Evil Is Good And God Doesn't Exist???

infinidream

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 06:45 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
should we follow his teachings or his actions? If it's the latter, would anyone mind if I run into a church where people are doing business and start beating those people up?

I'm not sure I follow. Which actions of Jesus would teach you to to give someone a beating for doing business in church? Or are you just talking about venting your frustrations upon those who don't do as Jesus would do?
boagie

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 06:54 pm
@Solace,
:)Thoreau read very morning the Vedanta philosophy in the form of the Hindu Upanishads, that is quite an influence.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:28 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
I'm not convinced of that, if you consider the cases of the American colonies in 1775, Poland / Czecheslovakia in 1938-1939, Belgium and France in 1940, all the victims of the Napoleonic wars save Russia and Britain, Kuwait in 1990, etc. It's due largely to British incompetence and moronic strategy that they could not wipe out the Revolutionary army -- and the tenacity of Washington and von Steuben that they were able to string their ragtag army together.

I'm not sure the American example works, here. The British Empire, boasting the most powerful military in the world, was constantly engaged in war. Many of their conflicts involved popular rebellion, like the American struggle, but the British were also plaque by almost constant war with major world powers. More evidence for my claim than against.

In 1940, France was considered a significant military force in the world - at least to my recollection. Wasn't it a surprise to (damn near) everyone when the Germans rolled over the French fortifications and over ran the nation so quickly? We knew the German war machine to be capable, as the Germans had already powered through Poland. But everything I've read suggests that France was thought to be a world class military power, and would at least fare better than Poland.

And one last quibble - wasn't Austria a major military power throughout the Napoleonic Wars? And, even if to a slightly lesser extent, Prussia? Or was Prussian too politically fragmented?

Poland, Czecheslovakia, Kuwait - these I admit are clear counter examples to my claim. And there are, as you say, many more examples against my claim. So, I'm curious - what wisdom do you see in the following line of thought?

Just as a bully cannot avoid a fight, and as the bully will at some point meet his match, so to will nations fare which give significant investment into agressive military spending.

So, basically, the US is looking for a bloody nose (or another one, however you look at things), and the Swiss understand the way to properly spend money on military concerns.

Quote:
I'm not sure how they did it, but our government seems to have found a way to keep us just passive enough that we complain plenty but are too lazy to do anything more than that about it. Maybe they put something in the water? j/k.

It's all the pot. Where do you think marijuana in America comes from? The cheap stuff is shipped in through Mexico, and the good stuff is either grown in California or Canada. Well, and a few other choice locations in the states, but no sense giving the nosy government any more free advice.

Quote:
Thoreau read very morning the Vedanta philosophy in the form of the Hindu Upanishads, that is quite an influence.

Yep, Hindu texts were also influential. Upanishads have inspired many great western thinkers - Schopenhauer used the Upanishads as his daily devotional.
Aedes

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:24 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Many of their conflicts involved popular rebellion, like the American struggle, but the British were also plaque by almost constant war with major world powers.
The history of the conflict itself shows otherwise, though. There was a long and bitter debate in Britain about whether or not it was worth it, and the most persuasive attitude was that the American colonies were a bunch of crude unarmed cretons who couldn't possibly stand up to the Imperial might. And Britain had this attitude pervasivaly throughout the war, which led them to conduct vainglorious and stupid campaigns all the way from Boston through Yorktown.

Quote:
In 1940, France was considered a significant military force in the world - at least to my recollection. Wasn't it a surprise to (damn near) everyone when the Germans rolled over the French fortifications and over ran the nation so quickly?
Only because the Germans knew what the rest of the world didn't, that France was undermilitarized, had nonsensically dispositioned their troops leaving the Belgian border undefended, and used static strongpoints along the Maginot line that were utterly obsolete in the face of the mechanized warfare that Germany had developed. (ironically Germany tried the same thing with abysmal results along the Atlantic wall). France's military preparation was a complete ruse, and Germany, the only aggressor that matters for this discussion knew it. Hitler's whole calculus was based on ultimately fighting a one front war in the Soviet Union, and he knew that France would easily capitulate -- and he was correct.

Quote:
And one last quibble - wasn't Austria a major military power throughout the Napoleonic Wars? And, even if to a slightly lesser extent, Prussia? Or was Prussian too politically fragmented?
Yes, you're correct.

Quote:
Poland, Czecheslovakia, Kuwait - these I admit are clear counter examples to my claim. And there are, as you say, many more examples against my claim.
There are examples on both sides. My only point is it's hard to generalize. But what SHOULD be instructive is the example of the Cold War. The US and USSR would not let themselves engage one another militarily. So they took on Korea, and Vietnam, and funded / armed all kinds of puppet states in Africa and Latin America, and the USSR took on all the WWII-ravaged eastern block countries and all the central Asian states, and invaded Afghanistan, etc. The Cold War was essentially characterized by superpowers waging war in puny states to avoid taking one another on.

Quote:
Just as a bully cannot avoid a fight, and as the bully will at some point meet his match, so too will nations fare which give significant investment into aggressive military spending.
I just don't think this is an argument that can be made from first principle. I mean all we can really do is look back probably no further than WWI or maybe the Spanish-American and Russo-Japanese wars, i.e. just ~110 years ago, if we want to draw principles out of the historical record. Before that tactics, strategy, military funding, etc were so completely different. And since then we have a whole new scale of warfare, the concept of total war with general mobilization, and we have the capacity to reach any point in the globe. It's just too little history for us to say what happens with nations that invest in military spending -- and too little specificity to know what's meant by "aggressive".

Quote:
So, basically, the US is looking for a bloody nose (or another one, however you look at things)
Don't blame the US as a whole. Bush has changed the whole landscape. I've got no problem with our military striving to be technologically advanced and efficient if that will 1) protect our own troops and 2) make strategic warfare much less disastrous.

On the other hand, this unchecked excess is putting us at most risk simply by destabilizing our economy and forcing us to compromise other things. This 10% cut in Medicare payouts that went through Congress yesterday is going to be devastating. Doctors offices already lose money or barely break even on Medicare patients -- and with this cut, most doctors offices are going to stop seeing Medicare patients altogether because they won't be able to afford to see them. And what makes matters worse is that private insurance companies often link their payouts to Medicare rates, so this is going to truly crush the medical system, especially in primary care and in hospitals. And where do you think this savings is going to go?

Quote:
and the Swiss understand the way to properly spend money on military concerns.
Honestly, policy-wise they're like buzzards and rats coated in cheese and chocolate. Their sanctimonious policies have protected them from war, but believe me they've LOVED having war waged around them on all sides since time immemorial.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:03 am
@infinidream,
infinidream wrote:
I'm not sure I follow. Which actions of Jesus would teach you to to give someone a beating for doing business in church? Or are you just talking about venting your frustrations upon those who don't do as Jesus would do?

As DT pointed out, I exaggerated the story of Jesus going into the temple and driving out the people who were buying and selling there. But my point was two-fold, both that business still goes on in churches and, if someone is trying to be like Christ, shouldn't they do something about it?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 01:23 pm
@Solace,
Quote:
The history of the conflict itself shows otherwise, though. There was a long and bitter debate in Britain about whether or not it was worth it, and the most persuasive attitude was that the American colonies were a bunch of crude unarmed cretons who couldn't possibly stand up to the Imperial might. And Britain had this attitude pervasivaly throughout the war, which led them to conduct vainglorious and stupid campaigns all the way from Boston through Yorktown.

How does any of this contradict the following?
'Many of their conflicts involved popular rebellion, like the American struggle, but the British were also plaque by almost constant war with major world powers.'

I'm not trying to debate that the British made many mistakes in handling the war. The point is that the British Empire, the most powerful military force in the world (of that time) was beset by almost constant warfare, whether the conflict was with another major power or in their many colonies.

Having a military capable of waging an effective aggressive war seems to increase the chances that that nation will wage an aggressive war.

Quote:
Only because the Germans knew what the rest of the world didn't, that France was undermilitarized, had nonsensically dispositioned their troops leaving the Belgian border undefended, and used static strongpoints along the Maginot line that were utterly obsolete in the face of the mechanized warfare that Germany had developed. (ironically Germany tried the same thing with abysmal results along the Atlantic wall). France's military preparation was a complete ruse, and Germany, the only aggressor that matters for this discussion knew it. Hitler's whole calculus was based on ultimately fighting a one front war in the Soviet Union, and he knew that France would easily capitulate -- and he was correct.

Fair enough.

Quote:
There are examples on both sides. My only point is it's hard to generalize.

Yeah, and my initial claim is a generalization. One that can't really be defended.

Quote:
But what SHOULD be instructive is the example of the Cold War. The US and USSR would not let themselves engage one another militarily. So they took on Korea, and Vietnam, and funded / armed all kinds of puppet states in Africa and Latin America, and the USSR took on all the WWII-ravaged eastern block countries and all the central Asian states, and invaded Afghanistan, etc. The Cold War was essentially characterized by superpowers waging war in puny states to avoid taking one another on.

And what lessons do you pull out of this conflict with respect to military build up?

Quote:
I just don't think this is an argument that can be made from first principle. I mean all we can really do is look back probably no further than WWI or maybe the Spanish-American and Russo-Japanese wars, i.e. just ~110 years ago, if we want to draw principles out of the historical record. Before that tactics, strategy, military funding, etc were so completely different. And since then we have a whole new scale of warfare, the concept of total war with general mobilization, and we have the capacity to reach any point in the globe. It's just too little history for us to say what happens with nations that invest in military spending -- and too little specificity to know what's meant by "aggressive".

I don't see why we cannot look further than the Spanish-American war for these principles. I understand that warfare has undergone significant changes, but the waging of wars has always changed. Wasn't total war an 'innovation' of the American Civil War? The British were capable of reaching any point in the globe with significant military force before 1800.

By aggressive I mean investing in military designed for something other than defense. Establishing national militia installations across the nation with arms for the general public in the event of invasion is defensive - an aircraft carrier or a battleship is an aggressive tool.

Quote:
Don't blame the US as a whole. Bush has changed the whole landscape. I've got no problem with our military striving to be technologically advanced and efficient if that will 1) protect our own troops and 2) make strategic warfare much less disastrous.

Eisenhower warned us in the 50's - he warned that the military industrial complex would become powerful enough to insight wars for the sake of a marketplace for their goods.

My history gets shaky sometimes (as you can tell), but I'm having a hard time thinking of an American President after WW2 who did not push to expand the military.

Maybe it's worth noting that I'm a pacifist who advocates the total disarmament of all nations - I'm biased on this issue.

Quote:
On the other hand, this unchecked excess is putting us at most risk simply by destabilizing our economy and forcing us to compromise other things. This 10% cut in Medicare payouts that went through Congress yesterday is going to be devastating. Doctors offices already lose money or barely break even on Medicare patients -- and with this cut, most doctors offices are going to stop seeing Medicare patients altogether because they won't be able to afford to see them. And what makes matters worse is that private insurance companies often link their payouts to Medicare rates, so this is going to truly crush the medical system, especially in primary care and in hospitals. And where do you think this savings is going to go?

Military spending I would imagine. As an aside, I didn't realize the changes in Medicare would be so devastating. I knew it couldn't be good, but... well, this is terribly sad to hear.

Quote:
Honestly, policy-wise they're like buzzards and rats coated in cheese and chocolate. Their sanctimonious policies have protected them from war, but believe me they've LOVED having war waged around them on all sides since time immemorial.

Well sure. The Swiss make a lot of money when other nations wage war.

But the modern Swiss state, to my knowledge, has kept a purely defensive military. But as you know, I don't know a whole lot.
Aedes

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 02:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
How does any of this contradict the following?
'Many of their conflicts involved popular rebellion, like the American struggle, but the British were also plaque by almost constant war with major world powers.'
It doesn't, but you neglect the real historical phenomenon of the deterrent effect of strong adversaries -- and the British militarism was emboldened by the idea that they could run ragged over anyone. Breed's/Bunker Hill and the Battle of Trenton were immense shocks to Britain.

Quote:
Yeah, and my initial claim is a generalization. One that can't really be defended.
When you're dealing with the historical record, it's difficult to generalize because the conditions change so much from event to event.

Quote:
And what lessons do you pull out of this conflict with respect to military build up?
Only that the US and USSR were very scared of one another, such that they were willing to play cat and mouse but never take one another on. There was a REAL deterrent effect -- one that should have been realized in 1914 but Europe hadn't really come to understand modern warfare yet.

Quote:
Wasn't total war an 'innovation' of the American Civil War?
Not until 1864, and it's besides the point because both sides were relatively under-armed at the beginning of the conflict, so it's hard to argue that armament is what potentiated the conflict.

Quote:
The British were capable of reaching any point in the globe with significant military force before 1800.
Yes, and take on comparatively unarmed tribesmen in most cases. Point is that it's the discrepancy in armament that potentiated the aggression.

Quote:
Maybe it's worth noting that I'm a pacifist who advocates the total disarmament of all nations
That's fine, and it's fine to be for world peace and harmony and lions lying down with lambs, and I don't disagree with your viewpoint. But honestly it's hard to talk about total disarmament as a realistic goal -- it's an ideal that you know as well as I will NEVER happen -- so what do we do in the meantime?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
@Aedes,
Quote:
It doesn't, but you neglect the real historical phenomenon of the deterrent effect of strong adversaries -- and the British militarism was emboldened by the idea that they could run ragged over anyone. Breed's/Bunker Hill and the Battle of Trenton were immense shocks to Britain.

Strong adversaries would be cautious to engage one another. But how does this apply to the British example? The British, as you say, were emboldened by their military prowess. They assumed their military might to be supreme, and so they not only had little problem going to war, but also were ill-prepared for war against enemies perceived as weak.

The Americans were, militarily, weak. The British underestimated the Americans and lost.

Quote:
Only that the US and USSR were very scared of one another, such that they were willing to play cat and mouse but never take one another on. There was a REAL deterrent effect -- one that should have been realized in 1914 but Europe hadn't really come to understand modern warfare yet.

Right, and so they avoided direct military conflict with one another, and instead fought several conflicts elsewhere in the globe. Not only did the USSR and US fight wars, but other nations fought, often against the will of the local populations, wars because the two big players would not fight each other.

Quote:
Yes, and take on comparatively unarmed tribesmen in most cases. Point is that it's the discrepancy in armament that potentiated the aggression.

Right - the British had a massive military capable of world wide aggression and used this force against other nations. If the British did not have such a force of arms, they could not have been so aggressive.

Quote:
That's fine, and it's fine to be for world peace and harmony and lions lying down with lambs, and I don't disagree with your viewpoint. But honestly it's hard to talk about total disarmament as a realistic goal -- it's an ideal that you know as well as I will NEVER happen -- so what do we do in the meantime?

Tibet demilitarized at the height of their military power and maintained sovereignty for hundreds of years. During the Cold War, as Communist China began to assert it's power, Tibet was invaded and conquered.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 03:40 pm
@Solace,
Thomas, you may not realize it but you've swung your argument around 180 degrees here. You've been arguing for the past couple posts that a highly militarized state is likely to be aggressive.

What I've been responding to is the following quote of yours:

Quote:
I'm increasingly convinced that having a (significant) military only increases the danger of being the victim of aggression.

I've provided examples of how the victims of aggression are disproportionately the weak, undermilitarized states.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 03:54 pm
@Aedes,
Haven't I already admitted the error of that statement?
Aedes

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 04:06 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didn't notice -- that's all I've been responding to. I agree with you that armed states are more likely to be aggressors.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 04:16 pm
@Aedes,
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been.
0 Replies

OntheWindowStand

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 09:29 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
That's so flawed. Funny. :rolleyes:
Thats's like saying girls = time and money. Time = money therefore girls = money squared. And money = the root of all evil. Girls = evil. It is wrong because of wrong assumptions. It was wrong to assume that girls only = time and money. Try putting it into your equation.
Evil is a necessary component of good but not the only one. In order to figure out a variable in an equation, one must know them all (that exist in the equation of course)Surprised
Sidenote: Girls are not evil.

I think Girls are only time and money and are evil
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:36 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Quote:
I think Girls are only time and money and are evil

Nah - Women are the catalysts that allow men to grow. In times of ease and comfort we are stagnant - adversity and complication force us to react, change and grow.
boagie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 06:37 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Hi Y'all!!Smile

Nah, they are evil alright, you can tell by the small beady eyes, and the way they shift around whenever they might have to take responsiablity for something. Pretty soon they are going to want to vote, and move all the furniture in the house around until the male is utterly uncomfortable in his own home--------------Hillary and the new world order!! Your better half! Don't you believe it, they are evil temptresses!! Look to the good book, they should be seen and not heard. Theirs is a natural secondary position in relation to man himself. As Didymos Thomas above indicates, they detest peace and harmony, they are what grit is to the oyster, irritation!! They sure are soft though, and smell pretty good too, I've got one myself, your only allowed one at a time in this country. I hope this is of some aid in understanding the full complexity of the situtation, glad to be of help!!Wink

Q-How do you know when you are in a feminist book shop?

A- There is no humor section:lol:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 07:40 am
@boagie,
I'm not being pessimistic about women - I prefer the feminist interpretation of Pandora to Hesiod's misogynistic take.

We men seem to have a similar role in the lives of women (catalysts for growth). Except that we are more pathetic than they are.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 04:52 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Should I be listening to you guys, seriously. I meant the analogy as a joke, not a subject starter.Laughing
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:42 pm
@Holiday20310401,
My statements carried the joke - but, yeah, I was pretty serious.

I'm not saying a man cannot grow without a woman or that woman cannot without a man - it's that the sort of close relationship men and women often have, and the complications involved - after all, love is a seriously silly emotion, not easy to control - are universally recognized as being big time character builders.

Most of us can, or eventually will, be able to relate to the joys and difficulties of relationships involving something akin to romantic love. These experiences leave immense marks on who we are, and the way we view ourselves.

Beatrice and Dante - what the world would have lost had Dante never fallen so deeply and honestly in love with her. He makes her divine in his Divine Comedy. Up there with God; you might say a representation of Sophia, even. And in the process gifts the world with one of the greatest allegory and epic poem ever written down.
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:52 am
@Aedes,
Hope nobody minds if I respond to the original question.

Is language good or bad or evil or belonging to a different category or not at all?

If language were entirely good, interpretations should not be cause of arguments. Neither could a good language allow the user to engage with bad or evil concepts; the engaging with evil constitutes an evil act, or does it not? It seemed to me that one battles evil with good, so one does not ever make contact with evil - of course if language allows one to investigate evil symbolism then does evil language constitute contact with evil? I think not, there is no contact between an individual and language - language is entirely metaphysical. So language could be construed as a good tool. However, in being an entirely metaphysical collection of concepts surely language is a form of deception - the replication of reality with words is deception, deceiving the audience by presenting a symbol relevant somehow to reality. Is deception evil? I'm pretty sure that religious theories would have one believe that deception or lies are evil tools - so language must be evil.

So, even if language were entirely evil, a fundamental nature of evil, it is possible to manifest the word 'good' with language - hence 'good' requires evil and belongs to evil.

But this is just language, the truth - the definition of 'good' - is ineffable, so in reality the 'good' in existence belongs as a free notion capable of being and being recognized.
one-philosophy

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:55 am
@boagie,
I heard ona a movie (southpark believe it or not)
without goog there can be no evil so it must be good to be evil some time.

What about Aquinases theory that their is no evil, but rather what we consider to be evil is just falling short of what is good?

Aquinas had a theory called natural law and I think involved with it is that everyone does things because it seems good to them. Eg, Hitler only killed many innocent people as he thought it was good to kill off the disabled and homosexuals to benefit the human race.
This principle implies that people who do bad things only do them because they are apparent goods (because they appear good to the one who does it) althought they do not comply with the true nature of good so they fall short.
According to Aquinas, everyone was good and noone was totally evil.
If there was a scale of Good from 1-10, Jesus might be 10, Iraneus (a saint) might be 9, Hitler perhaps 3, and the devil 1. Noone would be completely evil as it does not exist.
0 Replies