Best movie ever made

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:08 am
Welcome to A2K and then film forum, Peter S. I remember seeing "Ben Hur" on the big screen at Grauman's Chinese in Hollywood. This was the epitome of epic filmmaking for the era and still doesn't fail to impress.
0 Replies

singingintent

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 10:10 pm
another world war 2 movie
Lightwizard wrote:
As far as World War II and Italian Cinema, I'd also recommend "The Night of the Shooting Stars" and "The Gardens of the Finzi Continis."

Another wonderful World War 2 movie is "Europa Europa"
0 Replies

singingintent

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 10:28 pm
I dont know about a favorite, but some wonderful movies that i think have not been mentioned:

Zorba the Greek
The Last Picture Show
Young Frankenstein
Spaceballs
A couple Woody Allen movies- Annie Hall, Sleeper, Love and Death
Fanny and Alexander (any Ingmar Bergman, really)
Small Change (likewise, any Truffaut)
My Cousin Vinny
Tampopo
Of course the Marx Brothers (Animal Crackers is my personal favorite)

Thats all i can think of right now. If you haven't seen/heard of these movies you should check them out because they're all fantatsic

Smile -Singingintent
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:57 am
Hey, welcome to A2K and the film forum, singingintent. "Europa Europa" -- not an Italian film but a significant WWII vision that is unforgettable.
0 Replies

singingintent

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:11 pm
Thank you!
I realize that i"Europa Europa" is not Italian, but that particular post made me think of it, as it is so beautiful and, indeed, unforgettable.

Just today I resaw a very worthwhile movie, "But I'm a Cheerleader". Its funny, relevant, and has one of the better sex scenes i've seen.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:20 pm
A Bridge Too Far.

A great, fantastic, excellent, fantabulous cast plus the greatest war movie ever. Better than SPR.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:18 am
Welcome to A2k and the film forum, Tobruk.

Can't share your rating of "A Bridge Too Far" but I've always enjoyed watching the film. Perhaps a new topic on the best war movie would be in order.
There are other's on my list far above "Bridge" such as "Tigerland," "The Steel Helmet," and Terrence Malick's "The Thin Red Line."
0 Replies

shiny

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:44 am
NOTTING HILL is my favourite one.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:49 am
I have to the Lord of the Rings trilogy in with the top lot.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:09 am
Yes, it's number eight in my best films list, as a trilogy of films. Can hardly wait for the extended version of "The Return of the King." I have to buy three of them -- I give a copy at Christmas to my Sister and her husband and my niece and her husband who now are finally reading the books.
0 Replies

jive2keys

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:26 am
REVENGE OF THE NERD!!! no question about it...
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:50 pm
les enfants du paradis
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:14 am
From the ridiculous to the sublime.
0 Replies

Pugama

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:29 am
Excalibur
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:06 am
The fire next time............is not a great classic. Nevertheless, it should be seen by all Americans. It is a grim look into the future of our planet.the fire next time
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:12 am
Welcome, detano inipo to A2K. Unfortunatly, that's a TV movie and although it's appreciate that you're pointing it out, it might be difficult to find for rent. I will try adding it to my NetFlix queue.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:13 am
BTW, this is the same thematic material for the upcoming disaster epic "The Day After Tomorrow," from the director who gave us "Independence Day."
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:51 am
Two films to see if you can get them - although I cannot vouch for 'cultural adaptation' :

1. Ko to tamo peva (Who's Singing Over There) - Sijan Yugoslavia
2. Utomlennye solntcem (Burnt by the sun) - Mihaljkov USSR

Relative
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:54 am
It is almost impossible to choose "the greatest film".
My favourites are les enfants du paradis and la grande illusion (and a dozen more).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:55 am
Saw "Burnt by the Sun" but so long ago I would like to see it again.

Thanks for the "Ko to tamo peva" recommend.
0 Replies