Evil Is Good And God Doesn't Exist???

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:17 am
If God Exists, then Evil and Good exist and Evil is not Good (According to Christian bible)

Good is Good.

All the necessary components of good are good.

Evil is a necessary component of good.
---if there were no evil, the concept 'good' would have no meaning. such a word wouln't even exist.

Therefore

Evil is Good

God does not exist
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,831 • Replies: 107
No top replies

boagie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:36 am
@infinidream,
infinidream wrote:
If God Exists, then Evil and Good exist and Evil is not Good Good is Good. All the necessary components of good are good.

---if there were no evil, the concept 'good' would have no meaning. such a word wouln't even exist. Therefore Evil is Good God does not exist

infinidream,Smile

:)The semantics of duality. I think you need to determine what constitutes good and what constitutes evil, I think you will find, the source of those definations do not belong wholly to the mutually dependent terms, there is yet another source, and it is not god.Wink

Smile"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." -Thomas Jefferson
Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:58 am
@infinidream,
infinidream wrote:
If God Exists, then Evil and Good exist and Evil is not Good

Good is Good.

All the necessary components of good are good.

---if there were no evil, the concept 'good' would have no meaning. such a word wouln't even exist.

Therefore

Evil is Good

God does not exist

That's so flawed. Funny. :rolleyes:
Thats's like saying girls = time and money. Time = money therefore girls = money squared. And money = the root of all evil. Girls = evil. It is wrong because of wrong assumptions. It was wrong to assume that girls only = time and money. Try putting it into your equation.
Evil is a necessary component of good but not the only one. In order to figure out a variable in an equation, one must know them all (that exist in the equation of course)Surprised
Sidenote: Girls are not evil.
Ramsey phil

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 12:54 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I don't think that for Good and Evil to exist we need God.

Good and Evil can exist outside of God. It's only a term used to describe a moral standpoint.

If I have a Good Pen, does this make it divine, because God exists for good to exist? Therefore if a pen can be divine then why can't I? I in my own mind am a Good person, would this therefore make me divine?

Your making some huge logical jumps here. I would rather call evil a necessary opposite to good then a component. But then again, I would go further and say there is no such thing as a universal good or evil. Good and evil reside within the soul.

They are not divine concepts of God, but rather innate responses to moral situations.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:46 pm
@Ramsey phil,
Quote:
The semantics of duality. I think you need to determine what constitutes good and what constitutes evil, I think you will find, the source of those definations do not belong wholly to the mutually dependent terms, there is yet another source, and it is not god.

Really, good and evil are not mutually dependent terms? Enlighten us then, Boagie.

What is the source of 'Good' (good which is not understood by evil)?

Quote:
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." -Thomas Jefferson

From the man who compiled his own Bible. Jefferson was critical of organized religion, not of man's spiritual nature. Wink

As for God and good and evil, this all depends on how we decide to define God.

To infinidream's initial post - I would suggest recalling your Bible stories. Adam and Eve were thrown from the garden after eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. The duality was their mistake.
Ramsey phil

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:53 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
But then again that's something right there.

Adam and Eve lives in the perfect Garden of Eden, to some scholars they were created perfect. Thus would perfect beings, not be perfectly good, as well as perfectly evil? I think I'm right in saying I'm taking a page from St. Augustine, but if they were created perfect, would they have even know what good and evil were, or even right or wrong was. If they were both perfectly good, and perfectly evil then, would both concepts even exist in their thought?

So is it possible the God even contradicted itself at this point?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:02 pm
@Ramsey phil,
If we take Adam and Eve to be perfect beings, then yes you are absolutely right.

The basic point I was trying to make is something I think boagie was hinting at - the flaw of dualistic thinking.

As for the story in question, I do not see how perfect beings could be tempted by the serpent into disobeying God's will. Such actions do not strike me as the actions of perfect beings. Of course, this might just be a highlight of my ignorance of St. Augustine, but I was under the impression that according to his tradition only God was perfect (and therefore Jesus was the only perfect human as Jesus is God).
boagie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:22 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Originally Posted by Didymos Thomas http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Really, good and evil are not mutually dependent terms? Enlighten us then, Boagie.

What is the source of 'Good' (good which is not understood by evil)?

Thomas, Smile

You need to read more carefully, not wholly, was the operative term.

Smile"I think you will find, the source of those definations do not belong wholly to the mutually dependent terms," boagie quote

To infinidream's initial post - I would suggest recalling your Bible stories. Adam and Eve were thrown from the garden after eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. The duality was their mistake.

:)So what's your point Thomas, surely your not saying this silly bible story is where good and evil come from. Good and evil/ good and bad, are biological determined, biological evaluations. If all meaning is subjective, and only bestowed upon the physical world, how could it be anything else.

Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." -Thomas Jefferson
Aristoddler

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:09 pm
@boagie,
Good is a concept, not a physical thing, therefore it cannot "exist" per say.
The same can be said of love, hate, anger, emotions, intelligence, and zeros.
boagie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:21 pm
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
Good is a concept, not a physical thing, therefore it cannot "exist" per say.
The same can be said of love, hate, anger, emotions, intelligence, and zeros.

Aristoddler,Smile

:)Good can exist, as much as any other aspect of apparent reality, it is apparently good. Good is the evaluation of the relation between subject and object, it is as close to pure truth as one can come, it is first sensation, and then through the process of the understaning it is the judgement of good---it is good, relative to your own biology. An object, what you consider a physically hard object, it is only physcially hard relative to your own penetrability, your own density, so it is not different in its nature from the sensation of hot, relative to you.

Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." -Thomas Jefferson
Aedes

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:31 pm
@infinidream,
infinidream wrote:
If God Exists, then Evil and Good exist and Evil is not Good
Why must evil and good exist just because God does (in this proposition)? Even if there is a god who cares about good and evil, that makes them judgements, not existing things.

Quote:
Evil is a necessary component of good. ---if there were no evil, the concept 'good' would have no meaning. such a word wouln't even exist.
That's oft cited nonsense. If you live your childhood loved, nurtured, cared for, you would know good even if you'd never witnessed abuse and murder and suffering. You don't need to live through a death camp to know love.

Quote:
Therefore

Evil is Good

God does not exist
Your argument doesn't prove synonymity and your premise doesn't necessitate the existence or nonexistence of God.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:47 pm
@Aedes,
Quote:
You need to read more carefully, not wholly, was the operative term.

Right, and yet I was under the impression that good and evil are defined in terms of one another, and not in some other manner.

Quote:
So what's your point Thomas, surely your not saying this silly bible story is where good and evil come from. Good and evil/ good and bad, are biological determined, biological evaluations. If all meaning is subjective, and only bestowed upon the physical world, how could it be anything else.

First, only your bias against anything religious condones calling Genesis silly. Second, I never claimed the story was the source of good and evil as the concepts certainly predate these Jewish stories. The story is about, among other things, good and evil and the mistake of duality.

I gave my point clearly, Boagie - dualistic thinking is flawed. If you disagree, that's fine. In such an event you could certainly expect me to provide some further support.

As for good and evil being biologically determined, care to elaborate? You talk about subjectivity and the physical world, but meaning is not limited to the physical world. People 'bestow' meaning on all sorts of things, physical and otherwise. Even then, the physical world is not limited to biology.

Quote:
That's nonsense. If you live your childhood loved, nurtured, cared for, you would know good even if you'd never witnessed abuse and murder and suffering.

You would have experienced what we call good (a good childhood). But this child of a good upbringing would not understand his childhood to be good without some understanding that other people have worse childhoods.

One implies two, good implies evil.
boagie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:23 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Right, and yet I was under the impression that good and evil are defined in terms of one another, and not in some other manner." quote

:)Are you saying that if you left good and evil in a room alone they would workout what they meant to each other---I really thought not. Meaning is biological determined, it is the subject that holds meaning, not the object.

"As for good and evil being biologically determined, care to elaborate? You talk about subjectivity and the physical world, but meaning is not limited to the physical world. People 'bestow' meaning on all sorts of things, physical and otherwise. Even then, the physical world is not limited to biology. " quote

:)Yes, meaning is limited to a subject/consciousness, or ones biology, reality is that which is experienced as the relation between subject and object. The physical world is deviod of all meaning, it only acquires meaning in its relation to a subject/biology. As Schopenhauer put it, "Subject and object, stand or fall together." The physical world is limited, it is limited to biology for any meaning whatsoever.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 06:55 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
Are you saying that if you left good and evil in a room alone they would workout what they meant to each other---I really thought not. Meaning is biological determined, it is the subject that holds meaning, not the object.

Personifying good and evil only increases the problem. Doing so sets them as two separate 'things', when they are inextricably tied together (as far as I can tell).

But, hey, if you like the personification thing, I can run with it. I would say that they are conjoined twins, and that to separate them would be the death of them. They need not fight, as they depend upon one another.

If I say of an object that said object is evil, I have implied that some other object must be good. Though, even this is misleading as I do not see how anything can be necessarily good or evil - only relatively good or relatively evil under some certain set of circumstances.

Quote:
Yes, meaning is limited to a subject/consciousness, or ones biology, reality is that which is experienced as the relation between subject and object. The physical world is deviod of all meaning, it only acquires meaning in its relation to a subject/biology. As Schopenhauer put it, "Subject and object, stand or fall together." The physical world is limited, it is limited to biology for any meaning whatsoever.

I can buy this. The only thing is that your position here implies my position on good and evil - we apply meaning to the world, and to have a meaning 'good' to apply to something requires that we have a meaning 'evil' to also apply to something.

Again, one implies two, good implies evil.
boagie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 07:30 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
:)Yes, Thomas, but, they do not do it on their own. I really do not think we are in disagreement here, yes, we have two mutually dependent terms, but, both terms are of course depend upon a subject. The said evaluation of good or evil is biologically determined as the relation of subject to object, it is a judgement, a relational statement, thus, relative to my understanding, relative to me, this is evil.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:07 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
Yes, Thomas, but, they do not do it on their own. I really do not think we are in disagreement here, yes, we have two mutually dependent terms, but, both terms are of course depend upon a subject. The said evaluation of good or evil is biologically determined as the relation of subject to object, it is a judgement, a relational statement, thus, relative to me, this is evil.

Yeah, we have to apply the terms for the terms to exist. How does this not make their meanings entirely mutually dependent?
Aedes

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:20 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
we apply meaning to the world, and to have a meaning 'good' to apply to something requires that we have a meaning 'evil' to also apply to something.
I just can't see any logic in this argument. Good and evil are not opposites on the same spectrum. They are entirely independent ideas, they are defined separately, they are conceived separately, and they are experienced separately.

For something to be "less evil" does NOT mean that it's "more good." For instance, fewer people died in the Rwandan genocide than died in the Holocaust. That doesn't make the Rwandan genocide better than the Holocaust! That would be absurd. Neither was good, both were evil, one was worse.

Similarly, if I save a person from a burning car, that's not more evil than saving 2 people from a burning car. It's just less good.

The opposite of good is neutrality. The opposite of evil is neutrality.
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 10:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yeah, we have to apply the terms for the terms to exist. How does this not make their meanings entirely mutually dependent?

Thomas:)

:)Thomas, the terms have meaning, all meaning is the property of a subject, it is the subject that gives the terms their meaning. The protest that they are not mutually dependent, as the latest post by Aedes indicates, is unfounded, one would not know what is good, if one did not know what was bad. The important thing to remember is that it is the subject doing all the work. Apparent reality is a biological readout, good and evil is a biological readout. There is only good and bad -------evil has Christian conotations, not really appropriate to reality.
Aedes

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 10:20 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
The protest that they are not mutually dependent, as the latest post by Aedes indicates, is unfounded, one would not know what is good, if one did not know what was bad.
This rationalization you (and others, including Thomas) make here is unfounded because there is no absolute standard for good, for bad, or for evil. There is cultural convention and personal convention, but they are all relativistic judgements. So even if I were to stipulate that one MUST know 'bad' to understand 'good', it would be meaningless -- because an individual in seeing something he held as good would judge it against his own conception of 'bad' -- not some ACTUAL bad standard.

While I do agree with you that good and bad are a better conceptual dichotomy than good vs evil, I still cannot agree that they can only be understood in relation to one another. Our default judgement for ANY situation is neutral. Why? Because I don't assign some adjective or quality to a situation unless I see it. So if I watch a baseball game, I don't qualify any aspect of it as "evil" because it's just not a quality that is relevant to the situation. It's neutral. The extremes of judgement (i.e. superlatively good, superlatively evil, superlatively bad) are counterposed to the default neutral judgement.

And because it's abundantly clear that we make snap visceral judgements about things and then back-rationalize them, I think it's fair to generalize that GOOD and EVIL and BAD are emotionally-derived judgements that consist in what is witnessed and in one's application of the idea -- they do NOT incorporate the contraposition of an opposing idea.
iconoclast

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 11:37 pm
@Aedes,
infinidream,

'evil is necessary to good and thereofre evil is good???'

Great question. loti. Of course, good and evil are superlative conceptual opposites - a dichotomy forged by religious ideation in view of an absolute God. Such ideas are not really useful to an informed ethical/moral outlook, but so imbedded in the language it's difficult to see beyond them.

Nietzsche gave it a go in - 'Beyond Good and Evil' but arrived at the conclusion that ethics and morality are a herd mentality propogated by the weak to subdue the strong. I believe there was some such transvaluation of values in the transition from hunter-gatherer to social life - and that this is the source of this superlative dichotomy, where evil was defined as 'that which is against society' - and good as it's opposite.

Thus, the source of the conceptual paradox is in the supression of the individual good for the social good. This tension remains with us, but i think is more correctly addressed by employing the language of justice - brilliantly explicated by Rawls in 'A Theory of Justice.'