Dawkins and childish assumptions

Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:30 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
My response is to go back to my mention of the way religion is taught: a good, understanding teacher who is the living example of the good teaching. If we have such teachers, isn't it more likely that the student will follow these good examples?

There is nothing more important than the quality of the teacher, no matter the venue, no matter the subject.

On a personal level I agree. With a good teacher, religion can be valuable. It works better for some people certainly. So, if I knew someone well, it's quite likely that I would have no objections to them teaching religion to their children. You do have to teach morality as you understand it.

But on a societal level, I'm against it. Even in Buddhism, where it is specifically emphasized to think for yourself, people learn the precepts and follow them. Many people take the moral codes they are taught as absolute, and are prejudice against other belief systems. It just doesn't seem to work out.

In there rest of our discussion that I haven't quoted, we are venturing more into a metaphysical discussion. My objection is to the literal, traditional heaven and hell being taught to children, as is still widely done.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:37 pm
@Jebediah,
Why the discrepancy between personal and societal? Societies are built of people, after all, built of the personal.

Of course there are examples in every tradition of prejudice and non-thinking. But there are also examples of the opposite, of exactly what we're looking for - of open-mindedness, of a harmonious existence of differences.

The question seem to me to be: how do we get more of these good examples, and fewer of these bad examples?

And I do not think this is limited to religion. We find the same trends in secular morality.
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122887 wrote:
The question seem to me to be: how do we get more of these good examples, and fewer of these bad examples?

And I do not think this is limited to religion. We find the same trends in secular morality.
Agreed. And as you said, I think it all starts with the teachers.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:46 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122887 wrote:
Why the discrepancy between personal and societal? Societies are built of people, after all, built of the personal.

Of course there are examples in every tradition of prejudice and non-thinking. But there are also examples of the opposite, of exactly what we're looking for - of open-mindedness, of a harmonious existence of differences.

I think we can, in public debate, freely discuss and update a "secular standard" that will be applied in our laws and in our schools. This won't be perfect of course, but it is adaptable. How can we do the same with religion? There is more red tape, so to speak, and we have separation of church and state.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:47 pm
@xris,
heck, I rebelled against my Anglican Boys school and was almost expelled for protesting against Vietnam (I wore a moratorium badge on my School Cadet uniform...). I got caned by the school chaplain for not understanding maths. I was a hippie rebel and a drop-out and never got confirmed in Church. So I guess my views on it are more 'philosophical' than 'reactionary'. But I still feel there are plenty of forces around that are indoctrinating children (and everyone else) that are more descructive than a well-taught religious ethos.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:58 pm
@jeeprs,
Jebediah;122900 wrote:
I think we can, in public debate, freely discuss and update a "secular standard" that will be applied in our laws and in our schools. This won't be perfect of course, but it is adaptable. How can we do the same with religion? There is more red tape, so to speak, and we have separation of church and state.

Why must the state be involved at all?

There is a great legacy of debate in many of the world's religions - Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, and so forth. The debate was and in some places still is part of the religious practice. This is why I say we can have doubt, we can deny, we can challenge any aspect of our faith tradition.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:47 pm
@xris,
The idea of blind faith has never been a very good one. But according to many, all faith is blind, and consists always of the willingness, and the gullibility, required to cling to 'a proposition' for which there is no ground or evidence. IN fact a lot of people do understand religion as 'clinging to beliefs for which there is no evidence', and a lot of believers validate that, because that is exactly what they do.

but as has been pointed out, honest skepticism and debate have always been part of the traditions too. For some reason the current period seems to accentuate fundamentalism on both sides of the divide - fundamentalist religion on one side, and secular fundamentalism on the other. Oh for the wisdom of a middle way.
Amperage

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:03 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;122922 wrote:
The idea of blind faith has never been a very good one. But according to many, all faith is blind, and consists always of the willingness, and the gullibility, required to cling to 'a proposition' for which there is no ground or evidence. IN fact a lot of people do understand religion as 'clinging to beliefs for which there is no evidence', and a lot of believers validate that, because that is exactly what they do.
do you have faith in yourself? I'm not sure all faith is blind nor is faith a bad thing. And I'm not sure faith in God is blind. If someone asked me to do something I've never done before, if I accepted it, I would have faith in myself to do it based possibly on things I've done in the past that were similar or just on visualization of the problem or whatever. IMO there are enough tangential issues, experiences, and evidences to assert that my faith in God is not blind.

I only wanted to bring this up to maybe discuss the issue of faith and having faith in something, it really has nothing to do with what you said jeeprs other than you were talking about faith and it was a nice segue
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:29 pm
@xris,
I am completely with you on that Amperage...I have come to understand something about faith due to various experiences, probably quite unorthodox from the mainstream viewpoint but very meaningful to me nonetheless. I have devoted quite a bit of time to meditation and am kind of 'feeling my way' into it.

I think the original idea behind blind faith was 'don't try and figure this out, just go with it, it will work out'. Quite OK if you're with a trusted friend or guide, another thing altogether if you hear from the head of a large multinational corporation (i.e. the Church).

Through meditation I have learned that there really is such a thing as 'the eye of the heart' which will sound unbearably sentimental and wishy washy to all your hard-edged empiricists. But I guess in all of this, coming to the understanding because you work it out yourself and can see the meaning of it, is completely different from being grabbed by the scruff and dunked in it.

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 12:31 PM ----------

Speaking of which, check out this lovely website

Eye of the Heart
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 06:14 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;122871 wrote:
I think his point was to say that if one person gets food poisoning from food x does that mean that food x is a bad thing? Of course not

and my next point is that teaching a child about morality without teaching him where that morality comes from is like teaching a kid the Pythagorean theorem without showing him how it's derived.

Sure he'll be able to use it but if he really wants to have a true understanding of it he's going to need to see the proof for the theorem
Your telling me I could not have taught my children morality from a secular perspective? You are telling me my children are amoral. How you can be so abusive and not even recognise you are,it amazes me. This is the type of certainty the faithful display that gives me these concerns about religious indoctrination. You cant imagine an atheist with a moral view on life that encourages family and community values.
memester

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:45 am
@xris,
xris;122984 wrote:
Your telling me I could not have taught my children morality from a secular perspective? You are telling me my children are amoral. How you can be so abusive and not even recognise you are,it amazes me.
? wow. Wow. WOW. this is getting pretty far out there . I think perhaps you should take a nice rest, xris.
xris

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 09:07 am
@memester,
memester;122999 wrote:
? wow. Wow. WOW. this is getting pretty far out there . I think perhaps you should take a nice rest, xris.
I think your intentions are clear, you have nothing of value to add, ever, so you play the village idiot. I must say you do it well.:sarcastic:
memester

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:13 am
@xris,
xris;123013 wrote:
I think your intentions are clear, you have nothing of value to add, ever, so you play the village idiot. I must say you do it well.:sarcastic:
your claims are ridiculous, xris. you are claiming Amperage is abusing . Get a grip. calm down. it's not so. You claim that "abuse" , from this:
Quote:

I think his point was to say that if one person gets food poisoning from food x does that mean that food x is a bad thing? Of course not

and my next point is that teaching a child about morality without teaching him where that morality comes from is like teaching a kid the Pythagorean theorem without showing him how it's derived.

Sure he'll be able to use it but if he really wants to have a true understanding of it he's going to need to see the proof for the theorem

so you really need to calm down, xris.
Personally, I'm not convinced that piercing an infant's ears is not abuse. Taken to extremes, getting 150 piercings or full body tattoos done, might attract some attention from authorities..otherwise, we let it go.
xris

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:16 pm
@memester,
memester;123032 wrote:
your claims are ridiculous, xris. you are claiming Amperage is abusing . Get a grip. calm down. it's not so. You claim that "abuse" , from this:

so you really need to calm down, xris.
Personally, I'm not convinced that piercing an infant's ears is not abuse.
And I think if you want to play the abusive clown you should practice in the play ground first. Silly bullish fools do so much better there.
Amperage

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:18 pm
@xris,
xris;122984 wrote:
Your telling me I could not have taught my children morality from a secular perspective? You are telling me my children are amoral. How you can be so abusive and not even recognise you are,it amazes me. This is the type of certainty the faithful display that gives me these concerns about religious indoctrination. You cant imagine an atheist with a moral view on life that encourages family and community values.
well that is by no means how I meant it, what I was implying, or even what I said, but if you took offense, then I apologize. Allow me to clarify. Yes, you can teach your children morality from a secular perspective.
No, I am not telling you that your children are amoral.
Yes, I can imagine an atheist with a moral view on life that encourages family and community values, and, in fact, I know there atheists who have a firmer grip on morality than some Christians I've met.

My point was this: you can teach morality anyway you want, but if you believe in objective morals, meaning that morality is not just subjective but that some things are really wrong...really(not just subjectively but objectively) and some thing are really right, then there must exist an anchor for those objective morals. For me, God is that anchor. This is why I stated that one can teach morality in the same way that one can teach the pythagorean theorem. In either case (morality or the pythagorean theorem), one will obtain enough information to use them for their designed purpose, however, if one wishes to have a deeper understanding of where these things come from and why these things work the way they do, then one needs to go deeper into either the proof or the anchor of objective morals.
memester

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:34 pm
@xris,
xris;123048 wrote:
And I think if you want to play the abusive clown you should practice in the play ground first. Silly bullish fools do so much better there.
you are only identifying yourself as the most abusive person on this thread. see how nice amperage is ? calm down, xris.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:12 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;123049 wrote:
well that is by no means how I meant it, what I was implying, or even what I said, but if you took offense, then I apologize. Allow me to clarify. Yes, you can teach your children morality from a secular perspective.
No, I am not telling you that your children are amoral.
Yes, I can imagine an atheist with a moral view on life that encourages family and community values, and, in fact, I know there atheists who have a firmer grip on morality than some Christians I've met.

My point was this: you can teach morality anyway you want, but if you believe in objective morals, meaning that morality is not just subjective but that some things are really wrong...really(not just subjectively but objectively) and some thing are really right, then there must exist an anchor for those objective morals. For me, God is that anchor. This is why I stated that one can teach morality in the same way that one can teach the pythagorean theorem. In either case (morality or the pythagorean theorem), one will obtain enough information to use them for their designed purpose, however, if one wishes to have a deeper understanding of where these things come from and why these things work the way they do, then one needs to go deeper into either the proof or the anchor of objective morals.
I appreciate your apology but your reasoning is not in my opinion correct. When I tried to teach morals to my kids it was from a perspective that we treated others as we would like to be treated. It did not need a higher entity giving me advice or enforce their understanding.

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 03:16 PM ----------

memester;123057 wrote:
you are only identifying yourself as the most abusive person on this thread. see how nice amperage is ? calm down, xris.
I am as calm as mill pool on summers eve. I may be just little annoyed with your juvenile humour but that will pass, especially when you learn to be civil. As the green man said, you aint seen me mad, you wont like it.
memester

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
@xris,
thank you for the extra "personal" commentary...once again, xris.

most animals that are sentient know it is better to hit than be hit.

you offered your kids something they would have some dissonance over, depending on amount of knowledge about society's workings, that they possessed.

and if they did not treat others in the manner you had prescribed, then what ?

and so the smart ones quickly learn to obey. the ones not able to assimilate get punished for not accepting your artifical version, your counterintuitive account of which choice is the better one, of "to be hit or to hit".
xris

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:52 pm
@memester,
memester;123072 wrote:
thank you for the extra "personal" commentary...once again, xris.

most animals that are sentient know it is better to hit than be hit.

you offered your kids something they would have some dissonance over, depending on amount of knowledge about society's workings, that they possessed.

and if they did not treat others in the manner you had prescribed, then what ?

and so the smart ones quickly learn to obey. the ones not able to assimilate get punished for not accepting your artifical version, your counterintuitive account of which choice is the better one, of "to be hit or to hit".
I did not need a black book with scary scriptures to make my point. I had my problems like all parents but teaching them empathy by reason, gave me success. If you want to use the bible as guide to your kids, so be it, but dont expect me to clap when you teach them scriptures as a certainty.
memester

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:02 pm
@xris,
xris;123079 wrote:
I did not need a black book with scary scriptures to make my point. I had my problems like all parents but teaching them empathy by reason, gave me success. If you want to use the bible as guide to your kids, so be it, but dont expect me to clap when you teach them scriptures as a certainty.
I see. there was a process that had some problems and light coercion worked wonders; they were easy to brainwash. Or at least they knew to behave as though they were, so that you got off the case...Very Happy
I was not aware that there were people here expecting applause from you for teaching religion. Weren't me, that's for sho' nuff. Specially seein' as how I don't teach no religion to nobody, AngryCuz.