Best movie ever made

BCP1

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:16 pm
AngryWaves wrote:
I'd say "To Kill A Mockingbird" but my SO would say "The Legend Of Josie Wales"

Oh please honey, anything with Judy Garland in it was just to die for.
To Kill a mockingbird was a fun movie, but not really worth mentioning in this forum
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:18 am
Welcome, AngryWaves and BCP1. I'm sure we'd like to hear what your choice for the best movie ever made is and coming aboard to criticize someone else's choice(s) is not really kosher. Besides, "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a "fun" movie?

Which Judy Garland film is the best movie ever made?
0 Replies

BCP1

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 06:30 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Welcome, AngryWaves and BCP1. I'm sure we'd like to hear what your choice for the best movie ever made is and coming aboard to criticize someone else's choice(s) is not really kosher. Besides, "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a "fun" movie?

Which Judy Garland film is the best movie ever made?

My favorite was Ziegfeld Girl. I just loved the costumes in that movie, and the music was fabulous.

I didnt mean to make it look like I was criticizing someone elses choice, but after you pointed it out and I read what I posted, I see that it came across as very ignorant.

I apologize to AngryWaves for this, and I thank Lightwizard for pointing it out to me so that I could make the apology.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 07:12 am
That's what I like. A person who can apologize graciously. Welcome to A2K, BCP1.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 09:08 am
A real gentleman or gentlewoman on A2K -- what a refreshing experience!

Well, I've argued over the worth of a film with many on A2K but it's kosher if one wants to give their many reasons for liking or disliking a film. One man's meat is another man's poison.

As far as being the best film, "The Wizard of Oz" was really the best fantasy film until LOTR. The one single scene that still gets to me is Judy singing "Over the Rainbow" and it's amazing to me that Victor Fleming directed both that film and "Gone With the Wind" in the same year.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 05:08 pm
IMO, City of God is the best movie I have ever seen. Either that or American History X.
0 Replies

Soldano

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 06:16 pm
Just my 2 cents worth on the best flick made
How could anyone go past two of the most involving films ever made,

1. Shawshank Redemption
2. Stand By Me

Just loved those films....It's always nice to see a film founded on a strong message, they quite often make for the best flicks.

Regards
Soldano
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:13 pm
BCP1 wrote:
AngryWaves wrote:
I'd say "To Kill A Mockingbird" but my SO would say "The Legend Of Josie Wales"

Oh please honey, anything with Judy Garland in it was just to die for.
To Kill a mockingbird was a fun movie, but not really worth mentioning in this forum

BCP1--I can understand your passion for Judy Garland, she was a terrific performer although her life ended up so empty after living all of it for the camera.

If you'd like my selection of her perfection, I'd choose "Meet Me in St. Louis".

She really shined there, still young and still struggling to overcome. Every later work showed that she'd already given in. It's a shame too, because she could have kicked those addictions and that corporate tether.

On the other hand, Vivien Leigh's bi-polar situation didn't have medication until well after she died. GWTW was and is the standard that has never been duplicated. I also think that production broke many involved emotionally just to see it on film.

Me, I love the musicals that MGM cranked out, but I thought the question was of a serious bend. "To Kill A Mockingbird" wasn't fun. It was fraught with all the small town drama that death deals and makes personal.

Special effects don't make a movie--the story and the acting DOES.

Best to you BCP1
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:59 am
Louis B. Mayer was enough to scare anyone to death and he finally got his comeuppance, not to slight him for most of the top movies of the Golden Age. Let's not forget Judy made a big comeback with one of the top selling LP's of all time, her Carnegie Hall concert and "A Star is Born" with the definitive version of every song including "The Man That Got Away." She was likely one who couldn't handle relationships or lonliness. Very sad.
0 Replies