Dawkins and childish assumptions

memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 12:47 am
@jeeprs,
McGrath is so very very sensitive that he does not even offer his tu quoque like I said it. He says that some Atheists are concerned about the same thing - he did not really hit on the bit that atheists are violent too, but that sensible ones are also concerned about their own "camp".

and that care he was taking was so evident, that he was in fact offering a demonstration of how to behave as a Christian rather than giving a ripping riposte.

but since he did write that Book with Dawkins name on it, I think he should have ripped.

---------- Post added 01-25-2010 at 01:54 AM ----------

jeeprs;122311 wrote:
I agree with you - actually I think your last point is spot on - but it would be good to develop the argument without the sense of exasperation which mirrors Dawkin's own.
Dawkins and I are infected with the same church meme. I'm pretty sure. It's my affinity for his position, telling me that.
I knew it was Tennyson before I knew Tennyson was part of the debate.I remember the first time I read that.

From the text a couple pages back. Dawkins explanation kinda falls apart when you consider love for a person who is gone (whether dead or just whereabouts unknown ). that love is not a hallucination any more than Dawkins love for a person who is alive. Because if you do not know whether the person is alive...as in during MOST of our waking and sleeping time...it falls under the hallucination of loving something that may not exist. but then when you see them again, it's weally weal !

he's a mess.

---------- Post added 01-25-2010 at 02:55 AM ----------

xris;121957 wrote:
So would you send your child to a mosque if one was close to your home? With your attitude the faith of a child depends on his locality. Your telling me a belief system does not depend on the truth of its god but its location.
Certainly. Why be ignorant of your neighbour's religion ?
There are mosques which tell women who feel oppression from it, that they should burn their burkas if that is a problem or a symbol of their problem. that public money should not go to islamic schools or any religious schools. that teachers should not be allowed to hide their faces due to custom.
If the religion poses a danger such as a death cult, Heaven's Gate or somesuch, does, then no, you can't send them there.
And not to camp with a bunch of "celibate" adults who want to take em in the woods.

Back to Dawkins...calling Eugene Balon "looney, stupid, in need of psychiatric help."
Environment, development and ... - Google Books

Balon is a dedicated researcher who attracted to his university the largest donation of fossils given to a university in the country. He's reporting on what he has actually found, himself, by detailed research, and giving his explanation. Looney, could be. Could not be called "stupid" by any means.

He's nuanced. He noticed that mistakes happen if you calculate "age" from hatching date, for instance...the eggs hatch a different times, and are affected by external conditions and of course internal egg conditions ...so some embryos will slow down their pace if they sense conditions are not right for fast hatching and growth.
and these small changes in timing produce their organs at different times and in differing configurations...always having a fork in the route...two choices available through developmental stages...sometimes even ending up in same phenotypic place though through different choices.
xris

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:45 am
@memester,
Its not a matter of being ignorant of your neighbours religion. Ignorance and ignoring the blatant brain washing the faithful commit their children to, is child abuse.

After centuries of religion being passed as certainties, its well over due that we have ardent atheists making a stand. For ever Dawkins advocating critical investigation into accepted faith driven religions, you will have a thousand blinkered ignorant fools demanding we believe in the most foul and stupid dogmatic scriptures. His profile is only maintained because he speaks for many like minded thinkers, he at last gives a balance to the whole debate.
memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:39 am
@xris,
xris;122338 wrote:
Its not a matter of being ignorant of your neighbours religion. Ignorance and ignoring the blatant brain washing the faithful commit their children to, is child abuse.

After centuries of religion being passed as certainties, its well over due that we have ardent atheists making a stand. For ever Dawkins advocating critical investigation into accepted faith driven religions, you will have a thousand blinkered ignorant fools demanding we believe in the most foul and stupid dogmatic scriptures. His profile is only maintained because he speaks for many like minded thinkers, he at last gives a balance to the whole debate.
oh, it's equal brainwashing time that you're actually after. and why not ? send em to atheist church too. now it's all good and balanced
xris

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:57 am
@memester,
memester;122343 wrote:
oh, it's equal brainwashing time that you're actually after. and why not ? send em to atheist church too. now it's all good and balanced
Did I actually recommend that? Not teaching something that is not proven, is not brainwashing. Would you advocate teaching creation as a fact? In my opinion giving any religious education as a fact, is counter to their freedom of choice. I'm not saying that children should be shielded from the knowledge but it should be given with no bias and be allowed to be openly questioned.
0 Replies

josh0335

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:04 am
@xris,
Seems to me that you're missing the fact that to the parents it is fact, and so are justified in teaching it.
xris

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:44 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;122350 wrote:
Seems to me that you're missing the fact that to the parents it is fact, and so are justified in teaching it.
So you believe that its the right of the parents to teach them what they think is correct? Do you think that is the case on all occasions? You dont think the state should be the judge on what is educated to our youths?
memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:50 am
@josh0335,
the logic involved is interesting.

because of previous centuries we should treat the children a certain way.

dawkins is not offering his own view. funny, and yet this is the guy who says those who do not accept it are the equivalent of holocaust deniers.

funny that. mr. freedom wants social outcasting of those who do not believe him.

so yup, he's our man, our model. our hero.

the more things change the more they stay the same, eh ?

believe or you will be cast down.
0 Replies

josh0335

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:51 am
@xris,
xris;122369 wrote:
So you believe that its the right of the parents to teach them what they think is correct? Do you think that is the case on all occasions? You dont think the state should be the judge on what is educated to our youths?

I believe the state should provide the main curriculum for all children. But parents should be allowed to teach their children whatever they think is beneficial. You can't rely on state education to cover everything.

What about something completely non-religious like being vegetarian? Is it 'brainwashing' if a parent teaches their child that it is wrong to kill animals for food before the child can make that decision independently?
memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:56 am
@josh0335,
or wrong to hit others. how about that. wrong to teach that it's wrong. the state needs to get involved with the education of the two year olds. the terrible two year olds.
calling Dr. Dawkins...calling Dr. Dawkins...the Sensible One.

please , sir, do we abuse when we tell the child it's wrong to hit, even there is not a shred of empirical evidence to tell us it's wrong ?

"That doesn't matter. Just don't teach religion and do teach Selfish Gene and everything is groovy. or be cast out. Your choice. If we hear about you questioning, you will be removed, for your child abuse."
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 10:22 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;122373 wrote:
I believe the state should provide the main curriculum for all children. But parents should be allowed to teach their children whatever they think is beneficial. You can't rely on state education to cover everything.

What about something completely non-religious like being vegetarian? Is it 'brainwashing' if a parent teaches their child that it is wrong to kill animals for food before the child can make that decision independently?
How far would you allow, what they feel is beneficial ? Giving them the opportunity to see more than one religion and the debate that might follow is not denying them their parental rights. Whoever decides it should be introduced when they have the ability to rationalise the questions. In my opinion those parents who are so determine have suffered the same indoctrination. The Nazis thought that sending their children to Hitler youth camps, was the right thing to do. If your truth is so certain introduce it when they are free to choose.

---------- Post added 01-25-2010 at 11:29 AM ----------

memester;122374 wrote:
or wrong to hit others. how about that. wrong to teach that it's wrong. the state needs to get involved with the education of the two year olds. the terrible two year olds.
calling Dr. Dawkins...calling Dr. Dawkins...the Sensible One.

please , sir, do we abuse when we tell the child it's wrong to hit, even there is not a shred of empirical evidence to tell us it's wrong ?

"That doesn't matter. Just don't teach religion and do teach Selfish Gene and everything is groovy. or be cast out. Your choice. If we hear about you questioning, you will be removed, for your child abuse."
There is just a little difference in teaching your child moral behaviour and telling them that there is a god for certain.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:42 am
@xris,
xris;121957 wrote:
So would you send your child to a mosque if one was close to your home? With your attitude the faith of a child depends on his locality. Your telling me a belief system does not depend on the truth of its god but its location.

If there were no other places of worship nearby, no community of a faith of which I am more familiar, and if after attending the mosque and meeting the Imam I think it to be a wholesome environment with qualified instruction, sure I would.

Dave Allen;121963 wrote:
I think the important matter is the moral message, not the fact that the messenger was somehow supernatural.

Notice that supernatural is your word here. Supernatural is beyond nature. I see nothing super-natural about the divine or those who are remarkably spiritual, holy people.

So let's ask: what makes someone holy? It would be their moral message (X), and their practice of that message: not simply saying X, but living X.

Dave Allen;121963 wrote:
So I think I'm entitled to bemoan an aspect of education without any motivation to teach.

Sure, but that's not my point. My point is that I am all in favor of you, or anyone else, putting together the sort of book you speak of, only that I do not see how the possibility of abridged secular moral treatises somehow diminishes the usefulness of existing religious moral instruction.

Dave Allen;121963 wrote:

But that's the thing with evoking the Nazis as an example - because they used a bit of everything to justify themselves - they can be held up as evidence of why using any particular justification is a bad thing.

Except that all I did was show that brilliant philosophy can be manipulated for violent ends just as great religion can be manipulated for violent ends.

---------- Post added 01-25-2010 at 01:00 PM ----------

Jebediah;121305 wrote:
Yes, they are each differently dogmatic. The moral principles are based on tradition and are not to for the believer to decide upon. The ten commandments are set in stone as it were.

But each individual does have the option to accept or reject the ten commandments, et al.

You spoke of religion in general, as if all were just the same. But that is not true. With regards to "dogma", each tradition does have it's own established beliefs, that is true. But this does not necessarily mean that those established beliefs cannot be questioned - the Buddha, for example, explicitly states not to take anything on authority, including his teaching, but that each person should investigate matters for themselves. Hence Lama Yeshe's constant suggestion to "check up for yourself."

Jebediah;121305 wrote:
Well, we agree on religion at it's worst. But see, in your last sentence you still have the conclusion "Jesus is authoritative". If the sermon is a great teaching, then they can eventually be taught why, and the reason surely can't be because Jesus said it.

Let me ask you something: what makes a scholar authoritative? Or a scientist authoritative? Isn't it their understanding, and the usefulness of their understanding? So isn't it the same with a spiritual teacher? That the teacher, perhaps Jesus, is recognized as something of an authority because we have investigated the teaching and found it to be wise?

Jebediah;121305 wrote:
Any time you teach children morals, it's going to be a kind of "this is how it is", with some stories to help perhaps. They aren't going to read mill as you said. You can teach them a moral framework with stories etc in the way you are describing good religion. What isn't necessary is the concepts of god, heaven and hell that come along with it. Belief in the supernatural is not necessary.

And I would suggest that neither God, nor Heaven and Hell are supernatural. They are much closer to metaphysical.

Jebediah;121305 wrote:
You did, but when raising a child how do you know that they will not feel obligated to stick with the religion they were taught? And if you agree that freedom is a good thing then why religion at all?

First, I do not suggest that we must have or use religion. All I am saying is that religion can, and often is when properly practiced, useful for these things.

To answer your first question: I would say that it should be taught as children become older and develop the ability and responsibility that goes with increasingly critical thought, that they should not be discouraged from studying other faiths or even practicing other faiths, or even discouraged from studying or practicing atheism of some kind.

To answer the last question: because it seems to me that religion, when taught and practiced well, is in no way at all a limit upon a person's freedom. Instead, religion seems to be a path to freedom, a way to cultivate the courage to be truly free. This modern martyr found his strength to be free in his faith:
Alfred Delp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I first heard of this man in a book by Catholic monk Thomas Merton, a man who called Thich Nhat Hahn, a Zen Buddhist monk, his brother, who produced his own poetic adaptation of Chuang Tzu, the ancient Taoist text, and a man who spoke against America's war in Vietnam, openly criticizing many of his Catholic peers in the process.

Jebediah;121305 wrote:
Moral disagreement isn't the same as other disagreement. If I say I like dill pickles and you say you like bread and butter, neither of us care about the disagreement. If you say stealing is wrong and I say it isn't, then we aren't just disagreeing.

Are you comparing metaphysical disagreement, disagreement that involves a person's most fundamental understanding of reality, to the disagreement of people's taste buds?

Jebediah;121305 wrote:
And do atheists have trouble with this? There is metaphysical philosphy without religion.

Some do some dont, just as some religious people do and others dont.

Yes, there is metaphysics without religion, but there is also metaphysics in religion.

But let's stay on point: you asked, why all the metaphysics in religion? I answered, essentially, that people naturally develop metaphysical outlooks, and that these outlooks typically, if not always, influence all other beliefs. Thus, using metaphysics to help create a larger world view is useful when we address the moral aspect of worldview (assuming these divisions between metaphysics/morals makes any sense at all - we'll leave that for another conversation). Religion being a category that contains a great many worldviews.

Jebediah;121305 wrote:
I don't really see a strong argument for religion being taught to children, unless you wish to expand or water down the definition of religion.

To sum up: religion can be an effective way for children to learn morality. Not the only way, not necessarily the best way, but also not an ineffective way, nor the worst way. Like anything else, like secular morality, religion must be taught well, and must also come with true examples.

As for expanding/watering-down the definition of religion, that all depends on what you think the definition is in the first place.
memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:00 pm
@xris,
xris;122400 wrote:
How far would you allow, what they feel is beneficial ? Giving them the opportunity to see more than one religion and the debate that might follow is not denying them their parental rights. Whoever decides it should be introduced when they have the ability to rationalise the questions. In my opinion those parents who are so determine have suffered the same indoctrination. The Nazis thought that sending their children to Hitler youth camps, was the right thing to do. If your truth is so certain introduce it when they are free to choose.

---------- Post added 01-25-2010 at 11:29 AM ----------

There is just a little difference in teaching your child moral behaviour and telling them that there is a god for certain.
why ? why is it OK to tell 2 yr old Johnny for certain that it's bad that Johnny strikes out at others? what empirical evidence have you got, to show that it it's bad ? What is the measure of badness here ? social acceptability ? I'm afraid that religion is socially acceptable.
xris

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
So religious indoctrination is essential no matter what your beliefs are? Why is it essential that children should be exposed to debatable subjects before they have the ability to reason? Throw them in the deep end before they can paddle. I find this attitude very archaic.
memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:04 pm
@xris,
xris;122492 wrote:
So religious indoctrination is essential no matter what your beliefs are?
did someone say that ?
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@memester,
memester;122491 wrote:
why ? why is it OK to tell 2 yr old Johnny for certain that it's bad that Johnny strikes out at others? what empirical evidence have you got, to show that it it's bad ? What is the measure of badness here ? social acceptability ? I'm afraid that religion is socially acceptable.
If its beyond your comprehension to see the difference between teaching moral behaviour and indoctrinating a child into a dogmatic faith, my attempts will never help you.

---------- Post added 01-25-2010 at 03:13 PM ----------

memester;122493 wrote:
did someone say that ?
So what would you call telling a child that god exists. Mummy and Daddy believe it, that nice man with the white frock will tell you all about it. Sing songs about the wonder of god and never let him question your faith without advising him of his rights. Look at the percentages, when its taught it sticks like ship.
memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 03:18 pm
@xris,
xris;122495 wrote:
If its beyond your comprehension to see the difference between teaching moral behaviour and indoctrinating a child into a dogmatic faith, my attempts will never help you.
then it is indeed fortunate for me, that I am not dependent on your explanations.
Quote:
So what would you call telling a child that god exists. Mummy and Daddy believe it, that nice man with the white frock will tell you all about it. Sing songs about the wonder of god and never let him question your faith without advising him of his rights. Look at the percentages, when its taught it sticks like ship.
oh, the assumption that Johnny is not allowed to question.

Is that indeed necessarily a part of religion ? Are some religions allowing questioning, and others aren't, some parents allowing questioning, and others aren't ?
Let's take Judaeism. Is questioning allowed by parents ?
and let's take moral values taught without religion. Is questioning allowed by parents ? when a parent says "do not hit others" to 2 year old Johhny, what kind of philosophical response would one expect from Johnny ?

If not to try it out some more until at 4 or somewhere he gets some physical retribution happening on his behind. Ain't that the way it goes...what is the parent's final secular argument to be ? that if you do not accept this as true, that you should not hit others, then eventually the police will "take you away".
force.threats of permanent loss of family unit security = loss of life as it is known..
Zetherin

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 03:49 pm
@xris,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Humans have, after all, done exactly what I am supporting since humans have existed.

That's no reason to continue doing it. And, personally, I believe it's the wrong way to go about things. And it seems others are taking this lead; I know many households which do not push any particular religion on their children (and I probably couldn't say this 100 years ago, you're right). They allow their children to grow up and decide for themselves if they wish to pursue spirituality. And this, I think, is the right way to do things.

Quote:
It also seems to be the case that using God in that instruction is often times productive, useful, helpful, a benefit to the student.

Maybe it does help, I don't know (I can't really think of any reason why it would be a good way, or a better way than others). But I also know there are other ways, and I also believe it's wrong to force a child to believe in some supernatural entity they aren't even mature enough to comprehend in order to reinforce how we ought to do things. Let the child grow up and believe or not; the belief in spiritual matters should not be forced by any parental figures - it is a personal venture.

But don't think my stance here just concerns spiritual matters. I wouldn't force my child to be Democratic or Republican, for instance, or most other sorts of sets of beliefs or ideals which are traditionally passed down.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:01 pm
@memester,
memester;122514 wrote:
then it is indeed fortunate for me, that I am not dependent on your explanations.
oh, the assumption that Johnny is not allowed to question.

Is that indeed necessarily a part of religion ? Are some religions allowing questioning, and others aren't, some parents allowing questioning, and others aren't ?
Let's take Judaeism. Is questioning allowed by parents ?
and let's take moral values taught without religion. Is questioning allowed by parents ? when a parent says "do not hit others" to 2 year old Johhny, what kind of philosophical response would one expect from Johnny ?

If not to try it out some more until at 4 or somewhere he gets some physical retribution happening on his behind. Ain't that the way it goes...what is the parent's final secular argument to be ? that if you do not accept this as true, that you should not hit others, then eventually the police will "take you away".
force.threats of permanent loss of family unit security = loss of life as it is known..
Im not in the habit of involving myself in silly circular arguments, just refer to my previous reply as it is just as relevant to this your present rhetoric comments.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:02 pm
@xris,
I have two grown boys, now 17 and 21. Fortunately, they are generally balanced and sane individuals. They got a lot of religious influence at a young age from maternal grandmother, who is a very pious Christian (but in no way a disciplinarian or evangelical.) Her family are in, or actually make up, a rather quaint, old-fashioned dissident protestant sect, rather like the Amish, but not nearly so severe.

Personally I am very glad my boys got an exposure to this thinking at a young age. I think it was character-forming for them. I never lectured them about anything religious, although we have always had many deep conversations about life the universe and everything (especially older son, who is studying journalism.) Neither are now religiously committed in any way, but I think they have a subliminal, basic religious ethic. Younger son is slightly interested in Buddhism, or anyway thinks it is 'cool'.

Brainwashing - interesting that so many are so aghast at the diabolical influence of the 'foul and dogmatic' churches in a world awash with consumerism, pornography, commercialisation of values, the sexualisation of children, the constant exposure to gratuitous and meaningless violence, the worship of promotion and the constant promotion of alchohol and cheap thrills. We have currently an epidemic of youth drunkeness, an epidemic of chlamydia and an epidemic of youth suicide, to name a but few symptoms of our brilliantly enlightened and religion-free culture.
xris

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:14 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;122530 wrote:
I have two grown boys, now 17 and 21. Fortunately, they are generally balanced and sane individuals. They got a lot of religious influence at a young age from maternal grandmother, who is a very pious Christian (but in no way a disciplinarian or evangelical.) Her family are in, or actually make up, a rather quaint, old-fashioned dissident protestant sect, rather like the Amish, but not nearly so severe.

Personally I am very glad my boys got an exposure to this thinking at a young age. I think it was character-forming for them. I never lectured them about anything religious, although we have always had many deep conversations about life the universe and everything (especially older son, who is studying journalism.) Neither are now religiously committed in any way, but I think they have a subliminal, basic religious ethic. Younger son is slightly interested in Buddhism, or anyway thinks it is 'cool'.

Brainwashing - interesting that so many are so aghast at the diabolical influence of the 'foul and dogmatic' churches in a world awash with consumerism, pornography, commercialisation of values, the sexualisation of children, the constant exposure to gratuitous and meaningless violence, the worship of promotion and the constant promotion of alchohol and cheap thrills. We have currently an epidemic of youth drunkeness, an epidemic of chlamydia and an epidemic of youth suicide, to name a but few symptoms of our brilliantly enlightened and religion-free culture.
The probability of a child brought up as a christian or a muslim by common knowledge will end up what he has been taught. The same goes for a child who experiences anything at an early age. The world of the atheist does not spawn sex obsessed drunk suicidal maniacs and the world of the faithful does not stop their children from falling foul of these failings. A child can have a moral education and be brought up a well balanced adult without this indoctrination at an early age. If religion was introduced as an observation rather than a certainty why would that be so wrong. Your elitist views of religious moral ability, I find disturbing.