Out of body experiences

MITech

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:15 pm
Has anyone ever had an out of body experience. I just had one recently and it was a very scary experience.

Basically I was in my room and had just woken up in the morning and all of a sudden I could no longer control my movements and so I fell to the floor. What was odd about it was that I could no longer see normally but in like a birds eye view of everything. It wan't a seizure because my brother was there and witnessed this.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had any of these experiences. Should I go and see a psych. or should I just let it pass by as something that has just happened in my life and let it be as it is.

If anyone has any tips on how to cope with this please feel free to respond.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,174 • Replies: 46
No top replies

JoseyDaisyChains

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:02 pm
@MITech,
Do you remember what you were dreaming about?

was you worrying or having any problems at the time of this occurance?

when you were looking down at yourself what was running through your head?

^_^ id love to help you but need to know more

sounds like you had a pretty amazing experience, as your aware that this is not the normal i wouldnt say you need to see a psychologist.

ive had outa body exp. not as vivid and interesting as yours but it did shake me a bit
MITech

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:56 pm
@JoseyDaisyChains,
To be honest I wasn't worrying about anything at the time. I can't seem to recall dreaming beforehand either. I am on medication. That might have caused all of this. Although this has happened to me before I have ever even been on medication.
Joe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:50 am
@MITech,
If your interested look up some info on Lucid dreaming. It may not seem relevant but it might help gather your thoughts on something you don't quite understand. If not for psychological benefits, its in interesting look into your own perceptions.
MITech

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 04:20 pm
@Joe,
This wasn't when I was sleeping though.
Joe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 04:36 pm
@MITech,
MITech wrote:
This wasn't when I was sleeping though.

i understand that, I'm merely mentioning a subject that does discuss out of body experience.
MITech

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 05:09 pm
@Joe,
Oh , alright then.
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 05:32 pm
@MITech,
What do you mean "cope" with OBE's. You're lucky to have that unique experience. I mean the paralyzed part doesn't sound too appealing, but it's all good.

OBE's and lucid dreaming relate to each other greatly. Here's a link for some more information on the matter. Out-Of-Body Experiences and Lucid Dreams

An interesting quote I found here indicates that, "
OBE is a mental event that happens to healthy
people" (from the link I gave).

This is true if OBE's are not hallucinations, apparently:rolleyes:. However, I believe that
OBE's can be both hallucinations and normal brain functions, because can't drugs be a factor in OBE's?

Though studies have been done on OBE patients who at the midst of dying, have these experiences. Pictures are put in the room, oblivious to the patient, and not in the line of sight a patient can be in, unless having the out of body experience (I'm guessing bird's eye view). And when the patient is told to describe the event of an OBE, his/her surroundings, "apparently", "the results were quite surprising". I found that interesting:a-ok:
MITech

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 05:36 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I fail to see how obe has anything to do with lucid dreaming because I was not dreaming at all at the time it occured.
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 05:42 pm
@MITech,
Well I look at it this way. I see no subjective difference between a lucid dream and being awake, other than the absurdity of the reality. (which I don't object to)
Joe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 05:53 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Well a link can be brought up between OBE and drug induced OBE witch i believe there has been studies. So when you talk about something like dimethyltryptamine or dmt, this is found to exist in the human pineal gland. The theory is that this chemical can produce out of body experience and might also be active when someone is in a lucid dream state, where people have described OBE like feelings.
MITech

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 06:57 pm
@Joe,
Wait are you guy saying that my obe was probably linked somehow to having a lucid dream or is it more so a hallucination. I personally think that it is neither.
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 07:19 pm
@MITech,
Can you describe the experience in greater detail then, what happened, why you think it happened, etc.
Khethil

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 05:13 am
@Holiday20310401,
Is it just me, or does anyone else find humor in the irony of the thread "Out of body experiences" in the "Self Help" forum? :perplexed:
Joe

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 07:01 am
@MITech,
MITech wrote:
Wait are you guy saying that my obe was probably linked somehow to having a lucid dream or is it more so a hallucination. I personally think that it is neither.

all we can do is lead you in directions that might help your understanding. I have no clue what happened to you, so I wouldn't presume to describe it.
0 Replies

MITech

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:29 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find humor in the irony of the thread "Out of body experiences" in the "Self Help" forum? :perplexed:

Isn't talking about this supposed to be on the self help forum anyways.
MITech

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:33 pm
@MITech,
Here I will describe my experience again for those of you who do not understand it.

I woke up early in the morning. Then alll of a sudden I could not control my actions so I literally fell to the floor. Instead of looking upwards because that is what someone would do if they were lying down on the floor. I was looking at a birds eye view of myself.
Joe

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:18 pm
@MITech,
I'm still confused on what your trying to get an opinion on. If you are really concerned I suggest you see Doctor of some sorts.

Also if something like this happens again, it might be helpful to write down exactly what happened down to every detail, including your feelings at the time.
MITech

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:02 pm
@Joe,
I'm just wondering whether or not someone knows what this experience I had is called. And whether or not anyone else has had these. You know whether or not this sort of thing is normal or not. People are saying that this is an out of body experience but what is the technical term for that.
0 Replies

Rose phil

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:16 pm
@MITech,
I haven't had an OBE as far as I'm aware of. But I did have rather a strange experience while on a school trip when I was seven. Long story short I was paddling in the water and having a lovely time when suddenly one of the teachers grabbed my arm and began to pull me along towards the others. She was yelling about how she had been searching for me for an hour. But I hadn't gone anywhere I was right there and I told her so. She called me a liar and said that I was going to be in so much trouble for wandering off like that. To this day, I swear I didn't go anywhere and I felt like we had not long arrived there. I have mentioned this before on other boards and some people have come up with some fun explanations. One of which was an OBE. But I have no way of knowing for sure what it was. It has happened a little on and off through the years but it's just like spacing out for a few minutes. Nothing like the scare I got back then.

I wonder if any of you connect these occurrences with the perennial gland?
0 Replies