Best movie ever made

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:02 pm
Again, it does help to see what the critics and directors rate as the top ten films of all time, and the Sight and Sound poll also gives the top ten directors:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:05 pm
(It prompted me to revisit "8-1/2," "Tokyo Story" and "Sunrise" again).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:07 pm
And the AFI (American Film Institute) top film lists:

http://www.filmsite.org/afi100films.html
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:43 am
I was looking forward to seeing "32 Short Scenes About Glenn Gould," but I was upset with the technique of talking over the music. I never can settle on whether to listen to the talking or the music, and usually listen to neither. There is another biography of Glenn Gould with his name as the title that I prefer.

I'll ditto "Excalibur." I've watched it a dozen times, and it never failed to break me up at the end with the death of Arthur, Percival's throwing of Excalibur back into the lake, and Wagner's "Siegfried's Funeral Music" playing in the background. Another unforgettable scene is when Arthur regains his vitality and rides through the apple grove with his men to the strains of Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana," apple flower petals raining to the ground from the vibration of the horse's hooves.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:06 pm
"Hope and Glory" and "Deliverance" are both Boorman films and IMO superior to "Excaliber."
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:16 pm
"Requiem for a Dream" (although I could not see it one more time! Too much for me!) "Leon" and "Dancer in the Dark"are in my top ten with "Lord of the Rings"...
oh! and "Héroines" is in it too!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:20 pm
Hey, Radical Edward, welcome to A2K and the film forum. Interesting choices.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:30 pm
Has anyone mentioned Billy Madison? I think any topic involving 'greatest films' is quite personal. Hope and Glory and Deliverance were awesome. I have not seen Excalibur. Branagh's Henry the Fifth is one of my favourites, as is Ghost World, and True Romance.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:25 pm
Really got into the great storytelling and deep characterizations of "Billy Madison." I'd easily say that Branagh's "Henry the V" is the best of the Shakespeare adaptations allong with Sir Ian McClellan in Richard III and the Olivier "Hamlet."
0 Replies

accrdnmnky

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 01:13 am
Best movie
olI would say "The City of Lost Children" or=darkred][/color]
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 08:13 am
Welcome to A2K and the film forum, accrdnmnky.
0 Replies

GenericScreenName

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:54 pm
hmm... if you are into really obscure, excellent movies, here are a few that I HIGHLY recommend.

1. Eraserhead (Surreal, psychological, thought provoking)
2. Pi ( Also very thought-provoking, exciting)
3. Powder ( Kind of sad)
4. Latcho Drum ( Really good for musical people)
5. Harold and Maude ( Inspiring, sad, good sound track)
6. The Man Who Wasn't There

And for those Mainstream movies:

1. The Ring
2. Blair Witch Project ( I know this gets made fun of a lot, and people probably disagree, but I thought it was good. Maybe thats just because I went for a midnite walk in the woods right after I saw it...*shudder)
3. Blue Collar Comedy Club
4. The Matrix (1)
5. The Lord of the Rings
6. Phenomenon
7. Zoolander!! ( its one of those that you have to watch a couple times to appreciate it, there's a lot of little things you dont pick up on i swear.)
8. Meet The Parents
9. there are more....
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 09:26 pm
The Birds
To Kill a Mockingbird
Giant
Lawrence of Arabia
Midnight Cowboy
Born on the 4th of July
The Godfather

Punch Drunk Love was brilliant and deserves a mention - kudos to Paul Thomas Anderson. This movie still makes me think - 2 years after seeing it! One of the greatest movies??? Naw, but one of the most memorable for me
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:53 am
Welcome to A2K, GSN. Intriguing list.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:55 am
Any film by Ray or Kurosawa will do it for me. "The Music Room" was especially satisfying.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:50 pm
Just rented Kurosawa's "Red Beard" which is the one film by the director I haven't seen for over twenty years. At first I thought you meant Nicholas Ray, but obviously you meant the director from India, Satyajit Ray. "Manhanagar" is also a great movie.
0 Replies

darlenesyl926

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:22 am
Best Movie..
I really liked StepMother..with Julia Roberts. Saving Private Ryan was anohter good one...and oh gosh Forrest Gump..
0 Replies

tydurden88

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 11:00 am
i dont know if u would concider these the best movies ever made(and u cant really say a movie is the best) but here are some in no order-

1.city of god
2.fight club
3. clockwork orange
4.american history X
(noticed ive mentioned these movies in almost every single forum)
5. memento
6.pulp fiction
....i would go on but there is no time
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 11:07 am
Welcome to A2K, tydurden. "City of God" is on VOOM's movie channel in hi-def. Haven't seen it since its release so I think I'll program it in.

Glad to see another enthusiast for "Pulp Fiction." What did you think of "Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2?"
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:06 pm
I'd say "To Kill A Mockingbird" but my SO would say "The Legend Of Josie Wales"
0 Replies