Dawkins and childish assumptions

jeeprs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:30 am
@xris,
I said that children are indoctrinated by the society around them. And they are. They are targets of a lot of messaging from commercial and other interests. Why not protest against that? Why is religious education any worse than convincing children to be consumers and all the rest of the indoctrination that they receive in modern society? How is it worse to teach children the 'traditional virtues' than to expose them to the 7,000-odd simulated acts of violence that they are going to watch on television in the time before they leave school? Do you think children really are taught to 'think for themselves' in a secular system, and brainwashed in a religious system? But then if nothing good can ever come out of any religion, then what is the point of arguing? There isn't any.

/unsubscribe
xris

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:43 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;122682 wrote:
I said that children are indoctrinated by the society around them. And they are. They are targets of a lot of messaging from commercial and other interests. Why not protest against that? Why is religious education any worse than convincing children to be consumers and all the rest of the indoctrination that they receive in modern society? How is it worse to teach children the 'traditional virtues' than to expose them to the 7,000-odd simulated acts of violence that they are going to watch on television in the time before they leave school? Do you think children really are taught to 'think for themselves' in a secular system, and brainwashed in a religious system? But then if nothing good can ever come out of any religion, then what is the point of arguing? There isn't any.

/unsubscribe
I will argue equally against exposing any young minds to any indoctrination. The Nazis did it so did the communists ,is that wrong and religious indoctrination right. There is one thing protecting your child from mindless violence or acts or perversion and purposely exposing them to indoctrination. We are all mutually opposed to exposing them to violence ,why should that stop me from condemning indoctrination.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:52 am
@xris,
because training people in moral values is not indoctrination. What if you removed all reference to your dreaded GOD bogeyman and took all the essence of traditional morality - be kind to others, look after the ill, always be honest, respect your parents, and the many other lessons that they teach - would that still be indoctrination? For that matter, what about teaching them anything? It is just simply your strong aversion to anything religious Xris - honestly I think you are a very nice person and I agree with you on many things but every time the word GOD comes up, you just react. You are like the exact opposite of an evangalist - you are dogmatically anti-religious. I really must stop having this conversation, it does no good for either of us. PEACE AND BEST WISHES.
xris

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:18 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;122686 wrote:
because training people in moral values is not indoctrination. What if you removed all reference to your dreaded GOD bogeyman and took all the essence of traditional morality - be kind to others, look after the ill, always be honest, respect your parents, and the many other lessons that they teach - would that still be indoctrination? For that matter, what about teaching them anything? It is just simply your strong aversion to anything religious Xris - honestly I think you are a very nice person and I agree with you on many things but every time the word GOD comes up, you just react. You are like the exact opposite of an evangalist - you are dogmatically anti-religious. I really must stop having this conversation, it does no good for either of us. PEACE AND BEST WISHES.
Thats a good one, I will say what i want and then walk away ..yes you can have the last word, I know, you know what I mean , I dont need to repeat it.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:29 pm
@xris,
Zetherin;122524 wrote:
That's no reason to continue doing it.

I disagree, and I'll try to explain (again). Humans have had a community spirituality since there has been a species. Go back to Lascaux. This suggests a natural inclination toward spirituality, as much as we have a natural inclination to sex - and we can, in fact, live without either.

I think I get what you're saying: you think I'm arguing from tradition. But this is not from tradition, but from essential human nature. I would not suggest that we humans adopt any particular spiritual tradition, or practices, but it does seem to be the case that we do have spiritual needs - even if we wish to re-brand that need as existential, it is the same need. A need for direction and purpose.

Zetherin;122524 wrote:
And, personally, I believe it's the wrong way to go about things. And it seems others are taking this lead; I know many households which do not push any particular religion on their children (and I probably couldn't say this 100 years ago, you're right). They allow their children to grow up and decide for themselves if they wish to pursue spirituality. And this, I think, is the right way to do things.

First, take note that I have not said that this way is the wrong way to do things. What I have suggested is that it is not the only right way. Again, try to keep in mind my argument: I am not trying to argue that children must be taken into a spiritual community at a young age. Instead, I am arguing that doing so can be good for them.

Zetherin;122524 wrote:
Maybe it does help, I don't know (I can't really think of any reason why it would be a good way, or a better way than others).

I've given reasons why it can be a good way to teach morality, reasons that do not suffer from objections about brainwashing, fear-mongering, and freedom-limitations. And I have not once said that it is the best way, or better than any other useful way to teach. All I'm saying that, with proper instruction and proper example, the religious route is a good one. A good one.

Zetherin;122524 wrote:
But I also know there are other ways, and I also believe it's wrong to force a child to believe in some supernatural entity they aren't even mature enough to comprehend in order to reinforce how we ought to do things.

Come on, Zeth. I've already addressed the supernatural issue. It really is disheartening to spend so much time and text explaining something, only to have the same objection repeated as if I'd said nothing at all. If I haven't sufficiently cleared up this supernatural nonsense, that's fine - bring it up. But to casually interject about supernatural entities after I've said that we're not talking about any such thing gets old quickly. Why should I care to respond if my responses are glossed over and ignored?

Zetherin;122524 wrote:
But don't think my stance here just concerns spiritual matters. I wouldn't force my child to be Democratic or Republican, for instance, or most other sorts of sets of beliefs or ideals which are traditionally passed down.

I'm not sure American political affiliation is analogous here. The traditional American political value is to let the adult citizen have whatever view he or she likes. Hence the whole secret ballot measure.

With spirituality, it's another matter. This isn't about imposing beliefs on a person, it's about bringing a young person into a community, a community in which they can grow and mature. I've already said that no person should be forced to believe anything - and I've also given at least one example of explicit religious teaching that says just this.

Young children often despise doing what is good for them. They don't want to take a bath, for example, or do their homework. But they should, and parents should force them to do these things. No parent can force beliefs without brainwashing, and I've already clearly opposed such a thing. But a parent can force a child to go to community events, like religious service, and they can do this without brainwashing.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:41 pm
@xris,
thank heavens for the voice of wisdom Thomas
Zetherin

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:43 pm
@xris,
I know you're frusterated. Sorry. I am rereading your posts, trying not to gloss over anything. I'll keep it short, don't worry.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I would not suggest that we humans adopt any particular spiritual tradition, or practices, but it does seem to be the case that we do have spiritual needs - even if we wish to re-brand that need as existential, it is the same need. A need for direction and purpose.

Hm, it appears here you use the term "spirituality" more loosely than I had previously thought you were using it. You use it synonymously with, "A need for direction and purpose". So, there's no need for any supernatural beliefs of any sort in your conception of spirituality? I see.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

But a parent can force a child to go to community events, like religious service, and they can do this without brainwashing

Here's the problem. Religious service generally involves the preaching of a God, whatever that God may be. At least most of the religious services I have been to do. If it were just a neutral community event administered to foster growth, I'd be fine. But it's not just about that. It is about the praise and worship of God. And I do think when something is praised in your presence, and you're at a young age, you are influenced to praise that thing. Maybe not forced, but the want to fit in and please others can be of great influence. I know this firsthand.

There's a lot of confusion here. I don't think you understand my position either. I'll go back and read your posts again to try to understand yours better.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 04:46 PM ----------

jeeprs;122819 wrote:
thank heavens for the voice of wisdom Thomas

What about his post did you enjoy the most? Can you articulate what you think the argument is? What do you think I'm arguing?
jeeprs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:51 pm
@xris,
I don't like your use of the word 'supernatural'. I think it is tendentious and prejudicial. It kind of equates the spiritual and moral heritage of the Judeo-Christian tradition with ouija boards and sideshow mediums and cheapens the whole thing. It is the kind of rhetoric trick that people of a scientistic persuasion use to disparage and denigrate spirituality.

I think that is about all.

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 08:57 AM ----------

I also note that in many circles spirituality is 'cool' and religion definitely isn't. I guess I am partially guilty of that as well; I think one of the reasons I have turned to Buddhism rather than my traditional Anglicanism is because it is kind of a cool, non-dogmatic spirituality. BUt as life goes on, and especially in the face of the increasing pace of 'radical seculirzation', I feel compelled to defend my ancestral faith as well. Despite its many and obvious shortcomings which Xris and many others will no doubt highlight at every possible opportunity, I am coming around to the view that Biblical Christianity is actually the bedrock of the Western moral system and if it is casually thrown away, the consequences will be calamitous.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:00 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;122830 wrote:
I don't like your use of the word 'supernatural'. I think it is tendentious and prejudicial. It kind of equates the spiritual and moral heritage of the Judeo-Christian tradition with ouija boards and sideshow mediums and cheapens the whole thing. It is the kind of rhetoric trick that people of a scientistic persuasion use to disparage and denigrate spirituality.

I think that is about all.

Ah, I see. Fair enough.

For the record, I wasn't making a derogatory judgment on the whole Judeo-Christian tradition. Supernatural entities are believed all across the board, nothing exclusive to Judeo-Christian tradition. And traditions encompass much more than a belief in God. To dismiss or insult the entire tradition, everything it has ever stood for or done, simply based on a belief in God I may find silly, would be short-sighted.

Quote:

I think one of the reasons I have turned to Buddhism rather than my traditional Anglicanism is because it is kind of a cool, non-dogmatic spirituality

I can't blame you. I would probably do the same thing had I sought to be considered spiritual. In fact, Buddhism is very practical and reasonable (at least what I've read of it).
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;122821 wrote:
I know you're frusterated. Sorry. I am rereading your posts, trying not to gloss over anything. I'll keep it short, don't worry.

A little, yes, but mostly that's because I know you can get this stuff, because I know you're too damn smart to miss these things. It's always frustrating when someone smarter than yourself seems to miss things that you (to some degree, cause lawd knows I don't understand enough) understand. And that's the feeling I'm having.

Zetherin;122821 wrote:
Hm, it appears here you use the term "spirituality" more loosely than I had previously thought you were using it. You use it synonymously with, "A need for direction and purpose". So, there's no need for any supernatural beliefs of any sort in your conception of spirituality? I see.

Well, I don't want to get tied down to that particular definition, but I will attach myself to this much: spirituality should reject supernatural beliefs, and most certainly does not need them.

But this is not my conception, really. None of these ideas are original to me. Instead, they are my understanding of far more intelligent, educated, and wise people's views as I've read and heard them.

Zetherin;122821 wrote:
Here's the problem. Religious service generally involves the preaching of a God, whatever that God may be. At least most of the religious services I have been to do. If it were just a neutral community event administered to foster growth, I'd be fine. But it's not just about that. It is about the praise and worship of God. And I do think when something is praised in your presence, and you're at a young age, you are influenced to praise that thing. Maybe not forced, but the want to fit in and please others can be of great influence. I know this firsthand.

Yes, God is rather popular in religion. But why is that a problem? I can understand this as a problem if we are talking about the sort of God worshiped by radical Muslims who preach death to all westerners, or if we are talking about the God of that famous Catholic priest who said of the Vietnam War, "My country, right or wrong." But if we are talking about the God of that Catholic monk Thomas Merton, or of Father Delp, or really the traditional conception of God free of the violent, egotistical desires of less-than-spiritual men, I do not see the trouble.

I've tried to be clear about this: it's only going to be good for the child if the teaching comes from wisdom and understanding, and if the example of the teacher corresponds to that wise and understanding teaching.

What I want to know: why is the use of God, which is essentially a metaphysical concept, somehow naturally opposed to a community event that fosters growth?

I agree that children brought into a community worshiping God will be influenced to do the same. And that's exactly the point. But, if we go back to what Jesus said, loving God is the same as loving other people - and what's wrong with that?

Sure, God can be corrupted by vile or ignorant men. And maybe I have not been so clear about the teaching coming from wisdom and understanding, maybe I have not been clear enough about the necessity of good examples for the children. But if the praise of God comes from wisdom and understanding, if the examples are good, then the result must be that worshiping God is loving other people - and loving other people, in my opinion at least, is the essence of good morality.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:11 pm
@jeeprs,
So children enter the church with the freedom to decide what they choose to believe? There is no pressure to attend the church? The community dont expect them to conform? I have been there, I know how it works. When you place your beliefs on your children's young and vulnerable minds you are taking away their choice. I know how faith is taught with certainty, to question an elder is to question your relationship with your family and community. You can have community without a religion , you can teach morality without the baggage of faith. Its the church that makes its community exclusive, not the heathens that live in its shadow. If you dont conform and walk the walk your not welcome.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:17 pm
@xris,
I'm sorry, Xris, but did you have any questions that have yet to be addressed with at least three paragraphs of discourse? Do you have any complaints that have yet to be addressed with at least three paragraphs of discourse?
memester

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:24 pm
@xris,
xris;122842 wrote:
So children enter the church
Here "church" is equated with "religion".
Quote:
with the freedom to decide what they choose to believe? There is no pressure to attend the church? The community dont expect them to conform? I have been there, I know how it works. When you place your beliefs on your children's young and vulnerable minds you are taking away their choice.

as always. we take away their choice to hit others. Even if we do not physically punish at 2yrs, we give a non approval face, a "NO !" - which has been used in classical conditioning mode for some time, and stands for a negative experience.
To the naive organism that is sentient , it is better to hit the other than to be hit.

However, in our society, worse damage can be done to the aggressor, than the "victim" received.

We do not like to go to court, lose freedom and money...so if there is society about, it's often less advantageous to hit than to be hit.

We force this view on the baby. We brook no bullshit. NO HITTING. You can say whatever you like, but there will be NO HITTING. Or sooner or later the police will take you away.
Quote:

now how faith is taught with certainty, to question an elder is to question your relationship with your family and community. You can have community without a religion , you can teach morality without the baggage of faith. Its the church that makes its community exclusive, not the heathens that live in its shadow. If you dont conform and walk the walk your not welcome.
la di da di da dum diddle dee dum.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122843 wrote:
I'm sorry, Xris, but did you have any questions that have yet to be addressed with at least three paragraphs of discourse? Do you have any complaints that have yet to be addressed with at least three paragraphs of discourse?
As this has never been a question an answer debate. I would say we are just repeating our views , I did try leaving the last word with Jeeprs but you tried once again to convince me that my experiences as a child was really in my on best interests. If I had been given a balanced view of religion, it might not have taken thirty years for me to reevaluate my beliefs. I was brain washed by certainty and the fear of not conforming and loosing my community. You paint a very nice picture of this world of church and community but I found it exclusive and bigoted.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 05:29 PM ----------

memester;122846 wrote:
Here "church" is equated with "religion".

as always. we take away their choice to hit others. Even if we do not physically punish at 2yrs, we give a non approval face, a "NO !" - which has been used in classical conditioning mode for some time, and stands for a negative experience.
To the naive organism that is sentient , it is better to hit the other than to be hit.

However, in our society, worse damage can be done to the aggressor, than the "victim" received.

We do not like to go to court, lose freedom and money...so if there is society about, it's often less advantageous to hit than to be hit.

We force this view on the baby. We brook no bullshit. NO HITTING. You can say whatever you like, but there will be NO HITTING. Or sooner or later the police will take you away.
la di da di da dum diddle dee dum.
I have no idea what your on about.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:33 pm
@xris,
Wow, you really seem to think I've said many things that I have not said. I think I see the pattern.

I have never said a word about your experiences in church. And it would be difficult for me to to say anything about them considering the fact that I do not know your experiences.

Nor have I said that church cannot be a place that promotes bigotry and exclusivity. In fact, I have said that religious practices can be harmful. Which brings us back to the last two questions I asked you... so let me rephrase: got anything new to add? Or did you just want to moan about how tough you had it in church?

You know, I'm sorry you had such a rough time. I'm sorry that your community was whatever it was, because obviously somehow, someway, that community repulsed you. And that's a shame. But what I can't understand is why you insist on taking your negative experiences and assuming that everyone else must have those same experiences in every other religious community the world over; why you insist on asserting that all churches suffer in the ways yours did, and that all people who attend them suffer in the way you have. It's a crude generalization.
memester

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:33 pm
@xris,
well, xris, since you have not yet figured out what it is, that is not right...whether it is lack of a factual nature to what is being taught, or forced acceptance of it, or that questioning is not allowed, or that it's simply PLACING YOUR BELIEFS in the mind, that is wrong...you shouldn't expect much except commentary about your "not being able to say what the objection really is".

Try naming JUST one thing at a time and we can dispose of it cleanly for you.

is it that some things taught are not backed with any evidence ? Is that it ?

or is it that we demand certain behaviours ?

what ?

give us your biggie.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:44 pm
@jeeprs,
Didymos Thomas;122432 wrote:

Notice that supernatural is your word here. Supernatural is beyond nature. I see nothing super-natural about the divine or those who are remarkably spiritual, holy people.

I admit I don't understand exactly where you are coming from. If God isn't beyond nature, then there isn't any intervention from him, there isn't a heaven or a hell, and he didn't create the universe or have anything to do with the writing of the bible, and jesus was just a moral philosopher. I don't think this is what you are saying, so I must be missing something, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about metaphysical vs supernatural.

In any case, the list of things I posted is what would I would object to teaching children.

Quote:
But each individual does have the option to accept or reject the ten commandments, et al.

You spoke of religion in general, as if all were just the same. But that is not true. With regards to "dogma", each tradition does have it's own established beliefs, that is true. But this does not necessarily mean that those established beliefs cannot be questioned - the Buddha, for example, explicitly states not to take anything on authority, including his teaching, but that each person should investigate matters for themselves. Hence Lama Yeshe's constant suggestion to "check up for yourself."
Buddha does say that (and buddhism is often taken as a philosophy rather than a religion). But as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

I don't believe people involved in a religious community can freely choose to reject the commandments, unless they also reject any rules about lying. People don't alienate themselves from their social group.

Quote:
Let me ask you something: what makes a scholar authoritative? Or a scientist authoritative? Isn't it their understanding, and the usefulness of their understanding? So isn't it the same with a spiritual teacher? That the teacher, perhaps Jesus, is recognized as something of an authority because we have investigated the teaching and found it to be wise?
But unless you believe the person to be infallible, you shouldn't accept their claims on the basis of it being them who taught it, you should accept it on the basis of the quality of the claim.

Quote:

Are you comparing metaphysical disagreement, disagreement that involves a person's most fundamental understanding of reality, to the disagreement of people's taste buds?
Yes, in that I was pointing out how different they were. There are some things about which we cannot simply disagree.

Quote:
As for expanding/watering-down the definition of religion, that all depends on what you think the definition is in the first place.
Well, I'll try to summarize. I believe that I am wrong about some things. Probably many things. I don't think there is a person, belief system, philosophy, or religion that has all the answers, and I believe the correct answers change with time. Any children of mine would grow up in a different society, with some different moral rules.

Because of that, I would seek to instill in them critical thinking skills and open mindedness once they reach a certain age. At a young age you have to go with simple moral commands and stories. But the end goal is open mindedness and critical thinking, and the teachings of, say, christianity work against that. They start with a specific set of assumptions that must be taken as gospel (<-- get it), and promise dire punishments to those who don't follow. My observation of the world is that the religions have been the slowest to adapt to our modern ideas about what is moral (on issues like homosexuality). Here is where I feel you might disagree--you probably don't see christianity as clinging to moral concepts which have been shown faulty.

You are arguing that this is not an inherent feature. Religion can be taught in a certain way, people can retain their open mindedness and pick and choose. You can say "I did that myself". But you can't possibly know what your children will do. So it isn't an issue of whether it is inherent. It's an issue of whether it is "more likely".

Also, as a side note, at a certain age when children are leaning about morality, they briefly acquire the belief that whenever they do something wrong the will be punished right away, even if no one is around. I think it is a bit mean to add a belief in god and eternal hellfire to that.

jeeprs;122830 wrote:
I think that would be the Occult, not the supernatural.

jeeprs wrote:
I am coming around to the view that Biblical Christianity is actually the bedrock of the Western moral system and if it is casually thrown away, the consequences will be calamitous.

Our moral instincts and cultural ideas are the bedrock of our Western moral system.
xris

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:49 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122853 wrote:
Wow, you really seem to think I've said many things that I have not said. I think I see the pattern.

I have never said a word about your experiences in church. And it would be difficult for me to to say anything about them considering the fact that I do not know your experiences.

Nor have I said that church cannot be a place that promotes bigotry and exclusivity. In fact, I have said that religious practices can be harmful. Which brings us back to the last two questions I asked you... so let me rephrase: got anything new to add? Or did you just want to moan about how tough you had it in church?

You know, I'm sorry you had such a rough time. I'm sorry that your community was whatever it was, because obviously somehow, someway, that community repulsed you. And that's a shame. But what I can't understand is why you insist on taking your negative experiences and assuming that everyone else must have those same experiences in every other religious community the world over; why you insist on asserting that all churches suffer in the ways yours did, and that all people who attend them suffer in the way you have. It's a crude generalization.
No its you that has used your community as an example of happiness and light, a crude generalization. I have no reason to complain to you but only to tell you your example is a fairy story , just like the little house on the prairie. Everything is just hunky dory.Wrap it up how you like with bows and pretty flowers but its still brain washing of the crudest kind.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 05:51 PM ----------

memester;122854 wrote:
well, xris, since you have not yet figured out what it is, that is not right...whether it is lack of a factual nature to what is being taught, or forced acceptance of it, or that questioning is not allowed, or that it's simply PLACING YOUR BELIEFS in the mind, that is wrong...you shouldn't expect much except commentary about your "not being able to say what the objection really is".

Try naming JUST one thing at a time and we can dispose of it cleanly for you.

is it that some things taught are not backed with any evidence ? Is that it ?

or is it that we demand certain behaviours ?

what ?

give us your biggie.
No you work it out for yourself, your good at riddles.
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:01 pm
@xris,
xris;122864 wrote:
No its you that has used your community as an example of happiness and light, a crude generalization. I have no reason to complain to you but only to tell you your example is a fairy story , just like the little house on the prairie. Everything is just hunky dory.Wrap it up how you like with bows and pretty flowers but its still brain washing of the crudest kind.
I think his point was to say that if one person gets food poisoning from food x does that mean that food x is a bad thing? Of course not

and my next point is that teaching a child about morality without teaching him where that morality comes from is like teaching a kid the Pythagorean theorem without showing him how it's derived.

Sure he'll be able to use it but if he really wants to have a true understanding of it he's going to need to see the proof for the theorem
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:14 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122863 wrote:
I admit I don't understand exactly where you are coming from. If God isn't beyond nature, then there isn't any intervention from him,

Not exactly sure what you mean by intervention. I could guess, but I'd rather be clear.

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
there isn't a heaven or a hell,

Sure there is. Recall, Jesus said that Heaven is among us, among people. Hell is a bit trickier. Jesus usually uses a word that refers to a garbage dumb outside of Jerusalem that was often aflame - a rather nasty place. The essence here being that people who live right, treat others well, are in Heaven, and that those who lead a sinful life are in Hell. They are already in these places. It's more like psychological states of mind than some supernatural locations.

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
and he didn't create the universe or have anything to do with the writing of the bible, and jesus was just a moral philosopher.

No, God did not literally create the universe in the same way I might create a clay pot. God did have a role in the writing of scripture in that His presence and reality influenced the authors to write scripture. Jesus was a moral philosopher. But he was also a spiritual teacher - JS Mill was a moral philosopher, but not a spiritual teacher, ya know?

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
Buddha does say that (and buddhism is often taken as a philosophy rather than a religion). But as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

Well, the distinction between philosophy and religion is a bit blurry. Originally, they were the very much same. Socrates meditated. Philosophy was a spiritual practice. A practice of religion.

Sure, people may ignore teaching, but that doesn't mean the teaching isn't there - you can't make the horse drink, but that doesn't mean the water isn't in front of its nose.

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
I don't believe people involved in a religious community can freely choose to reject the commandments, unless they also reject any rules about lying. People don't alienate themselves from their social group.

Sure people alienate themselves from their social group. Happens every day, intentionally and otherwise. I'm sure you have done this before. I know I have.

Why must a person reject every commandment when rejecting, doubting, or having questions about one commandment?

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
But unless you believe the person to be infallible, you shouldn't accept their claims on the basis of it being them who taught it, you should accept it on the basis of the quality of the claim.

I agree. And it is through recognizing that a person makes quality claims/teachings/ect that we recognize them as an authority.

Hmm... let me hazard at an example. I really enjoyed Kerouac's On the Road. This led me to try Big Sur. I really liked that book, too. So I read The Dharma Bums, and sure enough I enjoyed that book as well. After having read those three books, having enjoyed all of them a immensely, I was confident that I would enjoy The Subterranean. So I bought that book with confidence, and, unremarkably, I enjoyed that book, too. Now, I take it on faith that Kerouac is a writer who's works I will enjoy.

Do you see where I'm going? By the end of Matthew's Gospel, I was taking for granted the wisdom of Jesus' words more than I had at the beginning.

Now, I don't think we should take any of it for granted. I think we should always doubt and question, but the more times mama makes a great cake, the more excited I am when she sets to baking.

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
Yes, in that I was pointing out how different they were. There are some things about which we cannot simply disagree.

Okay, but I'm trying to establish that, not only can we disagree about metaphysics, but that we can disagree about metaphysics and still live in harmony with that disagreement so long as we keep an open mind, so long as we appreciate the uniqueness of every person.

There is something of a trend in metaphysics, the idea being that metaphysics is impossible or meaningless. Check out the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy article on the subject, it's by Inwagen, for the whole spiel. And I agree to an extent - metaphysics is not a subject in which one right answer can be discovered. Instead, it is a subject in which many useful and eloquent answers can be discovered, and that the existence of difference among these answers is something to be cherished and celebrated.

To bring it back to religion - Buddhism has no use of God, but God is central to Christianity. Why then can monks from both traditions come together and love one another's traditions, and praise one another's traditions and beautiful and useful to mankind? How can they study one another's traditions and conclude that both are genuine paths to peace? How can they do this in spite of immense differences in the metaphysics of each tradition?

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
Well, I'll try to summarize. I believe that I am wrong about some things. Probably many things. I don't think there is a person, belief system, philosophy, or religion that has all the answers, and I believe the correct answers change with time. Any children of mine would grow up in a different society, with some different moral rules.

Quite true.

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
Because of that, I would seek to instill in them critical thinking skills and open mindedness once they reach a certain age. At a young age you have to go with simple moral commands and stories.

I follow.

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
But the end goal is open mindedness and critical thinking, and the teachings of, say, christianity work against that.

Here we have a problem.

Sometimes this is true. But can we say that about all of Christianity? I do not think so, and I know of examples that seem to prove that Christianity, for example, can work to cultivate open mindedness and critical thinking.

I've mentioned these men before: Thomas Merton calls Thich Nhat Hahn his brother. He says that he and Thich Nhat Hahn believe essentially the same things. How can a Catholic monk say such things if his religion cannot cultivate open-mindedness and critical thinking?

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
My observation of the world is that the religions have been the slowest to adapt to our modern ideas about what is moral (on issues like homosexuality). Here is where I feel you might disagree--you probably don't see christianity as clinging to moral concepts which have been shown faulty.

Sometimes, yes this is true. Sometimes religion is slow, other times religion is ahead of the curb. And this is an easy trap to fall into: the tendency to generalize about the whole based upon a smaller part.

If there are counterexamples, especially strong ones, we have to be careful and keep that nuance, the nuance to recognize that X is possible, but not inherent.

Jebediah;122863 wrote:
You are arguing that this is not an inherent feature. Religion can be taught in a certain way, people can retain their open mindedness and pick and choose. You can say "I did that myself". But you can't possibly know what your children will do. So it isn't an issue of whether it is inherent. It's an issue of whether it is "more likely".

This is a great point! And a new one for this thread as far as I can remember.

My response is to go back to my mention of the way religion is taught: a good, understanding teacher who is the living example of the good teaching. If we have such teachers, isn't it more likely that the student will follow these good examples?

There is nothing more important than the quality of the teacher, no matter the venue, no matter the subject.