Diarrhea

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:13 pm
Oh. Ok, let's define diarrhea:

~ Excessive and frequent evacuation of watery feces, usually indicating gastrointestinal distress or disorder.

~ [L. diarrhoea, Gr. ?, fr. ? to flow through; ? + ? to flow; akin to E. stream. See Stream.] (Med.) A morbidly frequent and profuse discharge of loose or fluid evacuations from the intestines, without tenesmus; a purging or looseness of the bowels; a flux.

I'm pretty sure most people would include the 'watery' bit when defining diarrhea.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:13 pm
Consistency of the matter, not assidousness of it's delivery, is the key.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:18 pm
This is such a fun thread!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:24 pm
so the focus should be on consistency, not frequency?

o.k.

l'k - you know we'll discuss just about anything Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:31 pm
Frequency and solidity is key.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:33 pm
I'd say the primary factor is liquidicity. Can one bout of liquid be considered diarrhea? i think so.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:36 pm
Oh yes, if it is liquid and frequent, you should consult with your doctor. If it is frequent but solid, you are probably okay.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:44 pm
i dread having to use antibiotics, i get cramps and all kinds of other nasty side effects; have tried the acidiph (always eat good yoghurt every day anyway) but has not helped me(maybe it's not the right kind). my problem with antibiotics has been building up over a long period of time - say thirty years or so at least, and every time the doc prescribes it, it gets worse. hbg ... it's the cramps and not being able to sleep properly that really gets me when taking antibiotics - the less the better, that's for sure(the antibiotics, that is). ...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:13 am
This is a very sh!tty thread.

Yo! Lil K! You're the sh!t!

When I read this, I almost sh!t myself.

SH!T! Stop talking about this sh!t.

Bukkake. That is all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:45 am
Plain yogurt is the only kind that is going to have a live culture, hamburger.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:14 am
hamburger is the king of plain yogurt, roger.

let me tell you, you can never find fun yogurt at the home of the hamburgers. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:56 am
I'm not usually a yogurt eater, is Plain always Live?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 01:38 pm
wouldn't eat any other than PLAIN ! we've found a new variety BALKAN style - it's just a touch more acid than the regular plain -, but it is altogether a more flavourful and smooth style. it is NOT fat-free; i don't the the people of the balkans ever ate fat-free yogurt. hbg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 01:44 pm
Yogurt is rather easy and simple to make at home. Ever tried it? Saves a heck of a lot of money too.

All you need is a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp of the milk and a good yogurt culture to get started with.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:05 pm
Homemade Yogurt

3 1/2 Quarts Milk
16 Oz Plain Yogurt

I make this all of the time and it is wonderful. One may add a sweetener
and/or fruit after it comes off the heating pad.

Turn a heating pad to low. Sterilize 4 quart Mason jars along with lids and rims.

Place the milk in a large stainless-steel pot and gently heat to 180 degrees. Any warmer and the yogurt culture will die. Remove from the heat and cool to 115 degrees. Stir in the yogurt starter/milk mixture or the reserved yogurt into the pot. Stir well so that the yogurt is smooth. (*note, I use 16 oz of store-bought plain yogurt and always set aside this amount for my next batch; with the next batch use 3-1/2 quarts milk with the 16 oz of yogurt).

Fill 4 sterilized quart jars and seal with sterilized lids and rims.
Place the jars on the heating pad. Cover with a large towel so
that the jars stay warm. Keep on the heating pad for 8-16 hours (the
longer, the tangier the yogurt). Refrigerate.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:01 pm
What's this about live cultures in yogurt? They are only live in plain? How? Why?

So, why not buy acidoph and difidum bacteria in capsules and take them like medicine?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:33 pm
http://www.aboutyogurt.com/lacYogurt/facts.asp#q9
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:36 pm
what does it all have to do with non-plain yogurt?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:42 pm
If I read that site correctly, some non-plain yogurts have been heat-treated so don't have the 'live and active' culture. So you need to look for the logo on the yogurt.
0 Replies