Best movie ever made

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:47 am
Oh, yeah. Yup. Welles as the Don. I like that.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 08:43 pm
Lightwizard,

"What if Welles had played Don Corleone.?"
Facinating question. Might start a thread of "what ifs."

I think he would have been brilliant, but off target. I don't know what he or the director could have done about his deep, sonorous voice. His polished delivery.
His serious demeanor. (Brando laughed as Corleone)
Welles could play a don and play him well , but not the don of the Godfather. Brando remains the quentessential Corleone in our minds and to even speculate on a substitution seems profligate and even sinful.

An aside. I recall Vivien Leigh (who was married to Olivier at the time) playing Blanche Dubois on Broadway opposite Brando's Stanley Kowalski. She was quoted as saying that backstage she would close her eyes and listen to Brando imitate Olivier. She said she could not tell his voice from from her husband's voice. That coupled with his roles in Julus Caesar and The Ugly American seem to put the lie to his inarticulateness, unless by choice, i.e. On The Waterfront, etc.
But at his "mumbliest", he could be understood better than Russel Crowe in "Captain -----whatever"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 01:39 pm
Welles could have probably brought it off but was even more of a dirigible than Brando at the time (I see him at "L'Orangerie" in LA having late lunches at his corner table where he filled it out and then some).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 08:07 pm
Some actors never seem to get the roles they are born for. I am thinking of Richard Burton. I loved him in a number of films, but I always felt that he missed out on the one quintessential role. I enjoyed Night of the Iguana, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and a few others. Maybe I just missed something.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:51 am
Burton was outstanding in "Becket" which he was nominated for an Oscar, "The Spy Who Came In from the Cold," and "1984." Whether one has respect for his performance in "Cleopatra," it's the one we always seem to remember.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 06:41 pm
I can't say I remember Cleopatra with any great deal of fondness, either for Burton or his costar. But The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, yes, a really fine performance in an above-average cold war thriller.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:01 pm
A perfectly cast movie:

Richard Burton
Claire Bloom
Oskar Werner
Sam Wanamaker

As with any epic, "Cleopatra" on the big screen had some real impact -- shrunk down to a TV screen shows up all of the flaws.

I think my favorite Burton performance is still in "Becket" -- saw it in Whittier, California on a full ration CinemaScope screen and enjoyed it immensely. He was nominated for the Oscar again -- always the bridesmaid...
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:34 pm
I just saw Memento and was blown away. It's definitely one of the best.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 11:39 pm
A great film is Fiddler on The Roof. It has just about everything, it's comedic, it's tragic, it's historical, it's got social commentary, and it's a musical! It's one of my favorites.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:00 pm
The Matrix

American History X
0 Replies

illmatic

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:37 pm
My favorite movie is Scarface with Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeifer. Pacino is just too authentic in that movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:31 pm
The new DVD release of "Scarface" is really potent and it never looked better.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:32 pm
The death of David Hemmings reminds me of one of my favorite films of the 60s - Blow Up. I've been told how boring it was by some, but I saw it twice.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 03:24 pm
"Blowup" is a literally a snapshot of the era -- Antonioni never fails to astonish with his auteur craftsmanship and inventiveness. The film gets a respectable 7.4 member rating at IMDb and that has to be a lot of people who did not see it at its premiere but appreciate time travelling back to the awakening Sixties (just a prelude to the sizzling Seventies!) Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 03:26 pm
BTW, welcome to A2K, illmatic. I know some critics have send Pacino went over-the-top in some of the scenes but of all the actors I can think of, he can get away with it.

Dying (sic) to see his performance in "Angels in America."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:17 pm
Another movie I am surprised was not mentioned here (unless I forgot) is PATTON. George C Scott put on as great a performance as I have seen. I used to hear people assert that the film was perfect, but now no one mentions it much that I am aware of.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 02:20 pm
Pacino was beyond incredible in "Angels in America" as the wily and gay attorney, Roy Cohn -- his confrontation with Meryl Streep as Rosenburg as marvelous.

"Patton" is another big screen epic with a central performance to match. It may be the greatest biopic of all time, although I do love "Chaplin."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 10:03 pm
Chaplin was really good. I have not seen Angels in America
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:47 pm
Patton is not PC these days.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 05:07 am
GhostBusters