Dawkins and childish assumptions

xris

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:17 pm
@memester,
memester;123082 wrote:
I see. there was a process that had some problems and light coercion worked wonders; they were easy to brainwash. Or at least behave as though they were, so that you got off the case...Very Happy
I was not aware that there were people here expecting applause from you for teaching religion. Weren't me, that's for sho' nuff. Specially cuz I don't teach no religion to nobody, AngryCuz.
Reasoning is not brain washing. Reasoning is not coercion. I never used religion as an example but I dont deny many of its morals are worthy of impersonating. This is not about the freedom to use or not use the bible, its about giving incredible stories to children before they have the ability to reason. Ive never opposed the idea of moral education by use of the bible, but I do oppose the idea that I cant teach morals without the bible. Now if you want to be serious and debate the thread carry on but if its silly point scoring, be off my childish fool.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
@xris,
we are at a strange moment in history in all of this. It is hard to imagine, but in many pre-modern societies and in Western society up until the last 500 years or so, there was no idea whatsoever of 'religion'. There was simply the law. The God or Gods were not argued about or thought about, except for in fear and trembling.

We have of course moved on from that condition of consciousness. We are now at the phase where anyone is capable of abstract thought and reflection, and we have a realistic understanding of the material dimensions of the universe we live in. In this context, religion means something else altogether. Inasmuch as it can be represented by abstract concepts and codes it looses much of its vitality and immediacy. It looses its power and becomes just another set of ideas. Hence Neitszche's proclamation about god being dead.

There are various responses. One is to shrug and walk away - secularism. One is to cling determindely to the beliefs as if nothing has changed - fundamentalism. Another is to try and understand the questions behind this phenomenon and what it means - that is the 'comparitive religion' approach. Or you can imaginatively re-interpret the ancient myths and legends in line with what now know.

Or you can 'curse the sky'.
memester

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 04:46 pm
@xris,
xris;123087 wrote:
Reasoning is not brain washing. Reasoning is not coercion. I never used religion as an example but I dont deny many of its morals are worthy of impersonating. This is not about the freedom to use or not use the bible, its about giving incredible stories to children before they have the ability to reason. Ive never opposed the idea of moral education by use of the bible, but I do oppose the idea that I cant teach morals without the bible. Now if you want to be serious and debate the thread carry on but if its silly point scoring, be off my childish fool.
Oh, I see. Someone here said that you cannot teach moral lessons without the scripture ? who dat ?

If you never coerced any behaviour, and if you never gave presents to kids from Santa, you're totally clean. congrats.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 03:48 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123114 wrote:
we are at a strange moment in history in all of this. It is hard to imagine, but in many pre-modern societies and in Western society up until the last 500 years or so, there was no idea whatsoever of 'religion'. There was simply the law. The God or Gods were not argued about or thought about, except for in fear and trembling.

We have of course moved on from that condition of consciousness. We are now at the phase where anyone is capable of abstract thought and reflection, and we have a realistic understanding of the material dimensions of the universe we live in. In this context, religion means something else altogether. Inasmuch as it can be represented by abstract concepts and codes it looses much of its vitality and immediacy. It looses its power and becomes just another set of ideas. Hence Neitszche's proclamation about god being dead.

There are various responses. One is to shrug and walk away - secularism. One is to cling determindely to the beliefs as if nothing has changed - fundamentalism. Another is to try and understand the questions behind this phenomenon and what it means - that is the 'comparitive religion' approach. Or you can imaginatively re-interpret the ancient myths and legends in line with what now know.

Or you can 'curse the sky'.
So if you take the route of questioning, the modern approach, and you by means of deduction conclude that any god described is illogical , what should you do?

---------- Post added 01-28-2010 at 04:52 AM ----------

memester;123119 wrote:
Oh, I see. Someone here said that you cannot teach moral lessons without the scripture ? who dat ?

If you never coerced any behaviour, and if you never gave presents to kids from Santa, you're totally clean. congrats.
If you had paid attention you would have seen a certain poster claim the necessity to relate moral education to scriptures.

I have never found a child that believed in father Christmas's past the age of eight.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 04:52 am
@xris,
xris;123187 wrote:
So if you take the route of questioning, the modern approach, and you by means of deduction conclude that any god described is illogical , what should you do?

Become Buddhist, which I did.

I never went through the phase of getting really disillusioned with Christianity in the first place. I suppose everyone's experience is different; but I decided not to proceed with the Confirmation when I was 13. My dad supported that, but then he was a non-believer. At the the same time, looking back, those years standing in the school chapel, I think I did 'bond with Jesus' to some extent. But I was never consciously Christian. I always thought Christians were rather earnest, a bit daggy, and very goody two-shoes. But I did have a strong religious feeling for Jesus. Maybe I didn't recognise that at the time.

Starting in my teens, I read lots of Eastern philosophy and learnt to practise meditation. Practising meditation means sitting entirely still and watching your mind, body and breath for long periods of time. It also means learning a different attitude to life. Of course it sounds completely pointless to many people but it has opened up many new perspectives to me.

So now after all that I have changed my attitude towards Christianity too. I see it all as metaphors for higher awareness. Half the people who wrote the scriptures don't even know that this is what it is. But it is that, I am sure. On a philosophical level, there is much about Christianity that I now admire. But I am not tempted to go back to the religion.

I think the kind of Christians that I would have liked were all sidelined by the Catholics early in the piece. They were probably among the Gnostics. I was even going to write a thesis on it once. But I learned about Dharma so I didn't really see the point.

Dharma is not religion. You might say 'well what is it then?' It doesn't really have an equivalent in Western thought or English language. That in itself if significant. If you ask me if I believe in dharma, the answer is, I try to observe it. I suppose this means I must believe it, but believing it is not really the point. The point of traffic regulations is not to believe in them, but to observe them. It is like that, but on a much larger scale. Dharma is something you can observe in your own experience: if you learn it, understand the principles, and apply it, you can see the results for yourself. It is not 'pie in the sky' but quite practical. It is as much like a type of martial art as it is like a religion.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't feel antagonism towards Christianity. I retain some of the lessons from it, and I still feel some relationship with Jesus. But my aspiration is to live according to Dharma and fulfil the requirements of living a Buddhist life. Evangelicals would regard me as having fallen away; I can't really persuade them otherwise and wouldn't like to try. There are some Christian teachings and teachers with a very broad-minded outlook who I get along fine with. But the Buddhist attitude is neither atheist nor believer. It is hard to explain - it takes quite a lot to really understand it.

I don't see the point in prosetylizing for anti-religion though. If I were Dawkins, for example, I would learn some non-religious basis for ethical action - like stoicism, or Taoism or something equivalent - and write books on putting that into practise. I would put my effort into positive teachings about science and humanism and maybe starting some non-religious charitable activities on the basis of all the royalties he has got. Criticizing religion is one thing, but spending all your time attacking it is something else again. I really don't think it comes from a good place; I don't think it is emotionally healthy. I suppose I could go around telling the world that scientology is a dangerous cult that was founded by a pathological liar. But I don't see the point. I don't turn up on the scientology forums and waste my time trying to convince them L Ron Hubbard was a liar. Life is too short.
xris

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 05:42 am
@jeeprs,
I have every respect for Buddhism,but its not for me. I dont decry the need for faith or certain of its teachings. What I do oppose is the structures of religion and its influences on us who have no need of its comfort blanket. I honestly think its wrong to impose your beliefs on a young child ,unable to reason. Have we a population that really understands the meaning of belief? it has been indoctrinated but not educated. They dont understand spirituality nor could they answer the simplest questions about their proclaimed religion. They are in the majority blind converts to faith they have accepted by childish education and will not question, as it would destroy their illusions.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 08:19 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123192 wrote:
I would put my effort into positive teachings about science and humanism and maybe starting some non-religious charitable activities on the basis of all the royalties he has got.

Like this?

RichardDawkinsFoundation.org - The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
memester

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 08:38 am
@xris,
xris;123187 wrote:

---------- Post added 01-28-2010 at 04:52 AM ----------

If you had paid attention you would have seen a certain poster claim the necessity to relate moral education to scriptures.

I have never found a child that believed in father Christmas's past the age of eight.
oh, so if they debunk the Santa myth later, it's all OK, even though Santa is a fiction ? It's not about truth, then, eh ?

and since one poster ( you claim someone did it...but noted that often enough your claims about what is going on here are related more to your misunderstanding than anything else ) attaches moral teachings only to scriptures, then your replies to others are to be seen in light of that ?
xris

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 10:38 am
@memester,
memester;123229 wrote:
oh, so if they debunk the Santa myth later, it's all OK, even though Santa is a fiction ? It's not about truth, then, eh ?

and since one poster ( you claim someone did it...but noted that often enough your claims about what is going on here are related more to your misunderstanding than anything else ) attaches moral teachings only to scriptures, then your replies to others are to be seen in light of that ?
If you want to compare the innocent excitement of father Christmas and the intention to create a life long belief in god be my guest. Your entitled to your strange analogy but I just think its a pathetic reason to be obtuse.
memester

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:02 am
@xris,
xris;123261 wrote:
If you want to compare the innocent excitement of father Christmas and the intention to create a life long belief in god be my guest. Your entitled to your strange analogy but I just think its a pathetic reason to be obtuse.
I'm not comparing in that sense, of life long vs. 5 yrs. anyway, for some people, their life only lasts that 8 yrs or less.

What I'm saying is that you should make clear what you are proposing. Is it presenting untruth, that is so reprehensible ? no, because you do not complain about Santa myth being presented.

Is it about enforcement of behaviour relating to parental exhortations ? No, because you do enforce through various means.

You seem not to know what you mean.
xris

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 01:08 pm
@memester,
memester;123267 wrote:
I'm not comparing in that sense, of life long vs. 5 yrs. anyway, for some people, their life only lasts that 8 yrs or less.

What I'm saying is that you should make clear what you are proposing. Is it presenting untruth, that is so reprehensible ? no, because you do not complain about Santa myth being presented.

Is it about enforcement of behaviour relating to parental exhortations ? No, because you do enforce through various means.

You seem not to know what you mean.
I'm fully aware of your intentions and your reasoning. I'm tempted to try reasonable debate with you but in realty its pointless, so bye bye.
memester

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
@xris,
xris;123294 wrote:
I'm fully aware of your intentions and your reasoning. I'm tempted to try reasonable debate with you but in realty its pointless, so bye bye.
I'm not the only one confused about what you are trying to say. You are too. In return for a logical post, you post evasions and strawman arguments, thrusting upon others something they never said or implied.

Quote:
its about giving incredible stories to children before they have the ability to reason.

Q/
Quote:
...you never gave presents to kids from Santa...

Quote:

Q/
Quote:
oh, so if they debunk the Santa myth later, it's all OK,..

Quote:
If you want to compare the innocent excitement of father Christmas and the intention to create a life long belief in god be my guest.

Q/
Quote:
What I'm saying is that you should make clear what you are proposing. Is it presenting untruth, that is so reprehensible ? no, because you do not complain about Santa myth being presented

Quote:

you're not answering anything, and you're not fooling anyone with your aggressive and self serving non replies to the questions.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 04:00 pm
@Dave Allen,

Yes, like that. But a great deal of what is on there is still defined by what it is reacting against.

I thought an interesting passage in the Dawkins vs McGrath debate I watched the other day was where Dawkins said that he could imagine a super-intelligent alien as God. He found the idea that there was a highly evolved intelligence that was far ahead of our level of development and living on some other planet, communicating with us by means unknown, much more credible than the kind of God that religion talks about. He even said that he was aware that some theologians talk about God as a 'divine simplicity'. But, he says, he just cannot imagine such a being.

And that is his main argument against God at the end of the day. It is not something he can imagine. As a scientist, he has no use for such ideas. They annoy him.

I really do understand this loud and clear, but I still think he doesn't 'get' how religion operates, the logic behind it. But I am going to keep out of the argument for a while, except for on strictly philosophical grounds, lest I, like him, become like that to which I am opposed.

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 09:26 AM ----------

one more thought though. In The God Delusion, Dawkins muses on the fact that he knows intelligent people who are religious. He finds this incredible, really. It must mean either (1) there might be something he doesn't understand about religion, or (2) there must be something the matter with these people, even though they appear to be intelligent.

He chooses (2).
jgweed

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:31 am
@xris,
Surely the discussion in this thread, Xris and Memester, can be maintained and continued without it devolving into tawdry personal name-calling between two Members. Such animosity being absolutely detrimental to this community and to the goal of intellectual and philosophical discussion that guides us, I would hope you both will refrain from continuing in this manner.

John
Forum Administrator

ACB

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:08 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123331 wrote:
I thought an interesting passage in the Dawkins vs McGrath debate I watched the other day was where Dawkins said that he could imagine a super-intelligent alien as God. He found the idea that there was a highly evolved intelligence that was far ahead of our level of development and living on some other planet, communicating with us by means unknown, much more credible than the kind of God that religion talks about. He even said that he was aware that some theologians talk about God as a 'divine simplicity'. But, he says, he just cannot imagine such a being.

What is the reasoning behind the claim that God is simple? Is it just a matter of faith, or is there an evidential or deductive basis to it?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:29 pm
@xris,
ACB;123485 wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the claim that God is simple? Is it just a matter of faith, or is there an evidential or deductive basis to it?

that is an intriguing question and I thank you for it.

Firstly as regards 'evidence' for any such ideas. I think one of the modern misconceptions about this whole subject matter is to believe that statements about the nature of deity are propositional in the same way that scientific statements are propositional. They certainly appear to be, but this is perhaps due to the shortcomings of depicting this subject matter in the formulaic way that was adopted by scholastic metaphysics (to which I will return, below). It tends to conceal the truly mysterious question of the nature of Deity.

The recent Karen Armstrong book, The Case for God, shows how the expectation that theology really describes something has developed partially out of the attitudes of seminal figures like Newton who believed that science showed God's handiwork. The tendency to look to the sciences to validate the idea of deity has grown since the Renaissance, but was completely foreign to classical theology. Central to this attitude was the complete unknowability of God, and the fact that 'the existence of God' was of a completely different type to 'the existence of ordinary things and beings', so much so that the word 'existence' might not even apply to God; not because God does not exist, but because He is beyond existence.

For example:

Quote:
In his treatise The Divine Names, Denys...began by discussing the...divine attributes. At first, each one sounds perfectly appropriate, but closer examination reveals it is inherently unsatisfactory. It is true that God is One - but this term properly applies only to beings defined by numerical properties. God is the Trinity, but that does not mean that the three personae add up to any kind of triad that is familiar to us. God is nameless - yet he has a multiplicity of names......Gradually we become aware that even the most exalted things we say about God are bound to be misleading
Armstrong, The Case for God, P124.

The corollary of this attitude is 'the divine unknowing' - which is silent contemplation, as taught in a classic text of medieval contemplation, The Cloud of Unknowing, by an anonymous monk. More generally, the mystery of the divine nature is the basis of mystical insight the world over. This is also the ground of what is called 'the apophatic theology' which is also found in all the spiritual traditions.

None of this is of much interest to the busy modern. We are not interested in such vague and wishy-washy escapism, we want things we can measure, describe and know. This is very much Dawkins' attitude, the Man of Science, and one of the reasons for his continual irritation with religious nonsense of all kinds.

Terry Eagleton depicts Dawkins conception of deity rather hilariously in his pungent review of The God Delusion

Quote:
Dawkins speaks scoffingly of a personal God, as though it were entirely obvious exactly what this might mean. He seems to imagine God, if not exactly with a white beard, then at least as some kind of chap, however supersized. He asks how this chap can speak to billions of people simultaneously, which is rather like wondering why, if Tony Blair is an octopus, he has only two arms. For Judeo-Christianity, God is not a person in the sense that Al Gore arguably is. Nor is he a principle, an entity, or 'existent': in one sense of that word it would be perfectly coherent for religious types to claim that God does not in fact exist. He is, rather, the condition of possibility of any entity whatsoever, including ourselves. He is the answer to why there is something rather than nothing. God and the universe do not add up to two, any more than my envy and my left foot constitute a pair of objects.

As regards the formal statement of the 'simplicity of God', this is dealt with by Summae Theologica, Question Three:

Quote:
OF THE SIMPLICITY OF GOD (EIGHT ARTICLES)
When the existence of a thing has been ascertained there remains the further question of the manner of its existence, in order that we may know its essence. Now, because we cannot know what God is, but rather what He is not, we have no means for considering how God is, but rather how He is not.
Therefore, we must consider: (1) How He is not; (2) How He is known by us; (3) How He is named.
Now it can be shown how God is not, by denying Him whatever is opposed to the idea of Him, viz. composition, motion, and the like. Therefore (1) we must discuss His simplicity, whereby we deny composition in Him; and because whatever is simple in material things is imperfect and a part of something else, we shall discuss (2) His perfection; (3) His infinity; (4) His immutability; (5) His unity.

Now I am not schooled in the classics and approach this material with great diffidence. Summae is not an easy text to read. Also, as noted above, the great deception with all such material is that it appears to describe and discuss something - specifically, the nature of deity - which arguably is, and ought to remain, beyond the reach of description and discussion (except for perhaps in a context in which it might be correctly interpreted). Recall that at the end of his scholarly career, in which he turned out over 5 million words, Aquinas had a breakdown, accompanied by visions, after which he gave up writing, and confessed that 'all that I have written seems like straw to me'. Source. (Some might say 'and this is where Zen begins'; but that is definitely another thread.)

The ontolgical distinction between God and beings can be summarised by saying that every material existent is composed of parts, has a beginning and an end in time, and is caused to come into being by something else; whereas the Divine nature has no parts, does not begin or end in time, and is self-existent. I still like Augustine's description the best of all:

Quote:
God is a circle whose centre is everywhere and circumfrence nowhere

Now I am not advocating a belief in God. All I am saying is that what many people accept or reject as 'God' is based on a complete misconception of what it is. This certainly goes for Richard Dawkins - but he is not likely to be patient enough to really try and form a better understanding of something which is already convinced does not exist. it takes a certain quality of humility, and despite the fact that he constantly accuses religious people of arrogance, intellectual humility in regards to such questions is not an attribute that he seems to display.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:59 pm
@jeeprs,
I'd recommend Armstrong's book to anyone interested in theology. Armstrong has a clear style, presentation, and a remarkable understanding of these complex issues, allowing her to tackle tough issues in a way that is approachable to anyone.

Every book of hers I've read has been wonderful.
xris

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:19 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Its true that Dawkins is closed minded but he is no different to millions of believers who could never contemplate the notion of a world without god. He is the antithesis of the fervent believer, if there is a balance of debate required, he supplies it. At least he comes to the debate with logic, unlike certain believers who bring the wildest notions of creation.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:34 pm
@xris,
Learning how to deal with Dawkins - that is, consider his viewpoint and weigh it up without becoming overly emotional - is an important discipline in his own right. It has been difficult for me. But he comes across very well on video, better in some ways than in his polemical books, and watching him, especially in debate with Alister McGrath, has helped me understand his viewpoint better. He is very civil, despite his sarcastic tone, which does help me sympathize with him. Overall, the CCP is a much greater threat to religious believers than Dawkins will ever be, although he does attract a lot of people with an ax to grind about religion - hence the high doses of vitriol on the Dawkins Forum.

All of that said, though, at the end of the day, there are many very major respects in which he is factually incorrect, and I think the weight of evidence will show that over time. He certainly has a very poor understanding of philosophy and his contempt for classical theology makes it impossible for him to appear as anything other than prejudiced about it.

And even in terms of science, I would be surprised if the model of the Selfish Gene actually has any longevity as an explanatory model. I think it represents a political, rather than a scientific, viewpoint. And the discoveries of the Human Genome Project do not lend any weight to genetic reductionism. There are no longer thought to be genes that determine particular characteristics, in the way that it was understood when the Selfish Gene was written.

For example:

Quote:
It turns out that genes can embody high level abstractions such as "do what it takes to form an eye." Pluck out the Eyes absent gene from a mouse and insert it into the genome of a fruitfly whose eyeless gene is missing, and you get a fruitfly with eyes. Not mouse eyes, mind you, but fruitfly eyes, which are built along totally different lines. A mouse eye, like yours or mine, has a single lens which focuses light on the retina. A fruitfly has a compound eye, made up of thousands of lenses in tubes, like a group of tightly packed telescopes. About the only thing the eyes have in common are that they are for seeing.

What does this tell us? Information, organized into concepts, is demonstrably
out there in the world, and without violating the laws of physics it can guide processes as they unfold.
Source

I believe that, just as the atom is no longer understood as the fundamental basis of reality in the light of sub-atomic physics, the gene will soon be displaced as the fundamental unit of hereditary development. These are two iterations of philosophical materialism, and I think philosophical materialism has had its day.

And, finally, whether you personally 'believe in God' or not, the entire edifice of Western philosophy and science crumbles into incoherence if you simply declare God a delusion. If you spend any time studying the history of science, you will find that it was given birth by a Western tradition in which deistic and theistic concepts were deeply embedded. Remove them, and the remainder does not make a lot of sense. There are, according to any number of books on the market, crises in physics, crises in cosmology, and the picture of molecular biology, though teeming with therapeutic possibility, is not nearly so clear-cut and coherent as it was thought to be 15 years ago.

Anyway, the way to the understanding of the deeper nature of reality is neither through science nor speculation but through meditation, and that is what I am signing off to do now.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:40 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;123442 wrote:
Surely the discussion in this thread, Xris and Memester, can be maintained and continued without it devolving into tawdry personal name-calling between two Members. Such animosity being absolutely detrimental to this community and to the goal of intellectual and philosophical discussion that guides us, I would hope you both will refrain from continuing in this manner.

John
Forum Administrator

Thank you for the reminder, John. Here is something which I hope will make up for that a bit.

To me a fascinating view , antithesis of the DawkAtheist view, and so, opposed to the notion of fighting religion at this time...EO Wilson and a plea to save Creation together, science and religion for one purpose: good policy.

the interviewer is quite adept, so it's a good video.

Edward O. Wilson on Death, Free Will, Evolution, Religion... • videosift.com