Atheists...

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:59 pm
@MITech,
We need faith because we cannot always know everything, and we wish to understand. Now, where the supernatural comes in is when I feel people can get all circular and delusional absolutely. Supernatural is a relative term.
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@MITech,
Bill Maher!

YouTube - Bill Maher on Religion

YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is bullshit.
xris

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:25 am
@boagie,
thanks for some light entertainment for a change..It reminds me of the time in a disused church with a born again christian who had tried converting me...i denied god in a very loud voice..in church..oh my ..he realy thought i was going to be struck by lightning..I was there to buy the timber by the way..
0 Replies

MITech

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@de budding,
Ethical Atheist's Ten Commandments
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:51 am
@SantaMonica1369,
SantaMonica1369 wrote:
Is God dead, or did he never exist?
How does your reasoning for being an athiest go?

SantaMonica,Smile

First I would say, where is the object of your belief, the fact that it cannot be pointed to would lead me then to ask, what are the logical inferences that inform your faith that such an object does indeed exist, seeing as there are no logical, read rational inferences, I am left in disbelief, thus termed atheist.
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 09:04 am
@boagie,
Both George Carlin's arguments and those of Bill Maher are based on logical fallacies.

I apologize to all in this thread for Boagie's senseless pandering to Bill Maher. I have repeatedly pointed out to him the error of his ways in this matter, but he ran away from the argument with his tail between his legs -- because he knows he is wrong and cannot support his position.

Read it here:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/philosophy-religion/2373-religulous-bill-maher-3.html

The arguments against religion used by Maher shows only the most extreme religious fundamentalists. -- I agree that these people are CRAZY. But they do not represent everyone who: has faith in God or follows a religion.

Most religious people are moderates who actually agree that fundamentalists are crazy.

Please excuse Boagie. He is a fundamentalist atheist and has little, if any, actual knowledge about theism and religion.
boagie

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:18 am
@OctoberMist,
Smile
"It seems like your major target in this movie are the religious extremists, those who belong to the fundamentalist camps of various different religions.

[INDENT]That's not really true, that's not really true. I mean, take Sen. Pryor - I don't think he'd consider himself a fundamentalist. I think he's like a majority of Americans. I mean, 60 percent of Americans believe the Noah's ark story to be literally true. To me, that's mainstream. When people say, "You're going after extremists," I say, well, to be religious at all is to be an extremist. It's to be extremely irrational. Not that everybody believes in Noah's ark, or the guy who lived to be 900 years old. But even to believe the central story of Christianity - a lot of people would say, "I'm not like those kooks out in Kansas who believe the Earth is 5,000 years old. But I do believe God has a son, who he sent down to earth on a suicide mission, and he said, 'Hey, Jesus, I'm sending you on this suicide mission, but don't worry, they can't kill you because you're really me.' I, God the father - wink, wink - let's split up the work! OK? Because there's two of us, but not really! I'll go down to Earth first and I'll see if I can't impregnate a Palestinian woman so she can give birth to you." It's just a silly a story. We're just used to it." - Bill Maher[/INDENT]
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:52 pm
@boagie,
Let's cool the derogatory comments, folks.

It's one thing to point out a logical fallacy, and another thing to commit one yourself in the process (namely, ad hominem).
OctoberMist

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@boagie,
To All...

boagie said:

Quote:

"It seems like your major target in this movie are the religious extremists, those who belong to the fundamentalist camps of various different religions.
That's not really true, that's not really true. I mean, take Sen. Pryor - I don't think he'd consider himself a fundamentalist. I think he's like a majority of Americans. I mean, 60 percent of Americans believe the Noah's ark story to be literally true. To me, that's mainstream. When people say, "You're going after extremists," I say, well, to be religious at all is to be an extremist. It's to be extremely irrational. Not that everybody believes in Noah's ark, or the guy who lived to be 900 years old. But even to believe the central story of Christianity - a lot of people would say, "I'm not like those kooks out in Kansas who believe the Earth is 5,000 years old. But I do believe God has a son, who he sent down to earth on a suicide mission, and he said, 'Hey, Jesus, I'm sending you on this suicide mission, but don't worry, they can't kill you because you're really me.' I, God the father - wink, wink - let's split up the work! OK? Because there's two of us, but not really! I'll go down to Earth first and I'll see if I can't impregnate a Palestinian woman so she can give birth to you." It's just a silly a story. We're just used to it." Bill Maher

Once again, rather than responding directly to my argument, this particular user has quoted Bill Maher.

The reason I point this out is not to Ad Hominem this particular user but to point out to all the lack of reasoning and proper response that certain atheists use when challenged on their positions.

They are quite adept at slamming religion and theism, but when their position is challenged, suddenly they find themselves mute. A most peculiar circumstance, indeed.

Is their argument so weak that they are incapable of constucting a direct response to challenges to it? -- You be the judge.

I leave it in your hands.
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas said:

Quote:

Let's cool the derogatory comments, folks.
Fair enough. I will no longer refer to Boagie by name when pointing out the sad rationalizations of certain atheists on this site.

Quote:

It's one thing to point out a logical fallacy, and another thing to commit one yourself in the process (namely, ad hominem).
Ah, so it's ok to use a Hasty Generalization but using an Ad Hominem is not acceptable? Is that your position? -- Just curious.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 07:22 pm
@SantaMonica1369,
He was talking to both of you.

Warning EVERYONE! - This forum is not for the insulting of members. Clean this thread up or it will be closed and there will be no more warnings about this behavior.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 08:22 pm
@boagie,
boagie;33662 wrote:
Smile
I say, well, to be religious at all is to be an extremist. It's to be extremely irrational.

And how does Bill Maher qualify this statement? Is he the judge in determining extremism? Because "to be religious at all" includes about 85% of the people in this world, so it is certainly not extreme nor "extremely irrational" to them, the overwhelming majority.
0 Replies

UnMechanics

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:04 pm
@SantaMonica1369,
I'm an atheist and hate all my friends for being atheists frankly. They take on the form of 'teenage' atheism of elitist, ganging up on religious persons and picking fights whenever they can.

I'm atheist and though i used to be like that, I now can appreciate a lot about religion and understand that it makes no true difference whether you are religious or not.

There are crazy atheists and crazy religious people and even a few crazy agnostics: all of those minorities are as bad as each other
0 Replies

RDanneskjld

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:22 am
@SantaMonica1369,
I would never brand myself an Atheist, i could never disprove the existence of a God(s). So any position of intellectual integrity has to contain a certain degree of agnosticism. What worry's me is the way that many religious people take a position which contains no degree of agnosticism.

In a sense does the possibility of a 'God' effect the descions I make in my life then I would answer with a resolute No. It is in this sense that I could be defined as an Atheist.

Dogmatic positions at either end of the spectrum are bound to cause problems. We should always be willing to challenge our belief's. This should be key in our approach to all the important questions, that we will be faced with.
Khethil

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:21 pm
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld wrote:
I would never brand myself an Atheist, i could never disprove the existence of a God(s)...

It hasn't anything to do with proof. It has to do with what you believe (or don't, or neither)
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:56 pm
@Khethil,
But what one believes may very well be related to what one (thinks they) can or cannot prove.
Khethil

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But what one believes may very well be related to what one (thinks they) can or cannot prove.

Yes, and it may not.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:30 pm
@Khethil,
But the very fact that what one (thinks they) can or cannot prove can influence belief means that what someone believes can have a great deal to do with what they (think they) can or cannot prove.

What someone can or cannot prove might have a great deal to do with belief. In the case of R. Danneskjold, what he can or cannot prove seems to influence his belief.
Khethil

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:20 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But...

Surely, and the litany of other factors that have a potential bearing on ones' belief are at least as vast as people themselves are.
AWohlfarth

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:23 pm
@Khethil,
God, Yaway, Allah, Shiva, Dana (Celtic), Inti (Inca), Odin (Norse), Ukko (Finnish):not-so-fast: ...well you get the point.

Their are not only two options. Most turn away from Christianity to Atheism...so yes maybe their isnt this one supreme "figure" as we have embodied. There is also other religions though, Theravada Buddhism is based in philosophy, it is often times even called a "Athiest" religion by the less open-minded. At any rate it shows a higher sense of a overall...balance or force. So we are not restricted to do or die from Christianity.