We'll Never Be Happy Consumers Again -- No Stimulus Package Can Bring That Back

Fido

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:25 am
@Theaetetus,
thanks..........I remember Gene Pitney out of my distant past; but why???
Elmud

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:20 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
thanks..........I remember Gene Pitney out of my distant past; but why???

Pretty good singer back in the fifties and sixties. Had a few hits. not many. Town without pity was one.
Fido

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:36 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Pretty good singer back in the fifties and sixties. Had a few hits. not many. Town without pity was one.

Hey;...I was born in the fifties...No; wait....I was born in a hospital.... I was raised in the fifties...We... Had hoola hoops... They would have been great if everyone did them naked...Fantasitic if only pretty girls did... We... Had radios too... Not much on them worth listening too... A whole lot more talent today and a lot less market per....
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:09 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I don't understand why growth in consumption is considered a good thing or even a desirable thing. Unless, consumers start buying things that are intended to last lifetimes, or at least efficient to recycle with very little waste, there is no way that growth in consumption can be sustainable, much less good.

Consumption can be linked to quality of life, and, as I noted, an increase in the consumption of final goods need not be linked to an increase in consumption of natural resources. Constant growth can be supported by education, creativity, and technology.
Elmud

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:28 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Hey;...I was born in the fifties...No; wait....I was born in a hospital.... I was raised in the fifties...We... Had hoola hoops... They would have been great if everyone did them naked...Fantasitic if only pretty girls did... We... Had radios too... Not much on them worth listening too... A whole lot more talent today and a lot less market per....

Its refreshing to see someone break away temporarily from the intellectual side of things and throw a little humor in there. Thanks Mr. Fidoski.
xris

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:55 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Consumption can be linked to quality of life, and, as I noted, an increase in the consumption of final goods need not be linked to an increase in consumption of natural resources. Constant growth can be supported by education, creativity, and technology.
You wont stop hammering us with this constant demand for more is good thing..How can you associate consumption with quality of life are you in marketing? How long do you think the worlds gas supplies are going to last or how long do you think oil will be flowing? 15 years for gas is the estimate and 30 years for oil..WOT in hell are we going to do then with this great thing growth then???
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:17 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
You wont stop hammering us with this constant demand for more is good thing..How can you associate consumption with quality of life are you in marketing? How long do you think the worlds gas supplies are going to last or how long do you think oil will be flowing? 15 years for gas is the estimate and 30 years for oil..WOT in hell are we going to do then with this great thing growth then???

I said growth in consumption can be linked to improved quality of life.

Unlike you, I am not convinced that growth can be judged absolutely.

Is growth in the consumption of nonrenewable energy use beneficial? No.

Is growth in the consumption of basic health care beneficial? Yes.

Ultimately, people who wish to provide absolute judgment on when and how we should grow or shrink in consumption is more dangerous than unrestrained (by law) growth.
xris

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:03 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
I said growth in consumption can be linked to improved quality of life.

Unlike you, I am not convinced that growth can be judged absolutely.

Is growth in the consumption of nonrenewable energy use beneficial? No.

Is growth in the consumption of basic health care beneficial? Yes.

Ultimately, people who wish to provide absolute judgment on when and how we should grow or shrink in consumption is more dangerous than unrestrained (by law) growth.
It is not what you where advocating, you where relating growth with benefits . Share out what we have might be better solution.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:04 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Its refreshing to see someone break away temporarily from the intellectual side of things and throw a little humor in there. Thanks Mr. Fidoski.

Except when it is way off-topic and pretty much incoherent drivel within my threads. Not to mention, it is possible to be intellectual and still be humorous.
0 Replies