. It's lyrical, frightening, stormy, romantic, tender, exhilarating, suspenseful, beautiful..it has everything.

L'Avventura (Antonioni, 1960). Having just seen this controversial groundbreaking arthouse classic for the 3rd time (it's now soared in my estimation), i'm delighted to see it mentioned by Lightwizard. It's supremely elegant, serenely beautiful, sophisticated and enigmatic in its use of buildings, environment to express complex feelings.

Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1974). A fathomless blend of poetry, autobiography and overview of 20th century Russian history, its images are luminous and astonishing.

La Regle du Jeu (Renoir, 1939). Often runner-up to Kane in international polls, it's a unique mix of tragedy, farce and drama, that deals with social issues, cinema/theatre with understated brilliance. The deep focus, choreography, characterisations are sublime.

Maborosi (Kore-eda, 1995). The greatest masterpiece of the last 20 years, a hidden dark pearl to treasure.

Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941). Welles with a magical new toybox.

also; Vertigo, Seven Samurai, Story of the Late Chrysanthemums, Tokyo Story..

and some favourites; Paris Texas, North by Northwest, Alice in the Cities, The Green Ray, Some Like it Hot, Abraham Valley...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:02 pm
"L'Aventura" is loaded with symbolism -- the centerpiece to me being the stark white buildings in the small town in the middle of the film. Abruptly, a black train goes winding through, glimpsed between buildings and making an ominous sound.
To me that is a metaphor for the life of the real people in the film, wandering through life through emptiness speaking in ominous sounds.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:06 pm
Of course, there can be a myriad of intepretations of that film.

The metaphysical quality of "Vertigo" just makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck just thinking about it. Rare in film.

Just saw "Rififi" again last night for the third time on DVD and what a film!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:09 pm
(Deddes was blacklisted for suspicion of being a communist when he was actually a diamond theif!)
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:04 pm
Edgarblithe, Merry Andrew,

It's not a surprise that Patton was a hit during the anti war activies. I don't think that Scott made Patton a hero to the right and an anti war movie to the left Patton's behavior was there. The value system of the right found it admirable and heroic, the value system of the left found it quite awful.

Also, remember that Scott refused to accept the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of Patton saying "The Academy Award ceremonies are a two-hour meat parade, a public display with contrived suspense for economic reasons." Can you imagine an arch conservative saying that?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:07 pm
It's true that Scott was no conservative. By Hollywood standards he was something of a maverick, too. It's a shame he didn't get too many meaty roles outside of Patton. Anyone remember the short-lived TV series he had where he played a social worker in New York. Cicely Tyson was the co-star. What was the name of that show?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:26 pm
East Side/West Side
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:28 pm
Right, eoe! I couldn't think of anything but Uptown/Downtown and I knew that was wrong.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
one of my favorite films of the 60s - Blow Up. I've been told how boring it was by some, but I saw it twice.

I love this film too edgar.
It´s one of my ALL time favourites and there should be a law against people saying it´s boring.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:38 am
"Blow Up" is a great movie, very enigmatic and entertaining to watch. "Blow Out" with John Travolta was actually a remake and was also well done. This time it was a sound that gave away the murder. Travolta solves the murder, but in "Blow Out" we are left to solve whether there was a murder or it was all an illusion. It was the color answer to "L'Aventura" which also had an unresolved and puzzling finale.
0 Replies

Beelzel

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
Well, my 2 Cents

The man who would be king ...

Blade runner (directors cut, with all that mumbo jumbo talking!)

Koyaanisqatsi

CU
0 Replies

Cptn Jck Sprrw

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:28 pm
Well, I have many faves... Very Happy so, I'll list them by genre...

Drama- Schindler's List
Comedy- Chasing Amy, American Splendor, Lost in Translation, Dumb and Dumber
Action/Adventure- Face/Off, Aliens, Raiders of te Lost Ark, Jurassic Park
Foreign- Seven Samarai, Princess Mononoke
Animated- Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Lion King, Princess Mononoke
Horror- The Evil Dead, The Shining, Psycho
Sci-Fi/Fantasy- The Terminator, Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars, LOTR
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 10:19 am
Just saw "Princess Mononoke" again but "Spirited Away" is my favorite.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:25 pm
As stated, "best" is very subjective....so as with others this is my 2cents:

The Man Who Would Be King
Schindler's List(My room mate only lets me watch it once a year...it affects me so)
All About Eve
Shawshank Redemption
Fisher King
Lion in Winter(L.W. are you looking forward to seeing the version on Showtime with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart?)
The Women(Just for sure joy and pleasure..the dialogue was fantastic)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy(though 2 towers is the favorite)
Witness for the Prosecution
Blood Simple
The Godfather I & II
The Matrix
Enough for now, there are plenty others...would like to know if you all have ever talked about performances that DID NOT win the oscar but should have...I was watching Delores Claiborne again last night and Judy Parfitt should have been given the oscar for her performance of Vera Donovan...Kathy was great as well.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:30 am
No, I can't imagine why anyone would want to copy the original "Lion in Winter." Especially if they are unwilling to release it theatrically. The remake of "The Great Gatsby" was lackluster, the remake of "Moby Dick" just as flawed as the original John Huston. Although the remake of "The Shining" was more faithful to the novel it was cinematically underwhelming (but, even lesser Kubrick is greater than the majority of other film efforts.) TV remakes are usually the worst.
0 Replies

Dono

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:55 pm
I have a quick question. About 25 years ago I saw a movie on TV, Beauty and the Beast, and George C Scot played the beast. I have looked everywhere for anything about this movie and can't find any info at all. Did anyone here ever see it or know what I'm talking about?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:24 am
I remember the George C. Scott version of Beauty and the Beast well. I believe his wife at the time, Trish Vendevere, played Beauty. But memory is all I have of this production.
0 Replies