Diarrhea

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 02:12 pm
Hey, littlek, you are missing one option in your poll, to be put right below More Than Once a Month: "I'm Mexican".
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 02:54 pm
Well I one type of Diarrhea I can hardly think I like is the one you use go-litely with. And it's only when things are all done and your all cleansed out, that it's decent.

I thought the poll might bring forth an annal-retentive personality or two.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:28 pm
About once a month...she charges $100/hr plus I have to buy her the tacos.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:38 pm
Here's a little ditty I heard somewhere:

Diarrhea! Diarrhea!
People think it's funny
cuz it's stinky, brown and runny,
Diarrhea! Diarrhea!
The only time it hurts is when you got the taco squirts, Diarrhea!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:42 pm
why does the taco get a bad rap for Diarrhea??
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:45 pm
Most Mexican and Tex-Mex food does. Ever drink a case of Pabst's Blue Ribbon on top of eleven burritos?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:45 pm
Tacos don't do that to me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:47 pm
Depends on the taco. If I make tacos myself, no problems, but fast food tacos are pretty bad, though not as bad as Taco Hell's famous Gorditas.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:27 pm
Hygiene and the quality of products are the key.
Fast food chains lack, at least, quality. McDonald's burgers made me sick all the time, until I stopped eating them.
I have never ever eaten a so-called taco from Taco Bell. Some nut opened once a franchise of that stuff in Mexico and went bankrupt almost inmediately.

Stomachs do develop a sort of inmune system.
In grade school I used to buy, from the street vendors outside the gate, jicamas, cucumbers, coconuts and green apples with lemon, salt and a lot of chilli pepper. I also bought chicharrón (boiled pig skin) with lots of chilli sauce.
In Jr. High I went for "basket tacos" from the street vendors: cooked chicharrón, potatoes, corn fungus (huitlacoche), refried beans.
At the University, there was the so-called "Salmonella Corridor", full of Mexican delicacies sold in non-hygienic stands outside the campus.
When I lived in Culiacán, a very hot place, I used to have for brunch, at noon, a big plate of octupus, shrimp, cucumber, tomato, onion, catsup and hot sauce. From a street vendor, of course.

So I've had diarreah, worms, amaebiasis and other stuff (not salmonellosis; or at least not yet). But most of the problems were in my younger years.

My intestines, the doctor says, tend to overwork, and my digestive system easily defeats some bacteria that would put an overprotected firstwordler to bed (or elsewhere!).

To any possible traveller weary of Moctezuma's revenge:
It is not the water, it is not the food you get at home or at a restaurant.
It's just that the food offered by the damn street vendors is too much a temptation for the palate!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:48 pm
hehehe, great answers.... Thanks for the info everyone. I was expecting a bit of a bell-curve on the data, but it's all spread out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:01 pm
You might get more of a bell curve if the upper end of the poll had more options? I've worked with a couple of people who have 'issues' more than once a week. <shudder>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:09 pm
mmmmm, good point. I thought that the more than once a month was going to be a less popular choice than it is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
Moctezuma always used to get to me, but slowly, as in a gradual change in bacterial flora throwing my intestines into loop-d-loops. I looked my loveliest though after the gradual ten pound loss... I would return to sanguinity after the plane landed in LA and I got some of our scrungy bacteria back. That was decades ago. Now I would eat yogurt or something...

I've eaten great food off of the "taco wagons" in LA and never gotten sick. Yet.

I have a friend who had been to Mexico many times before and, when there was a possibility of a short romantic holiday with a new love (now her long time husband), she suggested Puerto Vallarta. Yep, he got shigellosis the first day. What a relationship test.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:21 pm
Good story, Osso.

Sh!t, it must be the Spanish influence (and their love for escathology), but I actually like this subject!

Anyways, diarreah is preferable to its opposite.
I behave regularly, as a duck -right after every meal-. I don't understand how people can handle days without going to the john.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:29 pm
ducks are regular? Must be all that fiber.

I agree, more often is better than less often. But, I get tired of it some times. I always thought there was something wrong with me, but the doc housemate tells me my system is within normal activity. So, this thread was to confirm her words - and confirm them it did!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:29 pm
A duck!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:46 am
Lilttle K, you're just full of sh!t.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 06:48 pm
I guess so!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:04 pm
i was thinking about this thread earlier today - wondering if people define diarrhea differently. If I went after every meal, I'd wonder if I had diarrhea - whereas for other people that's normal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:12 pm
Uh, I think of it as a liquefaction zone....
0 Replies